Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 02-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #7401
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Kimi no Na wa

Now comes the hammer, sorry. I will say that pretty much everyone on this forum has too high a power level to be moved to tears by this story. The plot, and all its developments, are things we've all seen before en masse. It is so common, it detracts from the story. In fact, there was an anime released just last year which pretty much stole Kimi no Na wa's thunder. You guys will know what I'm talking about if you decide to watch this.
I was moved to tears by the "final" climax, but I will admit the story developments are riddled with clichés/flaws. (Frankly my biggest concern for people on this forum is that the plot holes will hamper their enjoyment.) It's nothing we haven't seen before, in animé or other forms of fiction, or from Shinkai himself. But it does the formula well, knowing when to hit that emotional high point. I liken it to Moana, which I watched recently. It follows the Disney formula and tries to be tongue-in-cheek by coyly acknowledging it - though that doesn't stop it from being predictable at every turn. Still, both are nice, enjoyable films that turn out some surprising feels by the end. As Dopple said: "cute, fun, pure and easy to digest".

And I think the key word there is "fun". The first half of the film is legitimately a rather hilarious romp through all the shenanigans the characters get into. That's something neither Shinkai or even Miyazaki has been able to master before IMO, as both their movies tend to be meandering and melancholic even during "lighthearted" portions. If anything, I'd liken Makoto Shinkai more to Mamoru Hosoda (the director of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children) now with this endeavor. Hosoda's films have a way of being thoroughly entertaining from start to finish, while also achieving some heartwrenching/warming moments. Shinkai tried to mimic Miyazaki in Children Who Chase Lost Voices, but fell into the same trap of becoming so bloated by its own fantasy world at the cost of characterization and story progression. Shinkai struck a nice balance here, and it paid off. (I remember reading somewhere that at a pre-screening, he walked around the room and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of laughter in the audience. I really think it's a testament to the strength of the film itself that it was able to keep me engaged even with the low quality of the rip I saw, rather than resorting to just ogling the pretty animation.) It is still very much a "Shinkai film", focusing on the typical theme of "starcrossed lovers forced apart by some kind of distance/phenomenon", but is also just a "feel-good" film, keeping the romance lowkey compared to the characters' actual charming/comical interactions (to the point where I was hopeful that the relationship wouldn't turn out to be romantic - but alas).

I'm curious now though, Dopple: Which 2016 animé are you referring to in relation? The only one I can think of is

Spoiler: show
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi

Incidentally, someone just alerted me to the fact that RADWIMPS released full English versions of the soundtrack's insert songs. Although... The lyrics sound weirdly similar to a girl's English covers on YT. (See official "Sparkle" and hers for comparison.) I see one of the comments suggest they maybe talked it over and she's either getting royalties or the band loaned her the lyrics during production. No idea what the story is there, but I hope the proper people are getting credit.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 02-09-2017 at 09:08 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:08 AM   #7402
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post

I was moved to tears by the "final" climax, but I will admit the story developments are riddled with clichés/flaws. (Frankly my biggest concern for people on this forum is that the plot holes will hamper their enjoyment.) It's nothing we haven't seen before, in animé or other forms of fiction, or from Shinkai himself. But it does the formula well, knowing when to hit that emotional high point. I liken it to Moana, which I watched recently. It follows the Disney formula and tries to be tongue-in-cheek by acknowledging it - though that doesn't stop it from being predictable at every turn. Still, both are nice, enjoyable films that turn out some surprising feels by the end. As Dopple said: "cute, fun, pure and easy to digest".

And I think the key word there is "fun". The first half of the film is legitimately a rather hilarious romp through all the shenanigans the characters get into. That's something neither Shinkai or even Miyazaki has been able to master before IMO, as both their movies tend to be meandering and melancholic even during "lighthearted" portions. If anything, I'd liken Makoto Shinkai more to Mamoru Hosoda (the director of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children) now with this endeavor. Hosada's films have a way of being thoroughly entertaining from start to finish, while also achieving some heartwrenching/warming moments. Shinkai tried to mimic Miyazaki in Children Who Chase Lost Voices, but fell into the same trap of becoming so bloated by its own fantasy world at the cost of characterization and story progression. Shinkai struck a nice balance here, and it paid off. (I remember reading somewhere that at a pre-screening, he walked around the room and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of laughter in the audience. I really think it's a testament to the strength of the film itself that it was able to keep me engaged even with the low quality of the rip I saw, rather than resorting to just ogling the pretty animation.) It is still very much a "Shinkai film", focusing on the typical theme of "starcrossed lovers forced apart by some kind of distance/phenomenon", but is also just a "feel-good" film, keeping the romance lowkey compared to the characters' actual charming/comical interactions (to the point where I was hopeful that the relationship wouldn't turn out to be romantic - but alas).
I guess it's fair to say the first two parts were very Miyazaki-like, and the last two parts were pure Shinkai. Like, copypasta Shinkai. Those early parts were funny/whimsical, and being well-worn didn't force me to dislike them.

No, what I actively disliked was the third part, where the cliche was out in the open. There were some cool bits in there, and some touching romantic bits, but you could really cut that third part out and the movie wouldn't be affected much?

Quote:

I'm curious now though, Dopple: Which 2016 animé are you referring to in relation? The only one I can think of is

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
You nailed it. The similarities are there, and that anime fit the episodic formula a lot better than Kimi no Na wa did the movie format.

Quote:

Incidentally, someone just alerted me to the fact that RADWIMPS released full English versions of the soundtrack's insert songs. Although... The lyrics sound weirdly similar to a girl's English covers on YT. (See official "Sparkle" and hers for comparison.) I see one of the comments suggest they maybe talked it over and she's either getting royalties or the band loaned her the lyrics during production. No idea what the story is there, but I hope the proper people are getting credit.
It's possible, I've heard NicoNico stars got hired for singing songs based on their English proficiency. The video serves as something like a demo tape.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #7403
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
No, what I actively disliked was the third part, where the cliche was out in the open. There were some cool bits in there, and some touching romantic bits, but you could really cut that third part out and the movie wouldn't be affected much?
The "twist" is something you'll likely either love or hate, though I think pretty much everyone here can see it coming a mile away.

Quote:
You nailed it. The similarities are there, and that anime fit the episodic formula a lot better than Kimi no Na wa did the movie format.
Personally I think I prefer the movie format more, since the animé stagnated at some points. The film kept it fairly tight and well-paced, except for maybe the third act as you mentioned.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:05 AM   #7404
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Youjo Senki is on break this week (recap), so I don't have any new anime updates. But I do have a manga one -

Kumo desu ga, nani ka?

I kind of forced this onto BBB but it's really fun. It's like Re:Monster with all of the flaws fixed up. Instead of a handsome alpha male reincarnated into a handsome alpha male who creates his own interspecies harem, you have a Japanese school girl reincarnated as a giant spider. She is cute and has a fun personality.

The story focus is also quite different. Re:Zero became a power fantasy really quickly and the ability gain got out of hand. The main character was never challenged after the early part of the story and just crushed/raped everything afterward with overwhelming power.

Kumo desu ga reads like something out of Discovery Channel, a fight for survival. The main character has to judge threats and often runs away from them, hides, and preys on things that are weaker than herself. Sometimes she's forced into a battle with a stronger opponent or numerically superior opponent, and in pretty much every battle she's forced to use tactics that are the product of her human mind.

At one point in the story she meets another of her species, an evolved form, and all it does is rush at prey and overwhelm it with force. She comments that she's never actually gone mano-y-mano with prey, and has always used tactics or subterfuge to get food. It's a clear reminder that the story is actually focused on survival.

It reminds me of an RPG-themed version of Crimsons, sort of. Crimsons was the life cycle of the sockeye salmon with shounen tropes, but it was pretty loyal to facts barring the supernatural elements like instinct. Kumo desu ga isn't loyal to facts, but the main character does employ the same kind of tactics as real spiders: sticky traps, trap doors, poison, ambush and retreat. Combined with her personality it's a great read.

If this continues, and I don't know where it will end, I'd rate it as an Excellent. Not a deep series but a very fun one!

Oh I'm also playing a certain game.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #7405
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kumo desu ga, nani ka?

I read the light novel of this, until its premature end (due to the translator quitting).

You know what this reminds me the most of? Konosuba. It's Konosuba with real stakes, starring Aqua alone.

The story is really one of two halves. The first one is of "Kumo-chan" doing whatever she can to survive. It has a clear direction, is fun and exciting. Then the twists start to roll out. The second part is a little strange and has less direction. It's definitely a step down, if only because I don't get it.

I'd rate the first part of Kumo ga an Outstanding, because while not super deep, it hit every other positive. The second part is...Mediocre? Translations ended before I could tell.

Oh, I skipped most of the side stories as well. I felt they took away from the main story.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #7406
deoxys
Fog Badge

I just finished Occultic;Nine.

God that show was terrible the first episode and then pretty meh for the following few, but episode 6 onward was a nonstop thrill ride.

Despite the numerous times this show obviously speeds up the pace to cram everything into 12 episodes... I give it a solid 8/10. I recommend it.

Last edited by deoxys; 02-24-2017 at 11:19 AM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #7407
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Youjo Senki's ED, "Los! Los! Los!" has lyrics that are more violent than "Salil Al-Sawarim", the anthem of the Islamic State.

Let that set in for a bit.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-06-2017, 06:20 AM   #7408
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Makes sense. Weebs are fucking scary, man.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:11 PM   #7409
deoxys
Fog Badge

Overlord S2 just now confirmed.

Based Madhouse.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:47 AM   #7410
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

WHAT THE FUCK?

SERIOUSLY?

Source please.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #7411
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

hell yeah

also i am 100 chapters into negima and this is a thing
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #7412
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The Negima! manga is actually in the running as one of the best shounen manga ever. It is comparable to One Piece in quality (once it really gets going), and is better than Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, Bleach and Naruto. It's better than Fullmetal Alchemist and the very best of Jojo, the Steel Ball Run.

The only thing keeping it from the inner circle is...I shall not say.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #7413
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Its all the nudity, makes it really hard to recommend to others.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:30 PM   #7414
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Actually I had something else in mind.

The ending.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-13-2017, 11:45 PM   #7415
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm late to reply sorry, I'm assuming you've seen a source by now but if you haven't:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...season/.113293

No info on when it's coming. Hopefully it's this year!
Old 03-14-2017, 01:09 AM   #7416
Talon87
時の彼方へ

On March 11, 2017, it was reported that CrunchyRoll has deliberately halved the bitrate quality of 720p and 1080p video files, a.k.a. paying customers are paying for shittier videos now than they were before. I guess it exploded in CR's face and they're in damage control mode right now and have (temporarily?) gone back to the older, larger bitrates ... but I guess it's also the case that the shittier bitrates aren't entirely new either -- they first started showing up in 2016? -- and that they apply to any files on the site over a week old? Hrm.

Quote:
What this means in practice is that if you’re not watching something the day it airs on Crunchyroll, you’re getting lower quality video than pirates who can still watch the higher bitrate initial release (since that’s what all the pirate rippers grab). And that is some straight-up bullshit. Legal, paying users should not be getting worse quality video than pirates, period.
And in a crazier turn of "What a small world!" events, this news story was brought to you by none other than Daiz. Yes: that Daiz. Wow. Never expected to run into him here. What a small world indeed.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:19 AM   #7417
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
On March 11, 2017, it was reported that CrunchyRoll has deliberately halved the bitrate quality of 720p and 1080p video files, a.k.a. paying customers are paying for shittier videos now than they were before. I guess it exploded in CR's face and they're in damage control mode right now and have (temporarily?) gone back to the older, larger bitrates ... but I guess it's also the case that the shittier bitrates aren't entirely new either -- they first started showing up in 2016? -- and that they apply to any files on the site over a week old? Hrm.

And in a crazier turn of "What a small world!" events, this news story was brought to you by none other than Daiz. Yes: that Daiz. Wow. Never expected to run into him here. What a small world indeed.

Yeah. I have been on the verge of cutting my Crunchyroll subscription over this shit. It was a noticeable drop in quality, just a year after they put out their commercial talking about all of the state of the art quality increases they added to make the stream seamless, almost perfect in quality (for high-end connections). This felt like a real bait and switch.

in before >legally watching anime streams >2017
Old 03-14-2017, 11:12 PM   #7418
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watched the first episode of Kuzu no Honkai a.k.a. Scum's Wish. It was okay. I kept getting mixed vibes from it. Is it A or is it B?
  1. the fusion of Toradora! and Aku no Hana
  2. the fusion of Toradora! and Kimi ni Todoke
Hanazawa Kana's delivery as protagonist Hanabi, along with the animation style and the direction, made this feel an awful lot like the boring, sedate Kimi ni Todoke. But the "darkness" of the premise, both advertised and reported by other viewers, would seem to suggest the polar opposite in an Aku no Hana. So which is it? Because clearly our story is at least one-half Toradora! ripoff -- "a boy and a girl team up to support one another in their quest to win over their respective crushes" -- while the other half (i.e. the outcome) remains to be seen.

If it's "Tora ni Todoke", I'm out. Toradora! is already great as it is, and Kimi ni Todoke-fying it isn't going to make it better. If instead it's "Tora no Hana", then I'm cautiously optimistic and might stick around for more episodes.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:46 PM   #7419
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Is that the dirty bonobo trainwreck? If it is, I can't see your other comparisons aside from Toradora!. I get the team-up but the other parts aren't nearly as clear.

Kuzu no Honkai is an anime of interest to epidemiologists. Infect one of the one of the characters with Chlamydia trachomatis. Then, test the whole cast for The Clam during Episode 12.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by deoxys; 03-15-2017 at 01:29 AM. Reason: abusing mod powers to correct a typo that's bothering me
Old 03-15-2017, 03:27 AM   #7420
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I miss anime bros

One month from now I'll finally have some free time again, and I'll check out Tora Dora. I always thought people calling it "The greatest love story ever told" was sarcasm but maybe there's something to it?

I had also been watching Hajime no Ippo, the boxing anime, and got through 13 episodes before putting it on hold. It's okay but I was expecting so much more. With all the praise I saw, I thought it had potential to be on Hikaru no Go's level, but so far I'm not seeing it.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #7421
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ippo is most famous for scrotal jokes. Like, packages so massive you have to ship them FedEx. I think bodybuilders will get it since the "homoeroticism" is very prevalent in Ippo's humour. That aside it's your standard god-given supertalent high school Japanese athlete show, albeit in late 2000's Madhouse art-style. What strikes me about that is how you've seen "Inner Light' but took so long to watch the anime.

Me, I've been so busy training, working, and cursing American Telegraph & Telephone Inc. that I've had little time to write about anime, but I've been watching it and I know others have too. I've got some fun train tracks to lay down if only someone will bite. Like, I even had a list of jokes for Kuzu no Honkai in case someone watched it (go Talon!), that have been festering in my Notepad.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #7422
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I do appreciate the dick jokes.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #7423
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
I miss anime bros
I do too. But for me it isn't like "oh I grew out of it" or "sigh anime these days is so crappy." (Although, when I take a gander at the offerings, I do think that second one's got some claim ...! ^^; ) If you're not watching much anime right now either, I suspect your reasons are pretty similar to my own -- got a lot of other stuff to do and only so many hours in the day, week, month, and year in which to do it. I know you do a lot of physical training. I know you at least used to, if not still today, allocate a lot of time to e-sports. And of course you also work. All of these things take up your time. For me it's a pretty similar situation, although mine plays out more in my own head as a "queue" or a "list", where in any given month I have a list of some, say, five projects that are 1-2-3-4-5 ranked in priority and then every so often an invader from outer space will arrive to cut in line. For example, this month that 1-2-3-4-5 list could probably be filled out like "Japanese, Pokémon Sun, Katawa Shoujo, Skyward Sword, re-watching Prisma Ilya S1 to pave the way to finishing S2 and starting S3 and S4," and for the cutters in line we have ourselves Logan which has forced me to go and watch First Class, Days of Future Past, and soon The Wolverine and Apocalypse, all because of a movie that I didn't even know existed two months ago and that now I'd really like to see.

Me watching Kuzu no Honkai Episode 01 was pretty exceptional. I haven't tuned in for a currently-airing anime since Diamond is Unbreakable wrapped up. I still haven't finished a backlog of animes both started and unstarted. But I guess it was just one of those "fated chemical reaction outcomes" of brain chemistry, or something. The dominoes fell in such a pattern as to predestine, if you will, that I should watch Kuzu no Honkai last night. And what do I have to show for it? I didn't even like it that much!

Quote:
One month from now I'll finally have some free time again, and I'll check out Tora Dora. I always thought people calling it "The greatest love story ever told" was sarcasm but maybe there's something to it?
"Greatest love story ever told," I don't know that I've ever said that or would say that. But it's a fantastic anime. I recently re-watched it in full for what had to have been at least the fourth time in my life. A life where I find myself having re-watched precious few anime, precious fewer more than twice. I dunno. Your mileage will almost certainly vary, if my friend in town is anything to go by. (He absolutely hated it. Was like pulling teeth to even get him to Episode 10. He made it only slightly farther and then dropped it harder than a bag of potatoes off the Empire State Building.) But for me, it's its author's lightning in a bottle.

Quote:
I do appreciate the dick jokes.
So I reinvented this one while at work today, and had absolutely no one I could share it with:

"If dicks had nicknames, yours would be called Microsoft!"
Old 03-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #7424
McSweeney
Soul Badge

It's been a rough couple of years for me. Time has been so hard to come by that I've only been going to the gym once a week if I'm lucky. On top of working full time I've also been going to university because I figured that age 32 was the perfect time to begin an undergraduate degree! I had to spend time studying for the LSAT exam as well. It paid off though because I managed to get accepted into law school after only 2 years and I'm starting this September. I'm sure law firms will be all over the opportunity to hire a rookie lawyer who's nearly 40!

Also I can't unsee "Microsoft" now.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #7425
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
It's been a rough couple of years for me. Time has been so hard to come by that I've only been going to the gym once a week if I'm lucky. On top of working full time I've also been going to university because I figured that age 32 was the perfect time to begin an undergraduate degree! I had to spend time studying for the LSAT exam as well. It paid off though because I managed to get accepted into law school after only 2 years and I'm starting this September. I'm sure law firms will be all over the opportunity to hire a rookie lawyer who's nearly 40!
I've always been cheering for you and now I get to cheer for the newest chapter in your life with all of my Phoenix Wright-loving might. :o YOU'RE OUR RESIDENT HOSAKA, MY MAN! YOU GOT THIS! Cheering for you all the fucking way. And don't sell yourself short just yet -- I think a lot of legal firms will appreciate the maturity and world experience that a 36-year old brings to the table over a 26-year old.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime