UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 12-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

UPN Answerman Session #6: What Distracts You The Most?

Today's question: What's the ONE thing that ALWAYS pulls you out of the story and distracts you if it's done wrong? Is it bad art, bad writing, bad voices, bad music, bad characters, and so forth?

================================================
Previous threads:
UPN Answerman Session #1: Most Deserved Sequel?
UPN Answerman Session #2: Most Disappointing Ending?
UPN Answerman Session #3: When Do You Drop?
UPN Answerman Session #4: Your Dream Job in the Anime Industry?
UPN Answerman Session #5: Good Dub, Bad Dub?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

My pet peeve is bad writing, but that's not the biggest distraction for me.

For me, the biggest distraction in any anime is bad or unusual art. Anime is a visual medium, and so visual errors or oddities are the first thing we see and, for me, they're often the most distracting.

For example, if a dog is walking down the street in one scene and I notice that all of a sudden he quickly changes coat colors? That distracts me. So badly, I'll miss the next 30 seconds if I don't immediately reach for the remote and pause the episode.

For another example, if an anime has a very weird character design like Akagi or Kaiji did, it'll take me a while to get used to it. By the end of the series I'll be fine, but early on I'll admit that I'll be distracted away from the story if all of a sudden they show Kaiji from straight ahead and his once-ginormous triangular nose now appears to be a thin, tall rectangle.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

There's a difference between an odd art style and bad art.

I remember watching the first episode of the Negima TV series. Oh man did it piss me off. That was one of the series I consider to have a major distraction from bad art. It wasn't the shape of the character's heads or the odd proportions. It was the absolute lack of understanding of PERSPECTIVE.

I remember there was a scene where Asuna is running from the foreground into the background and instead of drawing, they just have a simple animation of her running and shrinking as she goes back. It was like they couldn't even bother drawing a few extra frames.

THIS DISTRACTS ME.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I can stand bad art. Hell, one of my all time favorite titles has god awful art. I also got used to the Higurashi visual novel instantly, so I'm not too particular about art.

As a comedy fan, there's three things that would ruin a title for me, no matter how good the show is. I also kinda ranted about these in a recent post, and many before that, so what I'm saying is nothing new. I guess I'll post them here again until another show uses these and pisses me off.

1) Repetition in jokes. I understand a gag that's used every now and then. However, blatantly using it over and over again will kill even the funniest jokes, and just make them annoying. Using a bad joke repeatedly is downright unforgivable.

2) Unoriginal or cliche jokes. I guess you could say this is almost the same thing as the first one, but there's a slight difference. This also isn't as bad as the first, since an unoriginal joke can simply be passed as unfunny and that'd be the end of it. However, there's some titles that thrive on jokes that have been used many times before. It'd be like seeing Carlos Mencia's standup, then after that, you see another dick wad making retard noises and acting like he's big shit, then you're 5x as pissed off as you were when you watched Mencia. It's a terrible example, but I just wanted to call someone a dick wad.

3) Hyperactivity in jokes. This is more of a double-edged sword than a problem. Seto no Hanayome is a perfect example for this. All of its jokes are hyperactive. Some of them are annoying as hell, yet some of them are hilarious. Hyperactivity tends to be used in slapstick jokes, so it's difficult to tell when it'd be funny or annoying. I'd say they're annoying when you mix in the hyperactivity with either #1 or #2 of what I talked about. From my observations, alot of shows resort to hyperactivity when their jokes just aren't funny, but they try to make them funny by speeding everything up, having the characters make wacky voices, and making wacky sounds. It's not funny, it's obnoxious. It's also a slap in the face of comedy. Speaking of which, Dane Cook can choke on a dick and die.

Another thing that distracts me is awkward or weird sounding voice acting. Yuzuyu's voice in Ashiteruze Baby almost ruined the show for me. Ushio's in Clannad Afterstory bugged me alot too.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 12-14-2010 at 01:01 AM.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
This isn't very descriptive, but anything that "stands out" from the feel of the show becomes a distraction to me. Take Index and its running gag of Touma seeing people naked. I get the irony in that he's an extremely unlucky person who (luckily!) happens to see a lot of undressed female, but the jokes don't mesh with most of the stories. One minute it's serious plot, the next it's TOUMAAAA OM NOM NOM FUKODA.

Bad art happens, but if the story is equally poor, it doesn't bother me as much. It might even add to the effect. Musashi Gundoh, anyone?

Higurashi is a no though. The bad art just ruined everything.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime