UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 07-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #26
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Sounds like Indiana needs to keep up with the rest of the world.

=p
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #27
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Sounds like Indiana needs to keep up with the rest of the world.

=p
Are you telling me that you can remember small private businesses burning their own CDs in 1992 New York?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #28
Adamant
Pokemon Trainer

Remember Crystal Seminar is supposed to be a really expensive and prestigious school, though. Even the fact that they use computers for teaching (with every student having their own computer during class) is played up as a rather big deal... it just doesn't really come across as such in Crystal because it's not some almost-futuristic concept to modern viewers any more.

Back when Takeuchi originally wrote this, though? A prep school where all the students use computers at once for all classes was pretty crazy, and the school having their own specially pressed discs with unique study programs you couldn't get elsewhere even more so. It all makes it clear that this isn't some ordinary school, it's the kind of super expensive place utilizing the absolute latest in technology and playing that fact up. The school really loses this air of exclusivity in Crystal.

(I believe we got a CD-ROM drive on our home computer in 1994 though. Seems you guys were a bit behind)
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #29
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Nice that this threads got revived! I've been enjoying this new series! But I'll never get the voice actor craze >.>
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:14 AM   #30
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
BORKED

So someone swapped in the Attack on Titan theme on the opening for Sailor Moon Crystal and this was the result. They sync up perfectly. I kid you not. The fact that these two anime can swap themes and still have reasonable sync makes me happy.

Here, the AoT opening with the Sailor Moon Crystal theme. Another perfect sync. <3

I have no idea what's funnier: AoT with the cute Sailor Moon Crystal theme, or Sailor Moon Crystal with the badass AoT theme.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:07 PM   #31
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Bit of a cross-post but some early designs for Neptune, Saturn and Pluto have come out. And, relevant to my interests in the "seifuku" topic they have some different designs and accessories!

Please rate them. What looks most attractive, or cutest to you?

http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1745924
http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1745922
http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1745919
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I think you mean Uranus, not Saturn.

Uniforms: They're all identical but for differences in color. -.-

Overall: I think Pluto is the most attractive of the three choices. Then it's a toss-up between Uranus and Neptune. Not really a fan of either, for different reasons.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #33
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 03:

Spoiler: show
The best Sailor Scout arrives.

Sailor Mars was my favorite character back when I watched the live-action adaptation in college. I was curious to see how that would hold up now that the character was divorced from the attractive Kitagawa Keiko and any possible changes the live-action series made to the story. Suffice to say, nothing has changed for me: Rei is still beautiful in all respects. The shrine maiden angle ... the exorcism sub-angle ... the fire angle ... the mysterious beauty angle ... the tragic heroine angle ... Rei has got so much going for her that makes her a character viewers want to learn more about and have on camera as much as possible.

I don't recall crows in the live-action version. Phobos and Deimos, huh? Cute.

Sailor Moon, being quite the pop culture sensation it was at the time, left its impact on Japan in a lot of ways. I'm not sure how much of it was Sailor Moon, but I recall hearing someone say once that the romanticization of the Shinto shrine maiden, the miko, in the anime and manga of the 1990s and 2000s traces its roots back to Hino Rei. In real life, miko aren't nearly as adorable or badass as they are in most anime. But the mikos of anime seem to fit the Hino Rei model pretty well, sometimes to a tee. Wikipedia suggests that there may have been earlier pop culture influences in the 20th century (e.g. 1985's Teito Monogatari) that popularized miko.

The part where Rei senses something otherworldly was entertaining.

So we finally get to see Tuxedo Mask in civilian (i.e. non-tuxedo ) clothes. Astute first-time viewers may pick up on an interesting clue in this scene.

The part where the neighborhood housewives badger Rei and some even accuse her of being the one behind the disappearances ... and then, after Usagi shames the housewives into retreat, Rei explains to Usagi how she's always had to suffer like this thanks to her supernatural powers ... it was a good scene. It reminds viewers that even if the other Sailor Scouts didn't possess magical gifts before meeting Luna, Rei did -- and in her case, the powers were as much a curse as a blessing.

Rei definitely had the best transformation scene of the three we've seen so far.

Jadeite continues to try to defeat the Sailor Scouts, to no avail. I did think it was interesting though how he tricked Rei, showing her an image in her flames of himself kidnapping Usagi only for that to be a decoy which allowed him to kidnap her, Rei, and use her as bait to lure Usagi and the others to him.

Queen Beryl shows up a bit more prominently this week. Pointy ears, talon-like fingernails, the whole shebang.

We also get to meet two of the three remaining generals. Nephrite and Zoisite debut this week, leaving only one general as yet unrevealed. I'll say this: the three revealed generals are all a hell of a lot more attractive than they were in the live-action series. ^^;

I'd forgotten that Episode 04's subject material happened this early. Maybe it didn't in the live-action series? Regardless, it promises to be an entertaining episode.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:27 AM   #34
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

As someone who watched the original series and couldn't finish the live-action one (THAT STUFFED TOY LUNA WAS JUST WRONG TO ME!), I have a question about Tuxedo Mask (episode 3).

As I recall, Mamoru was a college student in the original anime. HE ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT STRIKE ME AS A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT, OR A SOPHOMORE IN HIGH SCHOOL FOR THAT MATTER! Is this from the original manga? ...aside from that, glad to see him out of that tuxedo-thing for once, in civilian situations I mean!
Old 08-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #35
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post

Episode 03:

The best Sailor Scout arrives.

Sailor Mars was my favorite character back when I watched the live-action adaptation in college. I was curious to see how that would hold up now that the character was divorced from the attractive Kitagawa Keiko and any possible changes the live-action series made to the story. Suffice to say, nothing has changed for me: Rei is still beautiful in all respects. The shrine maiden angle ... the exorcism sub-angle ... the fire angle ... the mysterious beauty angle ... the tragic heroine angle ... Rei has got so much going for her that makes her a character viewers want to learn more about and have on camera as much as possible.

I don't recall crows in the live-action version. Phobos and Deimos, huh? Cute.

Sailor Moon, being quite the pop culture sensation it was at the time, left its impact on Japan in a lot of ways. I'm not sure how much of it was Sailor Moon, but I recall hearing someone say once that the romanticization of the Shinto shrine maiden, the miko, in the anime and manga of the 1990s and 2000s traces its roots back to Hino Rei. In real life, miko aren't nearly as adorable or badass as they are in most anime. But the mikos of anime seem to fit the Hino Rei model pretty well, sometimes to a tee. Wikipedia suggests that there may have been earlier pop culture influences in the 20th century (e.g. 1985's Teito Monogatari) that popularized miko.

The part where Rei senses something otherworldly was entertaining.

So we finally get to see Tuxedo Mask in civilian (i.e. non-tuxedo ) clothes. Astute first-time viewers may pick up on an interesting clue in this scene.

The part where the neighborhood housewives badger Rei and some even accuse her of being the one behind the disappearances ... and then, after Usagi shames the housewives into retreat, Rei explains to Usagi how she's always had to suffer like this thanks to her supernatural powers ... it was a good scene. It reminds viewers that even if the other Sailor Scouts didn't possess magical gifts before meeting Luna, Rei did -- and in her case, the powers were as much a curse as a blessing.

Rei definitely had the best transformation scene of the three we've seen so far.

Jadeite continues to try to defeat the Sailor Scouts, to no avail. I did think it was interesting though how he tricked Rei, showing her an image in her flames of himself kidnapping Usagi only for that to be a decoy which allowed him to kidnap her, Rei, and use her as bait to lure Usagi and the others to him.

Queen Beryl shows up a bit more prominently this week. Pointy ears, talon-like fingernails, the whole shebang.

We also get to meet two of the three remaining generals. Nephrite and Zoisite debut this week, leaving only one general as yet unrevealed. I'll say this: the three revealed generals are all a hell of a lot more attractive than they were in the live-action series. ^^;

I'd forgotten that Episode 04's subject material happened this early. Maybe it didn't in the live-action series? Regardless, it promises to be an entertaining episode.
Agreed heartily. I'm enjoying this reboot quite a lot, and screw gender paradigms: I can enjoy Sailor Moon as a cisgendered heterosexual male, and damn well have a good time with it too. Mars is always fun to watch.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #36
Adamant
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
As I recall, Mamoru was a college student in the original anime. HE ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT STRIKE ME AS A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT, OR A SOPHOMORE IN HIGH SCHOOL FOR THAT MATTER! Is this from the original manga?
Yep. Crystal sticks incredibly close to the manga, dialogue usually being word-for-word lifted from it.

Really didn't like their rewrite of the fight at the end, though. Here's how it originally went:

Ami attacks Jadeite with her Aqua Mist, but Jadeite takes control of the attack and freezes the mist, threatening to freeze the two to death. Usagi is close to giving up the battle, but Luna (who didn't go into the dimension with them, but is communicating with them via a computer) gives her a quick pep talk and gets her to use the tiara against Jadeite. Jadeite simply catches the tiara in mid-air and ridicules the pathetic attack, but Luna makes the tiara expand and lock his arms, canceling his freezing ability. Luna then gets Ami to throw Rei the pen Luna gave her before she followed Usagi into the other dimension. Rei gabs the pen, which makes her instantly transform, upon which she instinctively uses her exorcism powers to pretty much tear Jadeite's spirit apart.

The anime version really lacks the same sense of teamwork the manga had, and all the transformation sequence nonsense makes Rei's first transformation look a lot less sudden and noteworthy.

The anime keeps the bit about Rei wondering what just happened after Jadeite's death, but it so much less believable after we saw her pose and show off for like two minutes earlier.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #37
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Watched episode 4.

Episode 4 spoilers:
Eeeeeeh. I didn't much care for it. I didn't care for last week's episode either. Last week's episode was cross-eyed week! This week reminded me on how bad of a leader Usagi is. She's so freaking self-centered and useless, yet she's magically given everything. Also the whole thing with Mamoru was silly. He tries to save her when she falls down, he loses his grip because he can't support her weight, and she uses her powers to soften her landing, yet she was the one who saved him. Actually I wonder when Rei will start acting snippy with Usagi, or if she ever will. Rei seemed pretty soft on Usagi.

Next week is Jupiter week! I thought Minako was added before Jupiter, but oh well! I do look forward to Venus though. She's entertaining.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #38
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 04:

A friend of mine who is a huge Sailor Moon fan gave away in his excitement that Episode 04 contained a "huge deviation" from the original story. So I spent the entire time trying to find it, like a goddamn Where's Waldo. I couldn't help myself, but I'm frustrated that I did. It distracted from the episode and I think it diminished my enjoyment of it overall. Hopefully next time this happens he won't give away these kinds of details. (It would have been better had he just said what it was to begin with! At least then I would have only been spoiled on one thing instead of playing Where's Waldo the entire time!)

This episode had a lot of potential differences or actual differences from the story. My friend is anime-biased, so I'm not exactly sure how many of these differ from the manga and how many do not. But let's start off with one major difference that our manga reading friend Adamant has already given away:

The Four Generals: Well this was a surprise. Adamant had written in response to Episode 03 about how Jadeite dies at the end of his fight with the three Sailor Scouts. I hadn't taken the scene that way at all myself, but I guess it's the way it goes in the manga. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeell ... Episode 04 starts up, and look who we have here: a living Jadeite. But we don't just have Jadeite still being alive! We've also got Nephrite and Zoisite and Kunzite all showing up already! And I don't mean in front of audiences -- I mean in front of the Sailor Scouts! The four generals even give the girls their names. So yeah. This is the first in our list of changes or possible changes from the source material.

Usagi's New Tiara: Next up we have something else that I definitely didn't perceive from Episode 03's fight scene. The writers allege in Episode 04 that, in Episode 03, Usagi's tiara had been destroyed during the fight with Jadeite. So she can't finish her transformation. Except oh wait: now she has a new tiara that fires laser cannon blasts. O_o I thought this was mildly surprising. My '90s-anime-watching friend thought that this was VERY surprising. IIRC this was the big difference he was alluding to. I guess we'll see if any manga readers can confirm.

Usagi Tired Out: This was the other big difference from the '90s anime that I knew my friend would latch onto. How so? Because he'd been plugging the '90s version of the scene on his YouTube channel for weeks before I got to see Episode 04. In the 2014 version, when Tuxedo Mask finds Sailor Moon asleep on the balcony, it's implied that she's tuckered out from an exciting night. But in the '90s version, Usagi gets tipsy from imbibing too much wine at the ball. And Tuxedo mask leads her out of the ball to the veranda to get some fresh air. There, she passes out. And it's then that he decides to kiss her. So in the '90s version, it feels (more?) date rapey whereas in the 2014 version it does not (or at least it feels a lot less so? ^^; ).

Crossdressing Nephrite: This was one that I suspected but my friend says that it was this way in the original too. (I think he means the manga; iirc he did confirm it wasn't this way in the '90s anime.) So yeah. Nephrite, clearly a bishie, is apparently such a bishie that he can morph into a gorgeous woman with very little effort. ^^;

Okay, those four things round out the list of changes or possible changes from the source material. Other than that, a few more things to note ...

Usagi's Dad: lol + ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ^^;; @ his comment at the ball after he catches a glimpse of his own daughter and, not realizing it's her, first remarks on their visual similarity and then comments that he sure does hope Usagi grows up to be as beautiful as her some day. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... ^^;; Moving right along!

Rei: Still my favorite, but she didn't get too much screen time this week. One thing which happened though and surprised me was the implied yuri scene on the bus with Ami. O_o Where, iirc, Rei touches Ami's hands and then blushes intensely and Ami's like "What's wrong? " and Rei's like "N-n-nothing! " I sure don't remember that in the live-action Sailor Moon, that's for sure.

Makoto: The sneak peek for Episode 05 suggests we'll be getting Sailor Jupiter next. To address bbb's post: at least in the live-action version, the order presented here is the same as it was there. It goes Usagi, Ami, Rei, Makoto, and finally Minako. I assume it's the same in all versions but who knows. I can only speak for my memories of the live-action version. Anyway, Makoto should be fun. Her voice is a heck of a lot more masculine than I expected it would be. At least it sounded that way in the brief line she had at the end of Episode 04. I'd like to hear more of it before casting judgment.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #39
Adamant
Pokemon Trainer

Comments in bold, spoilers for the manga version of the chapter.

Also, sorry about accidentally giving away that change... I seriously took the end of the fight as going like it did in the manga and was very surprised to see the deviation in episode 4.

Quote:

The Four Generals: But we don't just have Jadeite still being alive! We've also got Nephrite and Zoisite and Kunzite all showing up already! And I don't mean in front of audiences -- I mean in front of the Sailor Scouts! The four generals even give the girls their names. So yeah. This is the first in our list of changes or possible changes from the source material.

I would assume that's the major change he referred to, and I'm pretty interested in seeing where they're going with this. Nephrite is the only general to appear in this chapter, and Kunzite won't even be introduced until the end of chapter 5 (in a scene the anime skips). Also, in the manga, Nephrite vows to find the silver crystal so he can use it to revive his dead friend Jadite. This camaraderie between the generals doesn't really come across as well in Crystal.

Usagi's New Tiara: My '90s-anime-watching friend thought that this was VERY surprising. IIRC this was the big difference he was alluding to. I guess we'll see if any manga readers can confirm.

No, that entire scene is straight from the manga.

Usagi Tired Out: In the 2014 version, when Tuxedo Mask finds Sailor Moon asleep on the balcony, it's implied that she's tuckered out from an exciting night. But in the '90s version, Usagi gets tipsy from imbibing too much wine at the ball. And Tuxedo mask leads her out of the ball to the veranda to get some fresh air. There, she passes out. And it's then that he decides to kiss her.

Here it's the 90's anime version that's true to the manga, while Crystal rewrites it. I assume Toei is less accepting of underage drinking these days (Usagi DID think the punch was just fruit juice, though, it's not like she meant to drink alcohol)

Crossdressing Nephrite: This was one that I suspected but my friend says that it was this way in the original too. (I think he means the manga; iirc he did confirm it wasn't this way in the '90s anime.)

Yeah, it's in the manga, but not the 90's anime. It's not ACTUALLY Nephrite, though, it's his shadow double. Crystal does, for some reason, have him summon up a monster that possesses the princess, yet the princess still speaks with Nephrite's voice, and when Usagi kills the possessor, Nephrite still says it was just his shadow, not the real him... it's all very confusing and hard to follow. In the manga, it's fake-Nephrite himself that possesses the princess

Makoto: The sneak peek for Episode 05 suggests we'll be getting Sailor Jupiter next. To address bbb's post: at least in the live-action version, the order presented here is the same as it was there. It goes Usagi, Ami, Rei, Makoto, and finally Minako. I assume it's the same in all versions but who knows.

Yep, that's the order used everywhere.

Also, a couple quick notes on episode 5:

*Usagi FINALY sounds and acts like Usagi. Earlier episodes had a way-too-toned-down version of her that sounded much too old, but this episodes gave me the Usagi I know and love.
*The episode expands on the manga in a good way. Makoto's crush on Motoki was so underplayed in the manga it's easy to not even notice it's there until Mako talks about it at the end of the episode, but Crystal gives it proper attention, which does wonders for the flow of the episode. Also, the scene between Mako and Usagi at school adds a lot of dialogue that gives us much more information on Mako right away.
*WHY do they keep cutting so much dialogue relating to the mystery of Tuxedo Mask's motives and identity? That's one of the most important parts of this story arc, yet they keep cutting scenes where Luna etc brings it up
*Nephrite's shadow clone powers are ignored completely, and his shadow is turned into a summoned monster. I don't get it, that was his unique power, why ignore it like that?
*Nephrite doesn't die, but the monster sticks around so Mako has something to kill. The expanded dialogue between Nephire and Mako is pretty nice, though. He didn't really say much in the manga.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #40
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh wow, I thought I was just delinquent on my post for 06. But apparently I haven't even written about 05 yet. Whoops.

Episode 05:

This episode was fine. Since I'm four weeks late with my post, don't expect me to go into too many details right now. ^^;

One thing that I remember enough to comment on is the fact that Nephrite seemed to care more about Sailor Jupiter than any of the other Sailor Senshi. It's strange, in a good way. I don't remember the four generals pairing off with Sailor Scouts in the live-action series, but here we've had the first two generals, Jadeite and Nephrite, each pairing off with a specific girl, Rei and Makoto respectively.

I thought Makoto was fine in looks, voice, etc. Because of the surname, I keep wanting to associate her with wood. So I was surprised to find that her elemental affinity is electricity. It simply wasn't something I remembered as well as I did Rei's fire or Ami's water. Looking back over the screencaps for the episode, I'm reminded that Makoto did have some botanical elements to her powers too -- all of those rose petals following her transformation sequence, for example -- but the electricity seems to be "her fire," "her water" so to speak.

One last thing, a gem rediscovered while going back through the screencaps for this episode: the part where Luna wakes up only to discover that Tuxedo Mask snuck into Usagi's bedroom in the middle of the night and is now running off with her. AMBER ALERT! AMBER ALERT!

Episode 06:

I just watched this one yesterday, two weeks late. ^^; Sorry!

This was actually a pretty darn good episode for the series. It didn't exactly start off that way. I recall that in the opening minutes of the episode I thought to myself, "Man, Sailor Moon sure is a dated kids show. ^_^; It's okay. It may not be stellar, but it's still fun to watch it and discuss it with friends." But by the episode's end, while it didn't morph into Karei Naru Ichizoku by any means , it had considerably impressed me. Episode 06 sees us covering a lot of ground with both the overall plot as well as the individual characters caught up in it.

I'm not sure if the manga is the same way, but I was really surprised that Queen Beryl has already introduced herself personally to the Sailor Senshi. They still haven't even met Kunzite yet! And already they've met Queen Beryl! (Okay: technically they met Zoisite and Kunzite already in Episode 04. But you know what I mean. My point is that Kunzite hasn't been assigned Sailor-Senshi-defeating duty yet and already Queen Beryl has teleported to the surface and introduced herself to the Sailor Scouts.)

Speaking of Kunzite, we're on to Zoisite now, having retired Nephrite after only two episodes. Crazy. Just like Jadeite, Nephrite hasn't died or been sealed away or anything: he's still perfectly fine. But Zoisite steps up to the plate, requesting Queen Beryl let him handle the operation, and she's happy to oblige his request.

I also do not remember Usagi learning this early that Tuxedo Mask is in fact Chiba Mamoru. I mean, then again I have to admit that I don't remember it occurring late either. I'm just a little surprised, I guess, to see it already happening only six episodes in. Does she learn who he is this quickly in the manga? Does she learn his identity before even meeting Sailor Venus?

I've yet to watch Episode 07, so that post will be a little delayed still.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #41
Adamant
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Because of the surname, I keep wanting to associate her with wood. So I was surprised to find that her elemental affinity is electricity.
It's supposed to be wood. The Japanese planets (and weekdays) are named after and associated with the five Chinese elements - Fire (Mars), Water (Mercury), Earth (Saturn), Wood (Jupiter) and Metal (Venus). The Sailor Moon franchise just gives Jupiter an additional "element" in lightning, taken from Roman mythology.

And for episode 6, which I just watched two days ago... yeah, I'm behind too:
Dear god. I praised episode 5 for improving on the manga, but this episode just turns the original story into a mess.
Manga spoilers ahoy, because this is going to be complaints about it not following the perfectly fine story there:

First off, everything from the start and up to Zoicite going on TV is accurate to the manga, as is everything from the point where Usagi faints after exhausting her power to heal everyone. So yeah, the stuff about Usagi learning Tuxedo Mask's identity is manga accurate.

Beyond that, though:

In the manga, Usagi stays at home watching the TV show and gets mind controlled by it like everyone else. Luna ignores it, blowing it off as a scam since it's obvious there can't be a professor who has researched the silver crystal when no one on earth know what it is. She doesn't even suspect it's a Dark Kingdom plot until Zoicite starts absorbing energy, at which point Ami comes to tell her... because she's being affected by the energy absorption too. In the anime, the energy absorption doesn't happen until later, and all the girls just go unaffected by the initial spell even though it they're in the city and it's implied they watched the broadcast. Ugh.

So in the manga, Luna takes Ami to the secret base under the arcade and tries contacting the others, but Zoicite's radio waves blocks the transmission because plot convenience. Ami goes looking for the others on foot instead. It's sort of implied the arcade base is shielded against the absorption waves. Meanwhile, Usagi is trying to reach the others, but eventually succumbs to the absorption waves and collapses, when she's found by Mamoru, who wasn't affected by the waves due to being at the library at the time of the broadcast. In the anime, however...

She's with the group as they go to the arcade, but storms out after Luna suggests Tuxedo Mask might be behind this. Not only does this not make sense, since Usagi has previously agreed they don't know his motives and that he might be an enemy to their cause, but storming out in a fit like this and leaving the others to go fight evil monsters on their own is just painfully out of character for her. Hell, she even monologues about her not feeling like a strong leader later on. It's also terribly out of character for the other four to just let her go without stopping her. This entire scene is just so wrong.
Also, while Zoicite doesn't start the energy absorption until after Usagi leaves, in the anime she wasn't affected by the initial hypnosis and isn't even watching the broadcast at the time, so are we still supposed to assume she collapsed due to Zoicite absorbing her energy? She's not drawn with the orange aura the other people were. Also, if merely being outside while Zoicite pushes the button gets your energy drained, why wasn't Mamoru affected? The anime doesn't even show him at the library away from the TV broadcast in the first place, so we don't even get that confirmation he wasn't affected.

The entire battle wasn't in the manga; there, Zoicite just teleports away the instant the remaining Sailors arrive. There's no speech by Beryl or anything, Usagi doesn't show up, etc etc. Instead, she's just "revived" by Mamoru and uses her moon stick to heal everyone in the city who had their energy drained before collapsing again.

That entire plot-holey speech where she talks to Tuxedo Mask about being told to act like a leader and all that other stuff where she basically outright tells him she's Sailor Moon? Internal monologue in the manga (and takes place after she transforms, not before). All that nonsense about how she can't transform in front of Tuxedo Mask or he'll learn her identity (which she basically told him already anyway) because she apparently can't just run around a corner or something? Not in the manga, there Tuxedo Mask just tells her to transform and thus reveals that he knows who she is.

And worst of all, the final attack:
In the manga, after transforming and a quick monologue and pep talk from Tuxedo Mask, Usagi just releases a huge flash of light from the Moon Stick that covers the entire city and heals everyone, then faints from exhaustion in Mamoru's arms.

In the anime... she and Mamoru FLY through the sky up to the Tokyo Tower, blast Zoicite with her healing powers that I don't think should have that effect on him but we'll see here the anime takes this, then does some really terribly animated jumping around the city healing everyone before collapsing in Mamoru's arms at the exact place she initially transforms... and he takes her to his home and not up to her friends at the Tokyo Tower for some reason. This scene was so terribly done I'm not even sure how it was supposed to be interpreted.

It's just so... the fist half of the episode is fine, but when they start deriving from the manga, it just turns into a nonsensical mess full of plot holes, out-of-character actions and scenes that I'm not sure what even happens in. I don't get it. But this was terribly done and I hope they don't try something like this again.

Last edited by Adamant; 10-06-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #42
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Aaaahh what's goin' on with this series anyhow? I mean it's got the mangas pacing down, episode titles, a buncha dialogue, but there's so many changes! Even right from the start I forgot, Sailor Moon does occassionally have Sailor V-like goggles but in the anime they've not even once been shown! I guess instead of being a 1:1 conversion Crystal's still gonna do some things its own way. Having like 4 versions of SM now an all with their own unique stuff doesn't seem so bad since none of 'em are "obsoleted" but some Crystal's changes haven't been for the better. Next ep better do Minako justice at the very least!
Old 10-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #43
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Sorry to hear you weren't a big fan of Episode 06, Adamant. :\ I found it to be pretty enjoyable myself. Then again, I don't have much investment in the franchise and have only marginal familiarity with the manga. I can appreciate why it would be disappointing to manga fans that what we had hoped would be a manga-faithful adaptation has been throwing us curve balls with increasing frequency.

Regarding the bit about the girls not falling under the influence of the television broadcast: you claim that they were shown watching the TV, but I don't remember seeing that. I feel like Usagi wasn't shown until she discovered her hypnotized mother; and I feel like the two girls in the city center (I forget which two it was) were not shown ever directly looking at the broadcast until after the spell had already been initiated. The presentation gave me the impression that it was watching and listening to the TV itself that hypnotized the people rather than air waves. I mean, if it was only air waves, you wouldn't even need to have had TVs shown to begin with, right? You could just show everyone becoming hypnotized even in their sleep. But that wasn't what was shown. What was shown was people watching this one TV program with cross-gender Zoisite and subsequently falling under the influence of his hypnosis. To me, that implies that air waves alone wouldn't do it -- and therefore Usagi and the other senshi were fine, even if they were within the affected area at the time of the broadcast.

My friend IRL, the one who is a huge Sailor Moon fan, he too was poking fun at Mamoru's remarkable teleportation abilities. "I'm not like you girls, Usagi. =\ I don't have any special powers." *teleports five city blocks away and seven stories up in like two minutes*
Old 10-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #44
Adamant
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Sorry to hear you weren't a big fan of Episode 06, Adamant. :\ I found it to be pretty enjoyable myself. Then again, I don't have much investment in the franchise and have only marginal familiarity with the manga. I can appreciate why it would be disappointing to manga fans that what we had hoped would be a manga-faithful adaptation has been throwing us curve balls with increasing frequency.
Nah, I'm fine with the anime changing stuff - episode 5 changed a lot, and as I said, the changes actually improved on the story by calling proper attention to a plot point that was way too downplayed in the manga, as well expanding on Mako's intro scene and making us get to know her much better.

This episode, however, added nothing, it just introduced a bunch of plot holes and made everyone act out of character.

Quote:
Regarding the bit about the girls not falling under the influence of the television broadcast: you claim that they were shown watching the TV, but I don't remember seeing that. I feel like Usagi wasn't shown until she discovered her hypnotized mother; and I feel like the two girls in the city center (I forget which two it was) were not shown ever directly looking at the broadcast until after the spell had already been initiated. The presentation gave me the impression that it was watching and listening to the TV itself that hypnotized the people rather than air waves. I mean, if it was only air waves, you wouldn't even need to have had TVs shown to begin with, right? You could just show everyone becoming hypnotized even in their sleep. But that wasn't what was shown. What was shown was people watching this one TV program with cross-gender Zoisite and subsequently falling under the influence of his hypnosis. To me, that implies that air waves alone wouldn't do it -- and therefore Usagi and the other senshi were fine, even if they were within the affected area at the time of the broadcast.
The hypnosis definitely happened via the TV, yeah. Usagi was shown not watching it, so that's ok, but the other three were shown in the city, near a giant TV screen, reporting on people getting hypnotized all around them. It just doesn't make sense that they didn't watch the broadcast when they're right there and it makes no sense for them to NOT watch it. As I sad, in the manga, the only ones specifically shown to ignore the broadcast are Luna and Mamoru (and neither of them suspect it's a trap), which are also the only two specifically shown NOT to get affected by it.

Plus Usagi gets her energy drained in the anime too, which doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #45
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

I love how you guys are comparing the anime and the manga and having in-depth discussion while I'm still screaming at my screen that "MAMORU CANNOT BE A FREAKING HIGH SCHOOL KID, NO BLOODY WAY". And then episode 7 happened and I'm melting into goo like I did when I was 11 and Mamoru was a college student in the first anime.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #46
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 07:

I thought that this was a really, really solid episode. Like, 8/10 at least. Problem is, I watched it a week and a half ago and I don't feel like going into too many details about it now. ^^; If people want to strike up conversation with me about things shown in this episode, by all means please do. For now I'll just offer a few thoughts on what comes to mind.

I'm really surprised by the pacing the story is taking. I feel like Usagi did not put two and two together that Tuxedo Mask is Mamoru until around halfway to two-thirds of the way through the live-action series. Granted, I last saw the series eight years ago! So I could be remembering things incorrectly. It just ... I feel like I remember rolling my eyes at Usagi for taking as long as she did to realize who Tuxedo Mask is. While six episodes is still longer than it took anyone watching at home, it's pretty respectable for the unintelligent protagonist of a story like this one.

I want to say that I am pleasantly surprised by the pacing. That is my immediate feeling towards pacing like what we're getting here. But I guess I have a two-sided problem with the pacing that make me bite my tongue. I'll discuss it below, after I discuss my thoughts on Episode 08, such that I can discuss it with respect to everything I currently know.

Speaking of pacing, this episode sees the introduction of Queen Metallia as well as, at the veeeeeeeeeeery end of the episode, Sailor Venus. It also introduces some backstory for Beryl. We're informed that she arrived in Antarctica (perhaps she was formerly a research scientist? Who knows ...) and that she happened upon Queen Metallia's resting place. We're also informed that Beryl isn't too eager to just hand over the Silver Crystal to Metallia. Like a textbook second-in-command villain who proxies for the first, Beryl is harboring plans to use the crystal's power for herself. We can already see where this is headed: Metallia, weakened though she may be, will have more than enough strength to strike Beryl down and take the crystal for herself; and Beryl, blinded by her greed, will pay with her life for double-crossing Metallia. That's just my guess, anyway. I honestly don't remember Queen Beryl's fate in the live-action series. But the way things are looking in Crystal, I'd be very surprised if she isn't killed by Metallia for daring to defy her.

Sailor Venus I would have normally excitedly discussed here ... but since I'm writing about Episode 08 at the same time as Episode 07, we may as well move on to the next episode and discuss her there.

Episode 08:

This was another good episode. Sailor Venus and Artemis are finally formally introduced. Venus is passed off as Princess Serenity and everyone, even Luna, seems willing to believe it. But Usagi is haunted by recurrent nightmares where she reaches out her arm to a handsome warrior who resembles Mamoru, cries out "Endymion!" as he swashbuckles some foot soldiers, and he hollers back to her, "Serenity!" If the episode didn't already make it clear enough for you, the sneak peek for next week's episode is more than kind enough to oblige.

In the live action version, Minako's arrival was a lot less pleasant for Usagi. Minako displayed disgust with Usagi as the leader of the Sailor Senshi and pretty much wrested control from her. The other girls were torn between disdain for Minako's usurpation and begrudging acceptance that Minako is a far superior leader than Usagi is. We don't see that here in Crystal at all, and I'm not sure which version is closest to the manga or even whether either of them is close or not. In Crystal, Minako plays the part of a fairly humble Princess Serenity while in front of the girls and plays the part of a stereotypical "I can do this all on my own! I don't want them to get hurt!" self-sacrificing hero type when they're not around to see it. Artemis keeps telling her that she doesn't have to fight alone any longer but Minako seems determined to not drag Usagi and the others into dangerous fights, especially not after seeing Usagi nearly get herself strangled to death by Zoisite.

Usagi is too stupid (and/or too amnestic) to put two and two together regarding her recurring visions and what's been going on in her life as of late. But even if she doesn't realize who Princess Serenity is, she begins to act a bit more responsible in several areas of her life. As leader of the Sailor Scouts, as a girl in love with Chiba Mamoru ... regarding the latter, she's the one who takes the initiative and kisses him on the lips while Mamoru's the one who is left behind, speechless, just like female characters stereotypically were in pre-1990s fiction. It's the sort of thing that I think many a feminist can eat her heart out over. Though I suppose they will still complain about Mamoru is always the one who's there to save the day ...

... But yeah ... about that ... Mamoru rushes in to save Usagi from an energy attack of Kunzite's and he pretty much takes the full force of it. (Like he's told her a million times before: aside from teleportation he has no powers!) Our episode ends on this exciting cliffhanger as we wonder about Mamoru's fate and the mystery Princess Serenity.

Speculation for next week. Since I am technically tarnished by having seen the live action series, I'll place it in a spoiler tag of its own so as to not unfairly influence others.

I expect that Mamoru's memories will be jogged by this attack he took. Again, I don't remember how the live action series went here so I promise I'm not spoiling anybody. I just figure it's the sort of thing that seems obvious in this circumstance. We'll have to find out together next week. (Decided to spoiler tag anyway so no one has to get upset that I may subconsciously be drawing on eight-year old memories.)

In my post for Episode 07, I brought up the pacing, saying that I think I liked it but also indicating that I don't think I like it. Let's discuss this now that we're through discussing Episode 08, the latest episode to have aired.

The problem I have with Sailor Moon Crystal's pacing is pretty much one parent problem -- "it's too fast" -- with two subproblem aspects to it.

The first of these two is that the current pacing, being as fast as it is, doesn't leave us much time remaining before the end of the Dark Kingdom story arc (if I recall correctly). When we originally heard that Toei was reanimating Sailor Moon and that they'd be doing it in the form of twenty-six episodes aired biweekly, I think 99% of us assumed that they'd be animating the Dark Kingdom arc and not much more nor less. But we're already onto the fourth general now. We've already introduced all five of the main Sailor Senshi. Hell: Usagi has been foreshadowed to remember that she is Princess Serenity in the very next epsiode. At this rate, if Dark Kingdom isn't wrapped up by the end of Episode 13, I will be shocked.

The second aspect to the pacing's being too fast is the fact that it has compromised the other characters' depth as characters. AK2 asked me the other day, "Who is your favorite Sailor Senshi?" It was an innocent question but it led to a fifteen-minute exposition as I wrestled with the fact that, quite frankly, we haven't really been given shit about the other girls aside from their respective first episodes. Ami had hers (02), Rei had hers (03), Makoto hers (05), and now Minako has had half of hers (0. Besides their introductory episodes, what have the earliest three supporters of Usagi's done in Crystal? How is it possible for any little boys or girls watching the show to say, "I like _______! She's my favowite!" without basing it almost entirely on appearances and stock character attributes (e.g. "Ami's da smawt one! :3 I wike hehw!") that the show has declared these girls possess rather than really showing? This comes up a lot in Pokémon XY discussions and now it's coming up here in Sailor Moon Crystal: for all that we say we hate fillers, a well-written story often makes use of "fillers" to give our characters a little extra dimension. Right now the story of Sailor Moon Crystal has been moving along at such a brisk speed that the airtime has been almost entirely allocated to either 1) the core plot or 2) Usagi. Rather than feeling like we have five girls right now who are roughly equal in terms of character development, we've got four girls who are roughly equal and way near the bottom ... and then we have Usagi all alone and way near the top. We may accuse them of being time wasters, but scenes that show us a character's love of curry, soft spot for animals, or excellence at traditional Japanese swordfighting are the kinds of scenes that make a character feel like a real person rather than a 2-dimensional plot tool.

All of these complaints aside, I have enjoyed the pacing. It's a double-edged sword when you trim out of all of the fat: you may make the story more bland, yes, but man if you don't also let us get to the meat without interference. I was originally worried that Sailor Moon Crystal would be excruciating to watch since it could be 2015 before we meet Minako, could even be next spring before Usagi discovers the truth about Mamoru's past. The fact that we've already cleared all of those objectives and it still isn't even November is amazing to me. It really does allow Sailor Moon Crystal to be the Cliff's Notes version of the franchise, something you can easily plug to people who show a weak interest in wanting to check Sailor Moon off of their bucket lists and who don't seem too keen on picking up the manga. It may not provide as rich of an experience as a slower version might, but it sure shouldn't scare them away either. Every single episode here advances the plot. Only one episode out of eight has been even remotely near to being labeled as filler (Episode 04, the ballroom dance episode) and even that had some plot development in it.

So yeah ... I guess I have a love/hate relationship with the current pacing. ^^; I wish it kept up its overall, with-respect-to-the-calendar pacing ... but I guess I also wish that we had episodes in between (i.e. on the weekends where nothing airs) that would provide us with character-enriching scenes.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #47
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Manga Arc 1: 14 chapters
Crystal Arc 1: 14 episodes

Manga Arc 1: 12 chapters
Crystal Arc 1: 12 episodes? (obviously since they announced only 26 eps)

With the first arc over an the second soon to start I'ma chime in an say I'm still liking this new series! The good/bad/pointless changes have made things alil less predictable at the very least! Pacing is a problem just like it was in the manga, but like the Sailor V series was all about Minako, Sailor Moon's all about Usagi. Its a fair complaint ta make since Moon's got a bigger cast an all. The original anime had its own pacing problems what with the plot moving at a snails pace but more characters got more visibility which was nice, even though it was rare ta see anyone but Usagi finish off a baddie. Plus compared to the manga/crystal the Inners seemed like much less of a team an less devoted to their princess/duties which was kinda lame.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #48
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
So I want to ask something for people who have been following this.

Sailor V, presumably, has been active and fighting crime for a long time before Moon ever came into the picture. Was the world generally aware that V had super-powers? Did Serena express shock that super-powers existed in the world, or was she sort of accepting because she already knew V existed (and was a fan).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #49
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
So I want to ask something for people who have been following this.

Sailor V, presumably, has been active and fighting crime for a long time before Moon ever came into the picture. Was the world generally aware that V had super-powers? Did Serena express shock that super-powers existed in the world, or was she sort of accepting because she already knew V existed (and was a fan).
Going by the Sailor V manga she was certainly known by the police and public but I don't think it was super well know that she had magic powers or anything. Serena was shocked by Luna talking and about the situation she'd suddenly been thrown into, not so much the magic and all that stuff.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #50
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Along with Pokémon, Death Parade, JoJo, and a number of other threads, I let this one fall into disuse because of being torn between having much less free time these days and yet wanting to keep on writing big ol' posts with lots of pictures and stuff. But I suppose that some posts is better than no posts at all, so at least for Sailor Moon Crystal, which I'm not terribly excited about ^^; , I'll go ahead and resume posting but with just pure text. A lot easier this way.

I'm currently through Episode 18, and I have to say that:
  1. I'm enjoying the series, much more than I think most of the series' most eager initial viewers are.
  2. But I'm not amazed by it either. In fact, I'd say it ranks pretty near the bottom of my list of shows I'm currently watching.
I know that Adamant was concerned with differences between Crystal and the manga when last we were actively posting in this thread. And over here in Lafayette, my friend in town who's big into Sailor Moon is very disappointed by this production. But as for me, I think I'm able to enjoy it more than a manga fan like Adamant since I'm ignorant of the changes and I'm also able to enjoy it more than the both of them since I am much less invested in this franchise than I believe either of them to be. (Can't speak for Adamant, but man if my friend in town isn't invested in Sailor Moon.)

But I think my biggest problem with Sailor Moon Crystal right now is that, ironically, in being the Cliff's Notes version of the tale, trimmed of all "filler," it is just too damn slim. The characters are as shell-like as they come, pure vehicles for getting us from Major Canon Plot Point A to Major Canon Plot Point B. It's improved somewhat in the Dark Moon arc over what we had in the Dark Kingdom arc, but the confines of only half an hour every two weeks are still quite palpable. In trying to tell 52 episodes' worth of material (I'd wager) in only 26, they're pulling it off -- narrowly -- by focusing 100% on the plot and excising all of the material that would actually make us give a damn about these characters. If Minako and Ami ever had a heart-to-heart about abusive boyfriends at the park in the original, they don't here. If Rei and Usagi ever had an eat-off at a sushi bar, they don't here. I'm making these examples up, having not read the manga myself nor seen the original TV series, but you get my point: there is nothing that these characters do outside of slaying monsters of the week thrown their way, and it leaves them feeling even more shallow than the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

Maybe this complaint can largely be blamed on Takeuchi Naoko and her original writing. I don't know. All I know is, if the filler would have made these characters feel more like actual people and less like sentai outfits with no one on the inside wearing them, then I would have preferred to keep the filler.

We've encountered a similar problem with Pokémon in the latter half of Unova. Fans have long deplored filler episodes in SHoPro's Pokémon, so when Unova came about they decided to make it as filler-free as possible. But it turned out that filler episodes, it just so happens, are what ShoPro has almost always used to develop the characters further. "Plot episodes for the plot, filler episodes for the characters." While Unova paradoxically boasts some of the richest Pokémon personalities in the history of the franchise (namely Oshawott, Emolga, and Krookodile), it also sports some of the franchise's poorest. (Unfezant, Boldore, and Palpitoad, oh my ...) And many of the episodes which lent character richness to the richest characters ... were what you would normally call "filler episodes." No gym badges won, no league battles partook in, just Ash & Co. chilling on the side of a riverbank while stuff relevant only to one or two specific Pokémon happens. The writers learned from this experience that filler is, at worst, a "necessary evil"; at best, a wholesome part of proper storytelling. Choose whichever spot you like on the spectrum, but for ShoPro, at least, they haven't found a way to write rich characters without turning to fillers.

Not all stories require fillers to make characters rich. But the examples that come to mind are some of the richest stories I have ever had the pleasure of reading or watching in my life. Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Karei Naru Ichizoku, for example, are both filler-free and yet feature incredibly rich plots and characters. But that's because they're masterfully written. :') If you can't write that well, then maybe fillers provide a sort of "training wheels" for you by which to make your characters richer. If that's what Takeuchi Naoko needed, then Toei was wrong to cut those episodes out of the equation. If not, and if her original story had pretty much no filler, then either her original characters were bland too or else all of the problems with Sailor Moon Crystal's shallow characters can be chalked up to the incredibly fast pacing / short episode count.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime