UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 06-20-2020, 11:49 PM   #7926
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai
RATING: 7/10 (Good)

You know what this reminds me of, in retrospect?

Muv-Luv Extra

Some of the names are familiar (Shirogane, Kei, Kashiwagi) and the basic setup of a Japanese princess who is trapped by her status and the low-level commoner who dares to love her, not to mention the setting and attire, remind me strongly of Muv-Luv's initial setup.

Like Extra, I found most of the humour to be unfunny, predictable, both, and overall tedious. But the melodrama that is deeper than the tug-of-war between Kaguya and Miyuki is actually compelling because these characters are pretty well developed despite not having major arcs.

They have strong personalities and a lot of little dimensions that build them up as believable, endearing people.

Now, what got me through Extra was the promise of Unlimited, and ultimately, the Alternative. There's no such promise with the Kaguya anime, but I am now bulletproof.

Anyway, I think this anime was really well directed. There were noticeable payoffs to stuff from earlier in the season. The Four Ramen Kings and Kaguya's pillow talk were noticeable. The best part was (by far) the argument two parter. That as was actually funny if a bit predictable, but it was also more "traditional" reaction humour and not the ren'ai keikaku stuff.

I'm going to watch Planetes before S2. I owe that much to BPK, Talon's Ghost and everyone else who saw it years ago.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:27 AM   #7927
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Comedy is subjective. It is probably the most subjective quality of any medium.

I enjoy the incongruity of seeing Kaguya, an intelligent girl with infinite resources plan an intricate and layered plot to trick Shinomiya into confessing to her only for the plot to be ruined by either Shinomiya's wit and stubbornness or some random outside factor like Chika or her own issues. I find most of the romance of the series to be pretty much a non-romance since the romantic angle is purely used as a reason for their battle of wits or creating a comedic scene. Rarely does the romance advance, it's just a backdrop.

I find their battles of wits very enjoyable. Like Light and L from Death Note. They're attempting to trick the other into revealing their hand, except the stakes are infinitely lower.

I mean, we all have differing opinions on things. If you don't enjoy it, don't force yourself to watch it.

EDIT: I see you now rated the whole first season. I still don't think I LIED.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #7928
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai II

Surprise, bleachers! I couldn't take anymore Planetes and ended up watching this. It was easier!

Also, S2 is a massive step up from S1. The production values are much higher, and it's hysterical. The character development is also moving very quickly which was a surprise, since I anticipated more wheel spinning after all that hard-earned progress from S1.

I say again, what a pleasant surprise. Well, there was one thing that bothered me.

Spoiler: show

This picture is completely unedited. Look at that antialiasing. It looks like a low quality JPEG and took me out of the anime immediately. What was going on here? I was suspecting it was a fake moon but no, it was real.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-27-2020, 01:19 AM   #7929
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kaguya-sama Wa Kokurasetai II

I'm on Episode 06, the election. This is pretty interesting to me because I ran for student council VP in high school, as a dual ticket with my buddy who needed some help as he was a crazy commie.

I earned far more votes than him but I was also defeated, since each candidate runs independently. I ran a campaign far closer to Shirogane's than Miyu's, so I feel pretty bad for her.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-04-2020, 02:16 AM   #7930
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu

I've read most of this. This isekai is something of a cross between Isekai Ojisan, Slime Tensei, Shield Hero and Meikyuu de Harem.

Most of the early chapters feel plagiarized right from Slime Tensei, so much so that it's cringey. But once it gets past this part and starts to find its own voice it becomes much more entertaining, to the point that I like this more than everything else except Ojisan (which has better art).

The basic premise is that this kid Makoto is the son of two isekai parents. Based on this lineage, the shinto god Tsukuyomi asks Makoto to become the hero of his parent's world, which is currently overrun by demons. He's doing it as a favour to the goddess of that world.

But when Tsukuyomi introduces him to the goddess, she is revealed to be a shallow thot and denigrades Makoto based on his average looks. She then curses him, and Tsukuyomi for defiling her sanctum by bringing him there, and banishes him to the ends of the earth to die. Tsukuyomi is remorseful about bringing Makoto into this situation and gives him a few powers, then falls asleep. The goddess then brings in two more attractive heroes (a beautiful female student council president and a male model) to protect her human nations against the demons.

The twist is that shortly after arriving in the wasteland, Makoto inadvertendly creates an alternate reality within the isekai, named the Mirage Kingdom, accessible from the wasteland. He takes the discriminated races from the starving wasteland and populates his world with them, while trying to avoid the goddess attention (as she wants to kill him for his ugliness).

You can see how the story imitates Slime Tensei early on.

1. Main guy befriends demihumans
2. Contracts with a dragon
3. Starts a civilization
4. Tries to be friendly with humans

But after this point the story branches off from Slime Tensei. Mainly, Makoto wants to learn about his parents who were part of an ancient race of humans, and to this end he become a merchant.

The Shield Hero comparison comes in with the other two heroes. The male model has a fragile ego because he's a literal child, while the SC president is the weakest in combat. Their factions, being blessed by the goddess, are in direct conflict with Makoto.

Ojisan is because Makoto's average looks are ugly by the isekai standards, and leads him to be discriminated against.

And Meikyuu de Harem because I'm pretty sure Makoto bangs in this. Slime Tensei, Shield Hero were infamous for being sterile despite having the trappings of a more mature story. Meikyuu de Harem was unapolagetic about the role of sex slaves, and Tsuki ga Michibiku is a bit less edgy than that.

My only gripe is that Makoto seems to have some hidden trauma which is why he hasn't banged yet. I hope it is soon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-06-2020, 11:51 PM   #7931
Loki

I finally sat down and watched Magia Record and... I didn't really finish it. Why? Cause it's pretty bad. As I watched a few more episodes, more and more problems kept cropping up and I just lost interest in continuing.

Sadly, it's got the Madoka Magica franchise, but it doesn't really feel the same beyond the setting and some cameos. It doesn't have the deep characters or the psychological despair the original series had and instead Magia Record is based on a mobile gacha game and it really shows.

The show lacks focus and has a conveyor belt of gacha girls coming in and leaving as their short stories end. Meanwhile, the main girl and her plot goes nowhere as she bounces around between other people's problems. There's also a bigger plot point about a possible way to revert magical girls to their normal lives, but there's no signs of this plot point being mentioned beyond the first couple of episodes.

The other issue is that the series is extremely vague about how this story relates to Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Rebellion. Is this before? Is this after? I don't know for sure, but I suspect before due to Mami and Kyoko appearing but not seemingly being close friends like post-Rebellion.

I don't recommend it if you're hoping for more Madoka Magica stuff. The connections to the original series are extremely superficial and really doesn't expand the setting in any meaningful way, nor does it provide a good story of it's own and doesn't give us characters to latch onto. It's truly a soulless product with a Magica paint job and lacks all the things I enjoyed about the original series.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:07 AM   #7932
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

oh noes I was trying to get BPK to watch that. my plans...ruined. :O

Chainsaw Man

I read this. It got good reviews despite being a Jump series, which is a dirty word these days and is usually associated with One Piece style clones. It takes more inspiration from Kimetsu no Yaiba with a fast pace, strong but simple character development and a willingness to surprise/upset the reader.

The manga itself feels like a mix between Another, Berserk, Kimetsu no Yaiba and Silent Hill.

The basic premise is that in the 1970's, devils from heck emerged on the Earth, terrorizing humanity. They are themed after fears and the stronger the fears, the more powerful the devil. Government agencies and private firms formed to kill them, creating "Devil Hunters".

The story takes place in 1997, where an amateur devil hunter named Denji works for the yakuza claiming devil bounties. He was orphaned at an early age and is enslaved by the yakuza to pay off his father's gambling debts. He has no education and minimal social skills, since he spends all his time looking for food. When he couldn't pay, the yakuza took his eye and his kidney to use as devil offerings.

The yakuza eventually contract with the "Zombie Devil" who betrays, murders, and ressurects them as zombies. They try to kill Denji's pet, Pochima the Chainsaw Devil. Both are hacked up, thrown into a dumpster. Pochima uses the last of his strength to merge with Denji to create the titualar "Chainsaw Man", a horrifying Pyramid Head-like devil with a chainsaw head and arms.

The Chainsaw Man is detained by the beautiful Makima, an officer for the Japanese Bureau of Public Safety, and makes him a government Devil Hunter in exchange for food, shelter and (promised) sexual favours.

I like this manga a lot. The only frustration I think is the titular "Chainsaw Man" gets his arse kicked a bit too often, because Denji is a 16 year old boy with the emotional maturty and intelligence of an 8 year old. It takes him a while to mature into a proper person, but it's fascinating to watch unfold.

I hear there's going to be an anime. Will watch.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-07-2020, 10:52 PM   #7933
Loki

I was reading Chainsaw Man for a bit. The gritty bloody violence and the stupid main character was amusing for a while, but kind of got to be old hat after a while.

I started watching the 1988 Legend of the Galactic Heroes and I'm gonna run through all 110 episodes. I was told the DVD and Blu-Ray versions were messed up because they reanimated scenes and the quality was jarring, so I found a Laser Disc version. I'll let everyone know if this truly is a masterpiece anime as I've been told.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:27 AM   #7934
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It seems to be that every attempt at improving on the original OVA, including the gaidens and the remakes, have been less than stellar. The version I watched wasn't very good quality but for this show I don't think the quality matters all that much. Comparatively speaking, it's poorly animated and the visuals are carried by the character designs and art.

Good luck! LOTGH is definitely worth the investment, but it's a marathon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-08-2020, 09:43 PM   #7935
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kaguya-sama

Yo why haven't these folks adapted to Iino's presence in the student council yet? They keep doing extremely embarrassing things as she walks in on them.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #7936
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Tomokazu Suigta talks about his favourite anime:

BORKED
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-09-2020, 08:19 PM   #7937
Loki

I vaguely remember the trailer for Diabolik Lover and how absolutely trashy the show seemed. But thinking back they were probably jumping on the whole Twilight train as it was in full gear around that time. It follows a lot of similar superficial similarities like how the girl is somehow delicious to vampires and how they're abusive to her but she's okay with all that.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #7938
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kaguya-sama - 11

...!!

Huwaaaaaaaaaaaaaat is thiiiiis?!

WTF, this is like some causality conductor nonsense, why the fudge is Kurosawa creeping into Kaguya-sama? I was totally not expecting such a horrific experience to befall best girl Ishigami.

I've been tricked!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #7939
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
WTF, this is like some causality conductor nonsense, why the fudge is Kurosawa creeping into Kaguya-sama? I was totally not expecting such a horrific experience to befall best girl Ishigami.

I've been tricked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboocorsola View Post
Idk if you read our spoiler boxes, but I mentioned earlier Ishigami's arc rather reminds me of OMK in some ways, which is why I became so invested. FWIW S1 barely scratches the surface of it, and S2 will likely only cover the backstory portion.
Tricked nothing, I've been saying this since the beginning. =3= Best girl Ishigami deserves better. ;~;

On another note, I started reading the manga(s) for "My Next Life as a Villainess", being convinced after seeing scans for the spin-off where the protagonist remembers her past life only a year before her doom rather than at eight years old (which is what I expected from the premise in the first place). While the main FRIENDSHUP story is very cute, I'm curious to see how this alternate take will unfold. (Poor Keith... ;() I did also check out the animé, and while I think it handled the final "villain" reveal a bit better, I was surprised by how blatantly they foreshadowed the other big "twist" early on. o.O; I did enjoy some of the extra filler portions, which also made the relationship between Maria and her mother a lot clearer, thankfully. ^^; =')

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 07-10-2020 at 11:42 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #7940
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I remember that comment (now). But (at the time) I never would have imagined it would be like this.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #7941
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
I remember that comment (now). But (at the time) I never would have imagined it would be like this.
It's even worse in the manga, since they left out the panel of...

Ishigami's dad hitting him when he refused to write the apology. =/ The physical abuse as punishment comes up again later in the manga too...

(And this still isn't even the full extent of Ishigami's suffering that leads me to think of Kurosawa. >>; )
Old 07-11-2020, 02:53 AM   #7942
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai S2

Despite the higher production values and plot progression, I find myself liking S2 less than the previous one. I guess Loki was right and the comedy aspects are really important. With how far Kaguya and Shirogane have progressed, their interactions felt like spinning wheels compared to the others.

Unlike with S1, I don't feel a burning desire to continue to S3. Strange.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #7943
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai!

This is famous for a meme, "SUGOI DEKAI". A short-haired college girl who looks like 12 has knockers that could ring the Bells of Notre Dame:

Unfortuantely, the show is incredibly dull, and lives off the gap gag of Uzaki's enormous breasts as and her/her sempai's obliviousness to their mutual attraction. I dropped it after skimming the first episode. Really, really boring.

Oyasumi Punpun

Haven't started this yet. The Kurosawa-esque scenes in Kaguya-sama have spooked me a little. I need to lay off the heavy Japanese adolescent bullying/melodrama for a while. I may be bulletproof, but even vests need to be replaced, right?

Chouyoyou

Horrible isekai. Boring and also stupidly written. Don't even want to talk about it. Ultra dropped.

Uchimusume

I hope this is like Usagi Drop without the incest. It's a wholesome fantasy story about an adventurer finding a demon girl child in a forest, next to her dead father. He decides to raise her given the town orphanage is overfilled and under funded.

I seriously, seriously hope this stays kino and doesn't get kinky. Or I'm gonna rage.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #7944
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Onizuka-chan and Sawarida-kun

Really cute romcom between this boy, Sawarida and this oni girl Onizuka. Both are in love with one another but they mutually believe the other is oblivious. Much of the humour is over how little innocuous things are magnified under the lens of scrutiny and innuendo.

This series makes me wonder, in all 24 episodes of the Kaguya anime I don't think there was a single instance of Shirogane or Kaguya speculating on how the other person felt about one another, i.e. empathy. Both wanted the other to confess but I don't think Kaguya ever suspected Shirogane was actually in love with her, though she wanted that.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 07-12-2020 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:47 PM   #7945
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai S2

Despite the higher production values and plot progression, I find myself liking S2 less than the previous one. I guess Loki was right and the comedy aspects are really important. With how far Kaguya and Shirogane have progressed, their interactions felt like spinning wheels compared to the others.

Unlike with S1, I don't feel a burning desire to continue to S3. Strange.
FWIW, S3 will likely end on a good resolution note for the main pair. (Although that means it still won't get into Ishigami's own heartbreak/"harem" hijinks...)

Quote:
Uchimusume

I hope this is like Usagi Drop without the incest. It's a wholesome fantasy story about an adventurer finding a demon girl child in a forest, next to her dead father. He decides to raise her given the town orphanage is overfilled and under funded.

I seriously, seriously hope this stays kino and doesn't get kinky. Or I'm gonna rage.
Bad news:

Talon and I saw this cover back when we first heard of the show, and looking further into it, yeah it's confirmed... =x
Old 07-12-2020, 02:28 PM   #7946
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboocorsola View Post

Bad news:

Talon and I saw this cover back when we first heard of the show, and looking further into it, yeah it's confirmed... =x
WHAT.

NO.

GOD DANG IT

WTF

Wait, are we sure that he is the groom in this or is he the "father of the bride"?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #7947
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
WHAT.

NO.

GOD DANG IT

WTF

Wait, are we sure that he is the groom in this or is he the "father of the bride"?
I didn't look too deep into it at the time in hopes it would be the latter, but people are indeed saying...

...They have sex and get married later on in the story. >>;

So yeah. =/ UsaDrop 2.0, it seems.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:32 PM   #7948
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear anything and try to finish the season. I checked the last episode and Latina stays a child, so there's nothing bad in this season.

It looks more interesting than Usagi Drop on the basis that there's a morality issue. Dale (Latina's foster father) is often hired to assassinate demons, the same species as Latina. It's a little like how people can have a pet farm animal but still eat farm animals...that awkwardness.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-15-2020, 01:26 AM   #7949
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

When I was watching Mitsudomoe, BBB told me that he thought the author was a woman, from the art style. I thought that given the off-the-wall lolipedo jokes and visuals there was no way such a dirty manga could come from the mind of a woman. Mitsudomoe was, in some ways, more extreme with its perversion than the bonafide hardcore on exhentai.

I was confident in this assessment because the author's name is "Sakurai Norio", Norio being a masculine first name. But in looking up the author while searching for a new manga, Boku no Kokoro no Yabai yatsu...

...she's a woman. And a young one.

Holy fudge, I can't believe that. Probably the filthiest manga I read came from that brain. Is this what they call, "gap moe"?

Anyway, that new manga is pretty cute. The art style isn't as repulsive as Mitsudomoe, and the characters are in middle school, not elementary school. It's billed as a typical romcom but it's not at all. Let's see where it goes.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-15-2020, 06:01 PM   #7950
Loki

This is the 21st century Doppel. Women are equal to men in every way, so if men are perverts, so are women.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime