UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 07-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Dream World Q&A

Creating this thread because (from what I could find) none of the older threads really fit the idea I have in mind. (Not even Kuno's aptly titled "Dream World guide" thread, which ended up being nothing more than a question about how to sign onto the Dream World for the first time and claim a special Eeveelution giveaway.)

I'll go ahead and lead off with the questions I have.

Q1. Does it matter who I drop off in the Dream World?
  • Does their species matter?
  • Level?
  • Type?
  • Happiness?
  • Gender?
  • Other?
For example, does dropping off a Fire type mean you have better chances, worse chances, or the same chances of encountering a Fire type DW Pokémon than if you dropped off a non-Fire type?

Q2. Are all areas immediately accessible to beginners? Or do you have to unlock higher level areas like you did with the Pokéwalker?

Q3. Is there a trick to getting more berries? I only got one berry out of my Dream World romp.

Q4. Are there any games known to glitch the Flash applet? My Flash applet froze (music played forever but visuals never showed up) when I tried to play a treasure chest game with a wild Throh in the park. Random bad luck? Or a familiar glitch?

Q5. When my game glitched on me, I had already befriended a Pineco and a Carnivine in the park. I then refreshed and was taken to a new world, the ice cave. There I befriended a Drilbur and someone else. When I reached the tree at the center of the world, I had my choice of one Pokémon from amongst the four I'd encountered between both realms, not just the two I'd encountered in the ice cave. Did I get lucky and can't rely on this happening again in the future? Or is this a known trick you can abuse to shop around and collect as many DW Pokémon as possible before making your one choice for the day?

Q6. Speaking of one choice for the day, the thumbtack board in your house seems to support up to ten DW friends at a time, but I was not allowed back onto the rainbow once I'd chosen a DW Pokémon to come with me (which happened to be Drilbur). If there's a limit of only one DW friend you can take with you per day (seems like it), and if most people are going to want to import a friend ASAP because you can only import one friend a day, what's even the point in allowing you to have up to ten different ones on the thumbtack board? Isn't that sort of dumb? Doesn't that mean that they're all perpetual prisoners of the Dream World forever unless you forego rainbow exploration over and over until the thumbtack board clears?

Q7. Is there any way to tell in advance if a DW Pokémon is female and has its DW ability? Or can you not find out until after you've played the minigame with it and befriended it?

Q8. If you ever fail a minigame (hasn't happened to me yet, but ...), do you get another try with the Pokémon? Or does it run away?

Q9. Is there ever any merit in going backwards? I did this a few times in the ice cave and noticed that it seemed to sometimes increase my steps taken towards the world tree but other times didn't. It seemed kind of random to me, too. But every time I press forward, I was always getting one step closer to the tree. So I figured I should ask -- are the areas actually mapped out with fixed room locations? Or are they (as I originally thought) randomly generated every time you click to go anywhere?

Q10. Are there any known tricks or secrets with regards to area navigation? For example, Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right Up Down nets you a Mew. (Crazy example, but you get what I'm saying.)

Q11. What determines where you encounter a legendary? Are they in a special area?

Q12. Is the limit of one dream world romp per day true? I saw that one site suggested it was only 20 hours long, not 24. Is this true? (I went in last night around 11:30pm, so if the 20-hour limit is true then I guess I can go back in in about an hour.)

Q13. Is there any merit to leaving a Pokémon behind in the Dream World for longer than one night? Was I too hasty to drop Darumaka off only to call her back out once my hour had almost run out? Should I have left her there for days? Weeks?

Q14. Is decorating your house just for fun? Or does it actually improve your chances of finding good Pokémon in the Dream World?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Toyo
hail

I'll answer the questions I know for sure, but anything that hasn't been answered here means that I don't know.

Q2. No, there's a "Dream Point" system. The number of Dream Points you have should be visible on your Profile.

Q6. That's more or less for the occasional give away; i.e. Birthday Togekiss, Halloween Banette, Random Arceus.

Q7. You can only tell after playing the minigame.

Q8. The Pokemon flees and you don't get a chance to catch it.

Q9. Moving backwards usually doesn't count as a step. The maps are preplanned, it's just random what you encounter within.

Q11. I'm pretty sure they're only available in special events.

Q13. Nope.
Toyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Honestly you should just use the Dream World Hack, it removes all of the tedium that the Dream World has.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Q1. Does it matter who I drop off in the Dream World?
  • Does their species matter?
  • Level?
  • Type?
  • Happiness?
  • Gender?
  • Other?
For example, does dropping off a Fire type mean you have better chances, worse chances, or the same chances of encountering a Fire type DW Pokémon than if you dropped off a non-Fire type?
Level/Happiness/Species/and Gender don't matter. Certain types increase the chance of ending up in certain areas, but as far as I know, don't effect the chances of certain Pokemon appearing.

Quote:
Q2. Are all areas immediately accessible to beginners? Or do you have to unlock higher level areas like you did with the Pokéwalker?
Some are unlocked at the beginning, others require a certain amount of Dream Points and/or badges. Also, some Pokemon don't appear in an area until you have a certain amount of Dream Points.

Quote:
Q3. Is there a trick to getting more berries? I only got one berry out of my Dream World romp.
Not that I'm aware of. Pretty much, you just have to keep an eye out for the sparkling animation that means there's an item. You can also try and find people with berries on their trade shelves, and of course grow more.

Quote:
Q4. Are there any games known to glitch the Flash applet? My Flash applet froze (music played forever but visuals never showed up) when I tried to play a treasure chest game with a wild Throh in the park. Random bad luck? Or a familiar glitch?
I've never run into this problem, so random bad luck unless others have, I guess?

Quote:
Q5. When my game glitched on me, I had already befriended a Pineco and a Carnivine in the park. I then refreshed and was taken to a new world, the ice cave. There I befriended a Drilbur and someone else. When I reached the tree at the center of the world, I had my choice of one Pokémon from amongst the four I'd encountered between both realms, not just the two I'd encountered in the ice cave. Did I get lucky and can't rely on this happening again in the future? Or is this a known trick you can abuse to shop around and collect as many DW Pokémon as possible before making your one choice for the day?
Not lucky. You can (and should) run through multiple times. When you get to the tree, go back to your island instead of picking a Pokemon. You can cross the bridge and go back through an area again. It generally takes around three trips for me to exhaust items and Pokemon. Once you go through and don't run into any Pokemon or items, then you can pick one at the tree. That way, you get the most items, and more choices.

Quote:
Q6. Speaking of one choice for the day, the thumbtack board in your house seems to support up to ten DW friends at a time, but I was not allowed back onto the rainbow once I'd chosen a DW Pokémon to come with me (which happened to be Drilbur). If there's a limit of only one DW friend you can take with you per day (seems like it), and if most people are going to want to import a friend ASAP because you can only import one friend a day, what's even the point in allowing you to have up to ten different ones on the thumbtack board? Isn't that sort of dumb? Doesn't that mean that they're all perpetual prisoners of the Dream World forever unless you forego rainbow exploration over and over until the thumbtack board clears?
The only time I've brought back multiple Pokemon was when I had events as well to pick up. Other than that, the board is pretty much useless to my knowledge.

Quote:
Q7. Is there any way to tell in advance if a DW Pokémon is female and has its DW ability? Or can you not find out until after you've played the minigame with it and befriended it?
Not that I'm aware of. The score of the minigame determines the move the Pokemon comes with, at least. I think the chance of a female is the same for any Pokemon (except for the ones that are 100% male or female), but you won't know which it is until you complete the minigame. (Pretty sure the default is 75% male, by the way.)

Quote:
Q8. If you ever fail a minigame (hasn't happened to me yet, but ...), do you get another try with the Pokémon? Or does it run away?
I messed of the find-the-Pokemon game once in White, and the Pokemon left, so I would assume that it is the same for B2/W2. You only get one chance.

Quote:
Q9. Is there ever any merit in going backwards? I did this a few times in the ice cave and noticed that it seemed to sometimes increase my steps taken towards the world tree but other times didn't. It seemed kind of random to me, too. But every time I press forward, I was always getting one step closer to the tree. So I figured I should ask -- are the areas actually mapped out with fixed room locations? Or are they (as I originally thought) randomly generated every time you click to go anywhere?
There are several paths, so when you go backwards, you're probably ending up taking one of the others. The steps don't change when you go to a room you've already been in for that attempt (and nothing new spawns in those areas either), so it should only change when you go to a new room.

Quote:
Q10. Are there any known tricks or secrets with regards to area navigation? For example, Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right Up Down nets you a Mew. (Crazy example, but you get what I'm saying.)
Nope, none that I've heard of.

Quote:
Q11. What determines where you encounter a legendary? Are they in a special area?
You can't encounter a Legendary. The only Legendary Pokemon were those available from events, and all of those were simply claimed, and then added to the board. No searching required.

Quote:
Q12. Is the limit of one dream world romp per day true? I saw that one site suggested it was only 20 hours long, not 24. Is this true? (I went in last night around 11:30pm, so if the 20-hour limit is true then I guess I can go back in in about an hour.)
I've always heard 24 hours, but you could always try to get on after 20 and see if it lets you. The worst that would happen is it telling you that you can't go on yet.

Quote:
Q13. Is there any merit to leaving a Pokémon behind in the Dream World for longer than one night? Was I too hasty to drop Darumaka off only to call her back out once my hour had almost run out? Should I have left her there for days? Weeks?
Other than not having to connect to your DS every day, I don't think there's much merit, but I could be wrong. I've never compared the two.

Quote:
Q14. Is decorating your house just for fun? Or does it actually improve your chances of finding good Pokémon in the Dream World?
Once again, I could be wrong, but I ws under the impression that it was just for fun.

I hope that helps.
Schala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Thanks for the answers, guys. Very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
Honestly you should just use the Dream World Hack, it removes all of the tedium that the Dream World has.
"If you're going to do something, do it right" applies to cheating too, I guess I'd say: if I'm going to go to the effort of installing third-party software to make it so that I can scrape all of the DW Pokémon I would have had a chance of encountering on my adventure, I may as well bust open my copy of PokéSav for BW1 instead and create fake egg hatchling females with DW abilities. "I got them from a legit DW mother, I swear! *whistles*" Just make sure the dates are fine (best to make them current) and you have all of the other metadata correct and you should be good to go. Breed one of these hacked females to produce yet another female baby with the DW ability and you should be really good to go, forever, as far as it being a surefire legit Pokémon.

I'm doing this for the same reason I did Pokéwalker stuff despite having PokéSav HGSS back then too: because it's mildly fun. When it becomes not fun, I'll just stop. I'm not trying to bust my back getting every single DW female. Just getting a couple of cool ones would be nice. A Moxie Gyarados or Salamence here, a Skill Link Cloyster there, whatever I happen to get. (Naming evolutions because I dunno what the pre-evolutions have and am too lazy to look. )

Thanks for looking out for me though. I appreciate it.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Skill Link isn't a hidden ability on Cloyster,
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON