UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 12-06-2017, 01:45 AM   #251
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Oh yeah I forgot about superdickery.

Speaking of which, this person does some fun parodies of classic-era style comics. My favorite is this one:

Spoiler: show
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #252
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Disney bought Fox's film and entertainment division, which means X-Men and Fantastic Four are back with Marvel Studios. It's a pretty big merger and it has a lot more consequences than just Marvel films, so I've got some mixed feelings. Disney is getting pretty huge.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:20 PM   #253
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

JL8 is back on a consistent updating schedule! Some of these pages are MASSIVE, too.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #254
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Disney bought Fox's film and entertainment division
BORKED

"Can't you hear that jingle-jangle sound?" "OHHHHHH YEAAAAAH~!" - the Disney boardroom, probably
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:44 AM   #255
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Member when, in Return of the Joker, there were two Jokerz girls who were apparently Harley Quinn's grand-daughters? And everyone thought they were Joker's grand-daughters, leading to shipper overdrive? "Jo-Quin CONFIRMED?!!! XFD ^O^"

(note: this did not happen)

Weeeell it turns out

They're Dick Grayson's.

So that was a thing, coming on the heels of A Killing Joke. Not a thing I care for.

Amourshipping is so much more accessible.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:18 AM   #256
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Member when, in Return of the Joker, there were two Jokerz girls who were apparently Harley Quinn's grand-daughters? And everyone thought they were Joker's grand-daughters, leading to shipper overdrive? "Jo-Quin CONFIRMED?!!! XFD ^O^"

(note: this did not happen)

Weeeell it turns out

They're Dick Grayson's.

So that was a thing, coming on the heels of A Killing Joke. Not a thing I care for.

Amourshipping is so much more accessible.
Wait, what?
Old 01-18-2018, 04:23 AM   #257
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hear the sound of my face-palm.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-18-2018, 04:55 AM   #258
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Oh, that.

Haven't seen it yet, but having watched a few more clips surrounding that scene recently I've been considerably turned off by it. I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, but it's deliberately done in extremely poor taste, making it essentially a date-rape.

I honestly cried a bit when I found out Harley used Joker toxin to subdue Nightwing specifically because it reminded me of RotJ. "Consenting" or no, the implications are just too icky.

At least it appears to take place in a separate universe than the official DCAU canon. So there's that.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:53 AM   #259
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Doomsday Clock - the current era in DC comic books - is attempting to retcon Watchman's ending and combine it with the DC universe.

To not speak of there technical attempt to do this is a disservice the original (the premise being, Ozzy is trying to save the world from himself...), it speaks to two truisms:

1. That DC, out of either greed or desperation, is willing to incorporate whatever IP it can into its universe to drive sales
2. Fanboys are infested with Ouborous faecalis - a parasitic centipede species that connects a mammal's own mouth and anus, creating a closed loop. Defecation contractions pipe excrement up and back down into the esophagus. The stomach finds it's a familiar if disgusting meal, but better that than swallow the progressivism dominating Marvel comics, hmm?

Ultimately, I think #2 is more offensive than #1. Greed and desperation are two of the most empathic of human emotions that you don't have to experience. But I have a strong prejudice against escapism, which seems to be the driving force in the "critical acclaim" or what can only be poorly written fanfiction, cause Alan Moore has no part of this.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #260
RichardS
Pokemon Trainer

Superwoman is my favourite
RichardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #261
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I've decided to do a ~1 a week watching of the MCU, which should end around when Endgame comes out (I'm a bit of a fanboy what can I say). Yes this means I'm going to willingly watch the first two Thor films again. Necessary evil.

Started with Captain America. Know it's not the first released, but chronologically first and gives some good context for Iron Man between focusing on the predecessor to S.H.I.E.L.D and heavily featuring Starks dad. At the time it was an obvious attempt to give a bit more structure to the MCU ahead of Avengers and I felt like it serves this purpose better if watched first. As much as it's a bit campy I really enjoy this film and it was what first got me into the series (I paid very little attention to Iron Man and still find all three of them eh). Captain America was the first time the MCU realised that what makes a good superhero film is to mix it with - and lean heavily on - another genre (see also; why the Dark Knight trilogy is so much better than any other DC film ever made, being essentially a Bourne-esque action thriller series whose lead happens to have a cape). Straight superhero films are almost universally terrible to ok.

Projected order for the next few films; Iron Man 1&2, Thor, Hulk (the Edward Norton one has Downey Jr working for S.H.I.E.L.D in the post credits scene it totally counts!) and Avengers.

Last edited by Concept; 12-12-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #262
Loki

Technically Thor starts thousands of years ago when Thor and Loki were children.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:15 AM   #263
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

And technically I should have Ant-Man and the Wasp on one screen and Infinity War on the other at the same time if I wanted to watch them chronologically. Thankfully I'm not that pedantic.

EDIT the first: Today I watched Iron Man. I'd forgotten how much of a typical early 2000's superhero movie it was. Like, it's decent but it doesn't look out of place amongst the Tobey Maguire Spiderman films or the X-Men films of the time. Given this came out the same year as the Dark Knight it wasn't at all obvious at the time that Marvel movies were going to comprehensively trump attempts to bring DCs heroes to the big screen. Pepper Potts in particular is so stereotypical damsel in distress.

Last edited by Concept; 12-25-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:12 AM   #264
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Shazam! was fantastic and I was thunder-struck to learn he's the real Captain Marvel.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-25-2019, 03:58 AM   #265
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Endgame is a decent film but a little disappointing, has to be said.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #266
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I thought it was a very fun movie and the writers deserve a lot of props for making a 3 hour movie interesting, engaging, and mostly free of plot holes.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:30 AM   #267
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Did they actually beat Thanos at full strength with the IG, or do something cheap like go into the past and kill him before he gets the stones?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #268
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I'm not going to spoil the movie.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #269
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

You might as well, because I have no interest in watching any Marvel movies except Thor: Ragnarok, which I did on a whim. I'm only interested in Thanos so far as the online debates that will rage when Gold Experience Requiem appears later this year.

I already know that MCU Thanos is much weaker than his comics incarnation, with the fully studded IG being closer to the Dragon Balls than Mr. Mxyzptlk. But I don't know the details since it's a separate continuity with its own rules.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-29-2019, 07:06 PM   #270
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Spoilers to answer Dopples question:

A bit of both. Thanos dies about ten minutes in, having voluntarily used the stones to destroy the stones in an effort to stop anyone else undoing his snap. They go back in time to recover the stones in the past and successfully use them to undo the snap, but have to fight past!Thanos in the process after he gets wind of what they're doing. Past!Thanos does briefly reacquire all the stones, but they prevent him from using them long enough for Iron Man to get them off him.

IG in MCU is fairly weak compared to comics. He can activate them individually by closing his fist but of the three people who use it at full power (all the stones at once) Thanos and Hulk are badly wounded by the experience and Stark dies from it. Fights against Thanos are mostly an exercise in stopping him closing his fist
Old 04-30-2019, 07:03 AM   #271
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

How did they deal with the parallel worlds issue? If Thanos destroyed the stones, that would mean there's nothing the Avengers could have done to change the timeline.

Creating a new one does nothing but make things happier for the Avengers, those in the snapped timeline are still screwed and don't have the Avengers to lead them.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-01-2019, 02:25 AM   #272
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
How did they deal with the parallel worlds issue? If Thanos destroyed the stones, that would mean there's nothing the Avengers could have done to change the timeline.

Creating a new one does nothing but make things happier for the Avengers, those in the snapped timeline are still screwed and don't have the Avengers to lead them.
They go back in time to before the stones were destroyed, and then they get the stones, and then they put them right back so the timelines aren't doomed. This is addressed in the movie.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #273
Loki

It's not fully addressed because they do mess up and fuck up the timeline a bit. Loki 'escapes' with the cosmic cube, which didn't originally happen and 2014 Thanos dies before he gets to perform his 2018 decimation of the universe and don't send him back to 2014 to preserve the timeline. They also kill off 2014 Nebula even thought 2019 (+5?) Nebula is still around.

I doubt they will fix these issues as they do bring a quick mention of how messing with time is bad. And this can be an excuse to have a fucked up universe that allows the introduction of former Fox owned Marvel properties, which has long been theorized as the entry point since the purchase. They've used similar plots in the comic to make sweeping retcons.

I saw it today. I thought the film was decent. Infinity War was more exciting, but End Game had more character moments for the main Avengers cast which I thought was nice. I was worried they might overload the film with some of their more recent extreme stances (i.e. Captain Marvel girl power nonsense), but it was fairly tame overall. Thor was a highlight for me. I think I liked all of his scenes. He's been pretty weak on his own at the start, but I'm glad they've made him better in more recent films.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #274
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Well I mean if you think about it, it doesn't actually doom the timeline. Thanos was not necessary for the timeline to exist, from 2014's perspective - it's just a new timeline where Thanos disappears and never comes back.

What WOULD doom the timeline is if the infinity stones suddenly vanished into thin air and never came back. Infinity Stones are important to the actual functioning of reality - Thanos himself is just some guy. Incredibly powerful, but still just some guy.

The only part I don't really get is, if Thanos destroyed the stones, why that didn't doom the alpha timeline. Maybe Thanos made it so that the stones didn't control reality?
Old 05-02-2019, 10:22 PM   #275
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Marvel's message seems to be switch your brain off, which its fans seem very willing to do. w/e, we'll always have Infinity War, right?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment