UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 02-18-2008, 04:06 AM   #326
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Re: big bad birtha's suggestion box 2: secret passions unveiled

I just voted for Kaiji. Oh god, I'm sorry Hosaka.

Still, this IS a gar contest and not a popularity contest. If that's the case, there's no doubt at all that Kaiji is manlier.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:19 AM   #327
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Has the tale of the Tortoise and the Hare taught you nothing, Doppel? *will be amused if Hosaka wins and Doppel is :x about it* I suspect that the Minami-ke horde has not yet shown up and that, when it does, you'll see a spike in Hosaka votes.

Voting for Kaiji. As much as I love Minami-ke over Kaiji (and I do enjoy both series!), Kaiji is for me the more interesting character and the more Gar. It's no contest for me, really. But if Hosaka wins, I'll be happy, and I'll be sure to support him in his fight against Kino or Shark.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #328
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Episode 11 of Gurren Lagann is by far the best one so far. The streak of one disappointment after another has finally been broken!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #329
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

I requested my code last night but didn't vote, and I'm sort of glad I didn't...just cast my vote for Kaiji. Why not Hosaka one might ask? Because the current totals are a DEAD HEAT.

Kaiji - 520
Hosaka - 521

So now I've evened the score. Good luck, Kaiji, this is gonna be a close one!

Oh, in other news I beat Ray Romano last night. So sad! Excellent game I should say.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #330
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Two new subbed Hayates. Two new subbed Shanas- Shana 2 and Shana-Tan!

I've been watching a lot of One Piece lately. I actually dreamed the entire 2nd OP. >>;
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:29 PM   #331
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Do tell me about how you like the new Shana, Loki. Frankly, I was exceptionally pleased with it and this whole arc is going to be simply shining for Yuuji. And the last arc of the series with Sairei no Hebi is going to be "omgfudgewinawesome".

Have you considered watching Baccano!?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #332
Loki

I'm not adding anything new to my Watching List until either Hayate or Shana 2 finishes. I've been having a hard enough time juggling episodes of One Piece in and out of my HD already. I don't think I have enough space to hold an extra show. So unless it comes out on DVD, I won't be watching it for like... 6 weeks?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:45 AM   #333
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

You read the manga of OP, right? Why bother with the anime, then? o_O It's rather low quality and poorly subbed (most of the time) since few if any of the established "good" groups ever go for it. I shouldn't really say bad things about K-F since they're affiliates with Arlong Park but their subbing isn't by any stretch good, and they're rather immoral with their digital edits to try and make the anime more appealing than Naruto (like editing in blood).

On another subject, I think Hayate's going to be a seventy-two episode anime. At least according to some of the talkers at AS.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-19-2008, 02:30 AM   #334
McSweeney
Soul Badge

If you watch the first episode of One Piece and like it, then you're in luck because there's about fifty trillion more episodes for you to enjoy.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-19-2008, 03:16 AM   #335
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Oh, gay. I guess Kaiji lost. When the episode 19 subs come out though I don't think Kaiji fans will give a shit anymore.

Dopple I see you on 4chan right now! When I post there I use the name "Male Tsundere". It's kind of annoying, but I have to admit that a fast moving image board like that is an excellent way to absorb a shitload of anime knowledge in a short amount of time. I have to stop going there because there's too many spoilers.

I've also been to Talon's home, iichan, and they tend to just post pictures and not talk much.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #336
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm currently doing stupid stuff (procrastinating my IO homework to 2:44 AM @_@) which is why I'm up during this ungodly hour. If you think it's fast right now, you haven't seen anything yet! This is right now "nightshift /a/", a period where serious discussion and cordiality of two years ago resurfaces since most of the high school/junior high kids are asleep by now. The topics are moving at a snail's pace! Compared with iichan I guess it's fast, but the turnover rates are very low right now - I can come back to a topic an hour later and it's still there. You should play mahjong right now, if anyone's up I'll see if they're available.

Just saw Rosario 07 and Shana 18. OK Rosario, sort of sucks I couldn't here Kugumiya Rie's mature woman voice, but excellent Shana for Yuuji fans. I've got Ghost Hound but I'm re-reading the excellent Negima! chapter since it's so great.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-19-2008, 06:17 AM   #337
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney
I've also been to Talon's home, iichan, and they tend to just post pictures and not babble like idiots or say creepy things like sex offenders.
Fixed.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #338
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I actually was playing Mahjong for a while, I'm 1 kyu and trying to break through to 1 dan. I'm pretty sure I was set back pretty badly though when I got absolutely destroyed one session. I think I got Ron'd three times in a row, then to cap off the round, I was DOUBLE RON'D at the very end.

The more you struggle ... the more you get stuck.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-19-2008, 07:06 AM   #339
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Let's play now. When you get to 1 Dan what's cool is a new room opens up for Dan-only players, and most of the time the first two lobbies are empty so we can play a ranked game against one another just like at MahjongTime! Anyway I'm going to call down some people, I'll see you there. One game then I'll try to force myself to sleep.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #340
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Oh darn, you guys are too into that 3 player crap.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-19-2008, 07:49 AM   #341
Talon87
時の彼方へ

BBB ... in Fizzy Bubbles Time Out, we've been discussing how two emo kids have copied UPN's threads and Fizzy Bubbles architecture. Click here to see the relevant first post of Tess's and here to see how they've copied your suggestion box post verbatim but changed the thread title to make it seem like they made it.

Apparently you have a secret admirer, BBB. Only a truly depraved stalker could want to emulate your wacky sense of humor and pass it off as his own.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #342
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I'm a bit jealous that nobody did that with my posts. All my posts are works of art!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #343
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Copy + pasted from FBTO just because it's as relevant here as there.

XFD, they copied my Anime Member Statuses thread. This makes no sense for them to do (a) because they only have two members, and the point of the thread is for a multi-user community to keep track of what everyone else is watching, and (b) because a lot of the fields he's copied from my post (2nd in both the real thread and his thread) don't apply to him at all. Like "Japanese proficiency." Why the fuck bother to put that field there if the answer is "none" and you only have one other friend on the forum who already KNOWS that? Idiot.

Tess, are these two flunkies perhaps kids who failed the FB Registration test? This doesn't strike me as history repeating itself with "getting revenge against Talon87 and all of his friends by COPYING HIS POSTS AND PASSING THEM OFF AS MY OWN! :O OMG BBQ HAX!", but you never know. VaanAshe's obsession with Naruto certainly leads me to believe that he could be the same emo prick whose feelings I heart years ago. Maybe he's (literally, clinically) psychotic and has developed some sort of fixation around me and you guys by proxy. O_o Or maybe my self-important imagination :P is just running wild right now and he's a random script kiddie. I dunno.

I'm sorely tempted to post a thread in the Misc Disc titled "VaanAshe sucks cock" and for the first post in the thread to read "Why don't you copy this thread while you're at it?", but he'd obviously just change the title to "Xuande sucks cock" or something. The insult would completely miss its mark. He's "I Know What You Are But What Am I?" personified, brought to life, embodied in a 15 year old Narutard.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #344
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
BBB ... in Fizzy Bubbles Time Out, we've been discussing how two emo kids have copied UPN's threads and Fizzy Bubbles architecture. Click here to see the relevant first post of Tess's and here to see how they've copied your suggestion box post verbatim but changed the thread title to make it seem like they made it.

Apparently you have a secret admirer, BBB. Only a truly depraved stalker could want to emulate your wacky sense of humor and pass it off as his own.
That's annoying. They need to find their own home for sexiness. -_-; It kind of sucks that the link is dead, because I wanted to see what they had, so I could completely knock everything they said down.

Also, I'm glad to know that ONLY a truly depraved stalker would want to copy the things I say >.>

I'm currently downloading a game called Higurashi Daybreak. I'm not too crazy about playing it, but everyone on the chat is going to start, and since it's created by Twilight Frontier, (Makers of EFZ, IaMP, Patchcon, SWR, and Megamari =3) I decided I'd check it out. Well, off to play Underwaterrayromano.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #345
Loki

That link is down now, which kills the comedy.

Anyway, in response to DCD, I am watching the anime, not reading the manga. I personally don't care if the subs are inaccurate unless they're sooo inaccurate that Luffy says we should love Jesus and KF says that Luffy said we should make love to donkeys.

The reason I don't read the manga is simply because reading manga on a computer sucks. Unless I see someone get penetrated by someone else, I'm not going to bother reading it.

And where exactly did you get your Japanese degree? Because I hate when people say fansubbers are inaccurate unless they have some kind of background in speaking Japanese. I'm not saying you're lying, but it's not an argument that will make me stop watching a show unless you're fluent and capable of [il]legally living in Japan without any speaking problems.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #346
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Arlong Park has its own Japanese translators and they frequently criticize K-F's quality of work (particularly because there are no native speakers on staff), but that's not why I'm critical of them. I'm critical because they're "weeaboo" fansubbers - people who deliberately leave words untranslated to make their subs more attractive and try to sell One Piece off as more unique than it is. It grates the staff to no end to hear people refer to Luffy's crew as his "nakama" - whenever I see someone use that term, it's painfully obvious they're K-F watchers. I'm also against people watching K-F because they digitally edit their raws to, again, make One Piece look more attractive than Naruto and Bleach. In several instances they've recolored spit into blood and added blood to make the show look more hardcore, which is insulting to the series.

If there was any other group doing OP I'd immediately recommend switching over to them, but groups doing the series are usually temporary alliances of not very capable folk that break up after a while. K-F's only real competition two years ago was Gerusama, which collapsed; following this, we had about a year of ADC which started off poorly ("dare da = wtf!") but exceeded K-F, and now we have Vegapunk. When you get close to Water 7/Enies Lobby, I implore you to switch away from K-F and go onto Vegapunk. I haven't seen Vegapunk first hand, but the 4channers have said many a good thing about them, and not many of them know what I do about K-F.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #347
Loki

I know there are other subbers for OP, but many have said they don't have the early episodes. Most from what I've heard pick up where K-F died down. So when I get to like... 200~ish area, I'll probably switch over.

I personally don't give a shit about blood content. I actually dislike it when it makes no sense. Like when people get punched in the stomach and cough blood. I'm no doctor, but if you got punched in the stomach and spit blood, your digestive tract is probably so fucked up, you'd never be able to each solid food again, especially if you keep fighting. If that punch fucked up your lungs, you're more fucked and you probably can't fight even if you wanted to. While it is a mockery of the actual stuff, I generally don't care. I didn't make One Piece. I just want to see it play out.

I don't care about 'Nakama.' My brain auto-translates that as friend/companion/whatever actually fits. I figured it was just them being too lazy to specify, not them being weeaboo about it.

Anyway, I'm not picky about specifics like you seem to be. If Luffy becomes Pirate King, and it's translated, "Luffy is the Pirate Emperor!" I don't care. And as long as it's better than 4Kids, I'm willing to watch it. If Funimation does all the first 143(?) unedited, more accurate, and dual audio, I'll probably buy that. But there's not a fuck's chance I'll be watching OP 4Kid's style.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #348
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm still waiting for somebody to release the original Pokemon on R1 DVDs with English subs. Ain't gonna happen. One Piece has just as much chance of seeing a redub / resub of the 4Kids episodes. Maybe a little better, but not by much. It's like comparing a snowball's chances in Tuscon vs. a snowball's chances in Acapulco.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #349
Loki

Well, all of DBZ was redone by Funimation, I don't see why OP can't be so lucky.

Meanwhile, Pokémon was taken up by the Pokémon Company, which I'm sure doesn't care about remaking the first 8(?) seasons, as they've already profited from them.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #350
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
I personally don't give a shit about blood content. I actually dislike it when it makes no sense. Like when people get punched in the stomach and cough blood. I'm no doctor, but if you got punched in the stomach and spit blood, your digestive tract is probably so fucked up, you'd never be able to each solid food again, especially if you keep fighting. If that punch fucked up your lungs, you're more fucked and you probably can't fight even if you wanted to. While it is a mockery of the actual stuff, I generally don't care. I didn't make One Piece. I just want to see it play out.
That's their most common edit. When you get to the Sanji v. Mr. 2 Bon Kurei fight, let me just say there was a lot less blood in the original DVD rip.

Quote:
I don't care about 'Nakama.' My brain auto-translates that as friend/companion/whatever actually fits. I figured it was just them being too lazy to specify, not them being weeaboo about it.
dythim wrote an article in AP a couple years ago arguing why "nakama" in the context of OP was somehow "untranslatable" and therefore deserved to be left intact, which is about as weeaboo as fansubbers can get. That's not really the only untranslated word, though, just the biggest offender. I can't remember off of the top of my head but they've also got other words just thrown in there as well (kaizoku-dan? Man it's been a while).

Quote:
But there's not a fuck's chance I'll be watching OP 4Kid's style.
I'm actually pretty OK with most of what 4Kids did - getting on the "they kill intellectual property" train is something only fourteen year olds really do anymore, I fail to see why people continue to be upset about it to this day. It's just a show, jeez.

One thing I can't stand is how people are as pro-FUNimation as they are anti-4Kids. During the 4Kids dub I defended 4Kids' edits while imploring I wanted FUNimation, now it's almost impossible to throw out criticism of the FUNimation dub because the rabid newfolk over at AP will swarm over with insults and disruptions. It's really un-cordial, I miss how things were in 2005.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
I'm still waiting for somebody to release the original Pokemon on R1 DVDs with English subs. Ain't gonna happen. One Piece has just as much chance of seeing a redub / resub of the 4Kids episodes. Maybe a little better, but not by much. It's like comparing a snowball's chances in Tuscon vs. a snowball's chances in Acapulco.
It's more than likely FUNimation will do a redub, though I doubt Pokemon will ever be as privileged to get a subtitled release. We'll be seeing Pokemon OVAs in Japan before a subbed R1 ever graces our shores.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime