UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 08-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #76
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I used Sparknotes for some of them, but I actually sat down and read 1984, Great Gatsby, Huck Finn, and some others that I'm forgetting.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #77
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKI.N View Post
If we're talking about books we read in HS, my favorite was Life of Pi. Anyone here read it?
i had to read that for my Theology class in college

i do remember it being fairly entertaining, but its been a while since i read it.

Last edited by GrJackass; 08-01-2011 at 08:33 PM.
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #78
S_M
Volcano Badge

Send a message via AIM to S_M
>1984

A great book, I read it a few years back.

>Great Gatsby

Another really good book that I loved.

>Huck Finn

I consider it a great flaw in my education that I've never read it. I'm going to have to add it to my list of books, which is slowly growing again.

In an SMLOTR update, I just finished The Two Towers. Much better than the Fellowship IMO. I didn't realize how attached I was starting to get to the characters until halfway through whenever it switched from Pippin/Gandalf/et al to Frodo and Sam; I was actually moderately pissed off even though I realize it's necessary for the plot to continue on. I think it would have been better to alternate the chapters between the two plots but oh well.

On to Return of the Kingggg
156 KOs - 376 TP - 10.75 SP
S_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #79
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
Well, I'll join in on this by picking some of my favorite books in MS.

Treasure Island and Dracula were definitely my favorite books I read within the last three years, and I wouldn't mind reading either a again once or twice. Pride & Prejudice and War of the Worlds were both pretty good, though they often got dry for me. Tried reading Sense and Sensibility, but couldn't get through a few chapters because it bored me. Hated Lord of the Flies, though I had to read it so that mighr be part of it.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #80
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos
I just started reading Game of Thrones because of all the hubbub, has anybody read these/watched the HBO series? Any good?
So far I enjoy it, but I'm still skeptical as all the main characters are under 14.

Trainer Level 5 - KOs:106 TP:274.5 SP:7.5 C+ Referee
Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #81
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebos View Post
I just started reading Game of Thrones because of all the hubbub, has anybody read these/watched the HBO series? Any good?
So far I enjoy it, but I'm still skeptical as all the main characters are under 14.
I'm considering getting the books myself - watched the series in a marathon recently and would highly recommend it. It gets bonus funny points if you're British for the political commentary.

Also don't worry, the actresses are hot enough to make you forget about their 'real' ages.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Spoiler: show

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #82
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
>Implying Eddard, Catelyn, Tyrion et al are under 14

Trust me, although there are a fair few characters under 14, there are a lot of characters in general.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #83
GrJackass
Night Man

yea saw the show in marathon also, the series everyone is age appropriate for the most part. and man is that khal drogo dreamy... /sigh

but yea there are wayyy to many characters and i think maybe (in the show i think only about 4 of them are actually under 16, and toss in two more for the book)

i started reading the book but i stopped reading in general these last two weeks cause i havent really found the time to. but from what i hear the series is accurate to the book. but you loose some things like the fact that

Vserys Targaryen is a complete skitzo (in the show he just looks like an asshole)
Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #84
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Finished The Picture of Dorian Gray, Dune, and Othello within the past few weeks. Loved them, although I'm really starting to think that Shakespeare's reputation has been inflated. Oscar Wilde is wonderful. And Dune was awesome.

Currently reading 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #85
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Finished The Picture of Dorian Gray [...] Oscar Wilde is wonderful.
This cat had a very different opinion about the book.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #86
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Well, then again I am a philosopher.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #87
S_M
Volcano Badge

Send a message via AIM to S_M
Finished Return of the King. :O I was a little confused when I got 3/4 of the way through it and the Ring got destroyed and there was still like 80 pages left, but yeah. I'm glad that the 2nd and 3rd books were better and more action filled than the first because I'd never have gotten through them.

Beach this coming week so I doubt I'll be reading anything until the week after that. I'm going to try out the Hunger Games series I guess since I've had it recommended to me.
156 KOs - 376 TP - 10.75 SP
S_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #88
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Bumpasaur.

Finished A Clash of Kings (sequel to Game of Thrones) whilst on holiday - I thought it was pretty damned good. I'll inevitably dig out the third one before too long. Also am currently reading Neeful Things (Stephen King). Seems fairly standard King, nothing particular to recommend it over other novels, but it's certainly readable.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #89
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
Am currently reading A Storm and Swords: Part Two (Book 3.5/4 depending on how you look at it) and am really enjoying it so far. Previously, I picked up the Hunger Games series when I saw them going cheap in Waterstones, and read through them in a few days. They were pretty spectacular for young adult fantasy. I really enjoyed them.

As soon as I've finished A Song of Fire and Ice, I'm not sure what I'll read next. If anyone has any recommendations for book series that I am likely to find in my bookshop at town (it's generally quite well stocked as a store), that would be much appreciated.
Handymankg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #90
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

They released the next book of the series- A Dance with Dragons in July, but they are still only available in hardcover at the moment.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #91
Dark Magic
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Dark Magic
Need to read Game of Thrones, Hunger game, Romance of 3 Kingdoms, finish catching up on Dragon lance series, jeez I am so far behind. Damn you Clauswitz and your book On War, why do you have to be so dry that I can't finish you!
Dark Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #92
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Magic View Post
Need to read Game of Thrones, Hunger game, Romance of 3 Kingdoms, finish catching up on Dragon lance series, jeez I am so far behind. Damn you Clauswitz and your book On War, why do you have to be so dry that I can't finish you!
BITCH! you may have been drunk but i do believe you said you'd read the taltos series next (/takes off belt)

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
Old 11-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #93
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

More people need to read The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #94
Dark Magic
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Dark Magic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrJackass View Post
BITCH! you may have been drunk but i do believe you said you'd read the taltos series next (/takes off belt)
I'll read it next then, just never take my words seriously when I am completely inebriated. My recollections are sketchy at best ^^;
Dark Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:44 AM   #95
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Reading through the complete Sherlock Holmes, it's a quite enjoyable series.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #96
Torkoal Stu
This

I can't believe I didn't realise there was a Book or Music thread~
I hope no one minds this shameful bump though D:

So anyway for 2012 I wrote out a list of 'goals' (I guess) of things I want to achieve by the end of the year. And one of them was to read a certain number of non-course/study/education related books. Because for the last few years, minus the odd autobiography/Harry Potter books/other random books, I really haven't read much.

This week I read The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time, which (for anyone who has read it) is insanely easy to read due to the writing style. But it was such an amazing book. I found myself utterly fixated upon everything in it. I read it in about 2 days but, like I said, an utterly amazing book.

Now I've moved onto One Day (by David Nicholls), it is now a film starring Anne Hathaway, which I've wanted to read for some time and I'm purposefully putting off watching the film until after I read the book. I'm about a quarter of the way through it and so far it's pretty good. I'm quite a sap for romantic books though, so I dunno if many other people here who like it that much? But then if you're into that sort of thing, definitely pick it up~

I'm also planning to read The Millennium Series (The Girl...With The Dragon Tattoo/Who Played With Fire/Who Kicked The Hornets) at some point this year too. Which I've heard some amazing things about. So hopefully I can finish One Day and get those on the go soon. I've been meaning to see the films for some time too, especially as they just released that American remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. So I guess once I read the books I'll probably give that a look.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #97
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
This week I read The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time, which (for anyone who has read it) is insanely easy to read due to the writing style. But it was such an amazing book. I found myself utterly fixated upon everything in it. I read it in about 2 days but, like I said, an utterly amazing book.
Good man, Stu. I read this book a few years back and loved it.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #98
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Just finished "Alexander of Macedon", and enjoyed it thoroughly. He was exceptionally forward thinking and had all of his generals keep journals as they went which adds a lot of depth to what could otherwise have been a fairly dry narrative. If he had lived longer it seems society could have advanced much further and much faster, and who knows where we would be now.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #99
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Good man, Stu. I read this book a few years back and loved it.
I think what I loved best about it is that it just felt so real. Like I genuinely felt like I knew the main character. Which is surprising because the author has no real knowledge about the aspects he was taking on with the character, so it was certainly ambitious and I'd say it definitely paid off. Like apparently he gets a lot of flack for not knowing exactly how some of the aspects and thought processes of the character would have actually worked. But at the same time it is just a fictitious story rather than a factual guide so I feel the author did an incredible job and pulled off the story and the characters really well. If you get me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
Just finished "Alexander of Macedon", and enjoyed it thoroughly. He was exceptionally forward thinking and had all of his generals keep journals as they went which adds a lot of depth to what could otherwise have been a fairly dry narrative. If he had lived longer it seems society could have advanced much further and much faster, and who knows where we would be now.
Oooh, that's pretty interesting :0

Last edited by Torkoal Stu; 01-07-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #100
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
*adds to Must Read list*
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment