UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #2576
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Spoiler: show
The "yasumi" part is where I'm stumping. Perhaps it's "ya su mi", rearranged to get "su mi ya"?

I can't really place who that's supposed to be. The girl in the photo looks like Haruhi, or her eyes are Haruhi's and she has the same hair, but short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKI.N View Post
You need to add an extra character for it to work.
Quote:
I can't really trust Ito's drawings anymore to place a character with a face, since so much art has been used to trick me recently (like in G-Senjou).
When I first saw the image, I thought for sure it was Kyon's sister. >>;

This whole thing reminds me an awful lot of a fanfic called "The Anagram of Suzumiya Kurimi", where Mikuru and Kyon's sister turn out to be...

Edit- Had a gaming session with everyone in MLU. The person Takeru played with visits his room afterward, and unexpected drama/hilarity ensues. So does this mean focusing on a specific character has a bearing on Unlimited's plot?

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 05-26-2011 at 08:27 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #2577
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

You'd think that I would have caught on sooner since ML has "Suzumiya Akane", but taking out the syllable really did home in on one of my blind-spots, since I'm so used to seeing "Sumika" with that word form. There was also a character called "Someya" in G-Senjou who was screwing with my brain-storm as well.

Like Extra, there are possible (five) routes for the girls in Unlimited. But unlike Extra, all the plot events that one had to go on an individual route to see are present in the main Unlimited time-line, with just the ending and some events different. The actual docking choice is made pretty late in the story (December) but those early choices open up that opportunity. Some of those early events all depend on

Which girl you play the old games with, and who goes to your room. Since you finished Meiya last, I assume Meiya visited Takeru and freaked out over the GameGuy? If you picked someone else, observe which game Takeru gives to the girl from the ones he recieved on his birthday.

Energia Chobits - Mikoto
Radio Broadcast Pro Soccer - Tama
F-01 - Ayamine
Mr. Driller 2 - Chizuru

The Valgernon game I assume was Sumika's.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #2578
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Like Extra, there are possible (five) routes for the girls in Unlimited. But unlike Extra, all the plot events that one had to go on an individual route to see are present in the main Unlimited time-line, with just the ending and some events different. The actual docking choice is made pretty late in the story (December) but those early choices open up that opportunity. Some of those early events all depend on

Which girl you play the old games with, and who goes to your room. Since you finished Meiya last, I assume Meiya visited Takeru and freaked out over the GameGuy? If you picked someone else, observe which game Takeru gives to the girl from the ones he recieved on his birthday.

Energia Chobits - Mikoto
Radio Broadcast Pro Soccer - Tama
F-01 - Ayamine
Mr. Driller 2 - Chizuru

The Valgernon game I assume was Sumika's.
I tried all the girls just to see the results. Looks like Takeru gave Energia Chobits to Ayamine, F-01 to Mikoto, and Mr. Driller 2 to Tama. I'm confused about the soccer one though. I assume he'd give it to Chizuru, but instead Takeru calls the game "Distant Augustan Battles". From his and her descriptions, it sounds like a fantasy RPG.

I did give the Game Guy to Meiya, since she was first.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #2579
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

He avoids giving games that he was given by the respective girl in Extra, but also avoids giving them the game of their counterpart (the girl's "best friend" among the group). You have have noticed this in Extra, but the counteparts are Ayamine-Chizuru and Meiya-Sumika. In Unlimited that extends to Tama-Mikoto.

I think the game you described was the one Meiya gave, and since soccer probably doesn't exist in Unlimited, that might be why he didn't give it to her. I never completed Chizuru's route in Extra or Unlimited so I wasn't aware the game was different...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #2580
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Also, I think that ugly Totoro-like fairy thing is actually the Tuxedo Mask style bishounen dude.
Indeed he is, and I honestly think it's epic. In many (atleast I think) magical girl shows, there's always the mysterious guy who ends up helping the girls when they're in trouble, and they end up as romantic interests for the main girl. In Heartcatch, the same thing apparently happens. This mysterious guy helps the girls when they're in danger, and Tsubomi has a crush on him. However, it turns out that the mysterious guy is the ugly bear-fairy fusion thing in the form of Tsubomi's grandfather. So it basically takes a magical girl cliche and turns it into a sick joke. Though, I feel bad for poor Tsubomi. She was pretty depressed about it. Not only did she fall in love with a bear-fairy thing, but she fell in love with her grandfather.

Speaking of Precure, I watched the latest episode of Suite Precure and one question comes to mind. Who the fuck eats a cupcake with a spoon?! What makes it worse, is that when tasting the cupcakes, they'd take a spoonful of the frosting and say it's delicious. I know it's a kid's show, but it bugs the hell out of me. The girl made the cake, not the frosting, but everyone's complementing the frosting.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #2581
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The End of gg Fansubs?
Oh wow, this is big. lol So ... apparently gg trolled one too many times and have pissed off a lot of people regarding the show Hidan no Aria. While I am not watching this series and so have not been following any of the drama, apparently gg's translation for this program leaves something to be desired. Here are some of the samples the mob have posted from the latest episode:
"We have to our whole life in the shrine spend, even if going out minimum only is permitted." - at around the 9-minute mark

"shirayuki received one may have" - time not specified

"You want your mother, Kanae-san, to save, Durandal word you heard, an enemy like that to exist wanted" - at 6m25s

"that child, japanese representant in sniping for adoshiaado is, because of that busy." - time not specified
Apparently gg has been going about translating Aria like this since Day 1 but only in their latest release did they step things up -- perhaps because they felt their previous level of trolling wasn't netting them the desired rage results from fans? -- and it appears to have spilled over into a declaration of war from the (former) fans to gg. While gg is sure to laugh this off and indirectly say "Fuck you guys, we've always been trolls -- even with our first project, Code Geass, where we intentionally sabotaged the files to make them not play properly in VLC," I don't think they can really afford to laugh this one off: they've caught others in their crosshairs (like me, who goes to gg for AnoHana alone but am now reconsidering that quite strongly) and have possibly ruined their reputation for good.

I'm probably being overly-dramatic about this , but it's still interesting to see such a terribly disrespectful fansub group self-destruct like this.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #2582
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It'll be interesting, if tragic, to see the fans win out. This may sound surprising from someone who doesn't appreciate gg's trolling either, but I saw the same thing happen to One Piece - the rowdy, misbehaving fans who were banished from the "hub" of OP talk that was AP founded their own forums and communities (like on 4chan /a/ and Wikia) and eventually eclipse the original, "gated by netiquitte" communities of AP and KF, ruining the fanbase forever.

Of course, I might be over-dramatic, but I don't think gg will bend to this. Reputation or not, they'll still get thousands of leechers for their releases becuase they're only subbing popular shows. Simply being the fastest is going to be enough for some to snag their releases.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #2583
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Three Kingdoms:
I've prepared three sample videos for you guys to check out. Some irl friends complained to me that the videos I had shown them (of combat scenes) were very unimpressive and killed any interest they might have had in the series. So, since those were the only English subbed scenes available on Youtube at the time, I've gone ahead and (forgive me, JiangHu fansubs!) gone against the fansubber's wishes and uploaded some snippets to Youtube of some of the more emotional scenes. Please check them out if you have the time. Then, if you still don't want to see or hear any more about the show -- if nobody does at all -- then I'll quit bringing it up.

Sample 1: "The Difference between Cao Cao and me"
Liu Bei explains to Zhuge Liang why he won't snatch Jing Province away from Liu Biao ... nor will he even accept it should Liu Biao gift it to him.

Sample 2: "The people may abandon me, but I will never abandon the people"
Emotional scene wherein Liu Bei's group have to evacuate the city of Xinye in preparation for war with Cao Cao's troops. Liu Bei explains to Zhuge Liang that he fights not for land nor for fame but for the people. How can he abandon them now?

Sample 3: "An empire is built upon not the land one holds but the people who support one's cause."
Fleeing Cao Cao's forces, Liu Bei's group is slowed down by the 180,000 peasants following after them. Zhuge Liang advises abandoning the peasants and making haste for Jiangxia fortress, but Liu Bei remonstrates him and explains his imperial philosophy.

Other Anime:
Haven't watched AnoHana still. No word from gg about a v2 so I'll probably go ahead and watch theirs for now ... but they're back on the hot seat with me listening intently for grammatical errors, vocab errors, etc. Too many and I abandon ship. Too few and I'll stay put at least until next week.

Haven't watched Iroha still either. I'm sure it's good, but Three Kingdoms has just been hypnotizing. Absolute opium for the soul. So masterful a tale is it that even a fool can see why this story was passed down for centuries amongst scholars before being turned into a novel 400 years ago -- and why that novel, now 400 years old, remains the single most widely-read Chinese novel in the world. (source: Wikipedia) Amazing story. So bromantic. So tragic. So good.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #2584
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Did you finish Gou Talon, or are you still waiting on new episodes to be subbed?

I myself had a headache all of yesterday (sickness after-effects?) and didn't do much. I watched Steins and it went back to moronic (herp derp, let's try to turn a guy into a girl!) and Ano Hana, which was pretty enlightening.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #2585
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Gou's fansubber has up and vanished. Feel bad for her since she probably feels a guilty obligation to sub the show for the community but no longer wishes to because:
a) let's face it: subbing a taiga drama is hard; and/or
b) let's face it: Gou's not a very good taiga drama

It had potential but the writers clearly decided that the lives of 16th-century court ladies were so boring that Gou (the character) may as well be anachronistically plopped into every single important political scene. The end result is unsatisfying: better dramas have focused on the men while this purportedly female-focused drama is not that at all.

Still, it's better than Tenchijin. So I'd like to see Liubeibei stick with it. Whether she will or not, though, is tough to say.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #2586
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hmm, should I drop it, then? I really liked the first episode...but what you say sounds stupid. I'm not sure if I'm ready for Rot3K though because Koihime Musou was a severe bastardization of the story. At least I'm a bit more familiar with the characters.

Spent most of the day sleeping after work...dunno why I'm so tired, must be the exercise again. Watched some PreCure, now I'm on the student council president episode! From what Erika says, I think Tsubomi is destined to be tragically crushed by shock. I wonder if other PreCures were as tortured as her?

Also, some bad news. Good news is Medaka Box is going to end. Bad news is it's getting an anime by GAINAX. :/

It's Nisio Isin's worst work, and the last story of his to deserve an anime...and it's getting the GAINAX treatment like Shikabane Hime.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #2587
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Regarding Gou, I don't intend to drop it myself just yet so if you've been enjoying it then you needn't either. But if you've only seen the first episode and have minimal investment in the story, then I suppose I'd say you could/should drop it for something better. A new trailer just came out for the series' midway arc and it promises to be a little more interesting since Gou is caught in a love triangle between two suitors -- one is Toyotomi Hideyoshi's son, Hidekatsu, and the other is Tokugawa Ieyasu's son, Hidetada. Going into Gou, one naturally expects the female side of things to have delivered this sort of fun and intriguing romance stuff, so it's about time it's arrived. Things could improve from here. Hard to tell just yet though.

Regarding Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I'd say the single hardest obstacle to jumping into this wonderful story is the large cast of characters with sometimes similar-sounding Chinese names. But I don't think you should let that obstacle get in your way. Looking at the Wikipedia page for Koihime Musou, I don't think it's going to be the most helpful crutch in the world since it's taught you Japanese names and it's not always presented you with the correct leaders co-existing at the same times, but whatever. I think you'd be much better off if you were coming at this from exposure to Dynasty Warriors, so if you've ever been even remotely interested in renting those games for a weekend, now's a great time, wouldn't you say? Rent the games for PS3 or Xbox 360 if you have it (or for PS2 or XBox if you have those but not the newer ones) and find the newest game to go with. (That'd be 7 for the new consoles, 5 or backported-6 for the PS2, and 5 for the XBox.)

But I don't want you to think that those are prerequisites to enjoying this. IMO they certainly have helped, but when I read the first 3/8 of the book back in the summer of 2007, I learned a lot of stories that I'd never known about before because these stories weren't combat-based. They were all political intrigue things. Or combatless adventures (e.g. a guy going into the mountains, getting lost, and meeting someone important for later). These stories are just as important to the overall epic as the combat ones and they feature quite prominently in the 2010 TV adaptation. So while exposure via Dynasty Warriors could certainly help, it isn't entirely necessary. You're still going to be learning a lot of things for the very first time anyway when you watch the show or read the books, and so you may as well just plunge into the show or books now if you're keen to get started.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #2588
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Beat Unlimited. Given Dopple's spazzing, I was expecting some mind-blowing revelation at the last minute. Some of the final scenes certainly raised some questions, though I don't think it left quite as teasing an impression on me. That said, I'm patient enough to once again complete all the paths before charging ahead to Alternative.

Of course, I did fully enjoy Unlimited in its own right. Much more intriguing, emotional, and thought-provoking than Extra - mainly thanks to the background and characterization Extra established.

Thoughts & Speculation:

I'm starting to see what Dopple meant by great voice acting. Emotional scenes aside, I'm really impressed by Tsukuyomi's dramatic yet natural change in tone from Extra to Unlimited. If Marimo's now strict, Tsukuyomi's downright terrifying, just by the subtle alteration in her pitch. Her voice always carries a sense of threat and authority that wasn't present even during her angriest outbursts in Extra. Precisely because she's so composed, anytime she speaks she commands my full attention, since I don't know when she may see fit to vehemently put me in my place.

Also, I wonder if age pulled a KID and gave Sumika and Kasumi the same VAs. That'd be rad.

My guess is the brain belongs to either Sumika's or Takeru's counterpart. Shirogane Takeru is supposedly dead in Unlimited after all. Either way, Kasumi's desperate refusal to let it go would fit with the idea of clinging to the status quo.

By the way, I noticed this from the beginning, but decided not to remark on it until I was sure of the connection to Sumika: Kasumi's rabbit ears outwardly display her emotions much like Sumika's ahoge, don't they?

I currently believe the Alternative plan is an effort to either evacuate humanity to an alternate world, or to lure and trap the BETA there. If earth has no hope of defeating the enemy, the only option is to retreat (as we learned in class lecture). Since it didn't pan out, I guess the last resort was to send as many as possible into space using known limited resources.

I think this in part because I'm somewhat reminded of one of the first manga volumes I ever read from a series called Planet Ladder (a stand-alone story which I still find deeply moving and thematic). Interestingly, the "slider's" name in this case was Takeyoshi, abbreviated as Take. Hu hu, now I'm imagining Takeru as a giant chicken. ...Don't ask.

Unfortunately, I was exposed to a major Alternative spoiler regarding how I assume Takeru was able to "exist" in both worlds:

It stated that while Takeru is Unlimited's world, someone else is in Takeru's body enjoying the carefree life of Extra. I take this to mean something like Remember11's (apparent) situation, where the counterparts' consciousnesses switched places, rather than their entire physical beings. Would this allow "Takeru" to complete the events of Extra, as well as receive knowledge/retain memories of doing so in Unlimited?

While on the subject, I have a question to ask you, Dopple. When Takeru was sleeping in the same room as Chizuru and Ayamine and they were unconsciously fighting on either side of him, did you witness flashbacks to their routes in Extra post-sports festival? When I went back and browsed your posts, the first time you remarked on an odd scene of this nature was following Meiya's cave flashback. Do the former flashbacks only appear if you complete their paths in Extra?

On a random note... OH GOD THOSE BODY SUITS. I kind of knew what to expect after seeing the cover to Alternative (which itself raises some huge questions), but the game art is just... Sorry, Take. I don't know where to look either. ^^;

In other news, I started watching Madoka. Boy, it's trippy. Sadly didn't get to episode 03, which is where the major twists start happening, right? Ah, well. Something to look forward to next weekend.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #2589
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Did you get all five character endings + Yuuko? Yuuko end is particularly important...

Unlimited is a complete, if tragic second chapter to the Muv-Luv trilogy, so if one doesn't know about Alternative it's just a strong, somber ending. I was very disappointed that Takeru made such growth from his Extra self and yet didn't even get a chance at fighting the aliens plaguing the planet. Alternative V also doomed the world, it is worse than our equivalent of "nuclear holocaust" due to Mutually Assured Destruction. In the face of such overwhelming dread, the characters never gave up hope for the future.

Quote:

I'm starting to see what Dopple meant by great voice acting. Emotional scenes aside, I'm really impressed by Tsukuyomi's dramatic yet natural change in tone from Extra to Unlimited. If Marimo's now strict, Tsukuyomi's downright terrifying, just by the subtle alteration in her pitch. Her voice always carries a sense of threat and authority that wasn't present even during her angriest outbursts in Extra. Precisely because she's so composed, anytime she speaks she commands my full attention, since I don't know when she may see fit to vehemently put me in my place.
Tsukuyomi's change was the most dramatic, but I was taken very early on by the subtle differences in Tama and Meiya's speech. Takeru's friends aren't completely different from how they were in Extra, but Tama and Meiya's economical, polite, and sharp speech really reflected how they fit into the group. Mikoto, Chizuru, and Ayamine weren't different from Extra at all. One learns that Tama's insecurity is her marksmanship with an audience, the same problem she had in Extra, and Meiya is isolated by her upbringing. Their speech softens a bit over time, reflecting Takeru's influence on their growth.

Quote:

Also, I wonder if age pulled a KID and gave Sumika and Kasumi the same VAs. That'd be rad.
There is some of that, but I shan't say who.

Quote:

By the way, I noticed this from the beginning, but decided not to remark on it until I was sure of the connection to Sumika: Kasumi's rabbit ears outwardly display her emotions much like Sumika's ahoge, don't they?
Most astute! I didn't even think about it until you brought it up, but that is true, isn't it?

Quote:

I currently believe the Alternative plan is an effort to either evacuate humanity to an alternate world, or to lure and trap the BETA there. If earth has no hope of defeating the enemy, the only option is to retreat (as we learned in class lecture). Since it didn't pan out, I guess the last resort was to send as many as possible into space using known limited resources.

I think this in part because I'm somewhat reminded of one of the first manga volumes I ever read from a series called Planet Ladder (a stand-alone story which I still find deeply moving and thematic). Interestingly, the "slider's" name in this case was Takeyoshi, abbreviated as Take. Hu hu, now I'm imagining Takeru as a giant chicken. ...Don't ask.
Interesting theory, given what you know. It's unfortunate that Yuuko doesn't explain the Alternative Plans until Alternative itself, making it tougher to predict what her Alternative IV is. Even the hilarious spoilers in Extra don't help that much, Alternative IV is the most difficult of the plans to figure out, and you already know what V is.

I will say that Alternative V/Operation Trident doesn't really have a right to be lumped in with the other Alternative Plans, because it's the most different from the others.

Quote:

Unfortunately, I was exposed to a major Alternative spoiler regarding how I assume Takeru was able to "exist" in both worlds:

It stated that while Takeru is Unlimited's world, someone else is in Takeru's body enjoying the carefree life of Extra. I take this to mean something like Remember11's (apparent) situation, where the counterparts' consciousnesses switched places, rather than their entire physical beings. Would this allow "Takeru" to complete the events of Extra, as well as receive knowledge/retain memories of doing so in Unlimited?

While on the subject, I have a question to ask you, Dopple. When Takeru was sleeping in the same room as Chizuru and Ayamine and they were unconsciously fighting on either side of him, did you witness flashbacks to their routes in Extra post-sports festival? When I went back and browsed your posts, the first time you remarked on an odd scene of this nature was following Meiya's cave flashback. Do the former flashbacks only appear if you complete their paths in Extra?
If the first part is the "major" spoiler, I don't think that's right. Or at least, the situation is different from Remember11 in that Takeru's whole being (including his body) traveled through space/time. There isn't another person in his body, or even a substitute taking up his role in Extra - he's completely left that universe. The light novels even say something along the lines of -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neechin
That night, just a little bit of fate, a dash of chance, a smidge of cause and effect happened. No one noticed, well, one person did, but was unable to stop it. When the sun came up the next day,
Takeru woke up alone. Searching for everyone, he goes outside, to find that the world he knew was gone, replaced by the crumbling ruins of a different world…
And yes, you get flashbacks to Extra depending on the routes you took, which is why I encouraged playing all of Extra before going into Unlimited. The same phenomenon happens in Alternative (likewise based on your Extra/Unlimited play) and is very important. Why this occurs is something I'd like you to think about.

Quote:

On a random note... OH GOD THOSE BODY SUITS. I kind of knew what to expect after seeing the cover to Alternative (which itself raises some huge questions), but the game art is just... Sorry, Take. I don't know where to look either. ^^;
The best part is Takeru's suit is normal, so he never had to deal with that kind of embarassment.

That actually becomes an important plot detail in Alternative!

Quote:

In other news, I started watching Madoka. Boy, it's trippy. Sadly didn't get to episode 03, which is where the major twists start happening, right? Ah, well. Something to look forward to next weekend.
I can't remember, I think the craziest stuff happened after Kyouko appeared.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 05-30-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #2590
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Did you get all five character endings + Yuuko? Yuuko end is particularly important...

Unlimited is a complete, if tragic second chapter to the Muv-Luv trilogy, so if one doesn't know about Alternative it's just a strong, somber ending. I was very disappointed that Takeru made such growth from his Extra self and yet didn't even get a chance at fighting the aliens plaguing the planet. Alternative V also doomed the world, it is worse than our equivalent of "nuclear holocaust" due to Mutually Assured Destruction. In the face of such overwhelming dread, the characters never gave up hope for the future.
There's a Yuuko ending? Didn't even know that. I only got Meiya's ending so far.

I was disappointed Unlimited didn't show us any BETA battles as well, so I'm definitely looking forward to kicking some real alien butt in Alternative. I'm already enjoying the practice fights since it's interesting to see how Takeru pilots mechs from a first-person perspective, combining both practicality as well as unrealistic video game/animé experience. Was quite a pleasant surprise to see Takeru successfully put his Valgernon knowledge to use and suddenly rise to to the top of his class. Take that, all!

Quote:
Tsukuyomi's change was the most dramatic, but I was taken very early on by the subtle differences in Tama and Meiya's speech. Takeru's friends aren't completely different from how they were in Extra, but Tama and Meiya's economical, polite, and sharp speech really reflected how they fit into the group. Mikoto, Chizuru, and Ayamine weren't different from Extra at all. One learns that Tama's insecurity is her marksmanship with an audience, the same problem she had in Extra, and Meiya is isolated by her upbringing. Their speech softens a bit over time, reflecting Takeru's influence on their growth.
One thing that's kinda starting to get on my nerves is Meiya's constant sighing, which I noticed in Extra as well. Speak up, woman! If you've got something to say to me then say it. >_>; Otherwise it's okay to just be silent sometimes.

Quote:
Interesting theory, given what you know. It's unfortunate that Yuuko doesn't explain the Alternative Plans until Alternative itself, making it tougher to predict what her Alternative IV is. Even the hilarious spoilers in Extra don't help that much, Alternative IV is the most difficult of the plans to figure out, and you already know what V is.

I will say that Alternative V/Operation Trident doesn't really have a right to be lumped in with the other Alternative Plans, because it's the most different from the others.
Since Kasumi seems to be deeply involved in the Alternative plan, and you theorized earlier that she had telepathy, I wonder if her role is to somehow make contact with other worlds?

Quote:
If the first part is the "major" spoiler, I don't think that's right. Or at least, the situation is different from Remember11 in that Takeru's whole being (including his body) traveled through space/time. There isn't another person in his body, or even a substitute taking up his role in Extra - he's completely left that universe.
Really? I just accidentally browsed it on Google search, didn't dare check the source for fear of more spoilers. So I'm still in the clear? Phew, that's a relief.

Quote:
And yes, you get flashbacks to Extra depending on the routes you took, which is why I encouraged playing all of Extra before going into Unlimited. The same phenomenon happens in Alternative (likewise based on your Extra/Unlimited play) and is very important. Why this occurs is something I'd like you to think about.
So does Alternative link up to Muv-Luv? Does that mean I have to install both games?

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 05-30-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #2591
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:

There's a Yuuko ending? Didn't even know that. I only got Meiya's ending so far.

I was disappointed Unlimited didn't show us any BETA battles as well, so I'm definitely looking forward to kicking some real alien butt in Alternative. I'm already enjoying the practice fights since it's interesting to see how Takeru pilots mechs from a first-person perspective, combining both practicality as well as unrealistic video game/animé experience. Was quite a pleasant surprise to see Takeru successfully put his Valgernon knowledge to use and suddenly rise to to the top of his class. Take that, all!

The other endings give you some more background into the other girls and some insight into "The Day After", which is what post-Alternative works refer to Unlimited following Alternative V's "G-Day" as it were. However, the endings (both the "normal" ending where Takeru and the heroine stay, or the "good" ending where the heroine goes into space) are basically the same, save those few background details. But they're important to look through at least, for reasons I can't say just yet.

Yuuko's ending can be triggered on your second playthrough only (there is a reason for this!) when Takeru is about to leave her after she's drunk herself silly. Most of the important information in Unlimited is just casually thrown out, sort of like in the four regular routes of Ever17. Unlimited plays the reader because the reader assumes Unlimited is too different from Extra or the real world, which leads them to not question certain oddities or inconsistencies. Like, why is Marimo, a Sergeant (an enlisted rank) teaching Eishi cadets how to pilot TSFs? Those guards at the front gate are enlisted too, enlisted don't know how to pilot TSFs, while Marimo knows how to. At that, she's promoted to Major after she leaves Yokohama. That's something like a full 9 ranks, from enlisted to officer...no matter what military, that is very unusual. And you know Marimo knew something about Alternative IV.

It's also strange that Brigadier General Radhabinod (the Yokohama Base CO) would address mere cadets in person to tell them about Alternative V.

On Takeru's piloting...that was a fantastic moment. The guy who had to be helped in Extra and most of Unlimited finally got the chance to take charge and be a leader. This was inflamed by Takeru being all "GIANT ROBOTS...FUDGE YEAH!" for most of Unlimited and meeting his own hype.

Not seeing the BETA is indeed a disappointment, but holding them back for Alternative was by design. They're every bit as intimidating as Yuuko says, and they make a huge impact on the reader when they do appear. Hearing about the Laser class nullifying aircraft in lecture, for example, isn't nearly as terrifying as seeing TSFs getting vaporized (alongside the Eishi's horrific screams) because they boost jumped a bit too high in the wrong place.

Quote:

One thing that's kinda starting to get on my nerves is Meiya's constant sighing, which I noticed in Extra as well. Speak up, woman! If you've got something to say to me then say it. >_>; Otherwise it's okay to just be silent sometimes.
Well, you know what Meiya would say.

【Meiya】 「Yurusu ga yoi, Yuki.」

I think she lets up in Alternative a bit, but she has a lot more to sigh about, so no promises.

Quote:

Since Kasumi seems to be deeply involved in the Alternative plan, and you theorized earlier that she had telepathy, I wonder if her role is to somehow make contact with other worlds?
Good, good!

Quote:

So does Alternative link up to Muv-Luv? Does that mean I have to install both games?
It was originally intended to, but Alternative's function to read Extra/Unlimited saves is screwed up so it just defaults to the maximum number of flashbacks. At the bare minimum, I'd replay Unlimited for Yuuko's end, but it was intended to be replayed multiple times for all the girl's ends.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #2592
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
After a short break from watching Anime, I'm back, also reading more manga too.

Still watching Astarotte no Omocha, but as I finished as far as the manga reached before the show, it's clear they're not going to be able to follow it closely in the Anime.

Also started reading the Blood+ manga.

Stumbled upon another manga called Dance in the Vampire Bund. The main character is a teenaged werewolf who is servant to the loli Queen of Vampires. Typical tsundere loli, but very responsible and knowledgeable.
There's quite a bit of blood and nudity in this manga though, as well as some rather violent and explicit vampire attack/death scenes. The Queen herself has no qualms with being nude (or almost nude) herself, neither in her loli form, nor in her very grown up, mature, and very busty succubus-like "true form". They only thing they don't show is lower body nudity, and the only loli is the queen, all the other females are quite busty. There's also a tad bit of BL allusions and furries. >_> I wonder if the author is female...

Also started watching Ano Hana.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #2593
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

He's male. Vampire Bund is Talon's worst nightmare - the most gratuitous loli fanservice I've ever seen in an anime, enough to make Kodomo no Jikan look like Thomas the Tank Engine (no joke). I've seen hentai that less blatantly lolicon than VB's anime, it was *strong* stuff.

And if the loli wasn't enough, Mina often fantasizes about sex with Akira...when he's in his werewolf form. I'm still patting myself on the back for getting through VB, especially when it was that anime that rejuvenated my ability to focus on an anime and finish it.

Trivia Tip = Mina's CV is the same as Madoka's. She's very young, and graduated high school only last year.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #2594
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
He's male. Vampire Bund is Talon's worst nightmare - the most gratuitous loli fanservice I've ever seen in an anime, enough to make Kodomo no Jikan look like Thomas the Tank Engine (no joke). I've seen hentai that less blatantly lolicon than VB's anime, it was *strong* stuff.

And if the loli wasn't enough, Mina often fantasizes about sex with Akira...when he's in his werewolf form. I'm still patting myself on the back for getting through VB, especially when it was that anime that rejuvenated my ability to focus on an anime and finish it.

Trivia Tip = Mina's CV is the same as Madoka's. She's very young, and graduated high school only last year.
I guess I should have mentioned the werewolf's gender. ^^; And yes I must agree it's probably Talon's worst nightmare.

But wait, there's an Anime for it? I was just reading the Manga, and the manga isn't even complete.. (or at least the site I was using had no more translated portions of the manga up and the series was definitely not over.)

Some of the things you mention though are definitely not in the manga I'm reading.. (such as Mina imagining sex with Akira in werewolf form)
Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #2595
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

All things considered, the anime was reasonably entertaining. It just has too much focus on Akira's eye.

I know the author is male because he appeared in the first episode to talk about how vampires aren't real.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 05-30-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #2596
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
All things considered, the anime was reasonably entertaining. It just too much focus on Akira's eye.

I know the author is male because he appeared in the first episode to talk about how vampires aren't real.
Too much focus on Akira's eye? What do you mean by that?

The author of the manga appears in the first episode of the anime to talk about how vampires aren't real? Seriously? That's pretty lol-worthy, I'd expect that to be common knowledge.

But if the author of the manga is male, he's got to have some strange fetishes...
Either that or he knows how to think like a girl, and wrote it for a primarily female audience, IMO, the male character designs seem to be too "Fine" to be geared towards a heterosexual male audience, couple that with the BL allusions and some cute furry male characters in some flashback scenes, and...
Old 05-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #2597
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Here's a "loli" that jerking off to would not make someone think you are a pedophile. That is to say, she's a minor, probably 14-15 years old, and is realistically if generously proportioned. (Work-safe, home-safe, in front of anyone safe to click on.)

Here's a loli that jerking off to would make someone think that you are in fact a pedophile. (Safe in so far as it's not illegal. I wouldn't want to click on it in front of others. )

See the difference? And no: it's not just the boobs. One looks like "a young maiden," i.e. a pre-woman. The other looks like "a small child," i.e. a pre-schooler.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #2598
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Here's a "loli" that jerking off to would not make someone think you are a pedophile. That is to say, she's a minor, probably 14-15 years old, and is realistically if generously proportioned. (Work-safe, home-safe, in front of anyone safe to click on.)

Here's a loli that jerking off to would make someone think that you are in fact a pedophile. (Safe in so far as it's not illegal. I wouldn't want to click on it in front of others. )

See the difference? And no: it's not just the boobs. One looks like "a young maiden," i.e. a pre-woman. The other looks like "a small child," i.e. a pre-schooler.
And what if I would prefer the "young maiden" look with a relatively flat chest (but not boy-chested-flat)?

There's also the art style you have to take into account, you can take that cutesy "pedophile" image, and make even an adult look rather loli in that style. If that loli girl had some large bust, but everything else the same, would you still call her a loli?

On the other hand, you can also make a young child look older in that other style.

It's not just the "loli", I just do not like large, and can not stand, unrealistically proportioned breasts, such as that "young maiden" has. Drop her by, at least one size, preferably two, and then I'd consider her fair to look upon.

Just out of curiosity, and since it's slightly related, what are your opinions on "Chibi"? Is that loli also, even when depicting an adult?

Last edited by unownmew; 05-30-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #2599
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Whether a chibi is loli or not depends entirely upon whether its character source is loli or not. Non-loli character source means the chibi is not loli. Loli character source means it is. That's pretty much all there is to it. It's a deformation art. I can provide some chibi non-lolis easily. Hell, here's a Before-and-After chibification from the same exact doujin.

Too lazy to upload anything else, so you'll have to settle for things I've uploaded in the past:
Kiss x Sis chibis vs. Kiss x Sis defaults (non-chibis)
chibi sample from an adorable adult eromanga

But in case you're doubting my stores of non-loli chibis, trust me: I've got at least four more Nekomataya doujinshi of Azusa where that one sample came from, each of which has a chibi version of her on Page 003. And that's just one specific author I knew I could count on for PhotoBucket ToS purposes.

As for the "young maiden" preference professing ... I'd like to believe you, but I think your definition of "young maiden" and mine differ drastically given that you seem to like to rob from the cradle. This is an example of a flat-chested young maiden. This is what it seems to me you'd have us believe is a flat-chested young maiden -- but imma tell you "NO", this is a girl, not a pre-woman (i.e. "young maiden"). And finally this is what you strike me as jerking off to given the posts you've made in the last few months. Sorry if I've gotten the wrong impression of you! But you may as well try and clear up any possible confusion now: because this opinion didn't just come out of thin air. It came out of you gushing about the Wanko game, Loli Astarotte, Vampire Bund just now, as well as others that title-specifically are slipping my mind though certainly were I to go back through your posts I'm sure I could find them. EDIT: Titles which don't just feature lolis in main roles but which patently sexualize them too. Basically "anime child pornography" and not just "anime girls being cute and maybe a guy is crushing on them."

And I will probably start referring to Loli Astarotte as Loli Astarotte since it seems she's usurped the real Astarotte on the English-speaking net. Though as you can see, searching for Astarotte by name in Google in Japanese still reveals the true queen of the night.

Last edited by Talon87; 05-30-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #2600
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I'm going to have to say I don't know how ok it is to have a discussion on what loli to wank to on a Pokemon forum. I mean.. I know we've had some crazy stuff here before, and we generally tend to be way more mature than other forums but like.. I don't know if it is appropriate. Well at the very least, it is not appropriate in this thread. Will that discussion be better in a separate thread, I don't know. But I've had a few complaints about this and I don't know how else to say it. Maybe I'll make an H-Sub forum or something.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime