UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 07-30-2019, 05:56 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Boozeneyland

A Disneyland rant has been triggering millennials who have appropriated Disneyland as a place to drink alcohol, meet Tinder hookups (and copulate in the bathrooms) and soak in '90s nostalgia.

And it's creepy as f-.

My sister is guilty of this, as I stated in the EB thread quite some time ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Is my sister mentally ill?

She is obsessed with Disney, to an amount that goes beyond my dad (who is a compulsive hoarder) has with his interests. She's constantly singing Disney, plastering her room and car with Disney songs, flies to Disneyland by herself on weekends...and takes pictures of herself, by herself, in Minnie Mouse gear and uploads it to who knows where. She doesn't have Facebook so where is she uploading that stuff to...?

These Disney flights are costing thousands of dollars each month. Like, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that 30% of what she makes is being spent on Walt Disney experiences or memorabilia.

Personally, it's annoying to me. Like she made a huge stink about wanting the whole family to see Coco twice in a row and I said, "instead of watching that dumb movie why don't we visit or neighbours in the local cemetary" and she didn't want to do it. Seems pretty weird to me.
It's still going on and, having not gone to Disneyland in almost 20 years, I was mistaken to think it an illness and not recognize it's a symptom of a greater cultural illness.

Intuitively, I think this is wrong, and I think the indignation that people have toward this is wrong, too. It's the equivalent of a 40 year adult getting petulant and irritable at being denied the ability to ride a Merry Go Round. While not illegal, this used to be considered socially unacceptable. But whether or not it's acceptable or not today doesn't matter, people want to do it, and these people are armed with money and numbers.

Thoughts on this? Am I some fun-hating bastard for looking down on 30somethings going to Disneyland to get smashed/laid ? Or, is society just wacko today, and I'm actually being sensible?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
Sounds like your sister just really likes Disney man smh
Old 07-30-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
??????????????????
Old 07-30-2019, 06:10 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebs View Post
Sounds like your sister just really likes Disney man smh
Well, the talk among the academic is that millennial cynicism and disappointment toward the traditional benchmarks for success (job, marriage, children) is leading them toward an indulgence of nostalgia and/or obsessive brand identification. Basically, Disney is the new alcoholism, although those concepts are not mutually exclusive.

Perhaps it's not recognized as such now, but it looks exactly like a Western version of Japanese otakudom. Not the wattered-down "weabooism" that we tend to have here, honest to goodness otakudom.

My perception of Disneyland is that it should be a safe space for children. Disney originally enforced strict standards of conduct so children would be isolated from the less admirable aspects, since that kind of stuff is everywhere else. I don't think that outputs of millennial cynicism should be in any position to poison the mind of children.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-30-2019, 08:01 PM   #5
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
You realize the article you linked was making fun of the argument you’re making right? I think this is kind of ridiculous tbh, don’t see anything wrong with it at all, and Disney, in fact, does have attractions and features made purely for adults. I’d suggest doing some basic research instead of crapping on your sister for enjoying Disney.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yeah I do, because the actual circumstances of what the woman was complaining about are silly: she's mad about a legitimate issue for the wrong reasons.

When I was last at Disneyland, alcohol wasn't allowed at California Adventure, which has been the case over the past 10 years. But now it's allowed in Disneyland proper, and I personally do not think children should be anywhere close to alcohol-imbibed adults at those particular parks.

Hence, "Boozeneyland".
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-31-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Why did you want to visit a cemetery?

I also think you're probably over blowing this. If you think your sister has toxic spending habits, then you should just speak to her about it. If she can afford the expense, maybe talk to her about establishing longer term goals rather than getting instant gratification. i.e. instead of going to Disneyland every month, she could buy a house or a car or whatever.

I don't know your sister, but it sounds like she has a lot of free time and money and is bored. She likes Disney, so she uses that as a release. She's not insane.

As for booze in Disneyland, its up to a parent to decide whether to allow their child to enter an alcohol permitted park. If you're not comfortable with it, don't visit Disney with your children, but don't annoy others about it. Clearly Disneyland felt they had enough adults visiting the park that they could take advantage of it and balance out the hazards of allowing it i.e. more security. If not, it'll be a problem they have to fix. Disneyland is a private park and it's ultimately a corporate decision.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:03 AM   #8
marlosmiles
Banned

Thanks for share this!
marlosmiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate