UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 02-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Omanyte Twitch Plays Pokemon

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

Why are you not watching this? Praise be to based Helix.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsy
Start Button OP please ban.

Spoiler: show
Fizzy Bubbles Profile/Whimlist/ASB/Wild Future
Inactive Ref, laziness op~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
#still
#fucking
#salty

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

this is like watching cats be herded.

It's unbelievable how far they've made it.

Quote:
C O N S U L T T H E H E L I X F O S S I L

Last edited by Shuckle; 02-16-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Red Panda
head head bitch

Beautiful.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I have this on idle in the background but I honestly don't know how you guys can stomach watching it for more than a few minutes at a time. Far too frustrating to watch. Gives me a headache. ^^;

I'm hopeful that someone will make a timeline (text format would probably be preferred though I guess an image or series of images would work too) which lists off all of the accomplishments and major events and when they happened. So for example ...
  • time and date when they beat Brock
  • time and date when they beat Misty
  • time when Route 9 was first reached
  • time when Route 9 was finally escaped
People are saying that this run is doomed to failure because of the malicious bots and the road to Indigo Plateau, but honestly I think this run could be doomed far sooner than that from a practical perspective: it's entirely possible that the trolls manage to get Red to release his entire team save one Pokémon and that they then cancel learning new moves for any damage-dealing attacks. Thus you wind up with (say) a Pidgeotto who knows only Sand-Attack, Whirlwind, Agility, and Double Team. With no Move Relearner in Gen 1, few TMs (because the trolls keep having Red throw his away and they can easily thwart efforts to purchase new TMs from Celadon City), and the ability to release Pokémon permanently, I honestly think that this run could be doomed before they even get to Saffron City, much less Indigo Plateau.

Still, it's an interesting social experiment on a variety of levels.
  • Interesting microcosm of human society, politics, democracy, [insert your choice here].
  • Interesting application of the monkeys+typewriters+Shakespeare hypothesis. While the input is pseudo-random and not truly random, it is for all intents and purposes as good as random given 1) malicious interference abutting good-intentioned commands, 2) the inconsistent lag between what is typed in and what is shown, and 3) so, so many people participating and typing whatever they damn well please.
  • Interesting experiment to see to what extent, if any, a collaborative human effort can outmuscle bots without bending the rules.
  • Interesting experiment to see what sorts of bots different programmers come up with to devastate this run. Which ones are most efficient, which ones are least discernible from real humans without sacrificing significant power to influence the outcome, etc.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
Lady Kuno

Now they're trying to cut the hedge to fight Erika. The hardest part so far was that thin ledge going to Rock Tunnel. That took an entire day to do.

Thankfully all of us level headed people managed to steer RED away from Eevee and save that last spot for Lapras. Sadly no one else wanted to get Fly before the gym. D:

We did manage to deposit the Digging Ratata into the PC without releasing anyone.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

This is the biggest easiest way to do nothing and get a shit ton of viewers almost 24/7 and rake in sponsorship money.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
Lady Kuno

Oh shit they entered the gym.

Hoping Drowzee gets a level so he can learn Confusion already.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Empress View Post
The hardest part so far was that thin ledge going to Rock Tunnel. That took an entire day to do.
Yeah, I know. I've known about this thing since Friday, around the same time that half the world found out about it because of game journalism websites reporting on it. Had it on on mute in the background for a lot of Saturday. Same situation today. I check in randomly once every few hours just to see where they are.

Quote:
Thankfully all of us level headed people
How you can actively participate in this I just don't understand. I mean, I understand the community side of it, with the Reddits and the 4chans and whatnot. But not the actual typing in commands portion. That just strikes me as insanity given that the chat is 100% guaranteed to have a shitton of automated bots replying. But I guess it is because of folks like you that the bots will get overpowered if in fact they do! And I mean, hell: if you've made it to Celadon City, then you have! Keep it up! I guess. ^^;

Quote:
managed to steer RED away from Eevee and save that last spot for Lapras. Sadly no one else wanted to get Fly before the gym. D:
I was going to ask why getting Eevee was bad ...
  • putting aside its dogshit Gen 1 moveset and its still-dogshit stats)
  • considering you're right there in Celadon and can purchase an evolution stone easily
... and that was when I realized: Ah. You can't. ^^; Fucking trolls. You guys have like no money left (because of all the whiting out) and you have nothing to pawn off for cash either (because of all the trolls making you guys drop items). So you can't buy an evolution stone even if you wanted to. Welllllllllll ... that sucks. ^^;

Btw, I'm not saying Eevee > Lapras. I'm just saying I figured you guys might want to try for both. It wasn't until I realized that, no, you'd be fucking stuck with Eevee as an Eevee forever, that I realized it really wasn't worth getting one and then having to risk the PC again. Because man: if you guys ever have to use the PC again to deposit something, goooooooooooooooooooooood luck not releasing that fucker. It's a miracle you didn't release Charmeleon the first time you used the PC to deposit Rattata.

Quote:
We did manage to deposit the Digging Ratata into the PC without releasing anyone.
Right, I read about that this morning. When I last checked in, it would have been around (I dunno) 12:30am to 1:00am local. I saw that you guys only had five creatures on the team and figured, "Oh shit! The assholes made them release somebody!" but when I saw that it wasn't Pidgeotto or Charmeleon, your guys' two highest-leveled creatures, I quit trying to remember who it would have been. It wasn't until this morning when I checked to see what people were saying about this crazy project that I saw the fanart and the fan discussions talking about Rattata's fate.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
This is the biggest easiest way to do nothing and get a shit ton of viewers almost 24/7 and rake in sponsorship money.
Like a lot of things in life, this guy had a simple idea, put it into practice, and may make a shitton of money from just that. First, and had the motivation to act. That's all.

That stated, I don't expect this sort of project to make him or copycats much money in a few weeks' time. As people lose interest in this one, they'll vanish, and with them vanishes ad revenue. And people are only interested in this one because it's Pokémon.
  • That perfect combination of doability and impossibility. You can totally see this being a game they can never beat randomly ... yet you could also see it being possible. This stream would not have been popular with a much easier game to win through brute force randomness (e.g. Pac-Man) nor would it have been popular with one all but impossible to win with brute force randomness (e.g. Superman 64).
  • That perfect mass appeal. Almost everyone younger than 30 who has owned a portable Nintendo console has at least played a Pokémon game.
The copycats who try to do things like "Twitch Plays Puyo Pop Fever," "Twitch Plays Grand Theft Auto IV", and "Twitch Plays Halo" are going to find themselves a few dollars richer, not the thousands of dollars that this guy could very well have made so far. They simply won't have the audience. The Internet's attention span is so short and people will have already gotten their "Twitch Plays ___" fix from this one. You might get a few diehard fanatics with nothing better to do with their time and who cling to the hope of being part of the next big tsunami of memes ... but aside from them, no, they'll be ghost towns, those channels. Even the original is going to drop from tens of thousands of active viewers to a mere 200 or 300 still-online bots and ten or twenty living breathing human beings in a few months' time, I would reckon.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #11
Lady Kuno

My PC froze so I missed some gym happening. We took down a few trainers and I think we wiped somewhere. But Drowzee DID level up and get confusion. Finally we have not only a special attack, one thats super effective on ghosts to boot. It needs more levels, though.

It looks like they managed to cut past that tree again for a rematch. I think most of the trainers were taken down. Man, Gen1 Wrap is the worst.

There is no way we'd be able to buy the correct stone/use the correct stone without tossing it etc. Lapras is the safe bet, even if you do get it at level 15. It's for surf, not for battling. Although it is good for battling, this isnt a situation best for leveling low levels. Haha.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Laughter and clapping at what I just witnessed: a paralyzed Pidgeot with only 19 HP managing to somehow KO, through random inputs, a Level 24 Bulbasaur followed by a Level 24(?) Ivysaur. Incredible. They challenged the trainer hoping to lose to be returned to the Pokémon Center, full health, but instead they won. I guess now the question is whether the trainer on the left has been challenged yet -- and if not, whether they'll go for her or go for Erika.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #13
Lady Kuno

Pretty sure that pidgeot is level 40 or something silly.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #14
Emp
Volcano Badge

This is frustrating to watch.

I wish there was some way of filtering out the trolls. Something like:
A) A 3 second interval before a button is selected, where the most common option is input.
B) A button is only input if 3 unique commenters choose that button in a row

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #15
Lady Kuno

There was a start filter before. After pressing start it would only be able to be pressed again after 30 seconds. No idea why it was removed. Really annoying since start has priority over everything.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #16
Sneaze
Mrow?

Honestly I feel like filters are cheating. The entire point is whether enough people can band together to get shit done, even with others purposefully trolling.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #17
Emp
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
Honestly I feel like filters are cheating. The entire point is whether enough people can band together to get shit done, even with others purposefully trolling.
Sure the entire point now is to battling against the trolls to cut down a tree (which has been going on for hours) but I don't think that was supposed to be the point. Surely it was invisioned more as people banding together and making unified decisions to beat the game.

You can't even call this playing a game.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #18
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
There should be a Start filter. It is an easy "stop whatever you are doing" button that anyone can press. Unlike directions and stuff which can only be done one at a time, you can Start in many more instances than you can press directions and it is super fucking annoying.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
Sneaze
Mrow?

Yeah but then you run into the problem of people easily being able to spam B in order to prevent any HM's ever being learnt or used.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #20
Lady Kuno

Those seem to have less priority. It seems you can only press one button a time, except for start which can be pressed at the same time (generally).

Old 02-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If you think of it in terms of Batman's relationship with the Joker (as, for example, expressed by this fan; scroll down for the wall o' text), with the Twitch trolls being like the Joker and the Twitch sincere being like Batman, then the sincere cannot change the rules of the game lest they hand the trolls victory.
Troll victory condition: getting the project manager and sincere players to admit that this project was doomed from the start

Sincere player victory condition: defying the trolls' verdict and beating the game despite all of the obstacles in the way presented by the current rule set
Sure, you can change the rules: but that's precisely what the trolls want you to do. They're trolling not simply for shits and giggles in the moment: they're trolling for a philosophically more cynical and long-lasting purpose. They're trolling to try and prove that this project cannot succeed. If you change the rules, you admit that they are right.

Now ... granted, I do believe they are right. But if I was one of the people following this game passionately, if I was involved in the community effort to get Red to the Hall of Records, I would probably be opposed to any sort of interference from the host. No filters, no inexplicable server downtime, none of that. Leave the computer on and let us try our best to beat the trolls. That'd be my attitude where I one of the many people who are participating in this project with a good heart.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #22
Lady Kuno

But there were filters. They are just gone now for some reason. Also that Batman post is pretty cool.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #23
Lady Kuno

Also I think you're severely over-estimating trolls a bit. Most of them are bored teenagers. If they see spamming Start won't work they'll just go "Aw that sucks" and just give up or keep trying anyway. This isn't a deep philosophical thing to me. Trust me I have experience with that age range and most of them are pretty dumb and chaotic just because.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #24
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I know people who would take 90 minutes out of their day to write the bot -- just for the transient challenge of it -- and then let it loose on the Twitter channel from now until July just because it amuses them and they have the equipment and Internet connection to make such a feat possible.

I think you underestimate just how depressed, bored, and knowledgeable some adults are. ^^;
Old 02-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #25
Lady Kuno

I'm not denying that, but when you consider 50k people or so are watching this, how many of them do you think are bored teenagers vs bored programmers? I'd be surprised if less than 1/3rd the people watching this are under 18. Verses the maybe 5-10% of viewers who have the know-how to do something like that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON