UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 02-05-2016, 11:19 PM   #7101
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
It and Konosuba are the two big shows this season.

Boku ga Inai Machi is structured like a visual novel. The original work isn't a VN, but the anime feels very much like a good thriller visual novel adaption. The high production values and thoughtful writing are a good contrast for Konosuba.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #7102
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

KonoSuba
One word. EXPLOSION!!!!!

(Being a toad slayer is suffering)

Grimgar
I'm liking this a fair bit (although Ranta pisses me off. Even if he's the idiot who decides to invade baths to peep on girls). Sort of a whiplash given KonoSuba is so cheerful and wacky while Grimgar just drops you into the reality of a newbie in the fantasy world of survival. It really does put it into perspective how stuff isn't all beauty and flashy EXPLOSIONS!!!!!

(Being a goblin is suffering)

Also the music for most of the shows this season are amazing, I'm loving them.

Need to watch:
Phantom World
Naturally. It's fanservice. Gotta go see how good that fanservice is.

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:59 AM   #7103
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crys View Post
To anyone currently watching Boku Dake ga Inai Machi: Is it worth adding to the watch list? I've heard positive things about it, but i'm having doubts as to whether I should give it a shot.
Five episodes in, I'm enjoying it every week -- it's the entertainment highlight of my seven days -- but I'm more cautious now than I was with Episode 01 about proclaiming this as one of the all-time greats. Initially I was feeling the 10/10 but exercised restraint. Now I'm wavering between an objective 8 and a subjective 9. But an 8 out of 10 is still a great score. (MAL scale. 5 is average, 6 fair, 7 good. 8 is better than good.)

When I think back over what I've seen the past two years, my top pick would probably be Death Parade. (Watch Death Billiards first if you haven't already!) But Boku dake ga Inai Machi is so far really great too, and is easily the best anime I've seen in the past six months.

Why are you having doubts about giving it a shot?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #7104
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It looks like Mob Psycho 100 is getting an anime adaption:

link.

This is the other major work by ONE, creator of One Punch Man. Unlike OPM, which remains in hobby webcomic status, Mob is a professional work and so receives regular updates.

OPM's character designer is on-board for this anime, but it unfortunately looks like it's borrowing heavily from ONE's webcomic style, versus Murata's. Perhaps the humour will he handled better, and so the overall look comes across as rather...poor quality. Death Parade's director and Fate/stay night's composer are also on the team.

Mob itself is, I think, better written (and more frequently funny) but with a massively inferior premise to OPM. It's popular with Naruto's demographic - "oh, I'm a loner junior high kid who is really a diamond in the rough!" type. Most of the OPM archetypes except Saitama are recycled with different roles in Mob.

My biggest prediction: Talon will latch onto this series and shower it with affection, in spite of how much constant passive-aggressive disparagement I through at it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #7105
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Minor updates and whatnot.

Dagashi Kashi
Episode 4 was an improvement, but this show is still only okay. I feel so stupid for gushing about the first episode the way I did. I do like how the main guy is getting used to Hotaru, and how he deals with her nonsense. How she plugs candy into everything is fucking annoying though. "Want to imitate the adults, SMOKE A CANDY CIGARETTE!" Like a bad advertisement.

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
Decided to watch this. So far it's actually pretty good. I didn't want to touch it because DEEN likes to low budget and halfass their anime. You still see it in parts, with the recycled scenes and QUALITY here and there. Main guy is nice. He's very frank with the girls (outright calling one a bitch), and he's very competent, but not overpowered. It sucks this came from a LN though. I would like to read the source material for the rest of the story, because you know the anime won't have a conclusive ending, but LNs are rarely fully translated.

Also to anyone who watched Dungeon Deai: How similar is this show to Dungeon Deai? Both seem to parody RPGs, and both have a haughty goddess who doesn't believe in underwear.

Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu
The name "Tanaka Romeo" was brought up in this, so I decided to give this show a shot. The first half of the show was kinda boring. Then the second half comes along, and it becomes irritatingly meta. Like this girl just gushes about how anime and visual novels are written. Just something about that rubbed me the wrong way. I only watched episode 1, so maybe it'll get better?

Miman Renai
Something else Doppel shoved in my face, and honestly, I don't see why. This manga is frustrating. Main girl is cute, but that doesn't forgive how stupid and annoying main guy is. He keeps doing awkward stupid shit. Sneaking in this girl's school and cheering for her in PE class? Fucking seriously?
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:37 PM   #7106
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Didn't recognize the name Dagashi Kashi.

Finally decided to look up which franchise these girls I keep seeing in eromanga are from.

... It's Dagashi Kashi. *sigh*

So ... if the H scene is anything to judge by, Akihabara is in love with this franchise right now. But according to you guys, it's only a mediocre anime. That seems to be MAL's consensus too: it only enjoys a 3˝-star rating right now out of a possible 5. (More precisely, it has a score of 7.16 out of 10.) That's ... not very good. I mean, it's okay! But when you're averaging 7, that means there are plenty of people out there who think the show is 5 or lower compared with the hordes of eromangaka who can't stop drawing Hotaru and to a lesser extent Saya.

Going to table even watching the first episode for now, but if the series picks up please do let me know.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:11 AM   #7107
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The only thing it has going for it is the art. It's Shimoneta's art-style. The show itself is but a vehicle for the sweet character designs.

Konosuba

This show continues to impress, dropping another hilarious episode on my nuts. That should hurt, but it was so hilarious I barely noticed the pain.

I'd say Konosuba is 4-5 now, with only Episode 04 weaker than the others. Everything other episode has been outrageous.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-11-2016, 12:31 AM   #7108
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

I actually enjoyed Episode 4 a fair bit for the character interaction between Megumin and Kazuma. Not to mention explosion spam. Then again, the show has been ridiculous so far.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Last edited by KamenAeons; 02-11-2016 at 09:02 PM. Reason: something something names what are they
Old 02-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #7109
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Konosuba

This episode was actually pretty moving. It wasn't exceptionally funny, but still had its moments. It's interesting that the blood stained snow was really creepy and the only real violence we've seen so far in the series.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #7110
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Hanayome wa motodanshi:

So I saw this recommended on tumblr, was pretty interested, and checked it out. There is only six chapters out (so far, I think there might be more coming), but oh my word I love this manga so much. It's about a transgender woman talking being transgender: what her life was like before, transitioning, marriage, and the stuff that came in between. It's really, really cute and uplifting, and I pretty much ate it all up...for obvious reasons! I really recommend it. =w=b
Old 02-27-2016, 05:02 AM   #7111
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Gate
Started it recently. I liked the earlier episodes a lot. The newer ones aren't so bad, but the pedo/loli nonsense is starting to bug me.

Phantasy Star Online 2: The Animation
Just started it because I'm a big Phantasy Star Online nerd... but is this really an anime about high school kids who play an MMORPG... and not like get stuck in it and have to murder each other? Also the school is called Seiga Academy. And SEGA made Phantasy Star Online 2. And apparently this MMO is used to evaluate the student's social network. This is a weird school. But if I got to play an MMO at school, I'd probably apply...
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #7112
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Aqua is REALLY dumb.

Who would try to stay warm outside, in freezing weather?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #7113
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Aqua is REALLY dumb.

Who would try to stay warm outside, in freezing weather?
It's an enjoyable stupidity, though. Refreshing, even.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #7114
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Also considering they live in a barn where there's a ton of hay, you probably don't want to have a fire where there's lots of flammable stuff.

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Old 03-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #7115
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Hi, popping in to say ya'll need to check out She and Her Cat - Everything Flows.

It's one of those 8-minutes-per-episode shows, but it's about a cat (he has an inner narrator voice) living with a girl who's about to graduate college. Her roommate moves out, she needs to find a job to support herself and her cat, the usual uncertainties of a young person's life. It's scarily relate-able. But the best part is the cat: he's not overly-anime looking but rather an average adult cat with natural cat movement and lack-there-of (most of the first episode he spends sitting down, this isn't a hyper-active Chi-type cat). To him the apartment is his home, he doesn't really understand the world at large and he is painfully aware that even when his owner is hurting, he can't ease the pain. He can only be there and listen patiently. There is still a feeling that it helps, even if the cat doesn't necessarily get it.

The world outside is difficult to understand and sometimes a bit cruel, but your cat still loves you. :'3

I'll admit I have a bias as a cat-lover. Regardless, I recommend the series as a look at another way to do pet anime and pet animation. At the very least it is a very pretty and even poetic anime!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:16 PM   #7116
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Remember that one time when Talon criticized Nyarlko-chan? I forgot the specifics, I just recall the criticism, and kind-of agreeing with it.

Turns out I was just a tiny grasshopper, un-aware of just how much effort went into that "abomination" (I say that fondly).

BORKED

Strongly considering giving Nyarlko a second chance. I hear it was hot and ended on a pink note.

She and Her Cat

I watched this based on kaisa's recommendation. I want to face my fears - the social anxiety problem - and had a feeling based on her pitch it would be troublesome for me. I actually liked it a lot, but did feel some very light social anxiety. So it was a good experience.

kaisa should have also mentioned this was a Makoto Shinkai work. :p
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-06-2016, 11:22 PM   #7117
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Quote:
Remember that one time when Talon criticized Nyarlko-chan? I forgot the specifics, I just recall the criticism, and kind-of agreeing with it.

Turns out I was just a tiny grasshopper, un-aware of just how much effort went into that "abomination" (I say that fondly).

BORKED

Strongly considering giving Nyarlko a second chance. I hear it was hot and ended on a pink note.
Good call, Dopple. For someone who watched Kamen Rider like mad as a kid, seeing Nyarlko was a treat.

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Old 03-06-2016, 11:45 PM   #7118
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Nyarlko may have had a lot of effort put into it. It's still unpalatable for me. I hate the title character, I'm turned off by the loli fan service (Episode 02 presumably onward), and I hate the title character. I could force myself to watch Nyarlko, as I did with Reborn, but I expect the result would be much the same.

A lot of what that guy listed though falls into one of three categories:
  1. references to the Cthulu mythos
  2. references to Japanese pop culture
  3. references to the staff
I'll acknowledge every single one of them and the "work" it takes to place them in the series, but I use the air quotes here because the Cthulu one aside these references don't require much work to insert. You don't have to do your homework the way you did with Haruhi where they physically visited the location upon which Tanigawa based the story and drew the show identically to its real-life counterpart. You just draw a generic made-up house with a gambrel roof and boom, H.P. Lovecraft reference GET. You don't have to do much homework to insert a JoJo quote if you've already decided you want to use the JoJo quote. (Or, more likely, the author decided he wanted to use the JoJo quote and all you're doing is adapting the light novel source material to television.) How much work does it really take to draw a teacher looking like her voice actress looks in real life? You have her right there in the studio. You take a picture or fetch one from online and roll with it. You don't need to visit any locations. This isn't Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame here.

Credit where credit is due. Nyarlko shows more effort went into it than I previously thought.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #7119
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Under no circumstances would I reclassify Nyarlko as a craft anime - even if I saw it, I would highly doubt it would reach Haruhi status. But Konosuba has interested me enough to revisit it, as Nyarlko received an awful lot of support at the time in spite of what was immediately apparent as a poor premise. And, I still see people voice affection for it, and I know BBB liked it despite him not watching or hating similarly themed shows.

Konosuba had a pretty bad first episode too. And the initial premise - otaku hikkiNEET dies and is reborn along with teen goddess in a hentai RPG with all his futureboy knowledge - looks no less bad. Konosuba corrected itself toward the end of the first episode and has been conquering Gaul ever since.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #7120
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
She and Her Cat

I watched this based on kaisa's recommendation. I want to face my fears - the social anxiety problem - and had a feeling based on her pitch it would be troublesome for me. I actually liked it a lot, but did feel some very light social anxiety. So it was a good experience.

kaisa should have also mentioned this was a Makoto Shinkai work. :p
I didn't notice it was a Makoto Shinkai work, to be honest. :'3 (And at the moment the name isn't telling me anything, sorry )

Speaking of the series, it's a sequel-ish/AU thing to another She and Her Cat - a short film that explores some more abstract themes. It's also from 1999, by Makoto Shinkai (he even voices the cat), so this is a long-waited continuation and expansion to the story.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #7121
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

This week's Konosuba episode was over the top.

Hahahaha.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #7122
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just went to update my MyAnimeList page. Since the last time I updated, roughly three weeks ago, they've redesigned the appearance of the anime list and manga list pages, the namesake of the site. Iiiiiiiiiiit ... loses the forest for the trees. Placing form over function, it prioritizes the presence of thumbnails of the animes' posters but at the cost of the easy-to-glance-at tabulation of the page. Before you could see your entire Currently Watching table and a good-sized uppermost portion of your Completed table. Now all you can see is like three shows tops. So much screen real estate wasted to visual bloat. It doesn't even look that pretty, sadly, which means it's an altogether bad decision to have gone with. If the entire point was "sacrificing efficiency for beauty," then at least look beautiful. The current look doesn't do this. It just looks garish and juvenile, the sort of design you'd expect from a high schooler. It honestly looks so bad that I'm wondering if a rival will now show up (or, if already present, gain ground), a rival who offers a much simpler presentation that isn't so garish and places substance before style, function over form. I'm here to keep tabs on which shows I've seen, not look at a digital bookshelf. The digital bookshelf is fine for those who want it, but it would have been better as a separate page. "MyBookshelf," maybe. Click on it and see side-by-side thumbnails of all the shows you're watching, have completed, etc. But leave the table-list alone as a proper table, with minimum waste and maximum information density on the screen.

Because Doppel won't shut up about KonoSuba , and because MyAnimeList's No.1 recommendation is BokuMachi and right next to that their No.2 recommendation is KonoSuba, I decided to go ahead and take a look at its MyAnimeList synopsis. I'd forgotten Doppel brought this one up in relation to Nyarlko, and yeah: I'll admit that the Nyarlko / Shakugana no Shana vibes I'm getting from this one automatically make me worry it's a 6/10 at best, possibly much worse. But the premise of "a guy who chooses reincarnation in a video game world over guaranteed entry to Heaven" is interesting, particularly if you subscribe to the idea of Heaven either as a) eternal bliss or b) your choice of dream afterlife. (It's like ... why not just choose the Heaven option and then have your Heaven be a video game world? ) So we'll see. I might look into this one later this week if I have the time. Which I probably won't. Been really busy lately. Couldn't even get my BokuMachi 09 post done in time for yesterday's episode. We'll see though.

Last edited by Talon87; 03-11-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #7123
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't blame you for disliking the design. I can't speak for MAL personally, but it's a major trend on the internet now to make things flasier and JavaScript-obnoxious. Websites back in the day used to feature form over functionality because the internet cared about letting people with the worst internet speeds access and use websites, so sites had to be streamlined and compact. Now, because the layout is a form of advertising, and JavaScript helps prevent AdBlock from working, almost everyone is jumping on the clickbait train.

Initially, I suspected that website redesigns were done so mobile users would have an easier time (recall the UPN mobile discussion from a while back). Then I get a mobile, and discover there are mobile-deskstop versions of the same website! And the mobile version is EASIER to navigate on either device than the regular site!

The premise you bring up was actually a major negative for me! Stories like that are so popular right now in the LN scene, they got a label, "iisekai". Lots of bad fiction is coming out featuring that genre and spoiling enthusiasm for any original takes.

The art/animation can be distractingly bad, though. This week's episode was funny, but I couldn't get over the poor-looking fanservice.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #7124
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

She and Her Cat - Everything Flows Episode 2

I LOVE THIS LITTLE SHOW SO MUCH.

This episode dives into the first meeting of the girl and the cat - starting with a difference in their perceptions of when they first met. For the cat it was the rainy day he was brought to the house, to the girl it was the day she brought the cat to the house herself after trying to abandon the cat due to...issues. It is also established that the cat, named Daru (I kept forgetting this the first episode), doesn't understand human language and vice-versa.

I absolutely adored the part where Daru brings the depressed girl a lizard. She's yelling and absolutely not happy, but the cat's all "GOOD, SHE PERKED UP! 83". There is something so very cat about that.

The episode also touches upon the girl's past problem: her isolation and loneliness after moving into a new place with her mom after the father either left her mom or he died. Mom's busy at work all day and night and the girl has trouble making friends in a new school. Mom's tentative solution is to bring in a kitten - AND GOOD LORD IS DARU A CUTE KITTEN.

Whether the girl just doesn't like cats or thinks mom is doing a bad thing by trying to compensate for her absence with a pet, the girl really doesn't like this cat. Daru is oblivious to all this and spends his time doing what cats do: sleep, play, knock over things occasionally and bring "presents" to their owners. The girl isn't impressed by the broken mug she got from her dad, or the anti-depression live lizard, and attempts to leave the cat in a box under a bridge.

Fortunately she has a change of heart and takes Daru back. The power of kitten cuteness draws in a girl from the same school and the two girls bond over petting Daru (DAT STRATEGIC PURRING ). After this the girl brings Daru back home and apparently gets over her loneliness with new friends and her loyal kitty.

The ending shows that while the girl and her cat don't always think the exact same things, they match up pretty well on occasion. And maybe the cat sometimes knows better what's good for the human than the human does!

I kind of wish the episodes were longer, but that would probably get in the way of showing how the beauty is in the little things: the sunsets, the single little moments, just random events that you might not even remember the next day being tied to a longer narrative. And this applies to the show itself, with it being able to tell so much more about the two characters in less than five minutes a week than some shows do in over 700 25-minute-episodes. This show is truly a pleasure to watch.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:32 AM   #7125
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

While I've fallen extremely behind on Boku Dake ga Inai Machi, I'm up to date on Konosuba and just want to pop in and say (since relevant to discussion) I definitely enjoy it more than Nyaruko. It's admittedly been a year since I've seen the latter, so I might be forgetting some things, but looking back and comparing the two, I feel Konosuba is more varied in its humor and is in general just all around funnier. If Konosuba runs as long as Nyaruko did, it'll easily outclass it.

Tbh Konosuba just has this really amazing Saturday morning cartoon vibe that I guess I've been missing or something. and Megumin is bae like oml she's so precious I just want to hug her

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime