UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #6376
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Ohhh, I need to get on that myself. I can add it to my collection of completed VNs alongside planetarian and Saya no Uta.

Speaking of Saya, I was just thinking that it would make a really awesome horror movie, with the bad ending of course for maximum horror! Animated would be ideal but live action might be okay too. Some of the content is SO objectionable though that it would need an NC-17 rating and it would have no chance of making any money.

Man, if I was rich, I'd fund all kinds of things without any intention of them making money just for the sake of creating art

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:39 AM   #6377
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Air
I've played through the first week. If you didn't like the anime because you thought it was boring, then this would be unbearable for you. In the entire week Yukito went through, not much happened. It didn't bother me, because I know why they're having you spend all this time with Misuzu doing mundane things. Also I like the almost incoherent conversations with the characters. All the girls seem fucked in the head in some way, which makes them falling for a bum all the more believable! Also it seems this VN is like Clannad in how you're given tons of choices, and you have to make the right one every time, even vague ones that seemingly have nothing to do with anything might make or break you. Minagi's route seems the least interesting, so I'll do her route first.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:11 AM   #6378
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Air
I've played through the first week. If you didn't like the anime because you thought it was boring, then this would be unbearable for you. In the entire week Yukito went through, not much happened. It didn't bother me, because I know why they're having you spend all this time with Misuzu doing mundane things. Also I like the almost incoherent conversations with the characters. All the girls seem fucked in the head in some way, which makes them falling for a bum all the more believable! Also it seems this VN is like Clannad in how you're given tons of choices, and you have to make the right one every time, even vague ones that seemingly have nothing to do with anything might make or break you. Minagi's route seems the least interesting, so I'll do her route first.
I hope you enjoy the game, but man if you wouldn't have to pay me to play it at this point. Also, obligatory. Instrumental version because the lyrical version's gotta be saved for when you get there.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #6379
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

AH! That reminds me! I was also going to babble about this week's Monster Musume. It was your usual fun chapter, but one page stood out. This one kicked so much ass. So many death flags! The scene that song is from was referenced of course.

Listening to the music from the Air VN did bring back a good sense of nostalgia. I enjoyed the themes in the anime a long time ago I watched it, so it's nice to revisit them.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 05-16-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #6380
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

In really exciting news, Sailor Moon is going to be redubbed/subbed and have the entire 5 original seasons aired uncut, which also means that the stupid cousin thing isn't going to be a thing anymore. And a bonus for purists, dub names are no longer going to be used!
Old 05-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #6381
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
In really exciting news, Sailor Moon is going to be redubbed/subbed and have the entire 5 original seasons aired uncut, which also means that the stupid cousin thing isn't going to be a thing anymore. And a bonus for purists, dub names are no longer going to be used!
While this is pretty cool and normally I'd be very excited for it , I can't help but to feel that Viz is kinda being a dick stealing the manga-faithful remake's thunder. The remake will start airing in early July while Viz's project says "summer" and thus could start airing at the same time as the remake or quite possibly before it. I dunno. I'll reserve judgment on Viz's actions until we get to see both products. Regardless, I won't be watching the Viz re-dub weekly unless the 2014 remake is somehow a trainwreck. My plan is to watch the Viz re-dub for a couple of weeks just to see what it's like but to then table it in favor of the (hopefully superior) remake.

Last edited by Talon87; 05-16-2014 at 09:02 PM. Reason: corrected some instances of "remake" to say "re-dub" to avoid confusion
Old 05-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #6382
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
That re-dub isn't going to go over well, author approval or no.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #6383
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
That re-dub isn't going to go over well, author approval or no.
What makes you say that? The discussion thread attached to PikaGod's link seems to be filled with people who are very excited about this. Or at least the posts I skimmed on Page 01 were that way. If the atmosphere in the thread changed later on, I didn't see it as I didn't keep reading.

I think on the first page of that thread, I only saw one person saying, "Oh no! This is terrible! I liked the original voices/names!" Everyone else seemed to be thrilled that they'd get the chance to own it on DVD. I think many plan to watch it with Japanese audio regardless, so Viz's changes to the English script won't affect them anyway except maybe for subtitle concerns with the older DVDs (since English subtitles often match English dub tracks and thus the older DVD's subs would probably have all of the dub's changes to the script). And I believe I spotted a couple of people who were stoked to see which English-speaking voice actors would get to voice the characters.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:45 PM   #6384
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
What makes you say that? The discussion thread attached to PikaGod's link seems to be filled with people who are very excited about this. Or at least the posts I skimmed on Page 01 were that way. If the atmosphere in the thread changed later on, I didn't see it as I didn't keep reading.
I wouldn't take ANN's user-base as representative of anime fans as a whole: more and more DVD/Blu-Ray buyers now are very strongly anti-dub, and that movement is gaining more momentum as time goes on. This is because of the additional cost added to DVDs that include a dub, and the general distaste for any Burbank-centred voice-work, which I'm willing to bet is what VIZ Media is going to sift through for its staff.

There are casual fans, but Sailor Moon isn't being marketed toward casuals. It's aged as a magical girl show and the primary appeal will be those who saw it in the '90s, and for many I don't think they're going to be interested in something that isn't just like what they enjoyed as children. I've been observing a similar phenomenon with Power Rangers lately, as Saban recently (2010) retook the franchise from Disney and is trying to make the original formula for the show, rather than Disney's episodic adaption, work out. The end result has clashed with both fans of the '90s edition and newer generations in the aughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I think on the first page of that thread, I only saw one person saying, "Oh no! This is terrible! I liked the original voices/names!" Everyone else seemed to be thrilled that they'd get the chance to own it on DVD. I think many plan to watch it with Japanese audio regardless, so Viz's changes to the English script won't affect them anyway except maybe for subtitle concerns with the older DVDs (since English subtitles often match English dub tracks and thus the older DVD's subs would probably have all of the dub's changes to the script). And I believe I spotted a couple of people who were stoked to see which English-speaking voice actors would get to voice the characters.
We really should start a "voice actor/CV" thread because CV/VA worship is becoming a big thing now, definitely more noticeable than when I started getting into anime. Why I say this, many times now when I see English VA discussion regarding casting, it's more an issue of fans having a particularly favourite actor/actress getting cast over a say voice to role kind of process. It doesn't help that the VA pool is small now and there are high barriers to entry into the industry, unlike Japan, so there's plentiful work for the same actors (to the point that it degrades uniqueness of a lot of productions).

As much as I hate CR, I would rather CR have licensed this and just made it sub-only with free stream.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-16-2014, 11:45 PM   #6385
Talon87
時の彼方へ

As Kantai Collection came up in conversation on Skype, I'll leave these here more for my own future reference than anything else. But I'm leaving them here in public as opposed to isolated in a text file on my computer precisely so that people can comment on the list (or KanColle in general) if they like.

Most Popular KanColle Girls:
Kongou (not to be confused with Haruna)
Atago
Nagato
Musashi
Shimakaze
Tenryuu (often paired with Tatsuta)
Kaga

This list reflects only my personal impressions about who the most popular KanColles are. I've listed them in descending order from most to least common with one possible exception: Atago is probably more popular than Kongou at this point, but I still feel like Kongou is the poster child for Kantai Collection and thus deserves to be listed first.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #6386
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kana: Little Sister

Woah, what the heck am I doing playing this?! Well it's not much of a secret anymore, and I'm through the first route of it, so after waiting a long time to talk I'm finally singing.

Since this is an old but famous VN, and is 'well regarded' despite comparatively low production values versus today, I was interested in it as a case study for how Jinsei wa Hikikomogomo! should play out. For JwH, I'm 80% done with the world-building, needing to draw a map and flesh out the character routes/plot lines before I can actually start doing the manuscript. I felt like Kana would be a good "intro" work to see how to actually direct the scenes, like what to show and why.

On the story itself, it's definitely dated, since it's nearly 15 years old and doesn't have anything nearly as timeless as YU-NO did. One thing I like about the dated part is the characters are just barely characters, but not really 'real life' rotoscopes.

To describe this, I felt Katawa Shoujo was far too personal and logical. It's like the writers pretty much imagined themselves as Hisao, and how they'd act in his situation. A true 'character' has a bit of notional air that clues you in, even if no traits stand out starkly, that the person is special/unusual. If I were to rank this degree of realism on a spectrum, it would be:

Real Life - Character - Stereotype - Caricature

Kana feels like it has 'characters'. They act like normal people, but you don't feel like they're someone's personal experiences or fantasies transposed onto a person. I'd place Kana's degree right in between 'real life' and 'character' though, while say Rewrite was in between "character" and "stereotype". Most bad anime tend to be toward the far right.

Kana itself runs like a classic old VN with a lot of choice trees, but in the interest of time I'm not really feeling the desire to seek out all the endings, so I'll probably use a guide.

I will say that Kana hit me harder in some aspects than I expected. Spoiler, but Taka/Kana's young aunt gets transferred to Kana's hospital because she has terminal cancer, and dies, leaving her own children as orphans. My sister's best friend and our next door neighbour was almost in the same situation, and she died last Mother's Day from the cancer. Obviously, I never got to see her again, so seeing this scene was a biiit of shock therapy.

I'm almost done with the Yumi route, presumably. Five more to go.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #6387
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Pokemon XY 26
Episode 26 spoiler
Spoiler: show
Eeeeeeh, this was a really meh episode. The most entertaining thing about the episode was the background stuff Team Rocket pulled. Also that cute Fokko shot when Serena was cooking. Serena's big thing will be baking in competitions around the continent? That's umm....alot lamer than contests. Also, forced rival! Like, really freaking forced. Does everyone have to have a rival?! Watch Eureka get a rival in uhh....being a loli!

Air VN
I finished Minagi's route. It had some interesting bits, but overall, it was a very tough route to read. It dragged on for so much longer than it should have, especially since it was pretty repetitive. The noises Michiru made got on my nerves too. I get that's Key's thing early on, but it was excessive with Michiru. I'm glad to finally have it out of my way! ( end of Minagi's route spoilers)
The good ending/bad ending was interesting. The good ending was where Yukito and Minagi parted ways, while the bad one was where they H'ed and left town together, which was a nice change from the usual. Though it was also kind of unsatisfying like that.

Kano's route will be next!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #6388
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Whoops, forgot to post about Pokémon. Blame AK2!

Pokémon XY026:

Since I watched this last week this post'll be pretty darn concise. Enjoy it! :p

I liked Millefeuille / Milfy / whatever her name was.

The plot was predictable to anyone above the age of 10. That doesn't mean it was awful though.

Not a fan of Comic Relief Team Rocket. Oh look. Comic Relief Team Rocket.

Disappointed the episode didn't do as much to build Ash x Serena as the sneak peek had made it seem like it would. Pleased though that everything the sneak peek showed was real (i.e. wasn't PR shenanigans resulting from tricky editing) and that, as far as ShoPro is concerned, this episode really was one of the biggest ship-supporting episodes we've ever had for a girl shipped with Ash. Like, it is CANON that Serena likes Ash at this point. As though it weren't before, but now it is like incontrovertibly 100% canon. (All that's missing -- and, sadly, what will probably never be provided to us -- is solid proof of Ash liking her back. I mean, hell: we've yet to get even flimsy proof that he likes her back romantically yet. Oh well.)

I would describe the episode as a "good Johto filler," not to be confused with a good filler in general. If my use of the term "Johto filler" here is meant to denote the worst fillers Pokémon has to offer, then this episode was one of the best bad fillers we've had, i.e. "a good Johto filler." It wasn't great, no, but I didn't think it was awful either.

Would like to see Millefeuille / Milfy again.

If I remember anything more I'll say later. If you've got questions, feel free to ask.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #6389
Adamant
Pokemon Trainer

For the record, it's "Millefeui" (ミルフィ) - Millefeuille (ミルフィーユ) with the last syllable chopped off.

I actually really liked the episode, but not that many else seemed to think it was all that good, so it seems it was just my adoration of the Serena/Satoshi pairing clouding my vision
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #6390
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not watching any series that Underwater is subbing this season, I hadn't checked in on their weblog in a long while. Just did it on a whim right now though and I saw this note attached to the latest episode of Black Bullet. Kaisa, I figured you would appreciate this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz
I had so high hopes for this series, but it just gets worse and worse with every new episode.

Okay, I lied about the high hopes part, but the latter is unfortunately true. This show would be much better off with a heavy focus on Rentarou's Bizarre Loli Harem instead.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #6391
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

A bit late, but oh well. Black Bullet is what you would get if you take every action movie cliche and mashed it together in an anime. We have "YOU WERE HOSPITALIZED BECAUSE OF ME!" drama, we have "Go give 'em the good fight!" exchanges multiple times every episode, and the "action" is just nonsense. I probably laugh at this show more than I do any other show this season. It's just so fucking cheesy.

EDIT:

Pokemon XY 27
This was a nice episode. The fact that the old man did nothing to help his Flabebe, and just left it to some kids he didn't even know was pretty silly, but when don't things like this happen?! Also I started laughing when people just started piling on obstacles in finding Flabebe's flower. "You can't buy them in stores." "Growing season is over for the flowers." "Flowers grow in the mouths of violent dragons!" The episode seemed to mostly be about heartwarming moments with Eureka. The scene at the end where Eureka had to say goodbye to Flabebe was a nice scene. It almost got me! The art was a step up too. We had a bunch of nice expressions and close-up shots from Eureka. Also Citron's damn expression when the old man hugged her! The episode would have been better without Team Rocket, but I'm sure we can say that about most episodes.

Next week's episode looks like it'll be exciting.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 05-22-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #6392
Char
Banned

Watched ep 20 of Nisekoi, was quite a good season ending episode.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #6393
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Whoa, they don't make twenty-episode series much anymore. O_o Nisekoi was seriously only 20 episodes? It wrapped up mid-season? Strange. I wonder what will air in its timeslot in June. Maybe baseball. (Maybe that's why Nisekoi got the twenty-episode treatment. ^_^; )
Old 05-26-2014, 02:19 AM   #6394
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

A couple days ago the worst LN ever written and published was brought to the attention of smartarse readers. Our jaws hung agape in fascination at how something so repulsive and insultingly amateurish could challenge Sword Art Online as the most obnoxiously popular self-insert power trip soon to go anime. In fact, you could probably say it's the product of a third trimester abortion resulting from a rape between Sword Art Online and Mahouka, although which title assaulted the other I leave up to your imaginations.

Now, to demystify this creature. The title is Kenshin no Keishousha. The human race has been enslaved by "Swordians", aliens from another dimension who defeated the humans 70 years ago during World War III. Human navies, armies, air power, firearms and nuclear armaments were no match to their unparalleled close-quarters combat and something called the "mystic arts". However, after conquering the human race, the Swordians decided to settle on Earth and have established their headquarters as an academy in Japan, a school dedicated to training the strongest of Swordians. The "mystic arts" primarily responsible for humanity's subjugation stopped working once the portals to the home dimension of the Swordians closed.

The Swordians display open discrimination against humans, treating them as cattle. You might find this odd since they look exactly like ordinary humans, the only distinguishing feature is their superhuman swordsmanship. Women are genetically the more powerful sex in Swordian society and they seek to mate with a male who displays swordsmanship superior to them. They also rule the society in every leadership role imaginable.

The main character is an ordinary human attending the super elite Swordian academy, which is as you might expect dominated by women. He's joined by his Swordian childhood friend and a mysterious "cool" girl Swordian, along with all the rest of his class who are obsessed with him and his incredible swordsmanship, since he was taught by the greatest human swordsman of all time. The guy is disinterested in the female affection and wants to live a care-free life, but a dark conspiracy behind the scenes of the school threatens his ideal. It's up to the main guy and his horde of female admirers to bring justice back to society.

There's even a manga adaption (although the LN is the primary source). I can't wait until SHAFT gets its neck-breaking hands on this! I hope they choke a sword!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #6395
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm more annoyed by some of the universe's properties than by the gratuitous opportunity for male readers to self-insert. Like ...
  • the fact that the aliens like Earth better than home
  • the fact that they establish their capital in Glorious Nippon of all places
  • the fact that Glorious Nippon's samurai history is likely the justification for why the world's best swordsmen would come from and/or seek education in Japan ... even though plenty of other nations have a rich history of swordsmanship
  • the fact that Swordians are such an advanced race yet look just like humans
  • the fact that the Swordians would even want to equip their conquered subjects with the skills necessary to fight back
I'll be honest: had the protagonist been female, I would've actually had hopes for the series.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #6396
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pokémon XY027: Could've sworn I'd posted about this episode already. Whoops.

XY027 is an episode clearly written for the wee ones in the audience. However, it's a great example of children's entertainment written in a way that not only doesn't insult younger audiences' intelligence but which offers entertainment for the parents and other adults in the audience as well. If asked, "Was XY027 a filler?" the answer would be, "Yes." If asked, "But was it any good?" the answer would still be "Yes."

I don't know what's gotten into the writers lately but I am loving these occasional serious and tragic backstories we're getting. The Espurr episode remains untouched in my book, but the Flabébé episode wasn't half bad either. While the writers end up predictably copping out in a huge way, it was still an emotional gut punch when they had heavily established for five minutes straight that a Flabébé picks a flower soon after birth and bonds with it for life -- no other flower can replace it -- only to then show Grey's wife's Flabébé's flower getting destroyed by traffic. Even though I knew, frontal cortex-wise, that there was no way the writers were going to have Flabébé be a dead Pokémon walking, there was still this brief moment of immense horror, sorrow, and surprise where I believed, even if only for one second, "Oh my God: I just witnessed them condemn a Pokémon to death."

Were Pokémon a show written for adults and not kids, I'd be more disappointed in the writers for not having the guts to explore such a storyline. But seeing as this is Pokémon after all , I understand and can easily accept why they had to cop out and have Flabébé find a suitable replacement flower before it was too late.

The episode had a lot of elements which were clearly meant to be absorbed by the target audience of children ages 4 to 10. Portions of the episode explored the classic young children's literature concept of how while there are many things in life that little / young people cannot do that big / adult people can there are other things in life which only little / young people can manage. Eureka's climbing up the mountainface was a modest spin on this message: even though the other three children could have climbed the miniature mountain, the only way for Flabébé to get up there was for Eureka to climb it. I think that little children are often frustrated by their inability to help their parents out. Good-hearted children are by their nature compassionate and want to help; it can be frustrating to be constantly told that you can't help because you're too weak, uneducated, short, inexperienced, etc. This episode gives Eureka the opportunity to say "I can help too! I'm not dead weight! " and allows the children at home to vicariously experience this triumph for themselves through her.

The biggest focus of the episode by far though was on teaching children how to handle situations where they want someone else's property. Eureka finds Flabébé and wants to keep her. Then she finds out Flabébé already has an owner; and while she realizes she must give Flabébé back, that doesn't change the fact that she still desires to keep Flabébé for herself. Eureka bonds with Flabébé, this could easily be the beginning of a beautiful long-running friendship ... and then she meets Gray's wife in the hospital. And again, even though it kills her to say good-bye, she returns Flabébé to her rightful owner. She finds solace in the fact that she knows she's done the right thing but it doesn't stop her from tearing up, from wishing that she could have kept Flabébé for herself. Still: in the end, the message is quite clear. "You shouldn't take what's not rightfully yours. You shouldn't take other people's possessions. You may really want {X}, but keep in mind that {X}'s rightful owner probably wants it just as badly as you do if not much more. Try to place yourself in their shoes. How would you like it if somebody stole something of yours from you and tried to justify it by saying that they want it more badly than you do? You'd be pretty upset, right? So for that reason you should never take someone else's property, even if you believe you would make better use of it than they would." It's an important message to teach small children since small children are specifically the ones in our society who have to deal with this conflict; older children and adults have long since already learned the lesson while toddlers are still coddled and given practically everything in sight short of hazards to their health. It's when children first go to preschool or kindergarten and begin to mingle with other children their same age, children who bring cherished toys to daycare or to the playground, that they experience for the first time these feelings of envy. When I was about seven years old, I took my Game Boy to daycare once, put it in my cubby, and another boy at daycare stole it. Thankfully, his mother did the right thing in taking the Game Boy off of him, calling the daycare, and giving it back to them (who then gave it back to me). But still: I know from first-hand experience how important it is to teach young children this lesson that older members of society very much take for granted.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:42 AM   #6397
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Spirit Circle - 23/24

After months of waiting, I have the privilege of washing my eyes with liquid gold. Man, this manga remains awesome. It's criminal Mizukami doesn't have any anime after his works yet. Dude!

Eien no Aselia

BBB criticized me for saying Aselia had early KEY designs.

Yeah, right.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #6398
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post

BBB criticized me for saying Aselia had early KEY designs.
When? I must be going senile, because I don't remember this. Actually I'm pretty sure I've always been knocking Aselia's art.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #6399
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't think it looks like Key's art. But I agree that, like Key's art, the faces are messed up.

Key's early art had this distinctive feature where, with respect to vertical placement, the eyes were positioned normally on the head but the nose and mouth were placed disproportionately high up; and where, with respect to horizontal placement, the eyes were spaced farther apart than average. Honestly, I don't think it's as bad in the source material as it is in the television adaptations. It's almost as though the television adaptations, in wanting to stay loyal to the character art, crossed a fine line and accidentally made a mockery of the art style instead. In fact, while searching for a good specimen of Toei's abysmal art to share, I found this helpful comparison of the three Kanon works:

Interestngly, the artwork gets "prettier" as we move forward in time but the eyes get progressively further and further spaced apart. While I would still say, if asked, that Kyoto Animation's Kanon 2006 is the most beautiful of the three Kanon projects, it seems to be the greatest offender for Rabbit Eyes Syndrome.

Aselia's artwork doesn't have the exact same problems. What is most bizarre about its artwork, judging from the sample you've provided, is 1) the enormous forehead region and 2) the alien eyes. While the eyes, nose, and mouth are once again almost on top of each other, this time their spacing is at least in normal proportion. That is to say, the two spaces between the eyes, nose, and mouth are proportional to the spaces we'd normally expect to find there in anime character designs. What is not normal is the magnitude of these spaces, the absolute values. They are, as with Key's designs, noticeably tiny. But unlike Key, which has most of the facial field filled with saucer plate eyes and has the nose and mouth closer to center, Aselia has all three (eyes, nose, and mouth) relegated to the bottom quarter of the facial region, the tops of the eyes bleeding into what would be the face's bottom third. You have an enoooooormous forehead region, even more enormous than is typical of anime character designs, and it is not only distracting all on its own but it is also responsible for the crunched spaces between the eyes, nose, and mouth. Key, by contrast, isn't hurting for space: they just like drawing the nose very close to the baseline of the eyes. But Aselia, for whatever reason, seems to only be allowing itself the bottom quadrant of the face within which to work, and from there is trying its best to draw everything in proportion.

Last edited by Talon87; 05-30-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #6400
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I was mostly focusing on the prominent chins, since that's what I associate the most with the KEY art and what's most often parodied...I never too notice of the eye placement, but now I can't unsee it in the 2006 edition. Absolute dread chilled my spine when I confirmed what Talon said about the eyes. just wow.

And I didn't even notice the gigantic forehead until you pointed it out. I'm quite shocked!

The art seems to fluctuate in Aselia, some pieces are well drawn, others are really amateurish. It's quite the dichotomy good and bad, like a much more extreme Little Busters.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime