UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 02-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Wobbuffet 75 billion dollar mortgage relief plan.

Obama has unveiled a 75 billion dollar plan to help people out with mortgage issues. Catch is, we're the ones paying for it via taxes.

Honestly, I think an MSNBC host put it perfectly: Why on earth would I give money to my neighbors who just bought a house they knew they couldn't afford, but they just had to have it because of that extra bathroom. Why should anyone help them out? It's their fault for not being responsible enough.

I guess you could say I just pulled this discussion out of thin air because Debate has been dead for so long. But it is relevant.

Discuss.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I'll just leave this here

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

So...how about them big numbers?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
deoxys
Fog Badge

The bailout and the stimulous package are the biggest bunch of bullshit ever, and whats worse is not a SINGLE person read what was actually inside of the package. WTF? It's ridiculous. I don't like the fact that idiots and money wasters are running the legislative branch if this country.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

What are you guys talking about? Obama is the messiah and he's come to bail out all of us.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
The bailout and the stimulous package are the biggest bunch of bullshit ever, and whats worse is not a SINGLE person read what was actually inside of the package. WTF? It's ridiculous.
In that case, you're going to love what I'm about to tell you.

As you know, people have been invoking the New Deal left and right when talking about the stimulus plan, and that brings to mine certain things like, oh, I don't know, building shit.

800 billion dollars. Of that 800 billion, just 30 billion is going into construction. 30 billion when civil engineering groups have pegged the cost of repairing/upgrading US infastructure at 2.2 trillion.

As my civil engineer mother put it, it's no great surprise that the stock market took a huge 1000 point shit when they passed the stimulus.

EDIT: And fun fact. Kern County (the geographically largest county in California) gets 32 million of this said 30 billion when it's all said and done. Some of the potential projects that could use this money cost 20+ million alone. You can tell this cash is going to go really far, can't you?
Old 02-21-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
deoxys
Fog Badge

It's bullshit. I want to know what the heck they're thinking. It's almost like everyone in Washington got together, got really drunk and decided they were going to pass the biggest pork spending bill in history, and each person was going to take turns adding stuff to the bill. Useless stuff. It's non sense and every single perdon who voted on that bill should be ashamed for helping collectively shit on the economy.

And on a side note, I'm not sure of it's truthiness, but I heard that a bill was introduced that required members of legislative branches to read a bill, or at least a good portion of it before they could pass it. I heard it was voted down, how sad is that? What the hell?

Washington=tard city.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Perhaps this thread should be renamed "2008/9 USA Bailouts" or even just "Bailouts" in general? Considering that's what the discussion here is all about, and not just mortgage relief, I figure that's appropriate. And that this is also the appropriate thread for me to bump with this bailout-related news story:

JPMorgan reveals shock $2bn trading loss on investments

Whether you were for the banks getting bailed out or against it from the start, I think most anybody would be angered by this: the same risky investment practices that led to the collapse of the banks' infrastructure back in 2008 appears to be the same practices that JPMorgan Chase does in 2012.* It makes the 2008/9 bailouts seem an awful lot more like lending a gambling addict a $5,000 loan and letting him go back to the roulette wheel than it does lending an ailing business the necessary $5,000 to get its feet back on the ground and become debt-free. Before people say, "But Talon! Investments are inherently risky! It's an inexact science! 'You win some, you lose some' as they say! 'You have to take risks in order to win'!", yes, yes, I realize all of this. But I'm just saying: you can't deny that this news story sours the mood even just the tiniest smidge. ^^;

* It should be noted that the practices of other banks which led to their collapse in 2008, while they may be the same practices of JPMorgan Chase today in 2012, were not that bank's practices in 2008: "It had emerged from the 2008 financial crisis in much better health than many of its rivals after avoiding risky investments that had hurt others." Still, they behaved in 2011/12 in a manner similar to what the other banks behaved in in 2007/8 and the consequences have been no different.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Thank you for this. Finally some common sense being discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
It's bullshit. I want to know what the heck they're thinking. It's almost like everyone in Washington got together, got really drunk and decided they were going to pass the biggest pork spending bill in history, and each person was going to take turns adding stuff to the bill. Useless stuff. It's non sense and every single perdon who voted on that bill should be ashamed for helping collectively shit on the economy.

And on a side note, I'm not sure of it's truthiness, but I heard that a bill was introduced that required members of legislative branches to read a bill, or at least a good portion of it before they could pass it. I heard it was voted down, how sad is that? What the hell?

Washington=tard city.
This is precisely why I don't trust Government. And I'm sure if we read into the actual text of the bailout bills, we'd find even more stuff to be outraged about.

Seriously, a bill requiring legislators to read the bills before passing was voted down? Not that I'm surprised, what with the Senate we have, but, seriously, that's sad. Just goes to show how much corruption has occurred in government, last Century such a notion wouldn't even need to have been brought up, it was just common sense. *sigh*
Like Nancy Peloski says, "We have to pass this bill to find out what's in it. "

Hopefully when Conservatives win the Congressional Majority again, that bill will be brought back up and passed.

Anyway, just popped in to say those few things. I'll leave you all to debate amongst yourselves for now. Glad to see some proper outrage at government for a change.

Last edited by unownmew; 05-11-2012 at 08:24 PM.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Feburary 2009. May 2012.

Seriously guys? And technically it's a new topic.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate