UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 08-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #51
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbleucorsola View Post
BORKED

The Digimon Adventure 15th Anniversary Event announced on Friday that the characters of the first Digimon Adventure anime are returning next spring. The video shown at the end of the event described the main character Taichi as being 17 years old in high school with his Digimon partner Agumon. The sequel anime series will tell a “new story” “for all the ‘DigiDestined’ in the world.” “Now, [once] again, the adventure evolves.” A pamphlet at the event revealed that production on the series has already begun.

Source: ANN
Well that sure is surprising. O_o

First Sailor Moon Crystal, now this. I wonder if Toei will continue to tap into '90s nostalgia by revisiting more of their most successful series.

Where will this series start us off?
  • Will it pick up before or after the second season/series, the one featuring Ken the Digimon Emperor?
  • Will we explore the life of a 17-year old Taichi who did not make the same choice as (and thus did not have the same subsequent experiences as) the younger Taichi who befriended Agumon? For example, did this Taichi choose not to go to summer camp?
    -OR-
    Will we explore the continuation of the Taichi we knew from the original series (singular or plural)?
Still though, I gotta say ... it's weird to even think of him as a "Taichi." He's always been "Tai" to me thanks to the dub. ^^; haha
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #52
Char
Banned

WHAT
Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #53
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Just what we needed, re-opening the can of worms that is Sorato.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #54
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Not completely related, but more Digimon Adventure-related fanart and fanworks are being released. These are some of them:

BORKED

BORKED
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #55
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

American Digimon theme was better in those videos. And lawl, how appropriate, the Mega Level has Mega Pokemon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #56
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

So, curious as to what everyone's favorite theme songs are/were! This is a question both older and newer fans can answer, so I'm hoping for some good responses~

For me, it's probably Frontier's English Theme. Like, that's music you can dance to, for sure. It's also extremely inspiring, and it's really weird to listen to the song years later and be like "...Wow, this is actually really deep!"! It's also got a wonderful scheme to it which is just repetitious enough to tie it together as a solid theme without getting boring. And that chorus of sound effects at the beginning? To die for.

EDIT: So I was rewatching it and WAT LUCIMON APPEARS IN THE OPENING FOR LIKE A SECOND NEAR THE END TROOOOOOOLLS

EDIT2: Oh I forgot we had the same theme song three times before well this is embarrassing. >///<
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.

Last edited by Kindrindra; 11-17-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:02 PM   #57
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Guess what came out today?
Old 11-20-2015, 11:06 PM   #58
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm not sure what to think about that. I won't try the show, given it's just opening up an obnoxious can o' worms with the Taiora stuff, but I'm curious about it. Not for nostalgia's sake. I think Toei anime of the early aughts (Digimon, One Piece, Futari wa Pretty Cure!, Konjiki no Gash Bell!) have a certain look to them that strikes me as far more nostalgic than newer shows. The new Digimon ain't got that look.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #59
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Since Digimon's kind of a big deal for many of the members on this message board, I'll start things off with a traditional post. No spoiler tags here, so don't read on if you don't want to be spoiled on Episode 01! This post is intended to be read to give people a good idea of whether they want to check out this series or not.

Episode 01: Fifteen minutes into the episode and I'm so excited I can't wait to start posting about things! 99% of it is the excitement that comes with seeing old friends again and knowing that they're about to set off on a new, harrowing adventure that promises to reunite the old gang. The nostalgia is strong with Digimon Adventure tri! And that's great for anyone who grew up with Seasons 1 and 2 of the original Digimon run.

The story takes place after the events of Digimon S2 (and possibly after S3, S4, and any other seasons -- I don't know). The kids are all in high school, with college just around the corner. Taichi is being hounded by his homeroom teacher to figure out what he wants to do with his life, and Jou is even going to a cram school to try and get into a prestigious university. While most of the friends are still in each others' lives physically -- never mind live in the same city, all but Mimi go to the very same school! -- there are obvious signs throughout the episode that they have drifted apart over the past four or five years since S1 wrapped up. Takeru and Hikari don't appear to have become (or remained) a couple, for instance, and Taichi and Yamato seem to interact more like former friends than current friends. When Taichi tries to invite Koushirou to Taichi's soccer match, rather than it feeling like a genuine invitation from one best friend to another, it feels more like when a playboy phones Woman D after having previously called Women A thru C and all three of them told him that they already have plans for the weekend.

It's a sad but interesting place to start off. While I'm not happy to see that the friends have drifted apart, there's romance in it. When Taichi's homeroom teacher asks him what he wants to do with his future and urges him to just think of any ol' career, all Taichi can manage, in a brief glimpse of honesty, is, "I want to see my friends." The camera and dialogue soon suggest Taichi is referring to Agumon and the other Digimon left behind in the digital world, but there's a pain-in-your-throat sort of tearful subtext here that suggests Taichi is also indicating his human friends with whom he went on that fateful adventure several summers ago. You can also see the other Digidestined clumsily groping for one another's love or affection. Takeru and Hikari, while not boyfriend and girlfriend, have an exchange that only a boy crushing on the girl and a girl crushing on the boy could have -- and it ends with both of them denying that they have any interest in the other, so typical of teenagers. While undeniable that they have drifted apart, the fact that Yamato even bothers to invite Taichi to his rock concert suggests he not only still considers Taichi a friend but that he wants Taichi there, that he values Taichi's presence in the audience. Mimi responds to Koushirou's text message within seconds -- even though he sends it at like 2 in the afternoon Japan time, so like midnight New York City time. And she doesn't hesitate to book the next flight to Japan to see the gang again -- or at least, would have if only someone could've paid the expenses. This is really interesting. This is really romantic. This is the sort of setting that just tugs at Digimon Adventure fans' heartstrings. Here we have our heroes who have drifted apart ... yet all secretly (or not so secretly) miss that summer from four to five years ago where they saved the world, and each other, while having the time of their lives.

The animation's not so hot budget-wise. It calls to mind the ever-controversial Mekakucity Actors anime of Shaft's. Really simple, low-budget animation for the people. Faces that look out of place even for 2006, never mind 2015. "That's Toei for you, I guess," I would want to say. Except Sailor Moon Crystal didn't look anywhere near this bad. I guess it's just a difference in funding.

However, the animation direction is really good. The first fifteen minutes have been able to convey a lot of information in very little time. Much of that is to be credited to the screenplay writers, but quite a bit of it has to be credited to the animation director. He uses shots effectively to show us lots of stuff without going too fast. I've not yet felt overwhelmed by the pacing while watching this. Additionally, how things are drawn / the artstyle of the series is somewhat promising. Yeah, it's really really simple. But there's also something ... I can't quite put my finger on. I dunno. I will have to watch more. But I like the animation direction so far.

What about the script? No complaints there. So far, so good.

And the voice acting? Top notch. I imagine that most if not all of the voices are provided by the original characters' VAs. But even if they aren't, every last one of them sounds super professional and suits the character. Hikari's the perfect imouto, Taichi's the perfect Jintan, and so on.

Last but not least ... the opening hook. So! The episode opens with a Digimon mythology lesson about the creation of the digital world. But as the monologue comes to a close, we see something. Various people seem to be being struck down by what is soon revealed to be a Gundam. (I shit you not. ) And who are these people? Davis from S2 appears to be the first silhouetted figure. Then what's-her-name, Glasses Girl from S2 appears to be the second figure. Then Armadillo Boy appears to be the third figure. Or maybe it's one of the kids from S3, I don't know. And finally a fourth person falls who I couldn't quite I.D. while I was watching. (And I haven't gone back yet to check if it's Ken, an S3 character, or someone else entirely.) The point is, Digimon Adventure tri promises to be a comprehensive revisit to the original series. This isn't just about the original seven Digidestined. This is also about the S2 heroes (and maybe the S3+ ones as well). While we may not see them early on during the main story, we're all but guaranteed to see Davis by the end of this. And learn his Japanese name while watching.

Alright, so I just finished the episode. Thoughts on the closing developments, as well as a theory or two. These I will place inside of a spoiler tag, as they're not so much meant to give you a taste of what the show's about as they are plot-pertinent discussion.

Spoiler: show
The episode ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, doesn't it!? Man am I glad we got Episodes 01 thru 04 all in one batch! I would've hated to have had to wait an entire week just to get Episode 02!

I have a theory that Takeru's "girlfriend" is involved in all of this. Quite possibly a massive dead end , but as of Episode 01 I'm wondering if maybe this girl is only interested in T.K. because of his Digidestined status, she herself is a Digidestined / has a Digimon partner, and whether she's a hero or a villain she was trying to get closer to him because of a hidden agenda. If she proves to be a villain, this could set the stage pretty nicely for Hikari to swoop in and claim her proper title as Takeru's One and Only. (Sorry, Yamato! )

I found it interesting that Taichi recognized the Digimon that was flying over Odaiba Park. I didn't recognize it specifically, though of course it called to mind a lot of similar-looking beasties from the original series. But he identified it by name, which indicates it was probably seen in either Season 1 or Season 2.

SORA'S IN LOVE WITH BOTH TAICHI AND YAMATO! Oh man. This is gonna be a rollercoaster.

The ending credits give away that the cute girl with the long black hair and glasses who Taichi sees outside his family's apartment building as he's on his way out to the soccer game ... yeah, her ... she's going to be a major character in the story and appears to have a cat-like Digimon partner. It's possible she's the girl Takeru is going out with right now (see my theory above!), but even if she's not it's clear she'll be crossing paths with the original seven plus Hikari this time around ... if not outright joining them on their adventure.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #60
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I totally called that bogus Taiora stuff. There were select fanservice shots but beyond that, other reviews were less flattering than yours. Although you've only gone through one episode.

Nice catch on the "friends" plurality. I love that stuff.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #61
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
(and possibly after S3, S4, and any other seasons -- I don't know).
It shouldn't, the first two seasons are the only ones that actually take place in the same universe.

Also I believe Davis's Japanese name is Daisuke, or something along those lines.

I haven't watched the first movie yet, but once I'm somewhere with actually good internet, I plan on devouring it.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:44 PM   #62
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I totally called that bogus Taiora stuff.
It's a little bogus. ^^; I always got the impression from S1 that Taichi kinda sorta had a crush on Sora but that Sora ends up choosing Bad Boy Yamato over Goody Two Shoes Taichi and that's that. Yamato x Sora is official (I thought!) and Taichi's left being an Ash Ketchum-like character, ever optimistic and leaderful [/neologism] but as far as romantic pairings go he's alone or else yaoi paired with Yamato.

So when tri introduced the idea of a canon "Sora can't make up her mind between Taichi and Yamato," I was both kinda "Huh? " and "I love it! X3" Not sure how long it can last before it gets stale but for now I definitely, definitely love the idea of Sora secretly wanting both dudes and meanwhile the guys are gay for one another and haven't realized it yet.

Quote:
There were select fan service shots but beyond that, other reviews were less flattering than yours. Although you've only gone through one episode.
True, but still. I can honestly say I enjoyed Episode 01 much, much more than I had expected to. I went into the episode 50/50, as prepared to find it boring, stupid, or insulting to the memory of the original series as I was prepared to find it exciting, intelligent, or doing the original proud. I even remarked to myself before sitting down, "It's not like I'm even that big into Digimon!" Digimon for me was a fun experience made even funner by the places I went and the people I shared my enthusiasm for the show with. But it was always, always "Pokémon's dumber brother." The naming conventions were stupid. The creatures were overdesigned. The narrative was overwrought. And worst of all, Digimon was infamously the Pepsi to Pokémon's Coca-Cola, the "Hey, that's a nice fortune you've made over there. Mind if I copy you?" shameless clone of the hugely-popular Pokémon.

But I can honestly say that while 99% of my enjoyment of Episode 01 came from nostalgia alone, the nostalgia was real and it was there. It was really fun to see the characters again in a "What are they doing now?" setting. It was fun to see familiar sights and exciting to see new ones.

Not gonna lie: one of my favorite moments watching the episode was when Koushirou / Izzy was at dinner with his parents and, in talking to Sora over the telephone, he keeps calling her "Sora-san." It's a huge window into Izzy's mind/heart, into how he sees himself in relation to the other Digidestined. Why is she "Sora-san" and not simply "Sora"? Does he feel like he's "ever the outsider" of the group, ever the one who no one considers to be their No.1 best friend? Does he feel like he has to afford her the same respect he would afford a stranger because they are still strangers, socially, despite clearly being friends with emotional bonds that traverse space and time?

Little stuff like this. The honeymoon might not last into Episode 02 but at least so far I have quite enjoyed what I have seen.

Quote:
Nice catch on the "friends" plurality. I love that stuff.
Thanks! Yeah, the anime was kinda heavy-handed when it not only invoked visual imagery (the sight of the tamagotchi-like Digivice) but also used Taichi's own dialogue to spell out that he means the Digimon left behind in the digital world. But because the entire first half of the episode had built on this idea that Taichi is essentially Jinta from Ano Hana, I feel like the subtext is legitimately there that he also means his human friends who are physically with him in this world and yet feel miles away.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #63
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 02:

The fun continues! I have some complaints here or there, but for the most part I enjoyed this episode. The plot develops, the Digimon are reintroduced, and it was exciting from start to finish.

My first complaint is really more of a compliment: it was over much too soon! Oh man. When it ended, I felt like we had ten minutes left. That's not because the episode was sparse -- it wasn't! -- but just that I wanted a lot more and didn't expect the episode to end in the middle of post-battle discussion at Haneda Airport like that.

My second complaint, a bit more of a serious one, is that they rushed the reintroduction of every Digimon except Agumon. :\ I understand that we don't have time to reintroduce eight creatures all with the same length that you reintroduced Agumon, but I would've at least liked to have seen 20 to 30-second long scenes with each of the DigiDestined prior to their warping to (or being escorted to) the airport, wherein we get to see them reuniting with their respective Digimon partners for the first time in years. I don't understand why Agumon would show up beside Taichi (and seemingly be summoned by Taichi's Digivice) yet Palmon would show up thousands of miles away from Mimi. Makes no sense. Seems to me to clearly be a shoehorned bit of writing that is meant to allow for the fact that, due to time constraints, the episode didn't have enough time to showcase eeeeeeeeeverybody joining in on the fight at Haneda Airport.

What started off as a third complaint morphed into a compliment once I did some research. Originally, I was upset that Gatomon didn't digivolve in this episode. Everyone else did! What, I thought, are the writers afraid of pairing Taichi and Hikari too strongly right out of the gate that they refuse to show Patamon and Gatomon evolving into Angemon and Angewomon as a pair? It was weird to see all the others having to evolve into their second stages to take on the baddies while Gatomon just stayed in her base stage for the fight. But then I started to remember something about Gatomon being at a different stage of evolution than the others. So I went to do some research, and sure enough Gatomon is at what they call the Champion form level whereas Patamon and the others are at what is called the Rookie level. When Agumon becomes Greymon, for example, Greymon is on the same power level as Gatomon. It's weird -- and one of many nitpicks I have with the original series ^^; -- but as a nod to canon I now appreciate that they had Gatomon fighting in her "base form" along with the others in their evolved forms.

Fourth, a reiteration from last time: the animation. Yeesh. ^^; I really like the animation direction, but I'm really let down by the animation itself, i.e. the animation at a technique or executed level. It just ... looks really low budget and really cheap whenever it's not focused on the Digimon. They look great, but the people and buildings tend to look pretty ehh.

And finally: what was with all of the 2s in the digital code during the digi-evolution sequences? ^^; It made no sense to me. You have a bunch of 0s, 1s, and 2s. Either go for pure binary (in which case you only do 0s and 1s) or else go the full digital mile (in which case we should be seeing 3s thru 9s as well)! What sort of digital programming would only have 0s, 1s, and 2s across thousands of lines of code!? Weird.

Alright! Time for the string of compliments!

First off, the new opening! I absolutely adore this opening. The animation is easily one letter grade above the show's :') , and the song is really fun and lovely. I just love the whole package. I've watched it at least ten times already. If people have complaints about the show proper, fine, whatever, but you've gotta at least love this opening!

Second, MIMI! <3 Oh my gosh, so much Palmon and Mimi wonderfulness this episode. Mimi was totally mai waifu back when I watched the original series (Mimi > Hikari >> Sora, for me), and it was fun to see her here again. I'm not sure the love is as strong as it was back then, but the nostalgia covers for this and makes for a wonderful reunion with my favorite Digimon girl.

Third, I absolutely loved Agumon's reunion with Taichi. It was a, imo, difficult to pull off but excellently pulled off balance between the usual reunion (where you have lots of tears and 5+ minutes of conversation) and the unfortunately common mid-battle reunion where someone just shows up and there's nothing. (See: all of the other Digimon in this very episode. ^^; orz) While normally I want the 5+ minutes reunion, I'm complimenting the midway one here because of the setting: Agumon shows up literally in the midst of a giant mecha-bug Digimon about to destroy Taichi and saves his life. They can spare the few seconds for hugs that they do, but beyond that it's "JUST LIKE OLD TIMES!" wasting no time fighting the bug. I also like this because it shows just how much being a DigiDestined is like riding a bicycle for Taichi: even if you don't do it for years, you never forget how. Yeah, the scene sees Taichi and Agumon proverbially dusting off their combat boots, but within seconds it's like they never left Season 2.

Fourth, it was great fun to hear the original Japanese voices. Pretty much all of them I like better than the dub versions. One that really stands out from the rest is Gatomon! I don't remember her sounding like this in the dub, but in the original man does she sound like a wise, mature woman in her 30s! It really threw me off given the cat's diminuitive stature, but I guess it would have been for the original S1 viewers all those years ago a foreshadowing that Gatomon's already one stage more fully evolved than the other Digimon.

Fifth, the episode reveals that Taichi's homeroom teacher is actually an undercover agent (who has presumably been keeping tabs on the DigiDestined) working for some sort of intelligence agency. I didn't see this coming. But given that it did come, I feel like my Ep01 theory about Takeru's girlfriend really being a fellow DigiDestined who is after the kids for her own agenda has just gained a little bit more weight. We'll see though!

Sixth, I really liked idea of Greymon and the mecha-bug going in between the digital world and the physical world during their battle. It was exciting, a mix of new (what with the frequency of the transportations) and nostalgic (what with us having seen the digital world cross over into the real world back in S2).

All in all, I enjoyed the episode. As much as I enjoyed Episode 01? Nooo ... but I still enjoyed it. I'd say the series is 2 for 2 so far. I've heard various people describing it as a movie, and if it's true that there are only four episodes and then that's it then yeah I'll be disappointed. But if this is just the first two episodes to a TV series that is at least 13 episodes long if not longer, then I think they're doing a good job so far.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #64
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 03:

Aha. So here it is. The point of controversy. Alright then ... let's get started, shall we?

I enjoyed Episode 03, but it's obvious to me that what people are probably most upset about with Digimon Adventure tri is all of the shipping demolition that is going on here. There's a lot of fun stuff to be found in the episode as well. And there's even some surprisingly mature stuff too! Overall, I liked Episode 03. But yeah ... shipping discussion, shall we?

While Episode 01 introduces the notion that Sora can't make up her mind between Taichi and Yamato, Episode 03 does much more to rain on shippers' parades by:
  • introducing Koushirou having feelings for Mimi
  • introducing Jou having a girlfriend (who is not one of the DigiDestined)
  • introducing the new girl, Meiko, and having her blush every time her eyes meet with Taichi's
So basically, this episode takes a huge crap on anyone's lap who was shipping either Taichi x Sora or Jou x Mimi. I was definitely in the latter camp, and so I can understand why people are upset! But ... c'mon, guys. It was always gonna be the case that two of the main guys weren't going to end up with one of the main girls (because five boys and three girls) and it just so happens that tri wants to make it Taichi (paving the way for Yamato x Sora) and Jou (paving the way for Koushirou x Mimi).

BORKED

link

Let's look at the love triangle surrounding Mimi first. Ever since S1, I've paired Mimi and Jou off in my head. They seemed to have the best chemistry. And it was such a classic nerd ship of Dorky Guy gets Best Waifu Girl that I don't think any teenage nerd could resist. I guess you could say Koushirou / Izzy is more nerd than Jou was, but I never really saw Izzy pairing off with anybody. He just seemed like an asexual encyclopedia type.

So it was pretty disappointing that all throughout Episodes 01 and 02, Jou didn't seem the least bit excited to do things with the group (which includes Mimi) or to contact Mimi privately. And then Episode 03 comes and ... yeah. ^^; Mimi gives Jou this great big ol' hug that she hasn't given to any other character yet. And then Jou tells her five minutes later that he's already got a girlfriend. Jou x Mimi shippers, shattered. orz

But I don't think Koushirou x Mimi is half bad either. At least not in tri, it isn't. Would've been weird in the original series, but here in tri Izzy feels much less like an asexual encyclopedia and much more like a brilliant, well-bred teenage boy who would act like any such boy IRL would act. Episode 03 reminds us that Jou is older than Mimi (not like he's that much older though), and whether she falls behind by a grade because of America or whether she's always been in the same grade, I don't recall, but it shows us that Mimi is enrolling in the freshman level along with Koushirou. So those two are the same age (at least academically) whereas Jou is a good two years older.

I dunno. It'll take some getting used to, but I'm not decimated by Koushirou x Mimi the way I would be decimated by Takeru x anyone besides Hikari.

What about Meiko? It's increasingly obvious that she's the girl with the mysterious cat-like Digimon. That I've not contested. But I guess the manner of her introduction in Episode 03 rules out my theory that that character was going to prove to be Takeru's current girlfriend. But even if my theory's dead in the water, I couldn't be happier. Why? Well let's see ...
  • Meiko's cute!
  • I think Yamato x Sora makes a lot more sense than Taichi x Sora.
  • Yamato x Sora would leave Taichi alone, but Meiko's arrival means that Taichi gets someone too.
  • Meiko appears to already have a crush on Taichi and OMG CUTE! >3<
So yeah. I like Meiko. Sorry, "Taiora" shippers, but here's hoping that Taichi x Meiko is here to last.

With all the shipping discussion out of the way, let's tackle the rest of the episode, shall we? One thing I liked in particular was Taichi's grappling with the gravity of the DigiDestineds' adventures in the physical world. He feels somewhat responsible for the damage that happened at the airport, even though (as the others correctly point out to him) Greymon's involvement probably limited the damage that would've occurred rather than heightening it. It's undeniable: during the fight, Greymon's attacks created damage to building structures which in turn caused innocent bystanders to become injured and in need of hospitalization. It's likewise undeniable that while nobody died this time the DigiDestined simply got lucky and that next time, if there's similar scales of damage during the fight, people are probably going to die. Taichi is pensive about this heavy subject for most of the episode, and I really loved the emotional climax towards the end of the episode where he's looking at the sunset, Agumon keeps calling his name, and Taichi just doesn't respond for a while ... and then when he finally does respond, HEAVY MORALITY DUMP TIME! And Agumon's like, "I don't know. ;.;" aww. It was a good scene.

It's something most kids shows never want to really talk about. Think Power Rangers, where buildings are routinely destroyed during the zord fights. Lots of kids shows do similar things. You see the heroes fighting the villains and large-scale damage takes place ... and then there are zero consequences afterwards. Digimon S1 got away with this because all the damage took place in the wilds of the Digital World. S2 introduced the idea of the damage arriving in our world but didn't go in the direction that tri maturely decides to explore here in Episode 03. It's tri that says, "Hey. Wait a minute. Look. Our 'heroic actions' bring with them death and destruction on a colossal scale. Maybe we should think about this for a second. Maybe we have some moral responsibility to the families of those who lose their lives or livelihoods due to our actions or failures." We can defend the DigiDestined against such attacks (especially when they're beating themselves up over failing to protect others from enemy attacks), but at the end of the day there is still some heavy truth to this. Truth that the other series opted not to explore (or didn't have to) but which tri not only must explore but chooses to in earnest.

I thought it was also kinda neat that they established Koushirou's office as being sort of their "base of operations" going forward, and how he's developed a technology which allows the Digimon to escape into the safety of the digital world (and, more specifically, to an isolated cyberspace that exists only on his server in his office) but has the drawback of only allowing them to re-enter the physical world from his office and nowhere else. Yeah, it's a lot of hand-wavey cybernonsense, but it sets the stage for a plot convenience: we can have the Digimon escape death but at the cost that they're taken out of the fight. This gives the enemy an incentive to track down Koushirou's office and destroy it. It also gives the heroes a difficult decision when they're in their next close fight: "Do I hit the Safety Button and have my beloved partner fly off to Izzy's place? Or do I not hit it and then they die and it's all my fault? But what if I hit it and then we lose the fight and ... OH MAN! >.<" Drama!
Old 12-01-2015, 06:01 AM   #65
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Does anybody have a good HD-quality link to the episodes? All the ones that I found seem to be 480 or 360.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:42 AM   #66
Lauren
Pokemon Trainer

I was in love with the first 3 seasons of Digimon, it was a big part of my childhood, I tried to watch the others but they weren't as nice as the firsts.. I do like Digimon Adventure Tri too, It's nice to see them coming back after all these years, I hope they don't stop after the 6 films / 24 episodes, I want to see more..
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:29 PM   #67
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Didn't realize that the next film (a.k.a. Episodes 05 thru 08) was out already. Huh. Well, I've started watching it. But first ...

I wanted to write about Episode 04 last year but, surprise!, I cared too much and the post ended up stalling into oblivion. Suffice to say in brief for right now:

● I enjoyed the episode
● shipping comments for the spoiler box below

With Episode 04, it seems like the series has decided to set Tai up with Mei, maybe, forcing Sora to choose Matt a.k.a. Yamato, Izzy gets Mimi because tri logic , Joe gets an offscreen love interest because tri logic , and Hikari gets T.K. because what are they even playing at pretending this isn't going to happen. I like Mei, and I feel like she's a winning waifu, but I dunno ... not sure how I feel about Matt x Sora, especially when even tri seems happy to hint at Tai x Yamato.

Episode 05:

The first of our four newest episodes is ... not very good. ^^; It's 80% filler that is handled very poorly. It could have been great, being any of:
  • amusing
  • character building
  • romantic
but it's none of these things. In fact, it's nothing really good at all. The pacing is terrible (we jump much too fast between scenes), nothing of note really happens ... I don't know why they even wasted our time like this. It's a surprisingly far cry from how Episodes 01 thru 04 were, and so I have to wonder if the director attached to the first movie is different from the one attached to the second. I wouldn't think so but for the fact that 05 is just so different from 01-04.

The final 20% of 05 is where the story starts to pick up again. We learn that villainous Digimon are trying to enter the human realm and wreak havoc but that a few of our friends from Seasons 1-3, like the one lion-man Digimon, are doing their best to keep the bad guys from harming anyone in either world. We learn that the military has been working on a secret weapon to combat the Digimon threat but their first test doesn't go so well.

The biggest takeaways for me with this episode were:

● Mei has a regional accent that she tries to mask.
● Meicoomon is a 2nd stage / Champion-level Digimon, like Gatomon
● We glimpsed someone who looked an awful lot like Ken in his Digimon Emperor clothing being evil in the Digital World, but it wasn't clear who it actually was.

Seriously, not much happened. Even the shipping fodder was pretty insubstantial. (A weak suggestion that Joe might still like Mimi, an obvious display that Izzy likes Mimi, Mei blushing when she bowed out of respect but was then facing Taichi's bath-toweled crotch ...)

Having loved 01-04 as much as I did, I'm still excited for 06 though. Not going to let one bad episode get in the way of that.

And besides! MYSTERIOUS DIGIMON EMPEROR!
Old 05-14-2016, 12:28 AM   #68
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 06:

EPISODE 06 JUST STARTED AND MIMI WANTS THE CLASS TO RUN NOT A CAFE, NOT A MAID CAFE, BUT A HOOTERS.

I love Mimi so much.

"Eating there is a blast, so I'm sure it's fun to work there too." Oh my gosh ...

This episode is already so much better than the previous one.

Izzy calls Mimi egocentric. Could this be ...? :o Does Joe x Mimi still have a chance?

This has become the Mimi episode. And it's so, so good.

FUCK YEAH, LEOMON!

THIS SCENE AT THE RIVERSIDE, MY HEART!

I SHIPPED MIMI x JOE ALL THESE YEARS, YOU TORE IT DOWN IN tri 01-04 ... AND NOW YOU'RE BRINGING IT BACK! Don't tease me like this! Don't say it if you don't mean it! If you're gonna do Joe x Mimi after all then LET'S GOOO!
Old 05-15-2016, 12:39 AM   #69
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 07:

Another great episode. Really glad to see that 05 was just a fluke. So far this series has been 6 for 7! That's great!

Loved Hooters Daters Mimi and Daters Meiko. Something about Hooters parodies in anime is so much cuter and wholesome than, and not at all pervy or creepy like, the real thing. Real Hooters is gross. Anime Hooters is amazing. Japan's fascination with Hooters in recent years has been a lot of fun.

Loved the part where the Digimon beg Leomon to take them to the festival and Meicoomon is too much for his heart to handle.

While I'm not giving up on Joe x Mimi just yet, I'll admit that Izzy x Mimi returns this episode with Izzy's reactions first to the photograph of Daters Mimi and second to seeing Daters Mimi in person. And it was cute. :p I just like Joe x Mimi more.

Takeru and Hikari are so a couple why are we still pretending they're not / why are we still acting like they're old exes?

The show continues to tease that Ken is back as the Digimon Emperor and is wreaking havoc, but I just don't accept that he'd do that. Either:
  1. he himself got infected by the virus that's corrupting Digimon, and this consequently turned him back into the Digimon Emperor
  2. he's being framed by an impostor
Either way, I refuse to believe that Ken would turn on his friends like that without outside interference. It has to be some other villainy at work.

It's also really suspicious that the bad guy's partner Digimon is somebody we've not seen before instead of being one of Wormmon's forms. In fact, we haven't seen Wormmon once yet. That to me is a huge sign that something's off.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:53 PM   #70
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 08:

Well this was quite the dark twist. Both with Ken and with Meicoomon. Double the darkness, double the sad.

• I didn't like how Takeru referred to Ken throughout this episode. He would use cold pronouns like aitsu and generally speak of Ken like he's not their friend and is in fact a long-standing enemy. ... What the fuck, man? Those six became best friends by the end of S2, I thought. Am I just not remembering S2 right? I thought the Digimon Emperor was defeated forever at the halfway point, and that after a long soul-searching trek through the desert Ken joined our heroes as a good guy for the final quarter or so of Season 2. No?

• Leomon dying. Holy shit. I realize that for Digimon death isn't really permanent, that they get reborn in that one nursery and they remember everything from their previous lives. But still! This was really shocking and really sad to see happen. Especially in the "Et tu, Brute?" fashion they did it!

• Meicoomon being at the nexus of the infections makes some sense ... but I think it worked better before Meiko was introduced as a DigiDestined. Why would a sweet girl like Meiko have been chosen by an evil being like Meicoomon's evolution? Meiko is unremarkable when it comes to things like physical prowess, intellect, financial resources, and so on. The conclusion I reach is that Meicoomon's evolution, just like Ken from S2, is really good and innocent in all of this but has been corrupted by an outside force. And if that's the case -- that Meicoomon's evolution isn't naturally evil, but is doing evil things right now because it's under an evil influence -- then it calls into question the prophesaic proclamation that "The distortions [...] and the infected Digimon [are both] due to ... Meicoomon."

• What's up with Himekawa smiling at the end there when Meicoomon murders Leomon? How does this plot twist even fit into our story as written thus far?

• Gomamon and Joe were good. Joe is a great character if one that might also make viewers uncomfortable. (The whole "Why did it have to be us?" thing.)

• I'm assuming that Rosemon and Vikemon aren't new to the franchise. But are they really brand new to Digimon Adventure? Did they really never show up in Seasons 1 or 2? While I have no explicit memory of them, I also didn't recall Lilymon or Zudomon until they were shown on screen. Vikemon looks too similar to Zudomon for me to be certain of anything, but Rosemon feels like someone I thought we saw in Season 2. Hmm ...

• Rosemon's boobs. There. I said it.

EDIT: So apparently bigger fans of Digimon than I were not in the least bit saddened or surprised by Leomon's death -- because apparently he has died three to four times already in the history of the television series. A number of fans' comments brought this to my attention, and then this fan goes and says:

Quote:
Fuck Leomon why is it so hard for you not to die even in tri a season in 2016 where your supposed to already be dead only you could find a way die again.
I was in tears laughing when I read this. Had to share.

EDIT 2: Crap! I posted without discussing Ken! >_<

• So ... Ken. ^^; This episode confirms that the guy we see is indeed Ichijouji Ken, and not a mere look-alike. While we don't see Wormmon by his side, we do see Imperialdramon in the final fight -- and while I did not remember this while watching, the Internet was kind enough to remind me that Imperialdramon is an evolved form of a merger between Ken's Wormmon and Davis's Veemon. So like, not only is Wormmon techically there, but so is Veemon. Until they both die. Because Imperialdramon is erased by the combined efforts of Rosemon, Vikemon, and Leomon. Not really sure what is up here, but I'm on board #teamken in the good guy sense and I refuse to believe that he'd simply go back to being the Digimon Emperor of his own accord. Something has to have happened. I suspect that the same force which has infected Meicoomon has also infected Ken. Digimon Season 2 all over again much?

And with that I've finished the second tri film! It was good! Got off to a rocky start with poorly-done filler but then picked itself up, dusted itself off, and was just as great as the first film was.

The third film isn't due to air in theaters until September 24, 2016. So it's gonna be a four-month wait before I can get my next taste of Digimon tri action. But given how good the first two parts were, I'm sure that Part 3, Confession, will be worth the wait.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:00 AM   #71
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Oh, so Try has a completely different voice cast? That's interesting.

Well, Sora's original CV, Mizutani Yuuko, just died of breast cancer. As is typical of Japanese press releases they only come out some time after the person died - she died on the seventeenth.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-19-2016, 06:55 AM   #72
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Oh, so Try has a completely different voice cast? That's interesting.
Quote:
I haven't really seen/heard anything Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei in years...maybe six or so.
What's going on with your last two posts on the forum? You start off like you're replying to something someone else said, when in reality you're the one starting the conversation and no one else had uttered a word about that topic.

That aside, yes and no: the humans seem to mostly have new voice actors but the Digimon are the opposite with mostly older actors reprising their roles from the original series. I think it works well. You get a sense of puberty / having grown up from the humans and a sense of childishness, innocence, and timelessness from the Digimon. Agumon and Taichi address this straight away when reunited -- Agumon remarks that Taichi has grown while Taichi remarks that Agumon hasn't changed at all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime