UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 10-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #101
Sneaze
Mrow?

Oh, yeah, almost forgot that they do own the rights to some non-mutants, too, for obvious reasons.

Drake Family (Steven, Madeline, Ronny), Grey Family (Dr. John, Elaine), Henry Peter Gyrich, Robert Edward Kelly, Dr. Moira Kinross MacTaggert, Dr. Kavita Rao, William Stryker, Bolivar Trask, Warren Worthington II

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #102
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That sucks, PikaGod. :\ I actually like Ryan Reynolds (at least in the few films I've seen him in, e.g. The Proposal alongside Sandra "Best MILF Ever" Bullock). I really wanted him to prove the haters wrong and do well as the Green Lantern but the early reviews gave me the impression that that sure didn't happen. Now you guys tell me he's played Deadpool already and I'm thinkin', "Okay. Maybe he's a much better fit for Deadpool. Maybe he proved to the haters he can actually act here." Noooooope.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #103
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

The problem with Deadpool was that instead of having a wise ass joke cracking anti fero, they made Deadpool completely silent. Reynolds isn't a bad actor or anything, but the scripts for the Green Lantern and Origins were so bad, and nothing could have made the performances reaaly good.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #104
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I also think Ryan Reynolds is great (and love the The Proposal GET OUT OF MY HEAD TALON), and thought he did a brilliant job at the start of Wolverine for that one scene he's in for 10 minutes. When he shows up later as 'Deadpool', not so much.

But he's in for a reboot that promises much gore and fourth-wall breaking. Hopefully it'll do the trick.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #105
Mercutio
Banned

What do people think of the lime up for Amazing Spiderman 2?
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #106
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Can't go wrong with Emma Stone, even if she'll probably die in this one, or soon, anyway.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #107
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Of course, just as the new Thor comes out...

BORKED
Old 11-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #108
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not trying to be "that guy", but only stating this because of the previous laughter that was had over the UK's access to Thor 2 vs. the United States':

That trailer is weeks old. As in, I remember seeing that trending on YouTube one to two weeks ago. Is it seriously only just now coming up in the UK? We get the trailers early, you get the films early? ;P
Old 11-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #109
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

I dunno, video's dated October 24th. I only saw it today because I was reading an article on the projected future of the MCU. I don't tend to go looking for them off my own back.

Also bringing back the whole 'X-Men in MCU' topic, I read that while Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are to be in the next Avengers film, due to the rights issues they can't make any mention of Magneto or the term 'Mutants'. Ha.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #110
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Netmago and the Aberrants.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #111
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2zYHWDZKo
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #112
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

That film looks like one gigantic headfuck.

I really need to get around to watching First Class.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #113
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah no Dave is just slow on the uptake, I saw that weeks ago. Winter Soldier looks ok, X Men sort of doesn't but I liked First Class despite its retcons so I'm up for it.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #114
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Eh, I just figured that once someone saw the trailer they might either post it or make people aware of it in a thread designated for Superheroes on a forum they frequent.

Oh, wait.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #115
Mercutio
Banned

Old 11-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #116
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
First ...

(Spoilers for the third X-Men film, X-Men: The Last Stand)

Spoiler: show
I don't understand why they went for a script in which Charles Xavier looks like Patrick Stewart right from the get go. Given how the third film ended, and given that this film wants to be about a "Let's change the present by changing the past!" reboot by the end of which 90% of the characters from the original trilogy will emerge untouched but 10% will emerge different or not emerge at all, I really don't understand why they opted to write it such that Patrick Stewart Xavier is the one wheeling down the hall in his wheelchair, palling up with an aging Logan and Magneto, and sending Logan on a mission to help persuade his and Magneto's younger selves to take a different turn through history. Wouldn't it have made more sense to have a completely new actor cover the pre-altering history scenes -- given how the third film ended -- and to then have Patrick Stewart cameo in at the very end of the film when it's revealed that the future which Logan helped to create has given us back Patrick Stewart Xavier?

Second, good lord at how aged the men all look. I'm particularly surprised by Hugh Jackman. It doesn't make sense for the Logan character to look so aged by this point, so I can only assume that either Hollywood doesn't understand this and they made up Jackman to look ten years older than he really looks right now ... or else this is how he looks right now without make up and good God is that too old to be playing Wolverine any more. Sirs Stewart and McKellen aren't looking too hot either -- their age is really allowed to shine through here in this picture, which while it helps to portray how haggard the defeated mutant leaders are it sure does contrast sharply with the smooth-skinned images we have of Professor X and Magneto from the comics -- but it's Jackman's jowls which are really stealing the spotlight for the worse here. Sure do hope he doesn't look that aged throughout the entire picture. Not if at some point he's supposed to go back to looking like how Wolverine would've looked when Xavier was still a young man in his 20s.

Third, not gonna lie: kinda disappointed to see that they brought back the actors I would've rather seen gone (Halle Berry as Storm, Anna Paquin as Rogue) while ditching the actors I would've loved to have seen again (Kelsey Grammar as the Beast). I guess this Hoult guy I've never heard of before is the one who played the younger Beast in X-Men: First Class?

Speaking of which, does that mean that this new film, Days of Future Past, is going to bridge the two narrative arcs? I had thought that Fox wanted to distance itself from the first three X-Men films and that First Class was intended as something of a reboot prequel. Is that not the case? Does nothing in First Class contradict details in the first three X-Men films?

Fifth ... (mild spoiler; only a spoiler if you're the sort who hates knowing what parts of an adaptation are different from the source material before you have a chance to watch the adaptation)

... apparently the film is based on a beloved comic in the X-Men comic series ... but in the original comic, the protagonist was Kitty Pryde, not Wolverine. Is the film changing this because of Fox's conviction that you can't sell X-Men to the American public without Wolverine? Or did Wolverine take on a leading role in the original comic too?

I can't put my finger on it, but something about the film continues to scream "Fox's X-Men movies just don't look as good as Marvel-Disney's superhero films." I think it's the plethora of B-list faces that I see whenever they show me a bunch of background mutants. Part of the problem with X-Men is that its expanded cast is so friggin' huge that the studios can't afford to cast a Chris Hemsworth or a Ryan Reynolds in eeeeeeeeeevery siiiiiiiiingle roooooole. It would cost them hundreds of millions of dollars to do something like that. The only way it'd be possible would be if the actors would, out of the kindness of their own hearts, volunteer to show up for one to two days of shooting free of charge. And there's no way that that would ever happen. So yeah, you see Hugh Jackman, you see Patrick Stewart, and then all of a sudden you see some nameless black dude as Bishop and some Joseph Gordon Levitt wanna-be as a mutant I don't even recognize (0m40s) ... and even with the bigger names, like Halle Berry, for example ... the way they hold themselves just doesn't seem in character. It seems like some ordinary woman trying to act and not being given proper direction on how to modify how she's acting so that she looks more like how her character would look. How much of that is the diva's fault and how much of it is Singer's, I have no idea, but this wasn't something I noticed in The Avengers, for all that I may have found that film to be underwhelming.

With this lovely list of complaints and concerns aside , I'm honestly looking forward to this film. It might be the first X-Men film I'll have seen since 2006's X-Men 3. Never got around to watching First Class or the various Wolverine cash-ins. But this one ... this one could be good, if it's done right.

If nothing else, I can count on this film for one thing:

Bringing us back Cyclops, thank God. -_-; It's about fucking time Fox rebooted his being written out of the series.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #117
Mercutio
Banned

On the whole using a different actor than Stewart until the very end thing, they'd never go for that. Makes no sense. The whole point of this film is to make a large amount of extra capital on the fact that it has all these actors in it. Not using him would mitigate that a lot.

I'd advise you to see First Class; it's pretty good. Definitely much better than Last Stand. You have to be prepared to accept certain retcons and continuity changes/errors and it's very rushed, but on the whole it's worth it.

Origins: Wolverine... not so much. They retcon Sabretooth and, while it's still not quite right, it's much better than Triple H doing it, but that's about all it really has going for it.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #118
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
First ...

I don't understand why they went for a script in which Charles Xavier looks like Patrick Stewart right from the get go. Given how the third film ended, and given that this film wants to be about a "Let's change the present by changing the past!" reboot by the end of which 90% of the characters from the original trilogy will emerge untouched but 10% will emerge different or not emerge at all, I really don't understand why they opted to write it such that Patrick Stewart Xavier is the one wheeling down the hall in his wheelchair, palling up with an aging Logan and Magneto, and sending Logan on a mission to help persuade his and Magneto's younger selves to take a different turn through history. Wouldn't it have made more sense to have a completely new actor cover the pre-altering history scenes -- given how the third film ended -- and to then have Patrick Stewart cameo in at the very end of the film when it's revealed that the future which Logan helped to create has given us back Patrick Stewart Xavier?
Slight spoilers for the new Wolverine movie:
Probably the big reason that its Patrick Stewart again is that the future universe is the result of the first trilogy's world, as it was shown that Xavier was alive at the end of The Wolverine

Quote:
Speaking of which, does that mean that this new film, Days of Future Past, is going to bridge the two narrative arcs? I had thought that Fox wanted to distance itself from the first three X-Men films and that First Class was intended as something of a reboot prequel. Is that not the case? Does nothing in First Class contradict details in the first three X-Men films?
First thing, the X-Men thrive on time travel being used, liked seriously its the reason why there are like 5 different people who are the descendents of Jean Grey and Cyclops, despite them never actually having kids, though he did have a child with Jean Grey's clone. Secondly, spoilers for First Class
At the end of First Class, Xavier is crippled and Magento and Xavier go their separate ways. I guess they could reconcile later on and then join forces together, but at the moment there is no direct contradictions.

Fifth ... (mild spoiler; only a spoiler if you're the sort who hates knowing what parts of an adaptation are different from the source material before you have a chance to watch the adaptation)

Quote:
... apparently the film is based on a beloved comic in the X-Men comic series ... but in the original comic, the protagonist was Kitty Pryde, not Wolverine. Is the film changing this because of Fox's conviction that you can't sell X-Men to the American public without Wolverine? Or did Wolverine take on a leading role in the original comic too?
Wolverine dies pretty quickly in the Future timeline in the comics, don't really remember too much about the present day Wolverine. Pretty much the entrie reason that Wolverine is now being sent back in time is that he is immensely popular, whereas Kitty is not as popular in regards to movies.

Quote:
With this lovely list of complaints and concerns aside , I'm honestly looking forward to this film. It might be the first X-Men film I'll have seen since 2006's X-Men 3. Never got around to watching First Class or the various Wolverine cash-ins. But this one ... this one could be good, if it's done right.
You probably should go and watch First Class, considering that the last movie you watched was probably the worst movie out of the entire franchise.

Quote:
If nothing else, I can count on this film for one thing:

Bringing us back Cyclops, thank God. -_-; It's about fucking time Fox rebooted his being written out of the series.
Where did you get this idea from? I'm assuming that you just mean that if the future gets changed, Cyclops can come back?

Also inregards to the new movie, I am seriously excited to see Blink, Sunspot, and Warpath coming to the movie universe.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #119
Talon87
時の彼方へ

>dodges spoiler for First Class
>sees response to his mild spoiler on the comic
>expands it
>HUGE FUCKING SPOILER FOR THE COMIC

Though probably not for the film. (I quit reading it the moment I got spoiled, but you're probably good, dude. I don't read X-Men comics so spoiling them isn't a big deal so long as it's not also spoiling the films.)

And to answer your last question, you nailed it. (Response contains spoiler for X-Men 3.)

I'm not saying that we're guaranteed to get Cyclops back because Fox said so. I'm saying that:
  1. making the future 90% like the one we already knew but 10% different enables Fox to say "and included in that 10% of differences is the fact that Scott Summers is alive again! "
  2. given #1, we're like 99.999999% certain to get him back since so much of the franchise revolves around the rivalry of Scott Summers and Logan. It would be kind of crazy of Fox to try and press forward with more "based on the comics" scripts in a cinematic universe devoid of Cyclops.
To say nothing of the fact that, at least in the 1990s and 2000s, he's an interesting character. A hell of a lot more interesting than many of the other characters they keep bringing back.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #120
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I still haven't seen X2 or X-men: Last Stand, so I'm avoiding those spoilers.

Saw First Class and it was excellent, which is why I'm pumped for Days of Future Past! It's a sequel to both First Class and Last Stand.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #121
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'll put it to you this way: if X2 and X-Men 3 were available to watch for free, in full, on a streaming site like YouTube ... I still don't think I'd bother watching them any time soon. Certainly not this weekend. First Stand, absolutely I'd check it out if it was on YouTube. Iron Man 1 and 2, likewise. (Note: I haven't seen any of these three films still.) But X2 and X-Men 3 ... once was enough for a long, long time. ^^;

Doesn't mean you shouldn't see 'em yourself though, just to get 'em out of the way and not have to worry about being spoilered on anything. (Though really, if you did allow us to spoiler you on them / if you took to Wikipedia and read the films' synopses, you'd pretty much have zero reason to ever watch them. )

Putting it to you another way ... I'd rather watch The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones again before watching X2 again.

Amras: Gee. Great. -_-;
Old 11-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #122
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

See I think that X2 is tied with the First Class as being the best of the series and have no problems watching it again, though I could care less about Star Wars. I do agree with you about X3 though, dear god that movie was just so absolutley horrible in like every way other than having Ellen Page as Kitty Pryde.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #123
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Chris Evans <3

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #124
Mercutio
Banned

I'm not sure if the fact that I don't in any way remember what happens in X2 is a statement for or against Talon's assessment... X3 is fairly pants, though. Still better than Origins: Wolverine. I mentioned in another thread that i saw The Wolverine recently... it's not a terrible film.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #125
Talon87
時の彼方へ

X2 has these four things going against it for me:

First up is Stryker, who is without a doubt my least favorite antagonist I've seen in an X-Men film. I hate just about everything about this guy. Having a non-mutant be the X-Men's big nemesis can work well if done right. (See: the early half of The Legend of Korra Book 1.) But with Stryker, I feel it was anything but done right. He seemed like some jackass half-bureaucrat half-general who couldn't possibly compare in fans' minds with the likes of the Phoenix, Apocalypse, Magneto, and so on. While a good script can make lesser villains into greater ones, this script did not do that.

Second we have Jason, a.k.a. Mutant 143, Stryker's mutant son. I'm just going to throw it out there: the Jason character disturbs me. I don't mean in a "Whoa, that's so fucked up! *nom nom nom the popcorn*" way. I mean that even thinking about this character makes me sick to my stomach and not at all admiring the concept behind him. You have a kid who abuses his mutant powers by fucking with his parents. Okay, that's bad. Then you have a kid whose abuse of his parents drove his mother to actually commit suicide. Okay, that's really bad. But then you have the dad ... lobotomizing his own son ... and turning the boy into a mental retard. That's horrifying and sickening. Lobotomization just really bothers me. I've seen it come up a couple of times in films over the years and every time it just really, really ruins the show for me. It's just way too dark and every single time I see those characters I feel like it's the mental equivalent of gouging someone's eyes out or cutting out their tongue. Those things can't even compare, even. It's those times like ten. It's awful.

But it's not like Jason's lobotomization is the only thing that I hate about him. I also hate the plot premise behind him. Stryker's master plan is to take secretions from his son's brain and use them to ... what!? I'll stop there. This is so sick and so messed up that I swear it must have come from some sick fucko's fanfic. Not even the original comics had this story! (In the comics, Stryker murders his wife and son soon after she delivers the baby. There is no living Jason in the comics. Just the spectre of a mutant son which haunts Stryker's memories.) Even worse than the sick methodology of the villain is the retarded potency of the villain's plan: we're asked to believe that a lobotomized child whose training under Xavier was incomplete is somehow able to turn the most powerful telepath ever (Jean Grey excepted, yadda yadda yadda) into a blubbering idiot who is at the total mercy of Stryker. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidiculous. Worse still, we get a lame "brainwashed Cyclops vs. the other X-Men" subplot that truly deserves a spot in the Hall of Shame for cliché Hollywood subplots in films depicting a team of heroes.

Finally, I hate ... hate ... HATE what they did with Lady Deathstrike in this film. Oh good lord do I hate it. Even if the Lady Deathstrike character is kind of stupid once she becomes a cyborg, before that point in time she and her backstory with Logan are some of the most compelling emotional drama we've ever had in X-Men. She's a huge piece to the puzzle of Logan's past and the nature of their relationship is well worth exploring in a feature film. Instead, what do we get here? She's reduced to a nameless agent of Stryker's. I'm not even kidding. We never get a formal name drop. Logan displays zero recognition of her. She makes no declarations towards him. It's as though they're total strangers. All Wolverine sees in her is v.2.0 of himself, adamantium-wise, and a woman instead of a man. He basically sees the killing machine that the U.S. military had wanted him to become. That's it. There's zero pathos here. There's zero tragic romance. It's just a fight between strangers that ends, stupidly, with Lady Deathstrike being pumped full of liquid adamantium and (if I recall correctly) asphyxiating as her lungs fill with the metal.

I may be remembering a few details wrong, and there are definitely a few moments in the film that still elicit some positive response, but for the most part it's a film that I feel is honestly better off forgotten. The only reason to see it is:

the fact that it sets up Jean Grey's transformation into the Phoenix. Comic book fans will want to see it while non-comic book fans will need to see it.

Aside from that ... you don't even really need the second film.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment