UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork

Old 06-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Mewtwo 10 Years of Greatness - UPN Day

It's been a long road. Today marks 10 years of UPN greatness. The site started out as a huge website, useful to everyone. Huge forums too. Now, not so much. But our greatness is still there.

So in celebration, for today only, I will bestow upon you some greatness as well. Simply post something in this thread related to UPN and you will get the ability to permanantly change your user title, to anything you want, whenever you want. Now, don't just post "UPN r great" and expect a free ride. Let's share stories of how you got here, interesting UPN things that will stick out in your mind, etc etc.

Remember, this offer will only last from midnight, June 19 EST till the 20th EST. Thanks everyone for helping make UPN super awesome. <3

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
Mr. XXXXXXXX
Uncooperative Artist

[Kissup="Mr. XXXXXXXX"]Wow. 10 years. I came to UPN to be in the PASBL, but after being here for almost a month, I would say this is a good place to just say and do whatever without having to be right on the rules with everything. This is the best forum I've ever been to, maintain by one of the most awesomest beings on earth.[/Kissup]

Last edited by Mr. XXXXXXXX; 06-18-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Mr. XXXXXXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

Congrats on ten long years. For me it's pretty obvious what sticks out--all the PASBL stuff and some FB stuff to a lesser extent, though I did lurk/post on some of the other forums too.

As to how I got here... a couple of months after the PASBL reset in 2002, I found out that the PASBL was on Serebii, and found out from there that it came back to UPN. So I quickly made my way over to UPN and made myself at home--I liked UPN's forums pretty much from the minute I registered. ^^;
Old 06-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Introducing many of us to UPN. The only positive contribution to the world SPPfail will ever provide.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Kecleon

So even though I'm perfectly content with my DAINTY usertitle, I will still make a post in honor of UPN.

So as most of my Poke-generation, I wandered into the world of Pokemon on the Internet through Serebii, first as a dumb n00b. I joined FB as a little 11-year-old, with all my incoherent typing and general idiocy expected of those my age. Eventually, I discovered UPN, and somehow managed to become decent enough to pass the RP test and make my way onto UPN. After having a little hissyfit over Christmas items or something, I left for 8 months (give or take). During this hiatus, most of my friends joined, and when I came back, I quickly joined the in-crowd. I eventually became an updater and a "vet" (which is sort of a vague term, especially in the context of FB).

During some lowpoint, I decided to follow some of my friends into the ASB just to check it out. At first, I just found it a fun diversion, having a few battles (ironically my first was with ALTO), and not thinking much of it until meeting Muyo. He seemed at least someone impressed, and from there, I decided to pursue a Gym.

I flipped between FB and ASB, and when both got a bit stale, I decided to wander onto UPN. I sorta felt like an outsider, but the more and more I posted, the more and more familiar I got with everyone. I eventually befriended some of the UPN usuals and became one myself.

Meanwhile, I began to fall out of FB along with most of my friends as my ASB career took off. I gained a few levels and managed to grab the Normal Gym, as well as becoming a relatively respected member of the ASB. I also became a ref sometime around then, eventually being boosted up to C+++.

I went back to FB a few times for temporary stints just to fill the time, but never really got back into it for good.

Now, I'm level 4 and still running my Gym (and am currently undefeated), and expect to stay for a while longer.

I've also become at least a semi-regular of UPN and have made a lot of good friends along the way.

UPN has been awesome for me, and I hope it continues to be as awesome as it has been.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I first went to Jaxel's UPN (with Ash in the banner, white and using Crack's smilies) as "ShadowRider" because a lot of people at BMG were posting on UPN, but didn't really stick around until i got into Chaka's UPN for its Forum 15 and finally Kuno's to compete in PASBL, courtesy of Hissing_Arbok who hasn't been around in years, though I see him on AIM from time to time.

The forum has had the best "small yet large community" field with alumni and veterans making cameos from time to time. Truly a home-town forum, as Loki likes to put it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Magikarp Welcome... heado mastaa?...

Luckily for me, I never had to defile my tubes with serebii. By sheer luck, I happened to be in the ASB's Grand Melee at the time as well as the group on Yahoo's clunky "predecessor to social networking" thing where someone posted that we would reassemble at UPN.

And then we reset all ASB stats, much to the chagrin of Archaic, who fought long and hard to reinstate his 5-level advantage. And then there were many epic fights between Reed and Arcy. Also, we were all little kids back then, even Arcy. w

The ASB had its glory days at (this) UPN, to be expected since this place is made of awesomeness. Kuno was awesome as well, and we had a bunch of parties in NYC with Kuno, Gr, Stlbk, myself, and Loki. Mozz and rp missed joining us. Talon and Muyo joined us by phone/voice.

Also AIM chats were really cool back then. Originally we would come up with some random room name each time like "Mozzs Love Shack" or "Palace of Doctor Ron" and start inviting people. One day after most people had left, a couple of us were still idle and the room stayed open for many hours. So we invited everyone again and they were quite surprised to see the room still active after so long. From then forth we made it a custom to idle in the AIM chat with the goal of keeping it open 24/7. I remember Muyo and myself leaving our computers on overnight just to have the window open. To this day we still like to idle in AIM chats.

Kuno made an awesome pixel art comic with characters based on some UPN people. However, the comic was cut off abruptly due to school. Three years later, we decided to start the comic up again, with a new storyline taking place (appropriately) three years after the events of the first comic. It had a good run and was cut off abruptly due to school once again.

Mcsweeney posted funny stuff and nobody could spell his name.

Now get posting more stories!

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:00 AM   #8
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life

Lapras

Also posting just because I caaaan.

Haha, all of these posts are going to make me feel kind of like a freak for not joining UPN for RPgame purposes, huh? I remember the days of a Shipping forum gushing with spam and silly games (fun, though). There would be those who would be quick to point out that I wasn't on UPN for the SRS SHIPPING DAYS, but then I do prefer spam wars to flame wars. ;\ Kind of sad to think back on cool people who've long since disappeared (Jamie, if you ever read this, I still miss you!), but lots more cool people have also appeared since then. People who I will stalk until the end of timmmme. lawl D: I'm kidding, guys. ...mostly.

I remember happy times of lurking in ASB forums since forever ago. Again, some cool people left, some cool people showed up. Some really cool people have reappeared, or even stuck around pretty much this whole time. [:

I've had a few "career changes" in my time as a Pogeyman forumgoer. Starting life as a fanartist based at TPM, I've gone on to become a Shipper, then an FBer, then an ASBer. These days though, I am simply... a UPNer. \o/ Superoverdramatic, lol, but it's a nice feeling to not be a "shut-in" here. :P This is largely due to me getting to be good friends with Kuno, which I feel silly for not doing a long time ago. I'm a shy kitten, but he's a big cuddly cutie pie. (:

Thanks for giving us this awesome place to hang out and make friends in, Kuno, you really are the greatest. <3

I can honestly say that I love a big ol' bunch of you guys here and I hope that you know who you are. (I tell you enough, don't I?)

すれ違うだけの距離が歯痒い 手を伸ばせば届きそうなのに
意味があるのなら教えて欲しい 締め付ける胸の痛みの
「イツダッテ ウソミタイ アイシタテ ノ ユメミライ」

f i z z y b u b b l e s | w i l d f u t u r e

Quote:
morningstar - Today at 12:46 PM
her whole being is Arashi

AshsBabyLapras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:16 AM   #9
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos
As elegant as others may have put it, I merely will sum it up in a few words. UPN is salvation and its greatness shelters all who dwell here. Let our haven of justice stand for another 10 years.
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:14 AM   #10
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
courtesy of Hissing_Arbok who hasn't been around in years, though I see him on AIM from time to time.
He still IMs me about once every four months or so out of the blue with some incredibly random statement, we exchange about five IMs, then another few months before I hear from him again.

I remember back when I first came to UPN, or Pokémon Funplace Go, as it was called back in the day. The first thing I did was write up a squad for the ASB and post it in the main page of the UPN forums. So you had all of the forums, Misc, Pokemon Discussion, Music, etc. Then scroll down past ASB and poof, my squad. Fortunately I cleaned it up before anyone other than Kuno saw it, which was how I first met Kuno. I lost my first ASB match to Eternal Chaos/Hissing Arbok, who had previously been one of the worst trainers of the ASB pre-reset, and met Mozz via the ref test, back when he was still president. I thought he was the figurehead, while trainers like Kuno, Archaic and X-Rok were the real good ones of the group, so I challenged him to a match. Good times, matches, memes and friends ensued, many of whom I remember and still wait for to return.

Ah, ASB history.

I remember Dave, Joe, Curtis, Will and Morg cobbling together an RPG from the ashes of an forgotten forum, and how much fun it was back when you could plausibly find your favorite Pokémon and people actually would capture 'mons they found just to drop them off in the adoption center in case anyone else wanted them. Updates and friends were equally plentiful, and ASB rivals turned into FB friends. And even though I've already won it, I think I may end up back again, sooner than I think.

Personal dramas abounded, but I met many of my good friends here, not to mention my hot girlfriend. I've been active on many of the big Pokéforums, but I've always stuck around UPN and UPNers, because UPN is more than just a Pokémon board, it's my webhome.
Muyotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:46 AM   #11
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Loving Dosuser's webcomics, I remember those!

I've been perhaps a bit more peripheral that most on here, but I've been around for about six years in one form or another, but it's always been a great community, even for someone who doesn't speak to you all on AIM or whatever, just reading through time out threads is amusing as hell.

I recently came back after three or so years without coming on here and it's great to see how many people are still around and more to the point, still posting semi-regularly. Hopefully this will continue for a fair while to come.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:41 AM   #12
iAmDewgong
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via MSN to iAmDewgong
Bah. It's not like I wouldn't feel dumb posting something like "OH I LOVE THIS PLACE I'VE BEEN HERE FOR TWO MONTHS ALREADY" >_> But well. It has this awesome Everyone knows everyone-feeling over it, which I love. Small forums ftw. Small forums with awesome people is even better.

And no, I don't expect to get user title change for this one xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosuser
Metagroß: Male Beldum
Metagroß is a totally metal dude. One day, Kuno's voice boomed out, "YOUR STRUGGLE TOTALLY MAKES YOU METAL." This benediction fueled Metagroß' determination to keep struggling to the very end. In his neverending struggle to fulfill his destiny, Metagroß sought out Morg for enlightenment. Morg looked with respect upon Metagroß' tireless struggle and permitted him to train alongside his Magikarp. Now, Metagroß has learned not to be mastered by its struggle, but to be the master of its Struggle.
iAmDewgong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:27 AM   #13
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

I remember when I first came here; the chaos of Serebii's server made me hate PASBL and people started talking about a much better website with no lag, no shitty server issues every five minutes and I got all excited. Once linked, I found the website a peaceful breath of fresh air, with THE most awesome guy in charge.

Since then, I’ve come here every day, and loved all of it.

I’ve even found and altered a poem from google.
To bear up under loss;
to fight the bitterness of defeat and the weakness of grief;
to be victor over anger;
to smile when tears are close;
to resist disease and evil men and base instincts;
to hate hate and to love love,
to go on when it would seem good to die;
to look up with unquenchable faith in something ever more about to be.
That is what just one website can do, and so be great. UPN save us.
Treepandaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #14
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Graveler

K, so, I was first introduced to Serebii by my IRL friend (not the forums) as a place where I can CONSULT to help me find items and stuff in my games. I always noticed the "forums" link there, but I didn't know what that was, so I never clicked on it until like three years after my original visit to Serebii. I joined there, did n00bish stuff, until I witnessed the ASB/FB RAAEG in the announcement forums where random people wanted ASB/FB mods fired. I became interested in ASB after reading a few battles, so I joined. A month later, I was told of a magical place called UPN where I joined and basically stuck to the ASB/FB part. But now, I feel as though I know everyone here because I participate in all areas of the forums (unlike Serebii) and have made friends with awesome people.

So UPN is an awesome place and I certainly hope it'll be around for a long time.

EDIT: My avatar is a nice representation of my emotion :')
Old 06-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
psychopath
Boulder Badge

I may not know much about UPN, or its long ten yeatr history, but in the few months I have been here I have learned which pokemon website you can go to when you want one that you'll actually enjoy.

I remember when I first came how there was that old version of the website where you had to log in to see anything, I joined anyway, wanting to see what was on this (FB) forum. I really enjoy this site, the one place where i don't run into idiots...

...HAIL KUNO?
psychopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #16
Lady Kuno

I'm in a good mood so I gave everyone here that. :p

Some of these stories are pretty good and fairly interesting. Although I'm biased towards Morg's because we hung out in rl a few times. I have rl friends that go to upn but I never really met upners in rl as much as him.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #17
iAmDewgong
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via MSN to iAmDewgong
> ...HAIL KUNO?

Hail Kuno!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosuser
Metagroß: Male Beldum
Metagroß is a totally metal dude. One day, Kuno's voice boomed out, "YOUR STRUGGLE TOTALLY MAKES YOU METAL." This benediction fueled Metagroß' determination to keep struggling to the very end. In his neverending struggle to fulfill his destiny, Metagroß sought out Morg for enlightenment. Morg looked with respect upon Metagroß' tireless struggle and permitted him to train alongside his Magikarp. Now, Metagroß has learned not to be mastered by its struggle, but to be the master of its Struggle.
iAmDewgong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #18
Emp
Volcano Badge

I have my user title, so I fortunately won’t look like such a kiss up when I declare my love for this place :p I joined through FB, the bulbagarden branch, and didn’t really like the forum at first. I was a serious noob around this time last year, and the only communication on forums I was used to was

“Looking for legit TRU Darkray, pmsplox”

And

“*sends out Nidoking and defeats the bad guys* C’mon guyz folow me so we can captur shadow Lugia!!”

Since I’d never been a part of a social community online, I kept my distance from the UPN chat thread. Coupled with the fact AR members hardly able to do anything outside the Daycare and Pokemart, I kept my distance from this strange new forum. It was only when I got through the training stages of FB I started to make more of an effort. UPN is now my favourite forum, and it’s the first place I check when I come onto my computer. Although I love rambling with the FB community, I love reading the senseless arguments in the misc. and video game sections. I don’t really speak to many of the UPN vets outside of the FB members, but this place is still a home for me.

Small forums FTW!

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #19
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
I'm in a good mood so I gave everyone here that. :p
I love you in a non gay way.
Treepandaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #20
Lady Kuno

To be honest I kind of expected this thread to have exploded by now. >_>;

Old 06-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #21
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Graveler

I said my story D:
Old 06-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #22
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>I'm in a good mood so I gave everyone here that. :p

I love you in an entirely gay way.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #23
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
I said my story D:
Well yeah but I figured more people would show up for super awesome titles or conversing. XP

Old 06-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #24
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

I came here because I follow the ASB like a wandering nomad.

Yay, let me change my user title now

OH WAIT
Old 06-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #25
Patches
Shake it!

... I don't come on UPN for one day and this is what happens. I miss my opportunity by a half hour. Go figure.

Not that it counts but I'm going to post anyway due to boredom.

Honestly, I don't even remember how exactly I found my way here. I was a 12 year old who was obsessed with Pokemon browsing the internet for Pokemon related awesomeness. Then I found what I was looking for which made me land in FB. Haven't been able to perminantly leave the site since despite my attempts.
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork