UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 12-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #551
Mercutio
Banned

While it is a stupid lyric she is very much saying direction.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #552
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Okay here's another one. This time I won't spoil what you're "supposed" to hear.

Blinded By The Light by Manfred Mann. What does he say after "blinded by the light"? He repeats it several times at the beginning of the song.

Spoiler: show
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product, right?

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #553
Talon87
時の彼方へ

*sees that it's a video with lyrics*
*intelligently instantly scrolls down*

But still. ^_^; Link the people to versions without the words! XD Anyway ... I hear him say:

Blinded by the light! Rack up like a douche into the rumor in the night!
Blinded by the light! Rack up like a douche into the rumor in the night!
Blinded by the light! Rack up like a douche into ... {fade out into guitar}

Now to click your spoiler box!

Wow, we are way off of each other. ^^;;

Okay, now to see what the real lyrics are.

Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night!

I think I am much closer.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #554
McSweeney
Soul Badge

No, we're not far off! "Feminine hygiene product" IS douche. The other words aren't important, just as long as you hear that one it's all good.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #555
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Totally didn't get that. The only douches I'm used to, besides the colloquial insult, are all ones done in a hospital or clinic. When you said "feminine hygiene product," I didn't even question it: I just assumed that this is what you literally thought you heard. So embarrassed. ^^;
Old 12-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #556
Kryptos
Pokemon Trainer

I listen mostly to Ed Sheeran songs.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #557
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Hozier - Take Me To Church
All About That [Upright] Bass

Last edited by Concept; 12-26-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:14 AM   #558
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I love Hozier so much. You should check out the rest of that EP if you have a chance.
Very cool cover. Like it better than the original.

Also, I don't think I've ever posted LCD Soundsystem before. This is a crime. Dance Yrself Clean
Old 01-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #559
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Have listened to the rest of the album, find it a bit hit and miss. Some great tracks, some distinctly mediocre ones.

Anyway, for today; Eating Me Alive - Miracles of Modern Science
Old 01-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #560
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
I should not like this but I do. There is nothing good about this but I really like it.
Man, I haven't been on this thread in awhile... but yeah, I LOVE Die Antwoord. Pretty much all of their songs give me the same feeling you describe. "I shouldn't like this. But ohhh, I do." Baby's on Fire is my favorite, by far, even if the music video is all kinds of messed up.

In unrelated news, I'm gonna link an old favorite of mine. First four minutes are atmospheric and slow, but the song gradually builds into something absolutely amazing.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Moya
BORKED
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #561
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

BORKED

No idea why this is so catchy. No idea why I keep listening to it.

But every time I remember it I go look it up again...
Old 01-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #562
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Mr. Brightside cover - Run River North (formerly Monsters Calling Home)

Their full album is fantastic. They kinda remind me of a mix between Hudson Taylor and the Parlotones.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:01 PM   #563
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
Big Giant Circles - The Glory Days: "The Trials of MAN"
BORKED

Just found out about this guy. I like it already.
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:40 AM   #564
deoxys
Fog Badge

One of my favorite bands, AWOLNATION, just released a catchy new song today. If you enjoy a healthy mix of electronic instrumentals with rock with a bit of a soul twisted in, you might like their music.

Here is their new single, Hollow Moon (Bad Wolf)

BORKED
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:09 AM   #565
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Phaeleh - In the Twilight
BORKED
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #566
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Metronomy - The Bay

Lead singer may have one of the worst beards of all time, but I quite like the song.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #567
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Metronomy - The Bay

Lead singer may have one of the worst beards of all time, but I quite like the song.
This song sounds like a fusion of the 2010s with the BeeGees. Not musically in touch enough with either modern music or the BeeGees to really justify this feeling further. Just popping in to say, "I listen to this and feel it's what the BeeGees might have sounded like today had they formed in 1998 instead of 1958." Well, that and the reworking of a lot of music history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
Phaeleh - In the Twilight
BORKED
The melody reminds me a lot for some reason of a Metroid Prime stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
One of my favorite bands, AWOLNATION, just released a catchy new song today. If you enjoy a healthy mix of electronic instrumentals with rock with a bit of a soul twisted in, you might like their music.

Here is their new single, Hollow Moon (Bad Wolf)

BORKED
That lead singer looks like such a normal fellow! Like, he doesn't look like a rock star. He looks like some ordinary guy who could be posting on UPN right this very minute. That in itself is pretty neat to me. I'm glad to see that he's managed to make it big as a musician despite his ordinary looks and that, if we are to judge based on those looks, he hasn't lost sight of himself either despite his fame. Pretty, pretty neat.

As for the song, all I can really offer on this one is that it reminds me just how out of touch I am with music after the 1980s and how I have always been out of touch with music that isn't mainstream. Even when I don't like their music, I'll know a song or two that belongs to the generation's Backstreet Boys or Lady Gaga. But give me a band like these guys and fast forward us by twenty years and I can guaranteee you: I wouldn't be surprised to hear it on some friend or coworker's Pandora radio but I also would have absolutely no idea who they were.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Neat shares, guys! Not the sort of music I normally listen to, but it's fun to see what friends are listening to. Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #568
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhhhhh View Post
Big Giant Circles - The Glory Days: "The Trials of MAN"
BORKED

Just found out about this guy. I like it already.
SUDDENLY NES MUSIC. Well, maybe this has too many audio channels for NES and would have to be SNES. Still. You know what I mean. I clearly see from the description that this is no accident. Not really sure what this reminds me of exactly. I wanted to say "MEGA MAN! " as a kneejerk response early on but it doesn't have the characteristic feel of most of the classic Mega Man songs. But I really don't know what else I'd point to; even if it's not Mega Man, Mega Man sounds the closest to this style of music of anything else I can think of from the video games of my childhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbleucorsola View Post
Mr. Brightside cover - Run River North (formerly Monsters Calling Home)

Their full album is fantastic. They kinda remind me of a mix between Hudson Taylor and the Parlotones.
When this song started up, first thing I immediately thought of was "Wherever You Will Go" by The Calling. Then the vocalist starts to sing and it's clearly much softer than that. Like with Deo, my response here is that this song reminds me of just how out of touch I am with music: if it doesn't play in a show I watch or game I play, then I probably don't discover it. And since almost everything I watch or play comes out of Japan, it has the unfortunate consequence of disconnecting me from my own generation at home. ^^;

So it's of course ironic that, despite the sound, the box art on YouTube tells me that this is more than likely an East Asian band. ^^;;;;;; orz

This is very mellow, very pleasant. Not paying too close attention to the lyrics though. Easiest way to describe this genre to me is "coffeehouse music." Sounds like the sort of music I'd expect an aspiring musician to play at a coffeehouse in a college town. That isn't a put down. (Nor is it a put up? It's a dead neutral description.) I don't really have an ear for what separates one such band from the rest, so I can't really weigh in on these guys. But I'm glad you're enjoying them. The music seems nice and [lol naive me?] judging from its sound it would seem that the people who made it are nice people too. [/lnm?]

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Double post, but I think that catches me back up to what I last checked out in this thread. And it also takes us a full month back in time, so ...

One of the things I know that I personally can find demotivating with this thread is the utter lack of feedback. You're not even sure if people listened to the music, much less liked it. Hopefully these posts give the five of you some confirmation that, even if weeks late, at least one person did listen.

Once again, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:03 AM   #569
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
When this song started up, first thing I immediately thought of was "Wherever You Will Go" by The Calling. Then the vocalist starts to sing and it's clearly much softer than that. Like with Deo, my response here is that this song reminds me of just how out of touch I am with music: if it doesn't play in a show I watch or game I play, then I probably don't discover it. And since almost everything I watch or play comes out of Japan, it has the unfortunate consequence of disconnecting me from my own generation at home. ^^;

So it's of course ironic that, despite the sound, the box art on YouTube tells me that this is more than likely an East Asian band. ^^;;;;;; orz

This is very mellow, very pleasant. Not paying too close attention to the lyrics though. Easiest way to describe this genre to me is "coffeehouse music." Sounds like the sort of music I'd expect an aspiring musician to play at a coffeehouse in a college town. That isn't a put down. (Nor is it a put up? It's a dead neutral description.) I don't really have an ear for what separates one such band from the rest, so I can't really weigh in on these guys. But I'm glad you're enjoying them. The music seems nice and [lol naive me?] judging from its sound it would seem that the people who made it are nice people too. [/lnm?]
FYI, this is the original version of the song. It means a bit to me since I associate it with Itsuki's feelings towards Kyon and Haruhi, so hearing this takes me back. I also like Boyce Avenue's cover.

I actually looked into the group after discovering them, and it turns out they're a Korean-American indie band. Their original name, "Monsters Calling Home", refers to how their immigrant parents left behind their ethnic culture to pursue the American dream, and how the choices they made created "monsters" in the children's eyes. I also read about how Honda surprised them with a performance gig on Jimmy Kennel Live! after they recorded, shot, and edited one of their music videos in their Honda vehicles. (The official version is a lot more macabre.)

While I like their story and the sound of their music, I find myself relating to a lot of their lyrics as well, so that's a plus. ("Lying Beast" in particular also reminds me of Kano. *shot*)

P.S. Wow at the vocalist in your video. I'd heard the song before but did not expect him to look so young. XD

On a somewhat related note I guess: "Rather Be" by Clean Bandit.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:25 AM   #570
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbleucorsola View Post
On a somewhat related note I guess: "Rather Be" by Clean Bandit.
<3 Rather Be, but I think I prefer this remix Cibbir showed me a bit more than the original. Check it out here. The channel it's on is actually just fantastic in general if you like most genres of Electronic.

Anyways, the three songs I've been listening to a lot recently are Sub.Sound - Start Again, The Killers - Smile Like You Mean It, and Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets - Rewriter. The first is from a guy I've been following for a while, so it's great seeing him get more popular. Just a really feel good, but still kinda mellow electronic track. Fantastic music as always from him. Great vibe, good drops, and he's got some of the vocal splicing in there that I just adore in songs for some reason. The second is a song from The Killers that I've just started to enjoy a lot more recently. I've always been a Killers fan, and I've had different favorite songs from them at different times. Right now I guess this one's just my favorite xd. The last one is just my favorite song from the album I found and downloaded when looking for a certain song by Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets after hearing it on a tumblr that I think Yuki linked. No idea what the actual lyrics are since I can't understand Japanese and can't find any translations, but I enjoy it anyways.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #571
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkbeat View Post
<3 Rather Be, but I think I prefer this remix Cibbir showed me a bit more than the original. Check it out here. The channel it's on is actually just fantastic in general if you like most genres of Electronic.
I still kinda prefer the original, but this is nice too. Thanks for sharing! Cibbir actually introduced me to the channel a while ago, here are some of my favorites:

"Morning Sun" by Strange Talk (Dilon Francis remix)
"Wildfire" by Rob Gasser
"This Year" by COOPER (Fox Stevenson remix)
"Dream and an MPC" by Golden Coast (Televisor remix)

Too bad none of the ones with Kagepro images are ones I really like. *shot*
Old 02-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #572
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I want to delete the majority of the billboard chart toppers from the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s and ask society to re-examine why we kicked the '60s and '70s to the curb. I want more like this. And a whole, whole heck of a lot less of this.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:28 PM   #573
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I want to delete the majority of the billboard chart toppers from the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s and ask society to re-examine why we kicked the '60s and '70s to the curb.
Probably because most of the music in the 60s and 70s wasn't really that great, and the exact some thing will happen to the 90s, 00s, and 10s. Also this would be a silly idea because otherwise we would lose so many great songs. Now if you just wanted to get rid of the mass market boy band schlock, that I would be completely and totally on board with.

Quote:
I want more like this. And a whole, whole heck of a lot less of this.
I feel this is an unfair example. One one side we have a fairly fun song about body positivity and loving yourself and on the other side... we have bloody Fleetwood Mac, possibly one of the greatest bands that ever existed.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #574
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
Probably because most of the music in the 60s and 70s wasn't really that great, and the exact some thing will happen to the 90s, 00s, and 10s.
No, no, no, that's not at all what I'm talking about. I'm talking about chart toppers and record smashers. I'm talking about the songs which dominate pop culture. We went from a time in the '60s and '70s where what people celebrated were songs like "Hotel California" and "Dust in the Wind" to a time in the '90s and '00s where people celebrated "Oops, I Did It Again" and "Poker Face." Putting aside whether you love or hate any of the songs listed, my point is that we've very audibly shifted away from what constitutes a chart topper these days. If the next Fleetwood Mac were to show up knocking on people's doors, I feel like they'd shove them away in favor of Lady Gaga or Lil Wayne. That if we were to discover the next Freddie Mercury, we'd discover him in some no-name bar in Tennessee whilst Kanye West and Jay Z pump out more albums.

The point isn't "the music of the '60s was universally great." The point is that the (say) top 1% of music from the '60s so utterly decimates the top 1% of music from the '00s that it makes me sad and frustrated.

Quote:
Also this would be a silly idea because otherwise we would lose so many great songs. Now if you just wanted to get rid of the mass market boy band schlock, that I would be completely and totally on board with.
To be fair, over half of the music I listen to was written after the year 2000. So don't get me wrong: I agree that good music continues to be made. I was just venting.

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac, possibly one of the greatest bands that ever existed.
People say the same thing of the Beatles. People say the same thing of Queen. Lot of great gifts from the '60s and '70s. What have the '00s given us? Sure, there are people who say that bands like Limp Bizkit or Nickelback are the best band of all time , but my point is that those people are ridiculously outnumbered by those who'd turn to the legends of the '60s and '70s. Most people would never in seriousness suggest that the Backstreet Boys were the greatest band of all time, and yet for their time they were as popular in this country as were the Beatles for their time. And I feel like, "What does that say about us? "
Old 02-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #575
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and no two are exactly the same. Trust me, I'm something of an expert.

Now, I'll fully admit I find modern pop music, especially chart-toppers nowadays, complete and utter garbage, personally. But they bring in the fans, so they must be doing something right.

What does that say about us? That humanity is protean and varied and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Besides, the fact that one might consider newer music garbage does absolutely nothing to detract from music as a whole. New music coming out in no way eradicates the old favourites you love so much. Even if I hate things like Bieber and Gaga, they do nothing to make older music worse, and they add to music culture. Sure, the additions, to me at least, suck, but if you hate it you don't have to listen to it. I'm vocal about hating modern pop, but at the end of the day, while I may make teasing jabs at others for their (horrid) tastes in music, it's their choice and theirs alone. There's also the fact that with such varied musical tastes that are common now, there's always good new music to find if you know where to look. There is new music being made of pretty much every genre, even if it's more underground or less well-known.

Classic music is not one genre. There are several different genres they fit and they're only put under one umbrella nowadays because they're from similar time periods. Nostalgia lenses are also pretty damn strong.

tl;dr: the creation of new music can only ever be a benefit to the culture of music, because there's not a limit to the amount of music that can exist. Creation of new music does not destroy old music so there's really no reason for outrage.

Besides, I honestly believe that in another 20-30 years, what we've seen happen with artists from the 60s and 70s and 80s will happen with the music we know now
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment