UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 04-20-2020, 05:42 AM   #5101
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Fat balance in action. Regrettably, Chansey + Wish + Teleport is not a legal combo.

I wonder if Melmetal qualifies as one of the "best" wallbreakers in natdex? It's remarkably sturdy, even to super effective physical moves. For immediate power, I don't know anything that works better aside from Tapu Lele on the special side.

Even considering the Megas...the clear #1 is Mega Blastoise, followed closely by Mega Metagross. I don't see setup sweepers fitting on fat balance that well.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #5102
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Isn't Corviknight a set-up sweeper though?
Old 04-20-2020, 11:18 PM   #5103
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

No, Corviknight serves as one of the balance core's bulky walls and/or offensive pivots. The idea is endlessly switching between walls that resist or are immune to status (Clefable, Corviknight, Toxapex, Ferrothorn, Seismitoad, Kommo-o, Rotom-Heat) and use Clefable to pass Wishes with Teleport.

Melmetal was voted to remain banned today because it made "fat balance" even worse than it was before. Now there's talk about banning Clefable because this format is far too toxic and unleahtly.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-21-2020, 09:38 AM   #5104
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I've felt like game lately have been unfair, and this proves it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-22-2020, 03:22 AM   #5105
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I built something similar to my OUTM builds to try out the new "fat balance" in Gen VIII OU proper.

Here's the result. There are flaws in this team that I didn't have in December, namely that Dracovish is now banded because Kyurem is way better as a scarfer.

I had an earlier team with Kommo-o in place of Excadrill, but drill is really important for Clefable. But this also leads me to be vulnerable to Excadrill itself.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #5106
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Dracovish should really be banned. It's waaaay too dangerous and powerful. I say that even as someone who normally does mono Water.

At first, a Pelipper + Dracovish sweeper team looks scary. Unless you also have Dracovish.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #5107
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

why your name super poop 20 how old are you
Old 04-30-2020, 01:36 PM   #5108
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

All of my user names have some reference to defecation or rectal discharge, i.e. salty buttmilk or vomiting anus.

I think it's funny and humourous for opponents, while also creating the false perception that I'm an underaged player, since elementary/middle school players are far more likely to be amused by feces gags. That gives me an advantage when I pull advanced maneuvers like the double switch.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-01-2020, 10:00 PM   #5109
Heather
Naga's Voice

Dracovish isn't going to get banned, Seismitoad is seeing some good usage solely for "Water Absorb means I can tell choiced Vish to fuck off and also just switch safely into vish as a rule." Dracovish is a LOT less powerful when the opponent has a 'toad or some other Water Absorber/Storm Drainer in their back pocket, because it really is kind of a one trick pony-even if it gets a fair amount of other biting moves, none of them are powerful enough to perform well coming from Dracovish. So, when Rend isn't such a reliable option, vish as a whole suffers in its usability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:04 AM   #5110
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
why your name super poop 20 how old are you
Sounds like an item name in Binding of Isaac.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #5111
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I have two objections to that logic.

The first is that Seismitoad, while having utility beyond a Dracovish counter, can be taken advantage of when the dex expands. The game I posted is from natdex where Dracovish is consistently sweeping teams once the scarfer or wall is removed since those teams aren't running Water Absorb Pokemon. Even if you can't set up on Seismitoad, simply removing it allows Dracovish to decimate the rest of a team.

The second problem is Dracovish's hidden ability hasn't been released yet. Sand Rush with Choice Band not only gives it an equal power Fishious Rend, but also strengthens Outrage, which doesn't get the Strong Jaw bonus. A banded Outrage is a 2HKO on physically defensive Seismitoad so a misprediction can be easily punished.

Along with Earthquake and Stone Edge, SR+Band doesn't have to risk Ferrothorn Iron Barbs either. I can see it working really well on a sand team with Tangrowth, who easily switches in on Ferrothorn and Seismitoad while resisting EQ. You could also bluff Sand Rush and still run scarf on any team with Hippowdown, who is also good right now.

Adamant Sand Rush Dracovish outspeeds up to +101 scarfers. That means only Garchomp and Serperior commonly outspeed, and neither are currently in the Gen VIII meta.

Here's another game to show what Dracovish can do against a single "scarfer". Doing 30% to Heatran means that's a specs Dragapult, but that was the team's revenge killer. Every time Dracovish was switched in, something died.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 05-02-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:06 AM   #5112
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kommo-o is so freaking clutch right now. Remember how I wrote that it was underrated last year? It's showing off those chops now with the defensive sets, and pairs stupidly well with Heatran. Both cover each other's weaknesses.

Body Press Kommo-o doesn't even fear burns, it can boost past them. I'm not convinced that Earthquake is a good coverage more for this reason, since Toxic Aegislash and Toxapex can push past it anyway.

Didn't have to use Aegislash.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #5113
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Against a "real" OU team that incorporated Mega Tyranitar and Lando-T. More proof at how ridiculous Dracovish is without a dedicated check on the team.

Bulky dragon types sort of work, Haxorus and Hydreigon can eat a Fishious Rend, but man, even resists eat a buttload.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #5114
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

wtf happened here?

wut. I had no answers for that Blacephalon and he switched out for no reason.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #5115
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Scary!, I was afraid of that Dragonite but he got a little too greedy and I was able to stop it. I had no other options at that point.

I like this team but it has a bunch of weaknesses I'm not sure how to solve yet. Gyarados suffers from major 4MSS, namely Waterfall (+STAB), Outrage, and Power Whip all have around the same effective damage output. Meanwhile, Earthquake is weaker, and Bounce needs a Z-Move to be dangerous.

So I'm in an odd spot where Gyarados and Mega Gyarados can pick/choose its checks. Power Whip breaks past Water types like Tapu Fini, but is dead weight against Steels and especially Flying and Dragon types. Earthquake is easily punished with a Flying type or a switch in, which forces Gyarados out if it's also carrying Power Whip.

Really...it needs a stronger STAB than Waterfall, although Waterfall/Twave parahax can be quite useful.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-21-2020, 11:41 PM   #5116
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Probably one of my hardest matchups, the only thing worse would be ANOTHER water resist + Mega Lopunny.

Dracovish is indeed going to be banned, but it looks like from OU and not natdex. This is surprising, because I thought Dracovish to be OK in OU but insane in natdex. Its effect on teambuilding is no better visible than here, where you see Slowbro and Toxapex, AKA the "fat resists" on a team, in lieu of a single Water Absorb Pokemon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-31-2020, 03:18 AM   #5117
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

You face these sometimes. They suck.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-06-2020, 12:07 AM   #5118
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yay, beat a stall team. That always feels good.

Yet, at the same time, I was accused of using stall...

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-06-2020, 04:24 AM   #5119
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

You are running two pokemon with Toxic, THE epitome of stally moves. As much as they're technically not correct about your midrange setup being dedicated to the idea of simply outlasting the enemy, I can hardly blame them for coming to that conclusion.

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:48 AM   #5120
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Actually, I have three mons with Toxic.

For the second time while awake, I have to wonder if people don't know how to battle Aegislash.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-07-2020, 11:57 PM   #5121
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Okay, I basically stalled this player. That Gardevoir interaction had me realize that Soundproof isn't that great against what Kommo-o would like to check afterall.

I've found that Bulletproof, Soundproof, and Overcoat are all niche abilities. Bulletproof is rarely useful seeing as Dragapult and Gengar have alternate moves they can use to hit at least neutrally, while Soundproof's chance at surprise is hurt by Trace. Overcoat is basically only good at swallowing Sleep Powder and Spore, and against Breloom Bulletproof is more useful.

I'm still unsure about Defog on Lando. Only one Pokemon on my team is weak to rocks: Gyarados. I'm not sure I'd use Stealth Rock in its place, though. Really I'd like to fit defog on something like...Dracovish.

Taunt, Defog, and Dracovish's coverage moves are the most niche of what I run. Gyarados and Aegislash have the most utility as I'm almost always using all eight moves.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-19-2020, 05:51 PM   #5122
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

It ain’t over til it’s over

Oh my gosh this was wild, def lucky plays from both sides but in the end I will reign supreme 😤

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:53 PM   #5123
Zorchic
Rainbow Badge

Rising Voltage and Expanding Force are freaking powerful in Monotype. I played a friend a series of times, and their Electric-type team beat me every time, thanks to Rising Voltage and Electric Terrain. I managed to get in a few good hits with Expanding Force on Psychic Terrain, and almost all the uses of those moves were OHKOs.
Zorchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:41 PM   #5124
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I haven't seen either of those because the Tapus don't have them yet. In natdex I've seen several Urshifu and Grassy Glide Rillaboom, one Galarian Slowbro and no Zarude. I have used Zarude though.

Tried out Earthquake Gyarados, struggled with a team I should beat easily with Power Whip. It's just that Earthquake pairs better with Waterfall on this particular set: Waterfall + Thunder Wave for parahax, Earthquake for electrics and grounded steels.

I've really grown to like Mega Gyarados. The Dark typing isn't that good (I think Ground would be better) but it has uses, at the very least swapping Gyarados' resistances and immunities. It's a great lure for Prankster users like Sableye and Grimmsnarl, while baiting psychic-type attackers. The biggest change though is swapping a fighting resistance for a dark resistance, which is especially useful against Urshifu since all Urshifu players click Wicked Blow when staring down Gyarados.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-20-2020, 10:49 PM   #5125
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yeah EQ didn't last, I switched back to Power Whip. Breaking bulky waters is more important than hitting steels super effectively.

I almost paid the price here. My Gyarados is very bulky because I did the cals and it needs to be at +2 to be able to break Tapu Fini and a lot of other bulky attackers. Mega Metagross does 54% with Thunder Punch, so I would have been in a bit of a bind without the lucky flinch.

I did make a mistake and not start boosting in front of the Excadrill. I was afraid that the LO Dragapult would have Draco Meteor and I wouldn't be able to hurt it with Kommo-o. Ghostium Z Dragapult, a set I was one of the first to use in natdex, is also my team's biggest weakness. Hence why I had Gyarados prioritize paralyzing the Dragapult rather than attack.

EDIT: Here's a battle using a team I would "think" counters my own. Basically all the annoying things that usually mess me up.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 06-20-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON