UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 03-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #7801
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Started waching Violet Evergarden. It's okay.

Violet is a girl (she's literally 14) who survived as a soldier during the previous war and has to adjust to a world off the battlefield. Prior to the war she was an orphan who would eventually be kidnapped and given to her superior officer. He trained her and showed her love but she doesn't understand such emotions. She only knew how to act on orders.

After the war, she wanted to know what his final words of "I love you," means and takes up a job as an Auto Memory Doll. Essentially she types letters for another person, but they also try to capture the emotion and intent of the writer rather than just transcribing it. Since she lacked the ability to express her emotions, she uses her job to try and understand them.

There's a lot of sad people in a post war world.

I do like the name though. Violet in the language of flowers actually has multiple meanings. A white violet means innocent while a purple one means 'thoughts of love' which is fitting for the character as both apply to her. Of coarse this is Japan and they think about all the subtext names can imply so I shouldn't be surprised.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:59 PM   #7802
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Hey cool, I have long seen people talk about Violet Evergarden but I never looked into it. From the fervor of the discussions, I though it was some kind of edgy series.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:04 PM   #7803
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Violet Evergarden is kinda problematic for a lot of the reasons Loki listed - not least of which is the age difference bw the MC and her superior officer - but also apparently for a bunch of changes made to the TV version compared to the novels. I followed some comments from fans of the original source text, and according to them even the meaning behind Violet's name was stripped down. =/ Perhaps as a result of all these editorial decisions, the series itself felt like it didn't have a lot of substance unfortunately. (Though there was one ep I really enjoyed.)

It is a very pretty show though. Kyo-Ani really knocks it out of the park. Honestly it made me emotional/nostalgic for just how much I miss their older works such as Haruhi and Kanon (the ED is even sung by my girl Minori Chihara, although I prefer the OP which is quite beautiful, visually and aurally <3). Makes me wish even moreso for a Haruhi S3... Hey, a girl can dream. OTL

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 03-10-2019 at 11:12 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:21 AM   #7804
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Oh. It's a KyoAni show.

That explains the focus around it. :V
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #7805
Loki

Reading through some blogs, I don't think the novel's differences from the anime really impact my opinion of the show. It seems a bulk of the anime's beginning and end are original and much of the content is reordered around. The general consensus is that Violet is a very different character overall- in the novels she is stoic and professional while in the anime, she is growing emotionally.

I won't throw in any opinions on the differences since I never read the novels, but I did think the anime was fine. I do think there's pacing issues. Violet goes from failing her typing class, to just passing in a scene similar to "Bart Gets an F" from The Simpsons, to then writing love letters for a Princess. This was really jarring since she didn't have much emotional understanding which led to her failure, but was blunt and direct which lead to her passing. I don't think that works very well when writing love letters. Like why did you send your newest employee who has a history of fucking up love letters to handle an important diplomatic marriage?

I think the better episodes were episode 7 and 10. And I fully admit that episode 10 brought me to tears. I think this episode can be used to test if people have souls.

The finale was all original. I have mixed feelings about those episodes since the show completely changed into kind of a war drama now rather than being about Violet and her job. It did show her growth as a character- from a war tool to an independent person, but it felt pretty out of place.

This show is really bad at depicting Violet's age, especially through her height. When she's with the Major during the war, she looks 12. When she's with Hodgins in the present, she is supposedly around 14, but she looks like 17. And she only spent like 4 months in the hospital following the war so how did she get that much taller?

Also, I agree the love between the Major and Violet is awkward, but we don't really know the full context of his "I love you." Did he mean it in a romantic sense? Did he mean it as a parent to a child? It's not like he kissed her. So I'm personally going with a less romantic love and not some weird pedophilia.

Overall I think that if the episodes were reordered, the series would probably be better. Like if episode 6 and 7 preceded episode 5. I'm not to sure if I would move the other around. Maybe put episode 10 earlier also. Episode 8 and 9 kind of tie in with episodes 11+ better, but I think episode 10 gave a kind of nice break from the heavier stuff.

Explanation in spoilers:
Spoiler: show
So episode 5 being the Princess Love Letter stories was pretty jarring as I stated before. It's also why I think episode 6 would have been better prior to it. Having an emotionless typing robot girl handle love letters is awkward. But having a fast typing robot handle the transcription of ancient text makes perfect sense since she was renown for her typing speed in the post office and her classes. Episode 7 also fits a bit more prior to episode 5 because we see Violet has grown more. She also doesn't really have to throw in her own emotions into the writing task since she's transcribing his play for him. But we see her growth as she takes an interest in the guy's play and empathizes with the main heroine of his story, so we see she's learned to understand people. This makes sense to have this before she starts writing proxy love letters.

But then this is where I guess inconsistencies between the novel and the show come in. In the novel she starts as a famous typist which grabs the attention of the playwright and that's why he hires her. But then why wouldn't the Princess also want a famous person write her love letters?

These inconsistencies kind of messed with my viewing experience.

It's fine.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #7806
Loki

Kaguya-sama Love is War just ended. It was an overall enjoyable episode but it has one of those non-committal endings we get so often now due to the series being a manga adaption and the manga is still continuing, so we can't get a real ending. It would have been nice to have a conclusion because as great as the show was, I can't really imagine a 2nd season being the same thing over and over being anywhere as popular.

Overall very good. Comedy was strong. Romance was light. Animation was great.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:17 PM   #7807
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I wonder if Japan likes those dreaded open endings. Things didn't use to be like that - even open endings in the '90s were really not open, there either was a melancholic determinism or the conclusion was heavily hinted at.

I know we live in the "NTR" era but I still can't find the motivation to enjoy or get invested in a project where the author isn't committed to some kind of ending. That's a blueball, and there's no other way to spin it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #7808
Loki

I think it's likely an evolution of how the anime industry and the manga/light novel industry has built a kind of symbiosis.

In the 90s and early 2000s, anime series licensed the story from another source and then would be accurate until they caught up, then make up some weird ass ending after the fact.

Then the industry changed entirely. I want to say it started when Hellsing Ultimate happened. It was considerably more accurate to the source material and like opened people's eyes to how fantastic the original source material was compared to the lackluster anime it had.

This then lead us to Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and that was praised for it's accuracy to it's source material and despite how good original FMA was perceived at it's conclusions, almost everyone enjoyed FMAB much more. FMA's ending had weird plot holes, strange inconsistencies, a villain out of left field. While it wasn't horribly done, it still had issues. It was clear the anime writers were never going to be as dedicated to the source material as the original author.

I think this then lead more manga/ln authors to want more accuracy and probably more creative control. And being so strict kind of forces them to not end the story at the end of the anime series because the source still has more stories to come. This leaves us with so many open ended conclusions simply because they can't actually end it.

A classic example I bring up is Chrno Crusade. I've stated my love for the manga series multiple times, but I've almost met universal difficulty of getting people who watched the anime and it's horrible ending to even try the manga because the anime left such a sour taste in their mouth. The property became tainted by the muck that was the anime's conclusion and no amount of explaining from me could clear it out.

So that's why I think anime series now won't take the dive to make their own endings. It's bad for business. Anime is now kind of advertising for the source material, even if it leaves the anime itself a bit lackluster on it's own.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:03 PM   #7809
Loki

The new One Punch Man is pretty hideous compared to the first season.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:16 AM   #7810
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't even know what anime is airing right now. All I'm following are Jojo and Sumo. There's been a relative bereft of any notable shows that aren't isekai light novel adaptations, manga adaptations, or w/e.

Where's the next Boku dake ga Inai Machi?!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #7811
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Where's the next Boku dake ga Inai Machi?!
I honestly think we missed out last season with The Promised Neverland. (The OP's even got a butterfly!) It seemed pretty popular along with Kaguya-sama, but when I looked into the premise it did sound really intense and intriguing as opposed to the latter. I debated checking it out but thought it might be too depressing - although I likely would've jumped in if others I knew were watching, as it's always fun to discuss horror/thriller mysteries with more people weekly as they're airing. Ah well, too late now...(?)

As for this season, I'm watching the Fruits Basket reboot obviously, and am enjoying revisiting/rediscovering the story in animated form (as I never saw past the first ep of the original but read the manga, although I forget a lot of it by now). <3 Since MCA I haven't had a series adapted from something I know - but I also don't know exactly what's going to happen - so I'm excited to discuss with others who are also in the "dark", so to speak. ;O ...Not so much when it comes to shipping, although I'm surprised by the animé staff so strongly hinting at Yuki x Tohru this early. o.O; I'm just here for the "found family" trope. \o/ (It's actually occurred to me as of ep02 that Furuba is a lot like a reverse Natsume Yuujinchou - rather than a weird kid wanting to be accepted by his adoptive family, it's about a weird family wanting to accepted by their normal "adoptee". ;()

I also decided to pick up Carole & Tuesday after seeing some buzz about it on tumblr, and researching into it I found it's by the same director as Cowboy Bebop, apparently set in the same universe(?) The premise is simply about two girls who want to make music in a world where music is now mainly produced by machines, which is very cute and slice-of-lifey and not at all what you'd expect from a "Cowboy Bebop sequel". XP The SPACE setting is actually really cool to see with this kind of story though, given all the future technology and commentary on the modern rise of its usage in the music industry (even though it almost feels like a semi-personal attack as someone who's now also a fan of Vocaloid lol). It feels a lot like a "futuristic Full Moon wo Sagashite" (which incidentally I just rewatched recently) with lesbians, which I am totally down for. (Actually the real reason that convinced me to give it a go is bc the PV reminded me of this music video, which itself has a lot of personal meaning to me.) It's been a long time since I tuned into a new purely "music-oriented" show (there's a bunch I wanted to but again feel I like I missed the boat on, such as "Kids on the Slope"), so I'm curious to see where this one goes, especially if it's got a nice soundtrack to boot. ^^ (The OP is already a bop, mm~)

On another note, I finished watching Ace Attorney S2 and the Layton Mystery Journey animé. Say what you will, but I had a good time with both (and even cried at the penultimate ep of Layton ;; ). I want sequels, damnit!

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 04-24-2019 at 09:54 AM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #7812
Loki

Last season had Dororo and Mob Psycho S2, both of which I started but didn't finish. Not because they're bad, but I wasn't always in the mood. I also downloaded Promised Neverland, but never started. Similar situation. I had a pretty shitty winter so if an anime wasn't making me laugh a lot, I kind of stopped. I'll probably watch these eventually.

I started Domestic Girlfriend, but the drama was way too soap opera-y. And dumb. And weird. So I dropped it at episode 3. It super feels like Days of Our Lives type wonky drama romance nonsense.

I did rewatch shows for nostalgia, mostly Occult Academy, Mai Otome, and Fullmetal Alchemist and Brotherhood. Fun stuff. Mai Otome was kind of jarring thanks to the weird pre-HD television and encoding going into full HD in it's OVAs. Like, "Wow, I used to think this shit looked good." kind of stuff.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:32 AM   #7813
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I guess I'm in a bit of a crisis mode since there hasn't been any new shows since October that I've been willing to watch. Oh, I still have Golden Kamuy but beyond that it's either nostalgia picks or Jojo/SM which are ending this Fall. Which is going to be undoubtedly miserable as nothing good has come into play to replace them.

I find it ironic, and dour, that this is perhaps the most blogged/talked about anime season with some of the scantest involving content. I'm so desperate I even jumped on the Game of Thrones bandwagon because there's nothing to watch until the weekend.

Is this end-times? The last two times anime was this bad (2011-ish, 2016-ish), I went to visual novels and light novels, but those venues have collapsed. Shounen manga has been at its weakest since the late '90s. Maybe others don't see it like I do, but from what I remember this is pretty apocalyptic.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #7814
Loki

Yeah, this season is fairly weak. I don't think it's apocalyptic, there's always good/bad seasons. It's usually winter, but it looks like this year it's spring.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #7815
Loki

Netflix's new Evangelion apparently is getting a ton of flak for their new release.

The dialogue was changed to subdue the Shinji x Kaworu gayness, took away an F-bomb in End of Eva, the ED "Fly Me to the Moon" and it's variants were all removed due to licensing, subtitles were changed, and the new voices feel like imitations of the original.

What a weird set of changes. I guess Funimation was right that Netflix just wanted it on their platform and didn't care much about the property itself. The original VAs petitioned to get hired to redub the series and Netflix ignored it. Changing the dialogue is extremely strange since Anno apparently approved the original translations by ADV to make it as accurate as possible to his intent. Taking away the gayness now in 2019 is also kind of... backwards? 1996 was more progressive about the words love between two males compared to now? What's going on? Losing the ED is weird. I'm guessing that Frank Sinatra's estate has made it more difficult.

Ultimately a lot of people have criticized it as feeling like a cheap knock-off of the original. Kind of a sad attempt by Netflix since this could have been huge for them. Now it's more of a demerit to their anime division.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #7816
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Licensing music is weird and I don't fully understand it. For example, it's apparently hard/expensive from The Pokemon Company International to license music from The Pokemon Company, which is why the Pokemon anime's music still gets replaced in a way that 4Kids never did. The only exception were a few times music from the movies were used and that movie was already licensed in fully.

Similarly, in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, western music is used for the ED's, which is easy since Warner is producing the anime and has access to its own music library. But apparently the license holders have turned down permission to use when they learned what it was going to be used for.

As for Netflix's changes, could you tell me more about what "new" Evangelion was supposed to be? Is this a redub of the original or?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-24-2019, 07:50 AM   #7817
Loki

Yes.

ADV and Gainax had a falling out many years ago and lost the license to NGE. This left NGE in limbo as western audiences no longer had access to it, especially on any streaming platforms. Last November, Netflix announced they licensed it for streaming release, but then it became known they could not get access to ADV's old dub and thus had to redub. Their original main character of VAs petitioned to be put on the project, but after a little while dropped it and wished the new dub the best of luck.

Then NGE was released a few days ago on Netflix and everyone kind of hates it.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #7818
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

OK, so here's what I could dig up.

You need explicit permission for streaming rights of any copyrighted material, unlike say DVDs, Blu-Ray or other digital distribution. That means Netflix needs three agreements for streaming the old dub:

-streaming agreement with Gainax
-streaming agreement with Universal Music Group, who owns the copyright on "Fly me to the Moon"
-streaming agreement with AEsir Holdings, who currently owns the rights of the original ADV dub

I would surmise that, while more work, a redub was cheaper than negotiating streaming rights with two more entities. I would chalk up the reduced Shinji/Kaoru love to a more robotic translation, and not something intentional.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-26-2019, 12:53 AM   #7819
Loki

Watched a few episodes. The dub is awful. It's not even an issue of the voices being different, rather many of the voices sound so unenthusiastic, everyone sounds monotone and boring. Even when they do shout, it still sounds oddly flat. It's hard to really explain, but there's a severe lack of intensity in this dub. Like, it's made Rei even more boring by having everyone else around her also be boring.

Also a lot of weird translation changes. They refer to Rei/Shinji/Asuka as the First/Second/Third Children. Not Child. They always use the plural pronoun. Another weird thing is that apparently no one knows how to pronounce NERV. Originally it was pronounced like 'nerve,' but now seems to switch between nerve and 'nayrve,' which is really strange.

It was stated by the person who rewrote the script to leave the queer relationship between Shinji and Kaworu to be 'more open to interpretation.' The original was very much gay and I don't think there was a translation issue that made it more gay. It was very heavily implied that Shinji was confused about his feelings because he never had anyone state love for him, much less a guy. It doesn't work when someone just says they 'like you' as a friend since Shinji already had friends at this point. Shinji never felt love, which was why the scene was so important to his character. Changing it to be vague makes it feel like they're afraid to make it gay, which is also strange since it's not 2019 as compared to 1996.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:24 AM   #7820
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The weird part is that perception is how I felt of the original dub. I watched Eva's dub after Fullmetal Alchemist and it sounded really amateurish.

But in retrospect, it's not that bad a job. It had a recipe for disaster where the anime fans-turned-entrepreneurs did the dub work. On face value that seems as ego-driven as Jeff Bezos voicing Tarzan in an Amazon Prime remake of the original, just because he secured the rights. ADV didn't do that bad a job, and the dub is pretty memorable.

I take back what I said about the homolust. That does sound to be a much more by-the-numbers translation. Not necessarily a good thing.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-08-2019, 06:42 AM   #7821
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Rando stuff I downloaded to test my internet connection.

Kenja no Mago 12 - generic issekai trash
Kimetsu no Yaiba 12 - is this where Narancia ended up after Golden Wind? This is really good. Like modern-day Inu-Yasha.
Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san 12 - cute healing anime but stupid food scenes ruined it
Tate no Yuusha no Narigari 25 - why's this crud here?
Gintama - funny! why's this crack here?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #7822
Loki

New anime season. Only got DanMachi S2. Anyone got any good suggestions?
Old 07-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #7823
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Vinland Saga is the biggest name this season, and really the biggest name all year.

There's also the firefighter anime which I'm 101% sure kaisa is watching, but only 48% sure for LBC.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #7824
Connor
Flashbacker

Fire Force is god damn brilliant. I'm up to date with the manga so I know what's coming, but I can't recommend it enough.

Kimetsu no Yaiba is also absolutely worth the recommendation. ufotable are doing it, and they just get action like no others.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #7825
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
Fire Force is god damn brilliant. I'm up to date with the manga so I know what's coming, but I can't recommend it enough.
So this is a firefighter anime. But I didn't recognize the title. I looked it up, and sure enough, it is a firefighter anime that was released this past summer.

However, it's not the one I was talking about. In a stunning development, it turns out a second firefighter anime is airing now, called

*deep breath*

Yubisaki kara no Honki no Netsujou: Osananajimi wa Shouboshi

It looks like this:

Said firefighters get hot and sweaty in burning buildings, leading them to strip on the spot, the sweat glistening off their bodies like light on morning dew.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime