UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork

Old 08-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Long posts won't display for some users (debug)

I didn't want to derail the Gen 7 discussion any further, so ... migrating this over to here. Ironically, I'll be placing the relevant quotes inside a spoiler tag so that the member affected can (hopefully) load this post.

Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Quote:
Spoiler tags are generally a good idea for longer posts it must be said. I know I would benefit from people doing it with posts like Talon's. Quite aside from it being polite it really does affect loading times, particularly on mobile devices.
A wall of puretext has nowhere near the impact on a mobile that your avatar has. It's text. It loads instantly. What you should be complaining about are the people who have images in their signatures that are over 1 megabyte in file size. Also -- only really applicable if you have an iPhone -- animated gifs. Because God knows why but they devastate iOS Safari.

Seriously, I could paste dump here the first 10% of War and Peace and it'd load faster on your phone than half of the users' signatures. When it comes to bandwidth, text is dirt cheap.

Here, test it for yourself if you don't believe me: the first eighty pages of Kokoro by Natsume Souseki.

Putting that aside, plentiful spoiler tags are hideous and do more harm than help. I use colored headers on occasion because they serve the same general purpose (helping to attract the eye to topic sentences and visually demarcating the post's sections) while avoiding the garishness of those hideous spoiler tags. There's a reason you'll not often find me using more than one spoiler tag at the root level of a post: because it tends to look awful.

Quote:
Do agree with much of what Talon says. The whole IM thing is defininitely not something I would implement if I were Nintendo, though. If you want to IM you've plenty of ways to do it, and on many of those mediums there are abuses of it every minute. I'd not touch it with a barge pole if I were making Pokémon battling mechanisms.
At the end of the day, they allow us to communicate directly to friends via microphone yet they don't allow us to text them. That's dumb. You've already let the criminal into the child's bedroom (via the mic), so why are you locking the millions of innocent people out of texting? So long as they permit friends to communicate via microphone in Pokémon games, they're guilty of idiotic but well-intended design.

When I see an IRL friend of mine online in Pokémon, I have to take hold of my cell phone and start text messaging him, juggling the phone in one hand and the 2DS in the other, because Nintendo won't let me send him a 140-character message in game. You can say, "Well then! You've found a working solution, haven't you? No need for Nintendo to give you the fix you've asked for, ;P" but that's like saying that I've become expeditious at removing cockroaches from my salad and thus the cockroach-infested kitchen I'm forced to eat at Tuesdays and Thursdays shouldn't have to clean up their act. No. I should not be having to manually remove cockroaches from any food I order. And I should not have to be relying on other networks (cell phone text messaging, Twitter, Facebook, web forums, what have you) to communicate simple, game-related messages to fellow players who are online with me in the game.

How about I put it to you this way -- Imagine if World of Warcraft forced players to communicate the way that Nintendo does. Imagine if it allowed players to communicate directly via microphones and headphones but it had no chatroom to speak of. Imagine if the only text messages that players could flash on screen to one another were limited to 16 characters at a time. "Let's go to Westmarch to farm some drops," you want to tell your friend ... and you end up having to rename some item in your inventory "WESTMARCH DROPS?" to fit a character limit ... and you have to take him out of the universe, into a P2P trading window where all the two of you can see are items in your respective inventories and one item of the other person's at a time ... and then you keep flashing the "WESTMARCH DROPS?" item in his face again and again, hoping he gets it. And then he thinks you want to trade him a sledgehammer (the item you renamed) and offers to give you cotton in exchange for it. It'd be like that. Players resort to communicating via nicknamed Pokémon in XY right now and it's hilariously limited and, if the other player doesn't understand that this is a thing that is done, ineffective.
I'm afraid you're wrong on loading times, Talon, I often end up with half posts loaded on mobile internet. And to be quite honest hitting Ctrl A, the Quote button in the reply box and replacing QUOTE with SPOILER takes like five seconds of your time. It's just a courtesy. GIFs are the same, as you say, and nested spoilers are indeed awful.

I don't know what to tell you, but it's not (or should not be) the text length:
  • The first eighty pages of Kokoro weigh in at 145 kilobytes.
    • Simple arithmetic, one average page of Kokoro would equate 1.81 kilobytes.
    • Your avatar weighs in at 10.6 kilobytes.
    • So again simple arithmetic, your avatar equates to as much data as 5.85 pages of a novel.
  • My sig pic weighs in at 75.47 kilobytes.
    • So my sig pic roughly equals forty pages of a novel.
  • This pic that Red just embedded in the ASB TO weighs in at over 490 kilobytes.
    • So we could fit nearly the entire novel of Kokoro into the same amount of bandwidth as this one picture took up.
I'm not going to sit here and argue with you about how your phone works. You're the one with the phone and you're also an intelligent man. If you say that your phone has difficulty loading large fields of text, then I believe you. But so long as it seems the problem is yours and your phone's, I'm not going to distress myself for your convenience. And I'm more than happy to be a team player too. No super racy signatures because we have kids again. No large signatures because of iOS users. (I even de-animated gif'd my current sig pic before uploading it for that very reason! For that very concern of courtesy!) Providing clickable YouTube links for mobile users who only see a "BORKED" otherwise when YouTube videos are embedded. (To date I appear to be the only veteran member who has even bothered to do this. Everyone else is a fucking lazy git when it comes to YouTube embeds. [/unapologetic]) I do what I can to help out, even when it does inconvenience me. But what you're asking for is too much. "Dissect your posts, which are always long, into many fugly mini-posts separated by spoiler tags so that my mobile can load them. " You're literally the first person I've ever heard tell me that they cannot load my posts because of their length.

Think of it this way: the post I provided above, the one you're claiming you can't fully load ... how much shorter is it than a typical Fizzy Bubbles zone update? If your mobile can load a post like this, then surely it can load a post like mine. If it's able to successfully load one and not the other, then this is a tech glitch we (i.e. Kuno and moo and Morg and I and whoever else that wants to help out) should investigate and try to fix. If you can't load either post, then what: would you ask Tess to start breaking her posts up into spoiler boxes by paragraph from now on? (Were you to join FB, that is. For the purposes of this conversation, please just say you were. -.-)

It should not be an issue of data. Provably, my posts are miniscule compared to the images on this site. It probably has something to do with how your phone's browser and how Kuno's version of vBulletin do not play nicely with one another. I would not be surprised to discover that you can load my posts perfectly fine when posted on other sites or in other ways. For example, if you were able to load Kokoro up just fine, then clearly you have no problem with loading puretext as that site is purposely Web 0.0.1 when it comes to how advanced its HTML is. If even Kokoro was giving you trouble, then I would still insist that it can't be a data issue -- not if you're not complaining about standard avatars and signatures -- and that it has to be some weird property of your mobile's browser when it comes to loading too much text in a window at once.

Here. Try this out. Here's one of my posts on Bulbagarden. I grabbed one that seemed particularly long to try and help you identify whether the problem is with how your mobile plays with Kuno's vBulletin version or not. In case that one doesn't load, here's a shorter one (four paragraphs). And here's one with some quote boxes and foreign characters. If you can load all three, then identify for me a post of mine on UPN that you cannot load fully. And I'll see how its size compares with the three BMG samples.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #2
Mercutio
Banned

Talon can you just use spoiler tags on long things like this please? Maybe there isn't a tech issue and you're right but it's very easy for you to do and makes everyone else's lives much essier. You routinely make posts full of BBCode and smileys that are TL;DR and some people don't want to have to scroll through that. Like, I'm not trying to single you out, but is routinely your posts that are TL;DR and slow people down. Thanks.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Talon can you just use spoiler tags on long things like this please? Maybe there isn't a tech issue and you're right but it's very easy for you to do and makes everyone else's lives much essier. You routinely make posts full of BBCode and smileys that are TL;DR and some people don't want to have to scroll through that. Like, I'm not trying to single you out, but is routinely your posts that are TL;DR and slow people down. Thanks.
Show me these people.

And also answer every last one of the diagnostic questions. Or else it's a flat "NO THANK YOU" from me.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
Mercutio
Banned

No, I'm not going to forcibly drag people in to this if they don't want to be involved, but it has been something which is occasionally mentioned by a number of others for quite some time. As I say, not singling you out but you are often one of the main culprits for this and it really doesn't take any effort at all for you to fix.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
No, I'm not going to forcibly drag people in to this if they don't want to be involved, but it has been something which is occasionally mentioned by a number of others for quite some time. As I say, not singling you out but you are often one of the main culprits for this and it really doesn't take any effort at all for you to fix.
I am trying to help you but you are insisting on distasteful and forced behavior modification for a problem that appears to be no one's but your own. And to that I say politely say "No thanks." This is the last time I am going to ask:

Q1. Does this post load completely for you?

Q2. Does this post load completely for you?

Q3. Does this post load completely for you?

Q4. Does this post load completely for you?

Four simple questions with what ought to be four simple answers to help get the ball rolling. I am less interesting in changing how I post and more interested in identifying what is causing this problem for you. If you don't share that interest and are only interested in the perverse social experiment that is "Cry wolf and get Talon to change how he does things," then we can end it here.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
I can personally vouch that scrolling through your longer posts has been somewhat of a pain on my mobile devices....but yeah.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
Mercutio
Banned

1. Took two seconds
2. Takes literally half a minute
3. Takes like 10 seconds (possibly these two are bulba issues)
4. Takes like 10 seconds

It is as much your posting style as the loading time which is an issue. It physically takes time to scroll through your posts and the superfluos additions only add to that problem. If you're too lazy or personally averse to do this simple thing then fine, it's not a major issue for me and I don't think it is for others either.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

What is this "posting style" you refer to? There are more gifs, BBCODE tags, and text in the FB update post than in any of the others.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Which is why people in FB update in size 1. It's because scrolling through years and years of long text gets boring. In the Debate forum, there's no problem with it, because it's meant to be like that(though still, simply quoting walls of texts is not something that should be done- replace with a spoiler, edit it to say the points, or wrap it in a spoiler). However, I think it's basic courtesy to wrap your post in a spoiler if you make a 1000-word long post where otherwise people are not making such posts.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This is a thread for identifying why long posts don't load for some members, not a dropbox for unsolicited and insulting "advice" on how to be a better poster. Don't like long posts? Don't read them. This thread is neither the time not the place to complain about them.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:11 AM   #11
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

No, Talon, Mercutio made a request because it wasn't loading and I'm making the same request because it's a waste of people's times who don't want to read yours, or anyone else's posts at that very moment. I'm not complaining about those posts, because we need proper, constructive posts for good discussion, I'm saying that they need to be collapsed.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:04 AM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I am not going to wear a burka just because you don't like looking at my face. Kush says that my face is causing him to have epileptic seizures. I've still no interest in wearing the burka, but I would like to find out what is the specific nature of his epilepsy and if something else can be done to fix it.

Translation: the sheer notion that long posts have to forever go inside of spoiler tags is preposterous at best. We may as well ask while we're at it that all animated gifs larger than 400 KB be placed inside of spoiler tags, that posts made by Indians go in spoiler tags, and that every last one of UnpopularMember999's posts go inside of spoiler tags. The complaints "wah, wah, Talon's posts are tough on my fingers to scroll through, wah" are truly pathetic. Come on, guys. You can wade through pages of shit every day in a a Time Out but you can't scroll past one tl;dr you don't want to read without getting a blister? Literally unbelievable. I'm trying to help with Kush's problem because it sounds like he has a legit tech error. But the "I don't want to have to scroll T_T" complaints are insulting on multiple levels.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:11 AM   #13
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I'm siding with Talon here. Asking people to not make long posts, or to hide them on a MESSAGE BOARD is an f'ing ridiculous demand. I have a solution to this problem: don't use your stupid phone to browse a message board. I personally can't stand browsing the Internet on a phone, but if you insist on doing so, then be prepared to suffer the annoyances that ought to be expected when using a tiny little screen.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:27 AM   #14
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

I can extend the same argument to "Don't surf the internet unless you're on a 4K monitor with 1 GBps internet" and get a 500 MB 1920*1080 image as my signature. The reason I'm not doing so(and presumably why Kuno enforced size limits) is because I realise other people are on this message board for whom it's completely impractical to always be using a computer in the first place- hell, probably a significant part of UPN accesses it through a mobile device at least once a week- and don't want to have to continually scroll past huge images which, to them, contribute nothing.

Just because it's a message board wouldn't justify me posting the entire text of War and Peace anytime I want to make a point. This is not a message board dedicated to philosophy, this is a pokemon message board and the average message is definitely below 200 words in length, even if you leave out "spammy" posts. I think that if you have the least bit of consideration to others you would spoiler anything above ~800 words(which, for an example, is in the spoiler below: )

Spoiler: show

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Morbi at urna massa. Integer tincidunt est neque, at aliquam velit fermentum non. Aenean ut mauris scelerisque, condimentum nisl id, hendrerit quam. In non elit at velit tempus vestibulum. Nulla tortor eros, egestas sit amet tortor sit amet, placerat euismod odio. Phasellus porttitor ultrices lacus, id elementum orci congue in. Donec ultricies tortor nec blandit maximus. Fusce non posuere nisl, at aliquet erat. Nunc eget tortor vel massa congue vehicula. Sed convallis sed velit a consequat. Proin facilisis odio orci, placerat cursus odio varius et.

Etiam a tincidunt nibh. Quisque vestibulum faucibus pulvinar. Praesent efficitur, metus tempus varius ultrices, metus magna volutpat nulla, efficitur bibendum diam lectus sed leo. Phasellus nisl ipsum, feugiat quis massa ac, scelerisque luctus magna. Donec porta quam felis, a interdum eros ultricies quis. Sed eget nunc id mauris ultricies fermentum at pulvinar nisl. Suspendisse luctus vitae quam at facilisis. Sed ornare felis at eros ultricies, a malesuada diam ullamcorper. Aliquam pretium imperdiet lacus, at semper risus feugiat vel. Donec ut eros massa.

Praesent consequat risus id leo vehicula, a ornare libero efficitur. Nulla faucibus sem in dolor auctor, vel rhoncus tortor ultrices. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Fusce tempor lectus laoreet lorem vulputate, dapibus malesuada velit fringilla. Vestibulum ut neque sodales, vehicula nibh quis, mattis ligula. Quisque dolor tellus, pharetra ut purus non, suscipit finibus nunc. Etiam in nunc rhoncus, luctus felis vel, aliquet odio. Maecenas condimentum, leo vitae mollis varius, lacus ipsum elementum dui, vel aliquet eros dolor eu arcu. Praesent id libero sed enim consectetur viverra. Etiam sed tincidunt metus. Nunc commodo tincidunt ultrices. Etiam hendrerit ipsum vel volutpat imperdiet. Nunc dui turpis, maximus sed est euismod, auctor placerat nisl. Praesent condimentum sapien placerat dictum blandit. Nulla facilisis est neque, vitae sollicitudin augue pellentesque et. Integer feugiat vitae urna at laoreet.

Sed euismod sem maximus, tincidunt lorem vel, scelerisque tellus. Donec posuere tincidunt lorem non molestie. Integer pretium magna pulvinar, pellentesque est vitae, consectetur diam. Mauris interdum magna vel massa dignissim mollis. Curabitur ipsum ligula, maximus sit amet tempor eget, vestibulum quis lacus. Sed feugiat tortor et ante ultricies ullamcorper. Aenean interdum, turpis at ullamcorper condimentum, mauris ipsum varius eros, id volutpat quam sapien in augue. Suspendisse potenti. Nunc commodo ante non leo lobortis, vel auctor ligula vestibulum. Maecenas vulputate leo sit amet diam elementum eleifend. Fusce nunc lorem, dapibus eu accumsan in, luctus vel mi. Mauris vulputate laoreet libero. Mauris sed faucibus lorem, in aliquam nulla. Nunc id ligula et augue porta lobortis quis vitae diam. Vestibulum arcu turpis, fringilla eget mattis id, vehicula eget lectus.

Aenean nulla eros, luctus quis luctus vitae, rhoncus sit amet sem. Suspendisse sagittis, tortor eu gravida consequat, felis augue tincidunt dui, vitae accumsan ex diam sed nunc. Integer ultrices feugiat sapien et lobortis. Nam sit amet eros convallis, fermentum ligula vitae, luctus nisl. Nam rutrum nisi non ante facilisis molestie. Duis fringilla, tortor sed fermentum tristique, nibh nunc venenatis leo, a cursus neque nunc et sapien. In auctor ullamcorper justo id sagittis. Vivamus pulvinar aliquam vestibulum.

Integer sagittis, urna non semper gravida, ante risus interdum sapien, id vehicula sapien erat maximus metus. Vivamus convallis erat id purus fringilla, non condimentum dolor aliquam. Cras ultricies arcu nec mattis tempor. Suspendisse quis libero non arcu fringilla lobortis sed at libero. Quisque a mi sit amet metus dapibus pharetra. Vivamus auctor magna eu iaculis posuere. Praesent et sem ullamcorper, fringilla orci eu, suscipit nisi. Mauris mattis nunc in nulla ornare tempus. Cras ultrices nec purus at consectetur. In pharetra massa a dolor aliquet tempor eget at lectus. Aenean tellus ante, egestas fermentum tempor sagittis, efficitur eu lacus. Fusce lacinia urna congue, porta nisl eu, tincidunt ligula. Mauris semper lacus quam, at rutrum ligula viverra vel.

Nulla vitae pretium ante. Ut at nibh at mauris commodo auctor quis non arcu. Duis facilisis facilisis pulvinar. Vestibulum aliquam ac nisl vel ullamcorper. Sed interdum lobortis orci, eu blandit diam gravida eget. Donec sit amet odio molestie, imperdiet mi non, commodo ipsum. Vestibulum cursus quam non tellus pretium ornare. Nulla euismod nibh ligula, sit amet dictum arcu cursus sed. Pellentesque maximus ligula et odio dictum ornare.

Pellentesque libero erat, iaculis in molestie aliquam, hendrerit gravida magna. Maecenas consequat leo volutpat laoreet efficitur. Duis suscipit tincidunt elit id pulvinar. Vivamus fermentum, orci vel viverra vulputate, leo odio imperdiet sapien, eget luctus elit elit placerat ipsum. Pellentesque accumsan venenatis turpis, ut eleifend odio luctus eu. Curabitur mollis ipsum quis ultricies pulvinar. Proin laoreet magna eros, in suscipit lorem pretium in. Sed hendrerit pretium sapien, in pharetra mauris vestibulum quis. Quisque sed placerat lectus. Donec facilisis lacus quis interdum pellentesque. Aliquam fringilla, lorem nec gravida dapibus, felis enim placerat ipsum, eu condimentum massa tortor at dui. Aliquam erat volutpat. In ut urna quis velit sodales mattis eu et.

I'm not asking this because I "don't like looking at your face" and I'm definitely not asking this for you alone, Talon, I'm just taking this thread as a good opportunity to request anyone who thinks it's necessary(and it might well be) to post an 800 word post in a thread made up of otherwise small posts: Use a spoiler tag. Don't even have to hide the entire post, leave the first paragraph in there, that's an easy way for anyone who's really interested to click open and continue reading while leaving everyone else happy.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:58 AM   #15
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
I can extend the same argument to "Don't surf the internet unless you're on a 4K monitor with 1 GBps internet" and get a 500 MB 1920*1080 image as my signature.
Believe it or not, people still use 56K modems and can't watch YouTube on them. It's close to technically impossible for them to do so, and much of the internet is moving in a way that requires Flash and JavaScript in heavy doses. For those people, their choice is living in the world of 56K or moving on to Web 2.0.

When you post on a forum, you're making a contentious decision to yield to that older technology. Forums weren't intended to be used on mobile phones and aren't being redesigned to be "phone phriendly" in the same way Dictionary.com and Wikia is. So, asking the 56K user to upgrade for one's convenience when one is on his level of technology seems just a bit unreasonable.

Quote:

The reason I'm not doing so(and presumably why Kuno enforced size limits) is because I realise other people are on this message board for whom it's completely impractical to always be using a computer in the first place- hell, probably a significant part of UPN accesses it through a mobile device at least once a week- and don't want to have to continually scroll past huge images which, to them, contribute nothing.

My advice: before customizing others, customize yourself. This is how I view all the forums anyway - I don't see any avatars or sigs, and images always default to links, so I don't suffer any finger fatigue or loading lag. Even with max posts per page (which, for the record, makes it easier to read mass text since I can scroll and not have to move to a new page).

Quote:

This is not a message board dedicated to philosophy, this is a pokemon message board
Last time I checked, there were different subforums for Debate and Pokemon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:14 AM   #16
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

There's a difference between "We can't adjust for 56k modems" and "We can't adjust for an iPad" just like there's a difference between "We can't adjust if you're using a millimetre screen" and "Don't have 4K monitor? Do you even lift bro?".

Secondly, that's all fine and dandy but it doesn't change the fact that superlarge avatars, sigs, images etc are extremely annoying to everyone else which is why Kuno banned sig images above a certain size and it's general courtesy to spoiler tag huge images.

Thirdly, that's my entire point. Post all you want in the Debate forum, I have absolutely no objections. But if you want to make 800 word posts in the Hoenn Confirmed thread, for instance(and seriously this is not meant to be any kind of personal insult, most such posts are high quality), wrap it in a spoiler tag please.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:17 AM   #17
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Who said anything about allowing huge images? We're not asking people to get 4K monitors and 1 GBps Internet so they can suck it up and deal with giant avatars and signatures.

And no, it's not "basic courtesy" to hide posts above 800 words on a message board. I literally never heard of this "rule" in my entire 19 years of using the Internet until I came here and discovered a bunch of entitled phone users demanding that people cater to them and their tiny little screens.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 08-30-2014, 06:20 AM   #18
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

That's cool and all, but your being 19 years on the internet has nothing to do with the discussion and frankly you sound like the entitled prick if you're basically saying "NO WE WILL NOT GIVE PEOPLE WHO BROWSE UPN ON THEIR MOBILE DEVICES THE SIMPLE COURTESY OF A SPOILER TAG." 19 years ago there were no mobile phones capable of accessing the internet, so in my view it's completely irrelevant. Don't shove your "veteran" into other people's faces and use it as a reason. Especially don't try to argue against people using mobile phones on the internet if you just admitted you never do it.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #19
McSweeney
Soul Badge

So let me get this straight: I am now living in a world where it's considered rude to leave an 800 word post in plain sight on a message board? BUT WAIT, it's okay to do it in certain sections of the board, such as the Debate forum, because that's what it's all about! But this is the Pokemon section damn it, and there's no need to make any 800 word posts about Pokemon, and if you really have to, for gods sake cover that shit up so people don't have to deal with it.

How do you handle message boards that don't even have spoiler tags? Do you kick up a big shit and ask that people limit their posts outside of the Philosophy Essays section to under 800 words so you aren't inconvenienced?

I don't get it bros, I just don't get it.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 08-30-2014, 06:57 AM   #20
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

I don't go to too many other message boards and the ones I used to either have a similar courtesy rule(most parts of Serebii) or are for serious discussion all the time anyway(Smogon). I don't come to UPN for serious discussion every bit of the time. That's why it's fine in the Debate forum, because you go to the Debate forum for serious discussions. That's fine, if, say, you want to have a serious discussion over how Smogon is banning too many things and make a thread about it.

Is it not the same thing with, say, ORAS spoilers? I could say "Dude seriously why the hell are you on a message board if you don't want to deal with spoilers do you go around the internet and tell people to not spoil you" but the simple thing is that people on UPN show a clear divide. There are threads for spoilers and there are threads where absolutely no spoilers. It's a question of courtesy, I don't call people "entitled" because they're asking someone else to spend two seconds on a spoiler in that case and in this case.

But fine if you don't. It's no skin off my back, because I only rarely browse UPN on a phone and I use a mouse, not a trackpad, so I can scroll easily. But I'm asking you to think about the people who do those things and they are not the minority. Since we do have spoiler tags, why not use them?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #21
Mercutio
Banned

Woops.

Look if people don't want to put everything in a spoiler tag then fine, it's not that big of a deal, we all have the time to sit around doing nothing on the internet instead of walking miles for clean water or getting shot at by Islamic militants. This is very much a courtesy thing from the perception of some users including myself and courtesy isn't as important here as in the real world. It's a real first world problem.

However, long posts, full of smileys, BBCode and/or GIFs, show people down in terms of loading speeds and slow people down in terms of having to physically wade through it all. Subheadings are useful but they don't solve the fundamental problem. It is basic politeness to compensate for this in your posting habits. Clearly there are some threads where you're going to have a lot of very long posts all of the time i.e. quality role playing threads, ASB legend battles. But in chat threads, or debate threads, or pretty much anywhere else really, you're just being inconsiderate. It's the internet, everyone is inconsiderate, but this alteration to your habits is very simple to do. Recall the time when everyone wanted to avoid Pokémon spoilers but couldn't muster the sense to stop going on a Pokémon forum, pretty much everyone adapted and started using spoiler tags and threads. It can be done, even if you personally find it distasteful.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So the truth comes out. This was never about cell phone loading times for you. This was about the "inconsideration" of long posts and emoticon usage.

I think we're done here. Good luck with the phone troubles.

Pretty fucking unbelievable what some people consider "courtesy" these days. "It's common courtesy to not be so talkative" ... fuck me, man. Might as well tell me to jump off a bridge ...
Old 08-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #23
Mercutio
Banned

Grow up, Talon.

I made it clear from the outset that it was a multi faceted issue, not specifically targeted at you or anyone else, and that several people felt this way to variations and degrees. You're the one choosing not to alter your behaviour in respect of these concerns, do not be so disrespectful as to accuse me of dishonesty from multiple angles when I have already said twice that it's not a major issue if you wish to maintain these habits.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #24
deh74
Noted homosexual

The only good thing about this thread/argument is all the food on Dave's plate in Kush's avatar.

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #25
Mercutio
Banned

Man I hated him so much for that. But he gave me a tomato and a mushroom so it was ok.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork