UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 08-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #51
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Spoiler: show
But what if the White Whale were to suddenly join Subaru's side?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #52
Connor
Flashbacker

Nothing will redeem it in my mind. That thing will haunt my nightmares I swear. Nothing in the series has managed to inspire that much of a reaction from me.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #53
deoxys
Fog Badge

Today's episode was really nice.

Finally some time to just... breathe. The last several episodes have been far too action packed and full of insane and total despair. This was a nice break from that, and it was really nice to have.

A very interesting little tidbit I found from reddit, regarding the end of the episode;

Quote:
According to Tappei's twitter(the author), the staff put a lot of effort into the ringtone. They argued a lot about the choice of ringtone before deciding which one to use.

They even went to search for a handphone model similar to Subaru's, composed the ringtone melody on it, then brought the phone to the studio and recorded the ringtone by placing it at the mic, then finally put it in the episode.
Also for the curious, the ringtone used is the theme song of the old children's cartoon, A Dog of Flanders. I seriously commend that kind of dedication. That's really awesome.

Re: Zero is easily so far my AOTY. This studio has just been all around phenomenal. The episode's ending gave me total chills, especially when the ringtone started getting distorted - I'm REALLY looking forward to the next episode.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:04 AM   #54
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I liked the episode just for the plot dump/change of pace. This episode doesn't feel off tone for the series, but there is a bit of mood whiplash compared with last week's god experience requiem.

I wonder just how much Rem helped Subaru. That much was cut, unfortunately, but it's worth seeing. Subaru clearly put his connections/future knowledge together here, and she's professed to not be smart. Was it just her reassurance, or did she actually give Subaru the pointers on how to negociate?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:01 AM   #55
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Liked this one a fair bit, but I'm not sure how they're going to take that airship of a whale down with swords. It's like trying to sink a modern battleship with catapults.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:07 AM   #56
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Holy crap we finally got a break from all the mayhem, woo! Really have enjoyed every episode so far and I'm with Deo on it being AOTY. Really amazing stuff from the studio that's been producing it.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #57
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

This anime is really top-tier.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-14-2016, 07:19 PM   #58
Crys

Top notch shit, this show.

What's Rems favorite party game?

Twister :^)
Old 08-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #59
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Who's Rem?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-15-2016, 07:24 AM   #60
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

*replace Wilson with Wilhelm
Old 08-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #61
Connor
Flashbacker

FUCK
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #62
deoxys
Fog Badge

I have a feeling the other White Whales are just illusions or something. We've already seen this thing can use mind trickery.

Regardless, a very very good episode. This anime is so good. It's nice to see Dopple saying the anime is top-tier after seemingly begrudgingly getting into it at first (unless he's being sarcastic)
Old 08-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #63
Talon87
時の彼方へ

As someone who doesn't expand the spoiler comments and isn't watching, you guys are confusing me. >_< First you say this anime is heinously awful / disgusting / "I CAN'T WATCH ANYMORE!", now you say it's top-tier and "so good." What is going on!? Is this the next Aku no Hana? Does it explore disgusting people doing disgusting things but is a captivating tale that leaves your breathless? Or what?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #64
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
As someone who doesn't expand the spoiler comments and isn't watching, you guys are confusing me. >_< First you say this anime is heinously awful / disgusting / "I CAN'T WATCH ANYMORE!", now you say it's top-tier and "so good." What is going on!? Is this the next Aku no Hana? Does it explore disgusting people doing disgusting things but is a captivating tale that leaves your breathless? Or what?
The show had a very slow start that even left my girlfriend incredibly reluctant to watch through the first several episodes, even longer than most fans of the show took. But when it gets good, it hits like a brick wall, and then you understand why the first several episodes dragged, and you're hooked (or you're not and you drop it like a hot potato).

On its surface the show looks like another typical fantasy anime the likes of KonoSuba/SAO/whatever, but it's not... at all.

The thing about the show after that though is that it can be frustrating at times to watch the main character make terrible decisions, and it's even worse coupled with the sad fact that the character gets locked into what seems to be an endless loop of despair - it can be emotionally and mentally exhausting, to the point where I've openly said I was contemplating dropping the show simply because of how sad, and sometimes fucked up, it could get. But it's too good for me to drop, which brings me to the next point -

This show's studio is so fucking good at their craft, the animation is fantastic, the story is fantastic, the music is fantastic, and some of the actors are frighteningly good at conveying emotion in their voice. Sometimes the show is just 'okay', but when it has substance, it has substance, and it just chugs it out. The studio also goes out of their way to intricately make certain aspects of the show better by not skimping out and taking shortcuts - for example, in a recent episode, (very, very light spoilers)
the show went dead silent at the end and the only sound that could be heard was that of an old polyphonic ringtone that slowly became more and more distorted with a sense of creepiness. One of the showrunners explained after the episode aired that the team "went to search for a handphone model similar to [the one in the show], composed the ringtone melody on it, then brought the phone to the studio and recorded the ringtone by placing it at the mic, then finally put it in the episode."
To me, this is a prime example that speaks to the studio's dedication to the quality of the show, which absolutely makes it that much more enjoyable to watch.

I won't lie and call the show immaculate though, it definitely has a lot of flaws, and the story does suffer pacing problems from time to time. Some of the episodes were difficult to understand character motivations and actions in, or were frustrating to watch play out. Sometimes the show can be downright boring, too, again, the prime chunk of that happening in the first several episodes. Another issue is that a lot of fans are divisive on how to feel about the main character - many still do not like him, many simply pity him, while many do enjoy his presence and development.

All of that said, hopefully it's a little easier to understand now why thoughts and feelings on this show can fluctuate so extremely and in short amounts of time.

Last edited by deoxys; 08-17-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #65
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
It definitely isn't a "so bad, it's good" situation. This anime has had excellent writing, animation, and especially direction right from the beginning.

It was painful though. Very painful. The main character does things that would make the authors of Watamote, Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa and Oyasumi Punpun cringe.

But this level of degradation allowed the director to hone in on the character development, and in a fairly consistent way.

To take a measured example from a series you respect, I think Re:Zero's character development is equal to Lelouch-Suzaku Code Geass. I personally think it surpasses that (by a lot) because it's extremely consistent - you can see how the main guy progresses every step of the way, as opposed to the tug-of-war portrayals that arose from Sunrise interfering with Geass' writing.

Re:Zero is rather good at setting a gloomy mood and manages to terrify AND horrify even an experienced viewer.

Of the three recent isekai anime (Konosuba, Overlord, and Re:Zero), I think this one is tops, even if it's not my personal favourite of the group. On pure literary merit, it blows the other two out of the water, but its world-building and comedy are the weakest.

Basically, I think this is a show you would like, since the things it's best at you like, and the things its worst at you don't care for.

Also, you seem to have a lot of success with anime that have "zero" in the title.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #66
deoxys
Fog Badge

I love this show, and I hate it once again.

I'm not okay with this

GOD DAMMIT WHY STOP YOU ALREADY SUNK THIS SHIP WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO REBUILD IT!?

THAT aside... all in all one of the strongest episodes of the series so far, if not the strongest. Really, really well done, all around very good. Wonderful performance from the cast and crew on this one. There was one particular moment that even left me shedding a few tears.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:08 AM   #67
Crys

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I love this show, and I hate it once again.

I'm not okay with this

GOD DAMMIT WHY STOP YOU ALREADY SUNK THIS SHIP WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO REBUILD IT!?

THAT aside... all in all one of the strongest episodes of the series so far, if not the strongest. Really, really well done, all around very good. Wonderful performance from the cast and crew on this one. There was one particular moment that even left me shedding a few tears.

Nah that was the expected of this whale hunt. Whales live in the ocean, afterall.

An ocean of Rem's tears.

Good ep though.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:31 AM   #68
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Who's Rem?

But in all honesty, this episode was so satisfying to watch and the feels were real when Wilhelm got to exact his revenge on the White Whale. But yeah, how dare they try to rebuild a ship that they sunk?
Old 08-23-2016, 04:23 AM   #69
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Top tier.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #70
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm at 15:00

It's going pretty well. I can understand why Subaru is super paranoid about things, given what he's gone through. I have the same uneasiness.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #71
Crys

Episode 22

WELCOME TO THE PRIDE

Old 08-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #72
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Where does that come from? The preview?

/didn't watch the preview

Promo spoilers:

Though I have seen promo art with Subaru sprouting four of the unseen hands, with Julius and Felis in the same shot. Bad news bears?

On the episode itself,

Cultists have a tendency to do this. The cult in Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast had the same ability, where if their god Aec'Letec perished, it would immediately reincarnate in one of his cultist's bodies, creating pseudo-immortality.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #73
Crys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Where does that come from? The preview?

/didn't watch the preview

Promo spoilers:

Though I have seen promo art with Subaru sprouting four of the unseen hands, with Julius and Felis in the same shot. Bad news bears?
Promo Art you say? I have not seen this, where find :o

Apparently though, as says people from the reddit, come 3 episodes, is the biggest "fuck you" from the series yet.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:20 AM   #74
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

I have a bad feeling about this, which only makes me suuuuuuper hype for next week's episode.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:06 PM   #75
Crys

fucking called it. Prob because he had the book or some shit smh.

also i wonder what his next checkpoint is lmao

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime