UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #26
Talon87
時の彼方へ

How was Episode 4 specifically a MLA ripoff and not simply just another military training camp story, stories which are a dime a dozen, stories I've seen many times over the years? You've got Starship Troopers, for starters ...
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #27
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Episode 5!

Spoiler: show
It's confirmed the titans do not need to eat. They're also full of steam?

The tall one teleports away! Perhaps he really does have teleportation?

All those new characters they introduced in the last episode end up as food. Just as expected.

Also what is up with this phrase appearing in every anime?

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #28
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Watching & Haven't Read Ahead:
  • big bad birtha
  • Doppleganger
  • dosuser
  • kaisap112
  • lilbluecorsola
  • Midgeorge
  • Quicksolver
  • Talon87
Watching But Have Also Read Ahead:
---
I have read Shingeki no Kyojin ahead, technically, as in plot synopsis. And pretty much the big plot stuff only. Not about to spoil anyone in this thread though, no worries. ^^;;

Also, I find it funny how people seem to be complaining about there being elements common to shounen/seinen anime - in a shounen/seinen anime.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #29
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Episode 5

As predicted, we got a bloodbath, but I was surprised Armin didn't die. He was so whiny and pathetic, dying his pants the colour of his hair, it took a really ballsy self-sacrifice(?) by Eren to rescue him from the literal jaws of defeat! Although that scene was kind of ridiculous to watch given Eren's missing a leg, he's across the street, Armin's falling down the titan's esophagus and its mouth was closed. I'm not convinced he's dead yet, although he sure gave Armin a hand.

We got to learn some interesting details on the titans, and got to see some visually. "abnormals" = titans acting outside of known behaviour patterns. Clearly, it seems like even the smaller titans are intelligent, or at least cunning in an instinct kind of way, while the "Colossal Titan" is definitely intelligent, smart enough to know its own weak-spot and to destroy the cannons.

That said, we also know the Colossal Titan is indeed hostile to the humans, and with the so-called "Armoured Titan" they're working together in a planned formation to take down the walled cities. Perhaps the titans are anti-human weapons? I question the need to eat humans if they don't get any nutritional/energy value from them. Why not just tear them apart?

Eren was pretty awesome this episode. Good to see he didn't pansy out and stepped up while the others died like dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
How was Episode 4 specifically a MLA ripoff and not simply just another military training camp story, stories which are a dime a dozen, stories I've seen many times over the years? You've got Starship Troopers, for starters ...
The sequencing of the events, the choice of the dialogue, and what scenes we got to see.

MLA is also based in part on Starship Troopers, although mostly on Gunparade March, and while we do see training camps fairly often in such stories how things played out was very similar.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #30
The Morg

Episode 6!

Oh man, they used the "yelling crowd" sound effect from Civ IV! Mcsweeney would be proud.

More back story for Eren! Although he's supposedly "dead".

Even the Japanese fled to the walls, which are apparently in Germany. I guess that means the entire planet really is covered in titans.

Instead of a "monster of the week", we're getting titans with "abnormal" behaviour. In Episode 5 we got a jumper. In this episode we got a runner. I wonder what we'll get next?

Old 05-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #31
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm convinced the faces for these titans are modeled after the actors from Japanese AV.

That said, I really liked Episode 6. It's possibly my favourite episode thus far. We got an explanation for what I noticed earlier, that Mikasa isn't related to Eren, and even more she's shown to be an Asian. I would not have been able to tell from the anime designs.

After sucking for the first few episodes, Eren's reinvented himself as a badarse. I guess his "I'm gonna kill you!" threats as a kid to the bullies in the first episode were a lot more honest than we thought!

Also it's pretty much guaranteed that a Mikasa x Eren pairing is in the stars. Her "loyalty" to him is just a broken girl's way of expressing she's madly in love, and wants to make kids she can teach the family traditions to!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #32
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Episode 7

I'll just come out and say it: because I'm aware of future plot developments I can't write about this episode without accidentally spoiling stuff for future episodes, or even a plot synopsis since 99% of my reactions are based on knowing what's up behind the scenes. I'll sit this one out and write on Episode 8 next week.

I do want to hear non-spoilered peoples' thoughts on Episode 7 though!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #33
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Episode 7

That new Titan is obviously Eren, the juxtaposition of Mikasa's memory of him screaming and the Titan brutalizing the other with martial arts is very reminiscent of Eren's combat training.

I'd say that's kind of a crazy development, though. I figured the Titans might be an anti-human weapon, but how did Eren become one after being engorged by the other? Did he merge with it, did his dad's serum come into place? Was the serum responsible for turning him into a titan? Either way, it violates conservation of mass so much (given Eren's been "dead" for only a few hours) I never would have imagined that Titans are made from humans, although it might also explain why they love torturing humans (since that's child-like behaviour).

Most curious if Eren can talk or speak/think like a rational person. If he's got a Titan's basal instincts, he's being driven now by his deep-seated hatred of them. I hope his intelligence returns and he joins the human cause!

Titans don't have sex organs...looks like I'll have to give up the Misaka x Eren pairing?

I wonder what that pomegranate is about?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #34
The Morg

Episode 7!

Man, Doppleganger totally called this as early as episode 2!

This does corroborate the theories people are having that the titans were originally some kind of biological weapon. I don't think they are being actively manufactured, though. I think maybe it's a classic "experiment gone wrong" type of deal.

My theory is that the doctor was working on the "cure", trying to turn all the titans back into people rather than killing them!

Old 05-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #35
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Episode 7:

Eren HAS to be the turncoat titan. He has his hair... AND HIS RAAAAAGE. Also, I think that's likely the big twist they're alluding to in the preview for Episode 8. Then again, if that's not the twist, I wonder what it could be...

Also, I totally have been watching this show the entire time. XD Not reading the manga, though.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #36
Quicksolver
Pokemon Trainer

If you haven't cried in joy at ep 7, you're heartless, to say the least. The idea that death at the hands of the titans isn't the end is justjshdfkgh

No seriously, I think the doctor manufactured those titans himself. Or, there could have been an original/natural titan, and the doctor researched how to create them to fight the real huge ones.
Quicksolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #37
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksolver View Post
If you haven't cried in joy at ep 7, you're heartless, to say the least. The idea that death at the hands of the titans isn't the end is justjshdfkgh

No seriously, I think the doctor manufactured those titans himself. Or, there could have been an original/natural titan, and the doctor researched how to create them to fight the real huge ones.
Would be nice if you gave a warning what the contents of the spoiler box are going to be about...

And no, I didn't cry at Episode 7.
Death not being permanent kinda ruins the drama - we get to the same state as with Naruto, DBZ and other such shonen anime where we no longer care when characters die. "They'll just revive 'em next week!"

And if there was only one original Titan (in your sequence where they were mass-produced by humans), why the need to create any more? You could just kill the one Titan and be done with the whole threat.

In before someone starts drawing parallels between Kyojin and nuclear warfare.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #38
Quicksolver
Pokemon Trainer

I'm sorry. I thought spoiler tags were sufficient... again. e_e

What if it wasn't possible to kill original titans? Eren discovered that some of them may have exhibited intelligence to a certain extent. What if that was the exact reason why the good doctor manufactured titans? To combat the more intelligent+original ones humanity couldn't face?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #39
Talon87
時の彼方へ

What she's saying is, different people are at different stages with the show, so simply writing this:
Quote:
stuff
isn't as helpful for people wanting to avoid spoilers pertinent to their level of exposure as is writing this:
Quote:
Episode 7:

stuff
or this:
Quote:
Spoilers up through Chapter 39 of the manga

stuff
That way, a person can make a safe and informed decision about whether or not to expand a given spoiler box.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #40
Quicksolver
Pokemon Trainer

Understood, though I did not realize the spoiler tags on their own were that unreliable. Whenever I see the word 'spoiler' I brace myself for anything, really.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #41
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Episode 7 spoilers:

I'm guessing the giants are more like overpowered zombies? Except instead of biting people to convert them, they "eat" them. I'm guessing this'll be a case of "kill the originals and the rest will die!". Of course the originals are the super powered ones. Can humanity beat a massive Nemesis?! God watch the massive giant pull out a damn rocket launcher.

For my thoughts on the episode itself, the Eren thing seemed random as hell at first, but I got used to it almost as quickly as it happened. The show's pretty good when it isn't shoving generic military drama down your throat/Eren's being an annoying ass hole. Mikasa's a cool character. She's a much better lead than Eren!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #42
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksolver View Post
Understood, though I did not realize the spoiler tags on their own were that unreliable. Whenever I see the word 'spoiler' I brace myself for anything, really.
Sure, but we try to be as friendly and helpful as we can regarding spoilers. I mean, I don't think you'd like it much if (to give an example) a third season of the Suzumiya Haruhi anime came out, you had not read the books yet by choice, you excitedly go in to discuss the latest episode, someone has a post that simply shows an expandable spoiler tag, you click to expand it (expecting Episode 1 comments), aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand they spoil the latest novel for you. ^^; It would've been better if they had labeled their spoiler tag saying "Book 10-2 spoilers" and then provided the spoiler box. Then you could've saved yourself from being spoiled on stuff you had no reason to expect you would've been spoiled on otherwise.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #43
Quicksolver
Pokemon Trainer

((Personally, I've never had any trouble with spoilers myself because I always got ahead with most of the stuff I watched. I understand not everybody is like that of course, which is why you have my apologies.))

Mikasa and Sasha are by far the best characters I've seen in a survival horror show, and I use the term loosely here. I'm somewhat put off by the excess 'WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING' drama the series has established over and over every episode.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #44
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, I just watched Episode 7. Thoughts:

The Titan-slaying Titan:
Like everybody else, I'm calling that the Titan-slaying Titan is Eren "reborn". Thing is, I really, really hate this development. Like, seriously:
  • Best case scenario would've been that he died and stayed dead. 'Cause it takes balls to do that as an author, and because it's so, so cliché for authors to kill off a character only to reveal that "Surprise! " they aren't dead.
  • Second best scenario would've been the ridiculous "I somehow carved a hole through the giant's cheek and squirmed my way out. I'm alive, bitches! Missing an arm and a leg -- and let's totally ignore that hemorrhagic shock should've set in by now! -- but still alive!" scenario. I would've rolled my eyes big time at it, but it would've been better than what we got.
  • The worst case scenario of the three is this nonsense. "LOL! I've been ingested and reborn as a giant, people! Say hello to Titan Eren! " -_-;
    1. I fucking hate chimeras. They just about ruin any story. No story is better off for them. Fullmetal Alchemist ... Hunter x Hunter ... and now Shingeki no Kyojin.
    2. It ain't original! Specifically the idea of producing chimeras via ingestion! And the idea of those ingestion-produced chimeras retaining some memories from their source organisms! Say hello to Hunter x Hunter! Say hello to plagiarism!
    3. It's just fucking stupid!
      1. How do you become a chimera-titan that quickly? Eren died not even an hour ago. And already he's a titan?
      2. If chimera-titans retain memories from the victims they ingest, and if Eren-Titan exhibits no overwhelming urge to consume humans, then wouldn't all of the titans' urge to eat or destroy humans wither up pretty damn quickly? 'Cause if they've been eating Legionnaires and infantrymen and kind-hearted souls and so on, then shouldn't we have seen their all-consuming appetite for human death vanish way earlier than this? It's not like all of humanity are like the slave traders in Episode 6 OH SHIT--
      3. What a lame tie-in to the slave traders. -_-; This is what the author is trying to tell us. "The titans' ugly nature is in fact humanity's ugly nature. Because the titans inherit their nature from what they eat -- and because what they eat is us, humans." Problem is, this is a really over-the-top way to go about that. Couldn't you have just said that the Titans were genetically aberrant humans? Couldn't you have just said that they were made by a man in Man's image and thus their nature reflects Man's own depravity? Did you really have to go for the whole "lol inheritance via ingestion" angle?
As you can see, I really don't like this development. ^_^; It's just stupid. My apologies to all of you who my declarations may upset. But I think you're nuts if you think this is a great development. This is the sort of development that, if the series really is going to be 25+ episodes long and if it really is correct, is going to make me drop Shingeki no Kyojin faster than you can say "Boo Urns."

Mikasa:
Eren's not the only character whose development has gotten on my nerves. While everybody else is celebrating Mikasa as this amazing heroine -- strong, smart, beautiful, independent, courageous, on and on the list goes -- I find myself more and more rolling my eyes at how she's such a Little Miss Perfect. Like when she was giving that speech to the other cadets on the rooftops. I don't think Mikasa is a good example of a role model character, female or otherwise, and the reason for that is that she's laughably flawless. Even when she gets depressed and loses her cool, it lasts all of ten minutes. She's pretty much every Shounen Jump protagonist who isn't goofy -- so scratch out the Narutos and the Gintokis and put in the Echizen Ryoumas and the Spirits of the Millenium Puzzle -- in that she's simply too perfect. Before, circa Episode 2 or 3, she was acceptably "perfect" as we didn't know her too well so all we had to go off of were her list of positive character traits, all of them very attractive. But now, seven episodes in, I find her to be unacceptably perfect. She's just ... boring. She's not a compelling character. I'd much rather have watched a series centered around Armin (who is capable of showing real growth and development) than one centered around Mikasa (who is already so perfect she doesn't have room for any substantial growth). Again, I reject the notion that what we saw in this episode represents a true weak moment for Mikasa and that how she came out of that weakness shows real growth on her part. No. It was a minor weak moment with minor growth. Honestly, Mikasa at the end of Episode 07 seems no different than Mikasa at the end of Episode 06. The only difference between the two is that one had experienced an icy rage-fueled freakout while the other had not.

Other developments:
This for me is where Episode 07 shone. I liked seeing things like Connie rising to the challenge, even though his boot camp instructor had sort of written him off as someone who would likely get himself killed early on. And I liked how {I forget his name; the asshole guy who wanted the cushy position with the palace guard, the one who resented Eren and had a crush on Mikasa}, I liked how that guy really rose to the challenge too and sort of became a begrudging leader of the remaining cadets. There's your growth. There's your interesting developments. It'll be fascinating (if I stick with the show ) to see if this guy grows to become a hero of the human resistance, someone who changed his mind about life as a result of the Battle of Trost, someone who no longer wants to live a safe and cushy life in the inner sanctum but who instead wants to fight for the sake of his people and try to push back the titan invasion. Hell! If he becomes less of a jerk, we could even see him and Mikasa possibly hooking up together! Something which would've seemed appalling circa Episode 4 while Eren was still alive and this guy was still a big jerk, but something which I would be a lot cooler with if it happened around, say, Episode 16, with Eren long dead and this guy possibly having become an admirable man. *shrug*

Final thoughts:
Overall, I dislike the major development in this episode enough that I'm very much considering dropping the series. I hate chimeras, and while both FMA and HxH had them too, there were some major differences. First, FMA and HxH didn't produce chimera-heavy focuses until way, way into their series' runs. (In fact, the original FMA anime never did, only having the Shou Tucker part very early on.) So unlike Shingeki no Kyojin, which is shoving it in my face as early as Episode 07, those series earned my respect before dropping the stinkbomb. Second, in neither FMA nor HxH are chimeras a primary focus of the overall plot. In FMA, they're something of a subplot which rank in importance / omnipresence far below subplots like those pertaining to Zolf J. Kimblee "the Crimson Alchemist" or to Ling Yao and the nation of Xing. In HxH, chimeras are the primary focus ... of the series' sixth or seventh story arc , and once we're done with this arc they'll pretty much be pushed to the back of the fridge and all but forgotten, save (I'm assuming) possible reoccurring chimera characters in the Hunter's Association should any of them survive extermination and be permitted membership. But here in Shingeki no Kyojin, the chimeras are the focus. This has become a series that is now 100% about chimeras. Specifically, chimera-titans. So for someone like me who can't stand chimeras, asking me to watch a chimera-centric show is like asking me to spray pepper spray into my own face once weekly. Slight exaggeration, perhaps, but I really do hate chimeras in storytelling. ^^;

So will I drop the series? That depends on Episode 08. If they confirm that Eren is in fact the Titan-slaying Titan, then yeah, I'll probably only too happily drop this series. If on the other hand they confirm that Eren is not the Titan-slaying Titan, and that in fact the Titan-slaying Titan is someone (or something) completely different, then I have no problem continuing to watch. My viewership will really hinge on next week's episode.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #45
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Based on my MLA experience, Talon, I'm pretty sure your worst fears are going to manifest.

Seems likely to me that the Titans engorging on humans is due to humanity's inherent evil. I don't think Eren is a chimera, though. I imagine we'll see a Titan fist exploding out of the stomach of the titan that ate him last episode and he magically grows to 15 metres tall. This is why I said I felt it violates conservation of mass - where did all that body size come from? Granted the titans are capable of odd regeneration (like with Eren's hand, other giants' heads WHICH SHOULD KILL THEM, WHY IS THE SPINAL CORD THE ONLY WEAK-SPOT?)

I think you've eloquently vocalized my concerns with Mikasa, I felt something was off about her but for an emotionally inert person her reaction to Eren's death was not context-appropriate.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 05-20-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #46
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Based on my MLA experience, Talon, I'm pretty sure your worst fears are going to manifest.

Seems likely to me that the Titans engorging on humans is do to humanity's inherent evil. I don't think Eren is a chimera, though. I imagine we'll see a Titan fist exploding out of the stomach of the titan that ate him last episode and he magically grows to 15 metres tall. This is why I said I felt it violates conservation of mass - where did all that body size come from? Granted the titans are capable of odd regeneration (like with Eren's hand, other giants' heads WHICH SHOULD KILL THEM, WHY IS THE SPINAL CORD THE ONLY WEAK-SPOT?)

I think you've eloquently vocalized my concerns with Mikasa, I felt something was off about her but for an emotionally inert person her reaction to Eren's death was not context-appropriate.
Well, we'll see. Maybe you're right. One more thing though:

Titan-Eren's elf ears are dumb. -_-; Seriously, where the hell did those come from? Other titans? No elf ears. Other humans? No elf ears. Eren as a human? No elf ears. Eren as a titan? Suddenly elf ears! Silly.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #47
The Morg

I know she read ahead, but Kaisa's prediction that

Talon would write a wall of text and/or drop the series at episode 7

is totally on track.

Last edited by The Morg; 05-21-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #48
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wait, I thought you two weren't reading ahead for this one. You decided to read ahead, Morg? What about Doppel? (Not clicking your box, btw, for the very reason that it sounds like you've read ahead.)
Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #49
The Morg

It should be safe to read assuming you're dropping the show anyways, but prepare to be trolled.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #50
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'll wait 'til next week. Will read it should next week's episode seemingly confirm my expectations. Will abstain should next week's episode either seemingly confirm something else or else not confirm anything of any sort.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime