UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 05-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Who says they have to be remakes?

Face it. Ruby/Sapphire are the beginning of the PKMN series in both story and gameplay. Your Pokémon from those games live on through to the current era while any prior to those games do not. They were a reboot of the series their colors are even Red/Blue/Green! Sooo ya know what? It'd be boring ta go back in time.

Hoenn needs an X-years later like Kanto got except not nearly as sucky. They can keep the map/towns/stuff relatively the same to keep costs down (ignoring the fact that they'd be making these on a system 2 or 3 generations from the original and as such assets really couldn't be re-used) while changing just enough to make the region seem like its taking place some time later. Do something with New Mauville, have the sunken ship actually be sunken so Dive is needed to reach it to begin with, and stuff.

Neo Aqua & Neo Magma is a no brainer. Some new guy would lead Aqua while Maxie (cause he seemed like more of a dick) would have control of Magma again. Have the occasional team-up battles with an older Wally/Archie/Gym-Elite throughout the story. Maybe through May & Brendan deep into Meteor Falls Red-style.

Is it corny? Generic? Unoriginal? Yes but hey thats what remakes are in the first place! Giving us something abit new ta chew on would be pretty sweet. And in general Hoenn/Gen3 needs a shot at redemption in the eyes of many haters!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I would like something like this but I don't see it happening. Lengthy reasoning explained below.

Spoiler: show
X years later was one of the really cool things in Gen 2, but back then everyone was united behind it. Now you're asking the fanbase to love Gen 3 enough -- which I wish they did, but I do not believe they do -- to get behind an X years later sequel for Gen 3. I just don't see that happening. It worked in Gen 2 for a number of reasons ...

- it helped connect the new world (Johto) to the old world (Kanto) without violating or impeding upon the original games' narrative

- it was used to justify bringing in an old enemy in a new land

- you eventually made the trip to the old world and got to see the timeskip versions of some of your most cherished places and characters

This last bullet is probably the most important point for most fans and it's something you can never again reproduce. Back when RBY were all that existed, we all played -- and replayed, and replayed again -- our RBY cartridges. We watched -- and rewatched, and rewatched again -- the Kanto anime episodes because 4Kids had not yet brought the bulk of the post-Koga episodes stateside yet and so we just watched Eps 1-40 over and over and over again. Because of this, we became very emotionally attached, as children and as fans, to the specific cities and people of Kanto. That's why there was an actual emotional impact by having Cinnabar become an obsidian wasteland. That's why it actually mattered when we saw "WTF!? Koga's now a part of the Elite 4!?" That was why it was crazy-cool to us that Lance, the dragon master from Gen 1, was teaming up with us two-thirds of the way through the pre-E4 story mode.

I don't think you could reproduce that with Gen 3. I wish you could, but ...

- Gen 3 is constantly under attack from Kuno and others as being the worst generation ever; and while it certainly is not the worst gen ever, those who rank it in the top 2 of 5 gens are few. I'm one, but I realize I'm in the minority. Most people seem to place Gen 3 at either Position 3 or 4.

- Even though I liked Gen 3 myself, even I don't remember all of the city names or the Gym Leaders' names without using Bulbapedia. Like ... I remember off the top of my head city names like Verdantuff, Pacifidlog Town, Petalburg, Dewford, and Slateport, but I have to really sit there and try to remember the tree-top town with ... Wynona, was it? And I can't remember Roxanne's city. As for Gym Leaders, I guess I remember them better than I think I do (just listed them all off in order in my head), only one I have doubts on is that flying gym girl (Wynona?). But for me, were these characters nearly as memorable as the RBY ones? Of course not. And were the cities? Heavens no. Whereas seeing Celadon City once again brought a big smile to my face in Pokemon Silver, I don't think seeing Mauville or "New Dewford" or anything would have the same effect. If they had one of the cities get wrecked by a natural disaster, it'd feel like a rip off of what happened to Cinnabar. (Or an homage, I suppose. But either way it wouldn't have the same impact Cinnabar's did.) If they had one of them change in look and feel completely, it'd feel kind of forced since only 3-10 years should have probably passed between RuSaEm and this X years later game, and that's nowhere near long enough for a city's personality to change.

Part of the problem is that The Pokémon Company have taken us to a new continent with the hinted-at desire to expand upon that continent's land rather than returning to Japan country of unspecified identity and lending us more regions there. As such, you're not going to get to have the "Hoenn X years later via _ _ _ _ _ 0 years later" scenario that you did with Gen 2 and how Johto's 0 years later was Kanto's 3 years later. Instead, you'd be asking TPC to take us back to Hoenn for Hoenn's sake alone and to give us a timeskip game. Cool ... I guess ... but I just don't see it happening.

If this was going to happen, it needed to happen while we were still in Japan country of unspecified identity. Player goes on adventures in Region X and then post-E4 decides to go on vacation to the south where it's sunny and warm and stuff and OH WOW NEW GYMS. Probably could have worked if they had made Gen 4 a little colder (instead of having Snowpoint be the only city to really look cold), but whatever. It's too late now.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Bluejolteon
Boulder Badge

the saddest part is, most likely ppl will never experience the sort of emotional attachment to anime/games like talon mentioned anytime soon, if ever ):

You talkin to me?
Bluejolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

That many people don't like the games/region is why they need an upgrade like this. Straight remakes won't win anyone over. Groudons drought could've dried up parts of the much hated (not by me!) sea routes giving ya a small sandbar to run across (like Unova Route 13). Kygores storm could've flooded Dewford Town making it have to move ontop of the Granite Cave hill/mountaintop (Cinnabar Island mkII basically). Using progress and the legendaries activitys in the past as excuses ta change things people didn't like and give the games a second chance.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos
I think Hoenn was by far my favorite continent, so a remake/re-imagining would be excellent in my eyes. That said, I highly doubt Game Freak will just bust out a new and improved version that isn't a direct remake. They've set no such precedent before.

Trainer Level 5 - KOs:106 TP:274.5 SP:7.5 C+ Referee
Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Kuno Fan
Kuno > N

Honestly, I quite liked Hoenn myself, and it'd be cool to have a remake. Like Talon, I'm one of the few who places it as second, but, also like Talon, I find that there we a BIT too many complicated towns and cities. Although the IDEA of Groudon and Kyogre effecting the cities is really cool, I'm honestly just excited about the idea of flat-out remakes like FR/LG, HG/SS.

and the art thread that i'll be trying to breathe life back into lol
Kuno Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON