UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 05-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #26
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
  • Are these kinds of public displays a good choice in order to deter poaching/smuggling/similar acts?
  • Do you think this is the right approach by the Kenyan government?
  • Could this kind of thing work well in other contexts?

Discuss!
No on both counts, and it in fact enrages me that that ivory went to waste.

I'm a bit of a weird guy in that I support, or want, to make ivory legal, IF sustainable. I appreciate elephants but I think politics have gotten in the way of making the Asian elephant farmable.

Poaching is, as I see it now, something you have to defeat with farming materials, alongside massive penalties for poaching. That is, you have to make it so wild ivory is more expensive than farmed ivory, and have stuff like the death penalty as punishment for poaching.

That's the ONLY way to get rid of it now. At all levels of income, poaching is so lucrative the ability to engage in it will lead to elephant extinction. Extinction at this point is the only thing aside from farmed ivory that would stop it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:22 PM   #27
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Want to bump this just to re-quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Guns aren't the problem. They aren't even the easiest-access, best weapon to kill a bunch of people with - those are vehicles. Gun abuse by the few doesn't invalidate legitimate gun use by the many.
The Bastille Day massacre brings to light one of the most underrated WMD's available to literally anyone. They offer mass, they offer power, and they offer protection for the terrorist. Vehicle crash systems are so effective now you could plow into a crowd and not be killed. So was the terrorist today (killed by police), and so was the affluenza kid (taken into custody).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-15-2016, 03:02 AM   #28
Selena
Aroma Lady

Except they don't offer range and only work in open field.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:03 AM   #29
Mercutio
Banned

It doesn't matter, Dopple is right. Yeah sure as a targeted assassination weapon for POTUS or whatever, you want a rifle, but I could murder a dozen people in the next half hour just by hot wiring a nearby Prius.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:06 AM   #30
Selena
Aroma Lady

Not saying it doesn't work as a weapon for killing people, but compared to guns there are some limitations.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #31
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

MILITARY COUP IN TURKEY WHAT THE FUCK IS EVEN HAPPENING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:01 PM   #32
Miror
Marsh Badge

Quote:
MILITARY COUP IN TURKEY WHAT THE FUCK IS EVEN HAPPENING
We're living through the chapter in a future history textbook that everyone wonders how this all happened in a single year.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #33
Mercutio
Banned

I'm confused. Is this surprising? I don't feel like this is surprising.

Last edited by Mercutio; 07-15-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:13 PM   #34
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

To people like me who know fuck all about Turkish politics, I mean yeah
Quote:
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #35
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Yeah tbh I knew their President was a nutjob, but was unaware he was a nutjob that his military disagrees with. Mainstream news coverage of Turkey consists exclusively of "Erdogan says something xenophobic and authoritarian, some EU leaders disagree while others try to placate him"., never even mentions anyone internally disagreeing (except the Kurds).
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:31 AM   #36
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Looks like the coup is over. Erdogan wins.

I know a little about Turkey. It's a major ISIS hub and has served as one of the major waypoints into funneling resources in and out of the Islamic State.

Erdogan is pals with Putin, and though he's religious through that association he's definitely against the Islamic State.

But, Erdogan's big claim to power has been his control of the military. In that respect the coup is interesting and seems like an honest-to-god internal power grab and not something like, Islamic State trying to initiate a regime change and overthrow Erdogan.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-16-2016, 02:52 AM   #37
Mercutio
Banned

My Facebook cynicism has been enlightened by some more knowledgeable people, seems like this is a surprise in that as you say the President was seen to have manufactured a strong grip in order to prevent this kind of thing. We'll see how things play out. He may become more repressive.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:38 AM   #38
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Not sure whether this would fall into politics or not but the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (a.k.a. North Korea) has taken the United States of America's sanctioning of Kim Jong Un as a declaration of war.

If this pans out into a full scale war, we're all royally boned, aren't we?

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:51 AM   #39
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

They're just pining for attention.

Jong-un has expressed an interest in lowering tensions with the west (and S. Korea, I think?) and North Korea doesn't really have any friends in the world. Jong-un would be retarded to try something, knowing that China, Russia and the United States would like nothing more than to reduce Best Korea to irradiated topsoil.

Now, apparently this March North Korea finished an ICBM capable of traveling 6,000 miles. The big problem with them in the past was, even if they had some really garbo nukes, they lacked a proper missile to deliver it abroad. A missile traveling to Chicago is unfortunately for them pretty easy to shoot down, so most of their targets will have to focus on the West Coast like Los Angeles, Seattle or San Francisco.

Even then it's unlikely, aircraft carriers patrol the Pacific Ocean and they can intercept a missile very quickly. I'm pretty sure North Korea knows all this and they aren't dumb enough to start a hot war.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-31-2016, 06:07 AM   #40
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I and some friends were discussing what would happen if Pakistan decided to, out of nowhere, fire a full-scale nuclear attack on India. We came to the conclusion that several of the largest Indian cities may well end up destroyed, but Pakistan would literally not exist anymore.

Now turn that disparity up by a million and you get what would happen with a full scale NK-US war.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:00 AM   #41
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Duterte at it again, being compared to Hitler is one thing, comparing yourself to Hitler is something completely different.
Maybe, just maybe, someone should cut out his tongue so he can't talk so much crap anymore... my god, this is wrong on so many levels...
Old 09-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #42
deoxys
Fog Badge

I saw. This guy is an utter lunatic.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #43
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

He's like Lelouch vi Britannia when he became Emperor.

Remember that Duterte is also encouraging people to try and assassinate him.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #44
deoxys
Fog Badge

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...can-go-to-hell

"Duterte seems like what would happen if you put the average YouTube commentor in charge of a country"
Old 10-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #45
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

He's doing great work from an investor POV, though.

Philippines Long Distance Telephone Company is one of the most exploitative in the world, I think. Filipinos call home, and the company sharks them for it. It also sharks investors with an insidiously high 30% tax withholding rate, on top of only a modest 6% dividend yield.

PLDT pays an enormous $2.27 per share annually - not quite up there with Royal Dutch Shell's $2.82, but still big - but because of the tax withholding, and given the comparatively high price of the stock, it sucks compared to alternatives.

But if the price continues to spiral down like it is, that dividend yield will make it worth investing in the company. There are a lot of other problems (low volume, low % institutions held) but to equal a UK ADR, the price needs to be low enough to allow you to have 177% quantity.

In other worlds

100 shares RDS-B / $50 per share ($5000 cost) / $2.82TTM

=

177 shares PHI / $28 per share ($5000 cost) /$2.27 TTM

BASICALLY, we still have a ways to go to reach the price point. But we're well on our way.

Go Go Rodrigo!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-11-2016, 01:17 AM   #46
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
ty deo-senpai

>Escalion

I don't know if the numbers really mean much to me. Even if its effective, its morally abhorrent. I don't know if I can ever agree with it because of that.

There's also other arguments, mainly that it opens up a slippery slope for Duterte to use this kind of power in other regards as well. What he's doing is something that should not be allowed in a civilized world, period.
To not derail the Amercial Politics thread too much I bring this here.

I absolutely agree that the extrajudicial killing, besides unlawful, is morally abhorrent which also goes for the general treatment of some of the drug victims. Many users turn criminal so they're as much part of the problem as they are victims.

The slippery slope though is something I warned my fiancée about too. She and other may think it's all good and well because only the rights of criminals get taken away, but I told her that if they do not fight and push to put a stop to it now, Duterte might see it as a carte blanche to do as he pleases and that there will be no one to left to fight for her if her rights get taken away.

Personally, instead of focusing on the drugs users so much, the majority are just people who need professional help instead of jail, I'd prefer he focuses on fighting Abu Sayaf and some other small Muslim terrorist groups a bit more. Large parts of Mindanao are suffering enough already without having to fear terrorism, kidnappings and death. I know he has intensified the operations against them already, but same as with IS I feel a large scale military operation is the only way the truly eliminate the problem. Especially since political groups exist that fight for the same goal.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:23 PM   #47
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

As bad as our election season is, at least neither Clinton or Trump is controlled by a Shaman.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:10 PM   #48
deoxys
Fog Badge

I was listening to NPR's Marketplace tonight when I heard a story that sounds like way more than a big deal, but has been largely drowned out in the US by the election.

In Surprise Move, India Voids 500 And 1,000 Rupee Bills To Fight Corruption

The reporter described it as a huge gamble in an effort to kill India's vastly large underground black market, and it caught pretty much everyone completely off guard. Now, imagine if America killed the $5 and the $20 bills, leaving only $1 and $10 under $50. This would obviously have a huge impact on our market and the way we exchange currency, but a large amount of America also runs on credit and debit.

In India, from what he described, you have a lot of people who have been saving and sitting on their cash and strictly only use it to buy goods and services. However, take that away, and suddenly you have everyone scrambling, especially those in the lower classes, to get rid of/exchange their now voided money. And from what it sounds like, the citizens have taken a much harder hit so far than the black market has.

I'm curious to know more about how this is affecting the climate over in India right now. Rangeet, what's it like from your perspective?
Old 11-16-2016, 11:29 PM   #49
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I was listening to NPR's Marketplace tonight when I heard a story that sounds like way more than a big deal, but has been largely drowned out in the US by the election.

In Surprise Move, India Voids 500 And 1,000 Rupee Bills To Fight Corruption

The reporter described it as a huge gamble in an effort to kill India's vastly large underground black market, and it caught pretty much everyone completely off guard. Now, imagine if America killed the $5 and the $20 bills, leaving only $1 and $10 under $50. This would obviously have a huge impact on our market and the way we exchange currency, but a large amount of America also runs on credit and debit.

In India, from what he described, you have a lot of people who have been saving and sitting on their cash and strictly only use it to buy goods and services. However, take that away, and suddenly you have everyone scrambling, especially those in the lower classes, to get rid of/exchange their now voided money. And from what it sounds like, the citizens have taken a much harder hit so far than the black market has.

I'm curious to know more about how this is affecting the climate over in India right now. Rangeet, what's it like from your perspective?
Wow, that's pretty wild! Thanks for sharing the news story with us.

"Modi told Indians they will have 50 days to deposit the old bills into bank or post office accounts, and the amount that people could withdraw would initially be limited. Within hours of the announcement, the notes were nearly useless for buying anything."

What does this paragraph mean?
  1. the bills are worthless period, and people have lost out on whatever money they had in those denominations
  2. while no vendors are accepting the bills because lol hassle, the government has given everyone 50 days to drop the bills off at certain places where you can get a credit for them
I'm reading it as B right now, which is not too bad I say as a bank account holder but which I acknowledge could be pretty devastating for any lower-class Indians who, for one reason or another, have all of their money under their bed mattress instead of in a bank account. But if it's A instead of B, well then this is bad news for a lot of people, I should think!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #50
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Probably B. It would be stupid if the government let A happen. Their objective is to get rid of the untraceable dollars that are going into black market hands, so making the bills worthless to the banks is like the real-life equivalent question of RPG dump shops.

This isn't the only news out of India, incidentally. I don't know if you guys know, but India is the #1 market for dual sim phones in the world, because there's a lot of carrier and not a lot of overlap between their domains, so it pays to have a phone that can swap from network to network. This is why the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini variant remains a popular sell on Amazon despite being nearly 3 years old and behind the times in hardware, it's juggles the dual sims well for the economy.

The big news is Vodafone (one of the largest telecoms on Earth) had to write down $5B because of competition. How bad? The T-Mobile of India, Reliance Jio Infocomm, is offering free data plans as a promotion if you switch to them. None of the other carriers dare do something that crazy. So Vodafone took a hit.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate