UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 06-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #2776
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I've never been crazy about Vocaloid singing. Sure, some of the songs like Glow don't sound too awfully bad, but I can't help but think it'd sound much better if an actual person sang it, even Saki herself. The robotic parts of most of the songs just bug the hell out of me.

As a Touhou fan, I like the Vocaloids as characters, since the two go hand-in-hand.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #2777
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Remember when Talon was looking for Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa, but all he could find was Masturbation Master Kurosawa? I had the exact same problem when I was looking for some discussion and reviews of Fukumoto's masterpiece.

So, F it, I'm going to read this crap and see if the masturbation master deserves to steal the strongest man's thunder.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #2778
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
Remember when Talon was looking for Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa, but all he could find was Masturbation Master Kurosawa?
No, I don't! But I just searched for posts I made with that word in it and voilŕ, found the post. "Onani Master Kurosawa", huh? You'll have to let us know how bad it ranks on a scale of 0 (abysmal) to 10 (epic).
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #2779
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I'm with BBB, Vocaloid is cool but I much prefer the actual CVs right now. It would be neat to have fully virtual Idolm@ster idols someday though, but that does raise issues of the place of a CV in an increasingly digital world.

Also, no offense to Miku, but I'm not a Toyota man.

BPK - Onani Master Kurosawa may be acclaimed but I can't get past the first few chapters. The art is so bad, and the plot so ridiculous, and the juxtaposition of it and Catcher in the Rye just drives me crazy. It's like saying Chocolate Rain is a story about racism.

"some stay dry and others feel the pain - CHOCOLATE RAIN!"
"a baby born will die before the sin - CHOCOLATE RAIN!"

It's about racism!

I don't get it!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 06-21-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #2780
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I'm with BBB, Vocaloid is cool but I much prefer the actual CVs right now. It would be neat to have fully virtual Idolm@ster idols someday though, but that does raise issues of the place of a CV in an increasingly digital world.

Also, no offense to Miku, but I'm not a Toyota man.
LOL OMG, WOW. Toyota is the official car of Hatsune Miku, I had no idea.
Is that an American Commercial?!

Edit: It is! Wow. Miku's coming to the USA!!!! And apparently she'll be performing at the 2011 Anime Expo!! How can I get tickets?

Last edited by unownmew; 06-21-2011 at 07:55 PM.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #2781
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yeah.

It's an American Miku, too.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #2782
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Yeah.

It's an American Miku, too.
Ugh... Leave it to Americans to think things require "Americanization" to be a successful marketing tactic. *Gags*
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #2783
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I decided to start watching Mermaid Melody. Unfortunately, I dropped it 10 minutes into the show. It's like a 10 year old directed it. Here's how the first 10 minutes went: "I'm a mermaid who fell in love with this guy several years ago. I met up with him again and he started hitting on me. What a jerk! When he started talking to me again, this other girl took me clothes shopping. I love shopping! I also wrecked the house when cleaning. I'm so clumsy." The events were so jumbled up, that I just couldn't watch anymore. The main girl also has this penguin thing named Rhino. I think he has a crush on the main girl. Oh that pedo rhino!

I started playing a version of Touhoumon I didn't get to play before. This time it's an Emerald hack instead of a Fire Red one. It's pretty tough compared to the others. All the gym leaders I've faced so far have always had full evolution teams before I've had a chance to do the same with mine. They also have their ultimate moves, making the gym leaders a bitch. They're still beatable though.

It's also cool how this version has a jukebox feature, which lets you listen to all the Touhoumon themes. One great thing about Touhoumon has always been how it made every original song into a Pokemon version of a Touhou remix. The gym battle theme is an example.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 AM   #2784
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

After what feels like a month of procrastination, I've finally polished off Demonbane (Leica Route). It was inferior to the Ruri Normal and Al True/Good Ends, but better than Ruri Good. It had the most sympathetic antagonist, as well (Ryuuga).

My opinion of Demonbane hasn't changes since a month ago. The whole Lovecraft mythos seems tacked on and isn't imaginative. Some things are impressive, like the Hunting Horrow being recast as a motorcycle. But other stuff is ripped right from Lovecraft, or conformed to a form that is easily recognizable. Like, the Jabberwock and Cthulhu turn into dragons (technically, just Cthulhu's tentacles). There's also a lot of stupid, lazy writing like this.

"Old Ones architecture is too freakish for humans to understand. We won't even try to explain it! Spirals twisted into straight lines - unbeliveable, right?!"

Finally, I get to delete this. I'm looking at Hourglass of Summer to replace it as I nibble at the G-Senjou side routes. Also, I need to start LOTGH at some point...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #2785
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I finished the HeartCatch PreCure movie. It got off to a really, really, really good start, and stayed strong for 9/10 of the film. It's only been a few weeks but I find myself already nostalgic for the universe and this movie only served to inflame my sense of depravation. But oh, it was so glorious. I would have even rated it higher than the TV series because the villain had characterization - motivations, history and regret. He wasn't the most compelling of villains, but was a 2D character at least, compared to the 1D inexplicable antagonism of the series villain Dune. I would have called this movie a Flawed Masterpiece or full on Masterpiece if it had provided a memorable, fitting ending.

But the last ten minutes were rushed, and weird. Everything was so evenly paced until that ending, which about as much action as the spars earlier in the movie. Now, this is the final fight, I expected a lot more fanfare. On top of that, parts of the fight were ridiculous. I'm almost sure Toei thought, "Let's throw logic and continuity out the window just so we can do cool stuff!" The mascots revealing themselves to the world and the random as heck spirit bomb were really wtf moments for me. Not to mention after the villain is beaten, his status becomes pretty ambiguous. An ambiguous end to a fairly delineated character was not appreciated.

I'm a bit relieved he survived, though. After what happened in Demonbane (a hateful character eventually causing his own ruin) I feared the worst, even though PreCure is a children's show and logic suggests I'm crazy.

Overall, Outstanding, like the series. Had potential to reach greater heights but failed to deliver. Really enjoyable way to kill and hour.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 06-23-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #2786
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Now reading Masturbation Master Kurosawa. Having never read Catcher in the Rye, I can't confirm that it parallels this, but it seems more like a Death Note parody than anything. I CAN see how Chocolate Rain is a song about racism, if I look hard enough.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 06-23-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #2787
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Catcher in the Rye is basically Holden wandering around 1950's New York depressed because everyone he meets is selfish and petty, and he's perpetually lonely because he wants to find a kindred spirit with good qualities, but can't.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #2788
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Kurosawa does regard everyone around him as scum, but he doesn't look depressed or lonely at all. He seems rather pleased with himself actually. Like I said, Light from Death Note is an apt comparison.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 06-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #2789
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

The spirit bomb-like thing in the Heartcatch movie is something that's been used in Precure movies since the Yes! Precure 5 movie. In the theaters, they give the audience a little flashlight thing. So when the Precure need support, they ask everyone in the audience to use their (insert name of the lights here) and help the Precure. It's not as obvious in the Heartcatch movie as it is in the others, but it's there.

Also, Baron Salamander is in the third All Stars movie. I thought the dragon transformation was a bit silly, but it didn't bug me too awfully much.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #2790
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
The spirit bomb-like thing in the Heartcatch movie is something that's been used in Precure movies since the Yes! Precure 5 movie. In the theaters, they give the audience a little flashlight thing. So when the Precure need support, they ask everyone in the audience to use their (insert name of the lights here) and help the Precure. It's not as obvious in the Heartcatch movie as it is in the others, but it's there.
That explains why the mascots looked into the camera and went "We need everyone to help the PreCure"! It's really silly though, and as said earlier that broke the tension of the movie for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Also, Baron Salamander is in the third All Stars movie. I thought the dragon transformation was a bit silly, but it didn't bug me too awfully much.
Nice. I liked the dragon transformation because the "Salamander" is an occult fire lizard monster, and a dragon fit that pretty well. Oh, it's actually a wyvern, not a dragon - Baron Salamander had no forearms in that form, a characteristic of wyverns.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #2791
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Looks like Underwater-Commie has volunteered to sub the Idolmaster anime. That's all well and good, but who's going to sub Usagi Drop? Haven't heard anyone so much as peep about this one yet. Would be a dream come true if Underwater-Commie picked it up. Would settle for Doki. Will cringe but still accept if it's anybody else I've been with this season (gg, Nutbladder). Will second chance UTW if they offer.

And speaking of groups laying dibs on the summer's offerings, how come no one's shown any interest yet in Manyuu Hikenchou? C'mon, guys! It'll be this year's Seikon no Qwaser! You've gotta sub it! For me! Pleaaaaaase?

No, but seriously, I hope a good group offers to pick up Bunny Drop.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #2792
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

My bet's on Doki. I have no evidence.

Looking at my comp for stuff to do until Hourglass of Summer downloads, I started watching Arakawa again. Man, it's really annoying. The art bothers me, and the story is like "...". If I didn't want to get through all of it I might have dropped it by now!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #2793
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holo of Doki Fansubs
Mimi will be translating Usagi Drop, which is the new noitaminA show airing in C’s slot (which aired right before AnoHana). See you then!
Sweet. Mimi is the person responsible for Doki kicking gg's butt in the speed sub wars for AnoHana halfway through the series. (Had she been the project leader from the beginning, I might have remained with Doki!) She seems to be a very cheery cutesy personality, meaning she shouldn't be a raging /b/tard about corrections to the script (unlike gg). And she also seems to do a generally good job from what I have seen, though I still haven't put on my Scrutiny Goggles for her subs yet.

Regardless, this is good news. A, a reliable group is subbing Usagi Drop. B, this particular translator has displayed same-day turnaround for nearly all of her releases on her previous project (AnoHana). C, she has the perfect personality (cute, shy, etc) to complement a cute father/nephew-and-daughter/aunt story.

In other news, Doki's release of AnoHana episode 11 is out. But I'll wait on gg's since they're the ones I ultimately stuck with. ^^;
Old 06-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #2794
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

It seems that Rewrite has released today. While it makes no difference at all to us, I figured I'd mention it. I'll keep my eyes peeled for opinions on it, because while one preview movie looked good, the other made it look like a big joke. I have no idea what to expect, since Rewrite looks like it'll turn out either amazing or awful. The blond girl with the eye patch looks cute atleast.

I'm still waddling along in Touhoumon. It's cool how the developers added the Kanto area to journey around in. You can even explore it a bit early on in the game, though all you can really do is catch the playable characters from UFO.

I figured for my team this time, I'd use some characters I thought was cool, but didn't pour much attention into. So instead of the usual Youmu, Patchy, and Marisa, my team consists of Remi, Yuugi, Byakuren, Sanae, and swimsuit Utsuho.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:13 AM   #2795
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Started on Legend of the Galactic Heroes again. I was only three episodes into it originally, but I still jumped in on episode three. I'll need to rewatch the first two again.

It's easier to process this military story after reading Muv-Luv Alternative. And as a special treat, it seems, for in the third episode -

"Your Excellency, Yang Wen-Li?"
"Yes, I am."
"My name is Meiya."
"Both my husband and son died in battle..."
"...fighting for the Imperial Army."
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #2796
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Finished Masturbation Master Kurosawa. Like DCD, I too was turned off by the art, and flirted with the idea of dropping it after a few chapters. "It's kind of amusing I guess, but ... eh."

BUT NO. I saw flashes of potential, and pressed on ... find out the result in my exciting review of Masturbation Master Kurosawa.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 06-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #2797
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You've got us in suspense.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #2798
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

If BPK actually found it brilliant I might resolve myself to try reading it again. I've tried, and failed, like two times. Third time's the charm?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #2799
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

OH MY GOD!

BBB was telling me a few nights ago about how Hourglass of Summer was sadly a DVD encoded VN, and how that pissed him off to not download a similar game (I think that was Phantom of the Inferno)?

Well, I figured "DVD" meant similar to the game engines of Infinity, but he literally meant clicking around MediaPlayer Classic.

This is HORRIBLE! o_o
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #2800
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You've lost me. We know bbb's fine with playing computer games, and I have a hard time believing he'd refuse to touch one that asked of him to use a mouse on occasion. There has to be more to this that I'm not getting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime