UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #1551
phoopes
Double Dragon

>Card games on roller coasters

Lolwut? Is this the new thing in the anime?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #1552
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I liked riding my motorcycle on Saturn's rings.

The roller coaster duels...they're too chaotic, it's hard to follow the turn order when people just jump in and out. Moreover, Yuma's skill scaling to the level of his opponents (when they suck, he sucks) was really annoying. He first turn summons GoGoGo Golem in EVERY DUEL, why can't that happen with GaGaGa Magician/Girl? I want to see Kibou Hope ramming his Hopekens up the opponent's rear, not Bull Warriors charging blindly into a trap card.

Why play GoGoGo Golem anyway? I liked it better when it was a tuner called DARK RESONATOR.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #1553
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Card games on motorcycles is already pretty stupid (whether the independent story is good or not is a completely separate matter), but did they really ramp up the stupid and do card games on rollercoasters? Seriously? What next? Card games while skydiving? Card games on rockets? Card games beyond the event horizon of a black hole?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #1554
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Card games on motorcycles is already pretty stupid (whether the independent story is good or not is a completely separate matter), but did they really ramp up the stupid and do card games on rollercoasters? Seriously? What next? Card games while skydiving? Card games on rockets? Card games beyond the event horizon of a black hole?
Post of the day, man. XD

This is basically my thoughts exactly. I was reluctant to watch 5D's because of the motorcycles (and even less likely now because of it happening IN SPACE), but now I've really lost hope for finding any of the anime after Yami left that I'd enjoy at all.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #1555
quintowill
Soul Badge

Send a message via AIM to quintowill Send a message via MSN to quintowill Send a message via Yahoo to quintowill Send a message via Skype™ to quintowill
Insert Space Core here...

43ko 123tp 6.5 sp
Banner by KratosAurion

Note: banner is not up to date...
Old 05-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #1556
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Honestly, as long as they make it more exciting than 'card games in a local game shop' then that's good. The first arc of the cardfight! vanguard anime is COMPLETELY in a card shop tournament. It got really boring really fast, and I grew to miss the motorcycles of yugioh quickly. You don't know what you have until you lose it

Thanks Pengy!

Watching every episode of pokemon

Most Recent Episode: Se3 Ep133 - Fighting Flyer With Fire
Old 05-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #1557
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
This is basically my thoughts exactly. I was reluctant to watch 5D's because of the motorcycles (and even less likely now because of it happening IN SPACE), but now I've really lost hope for finding any of the anime after Yami left that I'd enjoy at all.
It's actually not as bad as it sounds, just a bit of a ridiculous premise.

The roller coasters thing is really only for the current tournament arc in ZeXal. The people who collected the correct amount of Heart Pieces (no not Star Chips, Locator Cards or Genex Medals) went into a "let's weed out the weaklings round" of the tournament in which they ride on rollercoasters. It is rather complicated at first glance but once you understand how it works it becomes less so.

From the wiki:

Quote:
Description
A complete set of Heart Pieces is the starting key for each Duelist's coaster.
When a Duelist's Life Points hit zero, they are ejected from their car and parachuted down. The empty car is switched to a different track and the winner continues on.

There are special spots on the track, with Spell and Trap Card markings. If a Duelist goes over one of these spots, they will activate the card's effect.

Trap Points have effects that inflict Effect Damage ("Secret Barrel", "The Paths of Destiny", and an unnamed trap that dealt 200 points of damage) while Spell Points have effects that let you gain life points ("Dian Keto the Cure Master", "Mooyan Curry", and "Rain of Mercy").

This incorporates a new element of luck and strategy, as one could be on the verge of defeat but can also find themselves revived or unexpectedly defeated. Life Points don't reset every time there's a new duel.[1] As such, skills such as handling speed, keeping track of which lanes your opponents are in, and keeping in mind the amount of Life and the type of cards set along the track add for a much more unpredictable Duel style.

Rules
The following are known rules of this system.

There are no turns. Duelists may Normal Summon monsters and activate Spell and Trap Cards whenever they wish.

Draw Phases are conducted only when a Duelist hits a Draw Point.

Monsters cannot be Set, they must be Normal Summoned in Defense Position.

You may only attack another Duelist if they are on the same lane as you and in front of you. Also, you can switch lanes in order to avoid attacks.

You begin with 4000 Life Points, which are not restored after each Duel.
Ramming your opponents is legal.

A player may use their allies' monsters for a Fusion or Xyz Summon.

Players may set Spell and Trap cards on the coaster in order to damage other players with their effects. (as seen with Droite and "Poison of the Butterfly")
Old 05-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #1558
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Actually, there are no card games on roller coasters. kusari and I have been in on the joke, we've led you all astray.

They're actually card games on monorails.

One problem I have watching the YGO anime now (post-5D's) is when I watch the duels, I get irritated the characters aren't consistently making smart plays. Especially this deep into the series, which is a check against the writers. There's a bit of novelty in the original show when players use long since limited or banned cards (it's like playing with fire) but far less here in ZeXal.

Yuma claims one can understand someone through a duel...which I believe, because I've experienced it playing mahjong. Granted, one learns a lot more through the intricacies of mahjong play than YGO, where one extrapolates personality primarily through card choice.

Well, as a duelist now, what do I get from the anime duels? The characters in ZeXal don't often think or do really stupid stuff. Like, summon one monster in attack mode, end turn! WHY? At this stage of the story, the World Duel Carnival finals, that's just not acceptable or realistic play.

I'm not expecting Normal Summon, set four, but the writers can't help but set-up Yuma for come-back after come-back. It diminishes how special come-backs really are if the guy with the lowest LP always wins! 5D's sort of had this problem, but like BBB tells me, Yuma consistently top-decks one card to completely turn the duel around. It was really hard to do damage to Yusei and the opponents had to pull all sorts of crazy moves to actually hurt him enough to suspend disbelief that he doesn't lose duels.

The duels I enjoy the most in ZeXal are Shark's, because he's a smart duelist who understands the mechanics and can manipulate them. His idea on how to beat Numbers was great. I also really liked (and was horrified by) IV's duel where his monster ate Tetsuo and Takashi's monsters. Elsewise, I'm more interested in the non-duel plot-lines.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #1559
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
The duels I enjoy the most in ZeXal are Shark's, because he's a smart duelist who understands the mechanics and can manipulate them. His idea on how to beat Numbers was great. I also really liked (and was horrified by) IV's duel where his monster ate Tetsuo and Takashi's monsters. Elsewise, I'm more interested in the non-duel plot-lines.
Gotta agree with this completely. Though III, IV and V are really growing on me as well as Kaito, Gauche and Droite. Honestly, as long as a member of Yuma's nakama isn't dueling, I find it good (except when the aforementioned six duelists are dueling the nakama).
Old 05-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #1560
phoopes
Double Dragon

>Card games on monorails

Sounds like a huge fustercluck to me. I'd rather see a real duel played by the rules than something on motorcycles, in space, or on roller coasters monorails.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #1561
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
>Card games on monorails

Sounds like a huge fustercluck to me. I'd rather see a real duel played by the rules than something on motorcycles, in space, or on roller coasters monorails.
Again, the Cardfight! Vanguard anime took this approach with their first arc. The entire thing was about the main character playing through a local card shop tournament. This was awesome for learning how to play the new card game, and my friends and I loved watching it just for the nuances, but after we got a hang of the rules the show got repetitive fast. Why both watching the anime play regular boring duels when we could just duel each other? We realized that the gimmicks in the YGO anime really helped spice things up more than we realized as it added a new level of fantasy we couldn't experience in real life, which was pretty awesome.

If you don't believe me, try it out yourself. Watch the anime for Cardfight! Vanguard. Apparantly it gets much better later, but I stopped watching it shortly after the first story arc

Thanks Pengy!

Watching every episode of pokemon

Most Recent Episode: Se3 Ep133 - Fighting Flyer With Fire
Old 05-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #1562
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Quote:
>Card games on monorails

Only the coasters/monorails have made major changes to the rules. Motorcycles/Space were exactly the same rules as normal except with 'Speed Spells' which were simply made to make the usage of Traps more important (at least the way I see it).

Besides, coasters/monorails are only for this particular round of this tournament. There are still 1v1 duels that go on too (Kaito v IV, V; Droite v Tron; Yuma v Gauche). It's not really something you can knock until you've tried watching it.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #1563
phoopes
Double Dragon

All right, I guess I'll give 5D's a try then. Even if the concept seems a little ridiculous to me, if the rules are 95% the same, then I guess it can't be too bad. The monorails, though, would probably be something that I wouldn't enjoy at all.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #1564
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I wasn't a fan of it, but it wasn't a serious duel mechanic. It was a means to eliminate a lot of fodder characters rapidly (in the span of two episodes) and will probably be forgotten.

I want to duel today, but I'm going to bed for now. If anyone's interested, I'd like to play some games where we start with 20,000 LP, since it'll slow the game way down and provide ample room for comebacks. I'm still adjusting my deck but I do that every day anyway.

I watched a GX episode that featured Hiroko Kasahara, who voiced Sora Akanegasaki in Ever17. My impression of GX-

1. It's a lot like ZeXal.
2. It's very poorly animated.
3. There's a lot of fanservice.
4. The duels are very slow, but things are very "animated". The duel isn't the total focus of the episode like in 5D's.
5. The characters make moves that sort of un-nerve me...like Normal Summoning a monster with 800 attack and ending the turn.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #1565
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

From the five or so episodes I've glimpsed of 5Ds, I actually really want to watch it.

Though that may be partly because the characters have rather unique hair, even compared to other anime characters.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #1566
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I had a pretty amazing duel with a guy who uses Watts. In the first duel, I crushed him. In the second, I couldn't Synchro for most of the duel due to no monsters in grave, and two/three Junk Synchron already there. My opponent also used some spell to gain life for the amount of battle damage inflicted by Watts. He had something like 14,000 LP at one point.

So right after he takes me down to 200 LP, I top-deck Pot of Avarice, and summon my #1 and #2 big killers and hit him for 8800 in one turn. But it wasn't enough...

http://i.imgur.com/Y1IPK.jpg

Ironically, I had Ultimate Offering set, but couldn't use it because I only had 200 LP. If I'd had 700 LP, I could have beat him on that turn.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #1567
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That's impressive and a little heartbreaking. Good try though.

I don't really see why the Watt is that that good. It says its ability kicks in only AFTER it's dealt you damage directly: going in for the attack isn't good enough. So (1) you can always still Mirror Force it or activate other relevant traps and (2) the effect will expire in time for the start of your turn anyway. That stated, it does still seem like it could be a nuisance.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:48 AM   #1568
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

One of the heroines in Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2011: Over the Nexus uses Watts. They're at their worst with the field spell.

Today I had a similarly intense duel to the one yesterday, against a guy who uses Worms like Shuckle. I had a reasonably strong hand starting out and managed to get two Level 8 Synchros on Turn 1, and then he threw an assortment of traps against me to slow the onslaught progress. His initial set looked to be Solemn Warning, Solemn Judgment, Torrential Tribute, Book of Moon and two monsters. He used Solemn when I tried to summon Brionac, then SJ BLS after failing to Torrential Tribute it. When I summoned Formula Synchron, he BOM'd Stardust Dragon.

At one point I had him down to 300 LP and I was at a full 8K, but I top-decked poorly for some turns and he managed a comeback by summoning a Worm King. The Worm King gave me trouble until I drew Pot of Avarice, recycling key cards. I got out Hyper Librarian, went into Scrap Dragon, killed the Worm King, then went into Void Ogre and re-summoned BLS to win.

The worms didn't give me the trouble, but the counter-traps and massive back-row spam was really crippling, but what I'm proud of now is I've worked on my deck enough to be able to recover from that. It feels like a long time ago that an Effect Veiler on Junk Synchron = auto-lose.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #1569
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

>Sees Wattgiraffe card

Hnnnnnnng I want to play that them just becuase Adorbs. D:
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #1570
RoseradeX
Pokemon Trainer

Misaki killed me once. Maybe twice. But, my deck was pretty weak. I like all the color though. BD
Old 07-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #1571
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Misaki

?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #1572
deoxys
Fog Badge

And then there were Seal of the Orichalcos decks everywhere.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #1573
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm going to use it. I'm TOTALLY going to find a way to use it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #1574
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Remember when we played this all the damn time? Yeah, me neither ._.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #1575
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I still do just that. By myself.

Ha ha ha, solitaire joke!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment