UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 11-29-2016, 06:11 PM   #126
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Probably not. I mean yeah that's obviously really good, but even with SuMo being a tad more challenging than previous iterations I doubt I'll ever really need it for story mode. Not nuzlocking or anything. Cheers for the advice re Chu and Charjabug though guys!
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:27 PM   #127
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
It has a bitching animation though, which is arguably worth it.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #128
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
Definitely leave it till Thunderbolt, the TM is postgame.
Wait shit, really? I can't get the Thunderbolt TM until postgame? Fuck.

Anyway, I've currently just arrived on Poni. I have a strong bias for ghosts, obviously, so the more ghosts, the better, though I'll admit trying to go as close to monotype as possible does make the game become more difficult for sure. As you can imagine, it leaves my team very susceptible to Dark-types, which wouldn't really be a huge issue for me, admittedly... if it wasn't for the fact that Crunch and Sucker Punch are so common, which really puts a damper on things from time to time. I'm willing to go hard mode though and stick with a majority Ghost team anyway, simply because goddammit, I fucking love Ghosts.

So with that said, I'm looking for some advice to help craft my endgame team. Here is what I have currently trained up right now (or close to it) -

- Decidueye
- Golisopod
- A-Raichu
- A-Vulpix (w/ Snow Warning, took 35 fucking SoS chains to spawn...)
- Crabrawler
- A-Marowak
- Misdreavus (soon to be Mismagius)
- Araquanid (which I've pretty much swapped out entirely in favor of Golisopod)
- Mimikyu
- Sandygast (Almost Palossand)

Have considered training an A-Golem as well.

Out of the listed, can someone recommend what would probably be the best combinations?

Side notes: A-Marowak's moveset is interesting - Will-O-Wisp, Stomping Tantrum, Hex, Shadow Bone. If Will-O-Wisp misses/fails, Stomping Tantrum procs for more damage. Not sure if this moveset is as practical as it sounds on paper though, and I'm considering swapping Stomping Tantrum for an offensive Fire move.

Re: Mimikyu - I've actually really come to like this 'mon waaaaay more than I thought I would. Ghost/Fairy is a really neat typing, and its Disguise ability has been way more fun to take advantage of than I imagined it would.

PS - I'm not looking to make a competitive team here. Should I choose to go that route eventually, I'll be doing it post-postgame. For the time being, I'm merely worried about either a fun team (ghost majority), or a well-rounded team. Oh, and I'm willing to consider/catch Pokemon I do not have on the list to help shape the team, too.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:13 AM   #129
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Personally, I'd go for Decidueye/Golisopod/Mimikyu/Raichu/Mismagius/Ninetales. You don't really need a Fire type for the endgame, and you already have Decidueye and Mimikyu for physical ghosties. Mismagius and Raichu help keep the offensive setup from swerving too into the physical side of things, and Palossand is... rather poor tbh, its pros are Def/SpAtk but it's slow as balls and the SpDef is barely passable when most of its weaknesses tend towards being special attackers. As you said above, Golisopod outshines Araquanid, despite Water Bubble being handy and all. Crab vs Ninetales is a rough call. Both are good Ice types, but Crab's physical, slow and only somewhat bulky, whereas Ninetales has special bulk and speed, but its SpAtk is barely passable without investment. The tipping point for it imo is Snow Warning. Give it Blizzard and Aurora Veil, and you should be set to take things on. (The TMs for both are sold in Seafolk Village and Konikoni City respectively iirc.)

Also as a side note: Raichu can relearn Thunderbolt, but the move relearner's up at the Pokemon League, so judge that as you will.

Last edited by Ironthunder; 11-30-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Ironthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:27 AM   #130
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Probably not. I mean yeah that's obviously really good, but even with SuMo being a tad more challenging than previous iterations I doubt I'll ever really need it for story mode. Not nuzlocking or anything. Cheers for the advice re Chu and Charjabug though guys!
I think I've only used Z-moves twice throughout story mode, and both were more for "flavor" than actual necessity. Like I used Decidueye's Z-Move as the final blow for the last kahuna as well as the final blow in the Pokemon League. They're cool but not really necessary to succeed IMO. Not sure how useful they'll be competitively but in game you don't need them.

On the other hand I found myself using Mega-Evolution a lot throughout Y and Omega Ruby. Can't put a number on it but certainly more than twice. What was your experience with this, @everyone?
Old 11-30-2016, 12:19 PM   #131
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
I think I've only used Z-moves twice throughout story mode, and both were more for "flavor" than actual necessity. Like I used Decidueye's Z-Move as the final blow for the last kahuna as well as the final blow in the Pokemon League. They're cool but not really necessary to succeed IMO. Not sure how useful they'll be competitively but in game you don't need them.

On the other hand I found myself using Mega-Evolution a lot throughout Y and Omega Ruby. Can't put a number on it but certainly more than twice. What was your experience with this, @everyone?
I use Z-Moves quite frequently, because they're fun and visually appealing. Also to try and end annoying battles quickly.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #132
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

In the main game, I don't think I ever truly needed Z-moves. I often used them just to make sure I would take out an annoying opponent. Either that, or just for finishing flair.

Post-game....I sometimes used Z-moves out of desperation. Some post-game trainers are pretty tough, and anything to put you ahead of the 'mon count is a huge plus.

I watched one guy try to use a Z-splash. Too bad that didn't work out.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #133
Torkoal Stu
This

I'm finding it really hard to fill my team this generation so far. I have Brionne and Trumbeak, which is so not as cute as Pikipek and I hope the evolution is a return to good designing.

Like I found Oricorio because I love 3 out of 4 forms but I really don't like the electric form I was confronted with and then I'm not loving the lack of the special typing in the move set (minus signature move). I was thinking maybe Cutiefly but I'm not sure.

Any good new SuMo Pokemon suggestions please? D:
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #134
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Cutiefly, and in turn Ribombee (its evolution) are both rather good Pokemon. Ribombee is insanely fast and gets Powder Puff on evo, which has 90 base power and can heal your ally in doubles. It's also got solid recovery (Draining Kiss by like, level 16). Would recommend.

If you're looking for good design in the Pikipek line, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Oricorio's weird because movepool-wise, there's no form variation. No STABs other than Revelation Dance. tbh there's not really that many good final-stage fliers that are new and accessible before postgame short of Minior, who's not too bad.

Avoid Pyukumuku. It has the Lilligant syndrome: Adorable yet shite.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:42 PM   #135
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Fuck you iron lilligant is amazing.

Pyukumuku's up there with Delibird as one of the worst pokemon ever created, due in part to the fact that it's completely passive with no offensive power to speak of. Lilligant's not shite, because Quiver Dance plus STAB Petal Dance/Giga Drain fucks so much shit up and it can even put things to sleep as well what are you talking about

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #136
phoopes
Double Dragon

Hey now I like the entire Pikipek line, Toucannon is cool
Old 11-30-2016, 05:30 PM   #137
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raves View Post
Fuck you iron lilligant is amazing.

Pyukumuku's up there with Delibird as one of the worst pokemon ever created, due in part to the fact that it's completely passive with no offensive power to speak of. Lilligant's not shite, because Quiver Dance plus STAB Petal Dance/Giga Drain fucks so much shit up and it can even put things to sleep as well what are you talking about
Here to confirm Lilligant as boss. However Delibird isn't so bad, at least Gamefreak tried last gen by giving it Freeze-Dry.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #138
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Yesterday I encountered a 4IV shiny Ditto on a SoS chain of less than 40, will get a picture up when possible. It definitely made my lazy day feel a bit less lazy, somehow.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:37 PM   #139
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Ok I admit Scarf Own Tempo Petal Dance Lilligant is sort of cool.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:06 AM   #140
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raves View Post
Pyukumuku's up there with Delibird as one of the worst pokemon ever created, due in part to the fact that it's completely passive with no offensive power to speak of.
Pyukumuku @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 129 Def / 129 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Recover
- Toxic

this thing is SO
FUCKING
ANNOYING

Pyukumuku is a perfect pivot due to its ability to eat pretty much any attack in the game. A few of the more extreme examples (Shuckle Rollout is a no, because Shuckle Power Trick 6 defense curls rank 5 Rollout is a nightmare scenario that nothing can live through) can still KO it reliably, but for the most part Pyukumuku will eat the hit just fine and sit on the opponent's face until something happens. For example, Dragonite literally cannot kill Pyukumuku. Outrage will not deal enough damage to kill a Reflecting Pyukumuku even if Pyukumuku does not use Recover or run Leftovers. Dragonite will take 12-36% of its hp in Rocky Helmet damage and 18-36% of its hp in Toxic damage for the trouble, and could threaten a kill next turn if the Dnite doesn't switch.

The other option for Pyukumuku is to use it as a wall, but it's really not great at that because of its TOTAL LACK OF ATTACK POWER. I mean, Blissey walls off some Ghosts just fine even without Seismic Toss, but it also gets Wish and Pyukumuku does not.

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Light Screen
- Substitute
- Recover
- Toxic

You can swap the EVs over to SpD and run Reflect instead. Both sets are pretty much identical. Substitute stops status, Recover and Toxic are must-haves on Pyuku. Leftovers is actually optional as Recover gives Pyukumuku so much fucking healing that it's actually possible to just heal off the Substitute procs. The only issue is that if your Sub gets popped you are slower than your enemy so you may need to predict or you may get status'd. If you feel you're capable of predicting and Recovering at the right moments, go ahead and run Rocky Helmet (it's way better since it actually does damage).

Poisons and Steels can obviously wall off Pyukumuku of any kind but your Pyukumuku should never be engaged in pitched battle with people who aren't physical sweepers (if you're running Rocky Helmet). Get in, Toxic, set screens, leave.

There's also some merit to running Pyukumuku as a weather setter upper:

Pyukumuku @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Light Screen
- Recover
- Toxic

EVs are really whatever you want. I favor an even split since I'm aiming to switch pyukumuku into ANYTHING, but you can go for one or the other.

Pyukumuku also learns Hail, so Icy Rock/Hail works too.

DO NOT LET PYUKUMUKU BE YOUR LAST POKEMON.

AND Last but not least, Pyukumuku gets Baton Pass.

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Innards Out
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Curse
- Substitute
- Recover

Since this Pyuku does not have any means of dealing damage, we run Innards Out and sac it to kill off an unsuspecting sweeper. If the sweeper tries to outplay you, you can Recover up, Sub, Recover, start Cursing.

DO NOT LET PYUKUMUKU BE YOUR LAST POKEMON

While it is alive, it provides utility and protection for the rest of your squad, scouts information, and sets screens for the rest of your squad. Pyukumuku is really hard to kill, so it can be tempting to keep switching it in and out. Don't do this. Let your poor little sea cucumber die.

Rocky Helmet Pyukumuku is a hard counter to physical set-up sweepers and you can consider it a guaranteed victory if your opponent has more than 1.

I actually really love Pyukumuku and I love how many options it brings to the table. I think this is what Game Freak was aiming for with Wobbuffet, but missed the mark due to the lack of sustain you get. If Counter/Mirror Coat reduced damage taken I think Wobb would probably be seen a lot more and would probably be considered a skill-based 'mon. :P As is, its stats and lack of regen mean it's never going to be any good. Pyukumuku on the other hand is perfectly viable and can be played a few different ways to be seriously annoying to your opponents.

Like Furfrou, it has obvious counters (status, immunity to poison, special sweepers without setup, and screen breakers will make Pyuku sad), but they're surprisingly easy to play around with a little smart teambuilding. Honestly though, you can stick Pyukumuku onto a lot of teams and just switch out for it as much as possible to absorb damage that would usually be going to more valuable targets...then to set up screens and maybe to poison someone while you're at it.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:07 AM   #141
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

i fucking love pyukumuku its honestly so cute look at its little mouth butthole
Old 12-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #142
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
So I completed my living Alola Pokedex last night, which means Shiny Charm get! I'm currently breeding a competitive Shiny Rockruff. I'm having it be in a Moon Ball since it is such a great ball for Midnight Lycanroc.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #143
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Finally got around to beating the champion last night with the following squad. Spoilered because I do name the E4 and champion in there and some people will probably have a go at me for it if I don't.

Spoiler: show
Carrie the Brave Ribombee, female, level 58 @ Fairium Z
-Pollen Puff
-Dazzling Gleam
-Quiver Dance
-Energy Ball

Carrie took on a couple of Hala's mons, but didn't do all that much overall. Also made the mistake of leading with her against the champion. If you've seen the champion's team, you will know why this was a mistake.

Requiem the Rash Gengar, female, level 59 @ Ghostium Z
-Shadow Ball
-Dazzling Gleam
-Psychic
-Sludge Bomb

Another one who didn't end up doing too much. I planned to have her wipe Acerola, but her Palossand was bulkier than I anticipated so a Shadow Ball didn't oneshot.

Sizzler the Relaxed Salazzle, female, level 59 @ Firium Z
-Flamethrower
-Toxic
-Dragon Pulse
-Sludge Bomb

Unexpected MVP, carried me against Acerola when Requiem and Carrie both died to the Palossand. Also helped with Skarmory.

Fred the Adamant Mudsdale, male, level 59 @ Soft Sand
-Rock Slide
-Heavy Slam
-Double Kick
-Earthquake

The actual MVP. Carried me through both Olivia and half of Kukui's squad, ending with an anime-style dramatic final battle against his Snorlax.

Henry the Lonely Golisopod, male, level 60 @ Buginium Z
-Liquidation
-Sucker Punch
-Leech Life
-First Impression

Henry... didn't really do anything. The most he ever did was get sacked into Primarina so Aero didn't end up eating a Hydro Vortex.

Demise the Naughty Aerodactyl, male, level 59 @ Flyinium Z
-Iron Head
-Fly
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
Carried me through Kahili and helped a bit on Kukui and Hala too.

Also worth noting: I got through the E4 going in with 56s and 57s, and only used two revives and some oran, sitrus and leppa berries.

My advice from my experiences with the game?
-Don't pick Litten.
-Get a Mudbray.
-Get a Cutiefly early.
-Invest in the Poke Pelago stuff, especially the Isle Abeens and the Isle Aplenty.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:43 PM   #144
Selena
Aroma Lady

Was exited for there being apricorn balls in the game, with actual unique ball animations too. Sadly it's one per game, wtf gamefreak?

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #145
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

One per game sucks, but it beats none per game, at the very least. You just gotta be very selective about how you use 'em. I, for instance, used my Heavy Ball on a Meowth, because the ball is a good fit with Alolan Persian's color scheme.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #146
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I learned that Pokeballs don't always pass down when breeding either. I bred some Mudbray recently. One in a Great Ball, the other in a Pokeball. My eggs were split between the Great and Pokeballs. I even want to say that all the males were in the Great Balls, because the father may have been too.

I'm getting ready to take on the third trial now, but I kinda want to distract myself with a shiny hunt. I'm not sure with what though. I have one Orb to use (when do they unlock in stores?) and some sleep inducers. Sadly they're both Sleep Powder. I missed my chance to get Yawn on my Snorlax when Munchlax evolved (got to 21 during that Mudbray drama on Sunday). Not sure what to go for

Another thing I discovered that everyone else probably knows already... When you level up Pokémon at Festival Plaza, you miss out on level-up moves. I'm tempted to ask someone to take my Zubat and relearn him Confuse Ray.

Team so far -
Dartrix
Charjabug
Mudbray

Hoping to get my hands on a female Snowshrew through GTS soon, so I can breed one. I don't want to wait so long for one. I may also try to get my Mimikyu through GTS too.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #147
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
I learned that Pokeballs don't always pass down when breeding either. I bred some Mudbray recently. One in a Great Ball, the other in a Pokeball. My eggs were split between the Great and Pokeballs. I even want to say that all the males were in the Great Balls, because the father may have been too.
Yeah, they changed a little about how Poké Balls get passed down. If the parents are both the same species, each baby has a 50/50 shot of inheriting either parent's ball. In any other case, it's the female that passes down the ball. One thing that they changed, however, is when breeding with Ditto, the non-Ditto parent will always pass down the ball. Even if that parent is male or genderless.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #148
CyberBlastoise
Team Mother?

Okay, so my friends and I did a quadlocke (basically four of us Nuzlocking it together) and I have to say, this game was very challenging. I had a total of 24 deaths, though I did manage to keep my starters.

The worst part for me was the Grass trial with the Totem Lurantis. It killed four of my six Pokemon, which is a huge number. I had to just stop to grind up practically a new team after that. That was the only time I turned on my Exp. Share, because holy crap, I needed to level up. And I wasn't the only one to suffer that loss. Another friend also lost 4 mons to that b%($@(! too.

The second closest call I had was the fight against Hau before the E4. His Raichu killed 2 of my Pokemon and Koalama killed one other. Although I didn't need the Exp. Share that time and I ended up with a pretty good team. Overall, I came in second due to our own rulings and whatnot.

Here were our final teams:
Me:

Steve the Crobat
Meta Knight the Golisopod
Whispy Woods the Exeggcutor
Chilly the Sandslash
Rick the Lycanroc
Zealand the Primarina

Charles:

Little John the Slowbro
Bland the Muk
Necalli the Mudsdale
Charles the Pangoro
Claire the Salamance
Jean Valjean the Golisopod

James:

Necalli the Mudsdale
Lebowski the Toucannon
McGruff the Lycanroc
Za Warudo the Kommo-o
M. Bison the Wishiwashi
Macho Man the Incineroar

Justin:

Mia the Lurantis
Chelle the Turtonator
Gizmo the Magnezone
Mira the Mimikyu
Azreal the Absol
Karos the Flygon

Quick shout out to Golisopod for being so freaking awesome. I gave my Bulk up and Leech Life and it just tore through physical tanks like it was nothing.

Fizzy Bubbles

PASBL
CyberBlastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:50 AM   #149
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
Yeah, they changed a little about how Poké Balls get passed down. If the parents are both the same species, each baby has a 50/50 shot of inheriting either parent's ball. In any other case, it's the female that passes down the ball. One thing that they changed, however, is when breeding with Ditto, the non-Ditto parent will always pass down the ball. Even if that parent is male or genderless.
Which is good if you're like me and extremely obsessive about who is in what kind of Poke Ball. :')

What can I say...I have an active imagination.

Wish there was a way to switch pokemon out of balls you don't like though. If you want consistency across all your poke balls you have to either go with poke balls or ditch your starter :/ Since there's no way to get it in anything but a poke ball.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:56 AM   #150
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

How does dying clothes work. If I buy a dark navy blue tank top, can I also buy a red or orange one too? Or can you only have one dyed item of a kind at a time?

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON