Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #4851
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Congrats on the two A's! Aww on the F. ^^;;
Yeah I'm not sure what happened there. According to the raw score I should have a D (68%), but anything lower than a C is automatically an F for my program. Almost all the undergraduates got low D's or F's (30-50%) and I think most of the graduate students got C's. The highest grade was an 80%.

I was going to watch Jojo/PreCure yesterday but saved it for today cause I didn't want to slack off and randomly take a hit on today's.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #4852
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Yay, Nightmare Week is over!

Three exams. I got two A's and an F. Now I can get back to what's important!
'Grats(?), Dopple. I've got three this week as well. One more tomorrow and then I'm done... *dies*
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #4853
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Caught up on Doki and Jojo. Both were great! HxH and other stuff I've been neglecting come soon. I think after I polish off LB, I'll pick up PP again.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #4854
Talon87
時の彼方へ

JJBA: Commie needs to fire their JoJo typesetter, or at least hire some assistants to help him out with his work. They keep blaming the number of signs in JJBA for why they take so long to get episodes out, but:
  1. We're 2˝ weeks behind right now. (Still no 19, 20, or 21.)
  2. There is somebody in Japan who animates the very SFX and signs that this guy is typesetting.
  3. Said person is able to do his job in seven day allotments. Clearly. Because the episodes air each week.
  4. Meanwhile JJBA's typesetter keeps "LOL! " posting unasked-for game review posts on their blog.
Now I realize that whether or not you broadcast to the world that you have a private life and you do other things with your spare time besides the one thing people know you for, you have a private life and you do other things with your spare time besides the one thing people know you for. I'm not stupid or unreasonable. I get that. This guy times anime in his spare time ... and he plays video games ... and he masturbates ... and he cooks ... and he cleans ... and he talks with his friends ... so on and so on and so forth. I get that. But like, you can't keep blaming it on the high volume of typesettable text when you're slower than the guy who hand drew the SFX text and signs into the episodes in the first place. It should not be taking you one week to take translated text (ALREADY TRANSLATED FOR YOU BY THE TRANSLATOR) and time stamps (ALREADY LINED UP FOR YOU BY THE TIMER) and to then simply lend that text an ideal x,y-coordinate that renders properly in most media players. Should not take you a week.

So yeah. Frustrated. -_-; I don't want to island hop over to Nutbladder or gg but I'm finding myself to be a very annoying broken record on this point and I've just about given up on Commie ever kicking their typesetter's ass into gear and/or hiring him some assistants so that they can catch up and stay caught up. It really does baffle the mind though. Their homepage is plastered with JJBA stuff, so clearly someone high up quite likes it. So you'd think he'd tell the limiting reagent "Hey, quit dicking around and get us caught back up! " not just for the sake of the group's public image but for his own entertainment value: I know he isn't the TL (the TL is some new guy they picked up off the street, as far as I can tell, to whom they are quite grateful that he translates JJBA for them) and so I presume that he doesn't speak fluent enough Japanese to watch JoJo raw. Which means he has a personal interest in seeing the project getting caught back up and remaining caught up.

Psycho-Pass: I don't recall where you put it down, but the last episode was pretty darn good but for a personal gripe with Gen's unfamiliarity with the (im)plausibility of [the thing he's going to have a certain character attempt]. I'll be pretty interested to hear from you if the story is still closely adhering to the mysterious story you claim I'm familiar with and is what Gen is homaging/plagiarizing/whatever we want to call this at this point.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:56 AM   #4855
Char
Banned

Tamako Market manages to keep my interest. Just watched episode 9, quite nice in my opinion.

It's like a nice pleasant little distraction.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #4856
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Monster episode 21 (sort of)

Spoiler: show
AHHHHHH

WATCHING THIS LATE AT NIGHT WAS THE WORST IDEA EVER

THAT WINDOW SCENE SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME
Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #4857
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't remember if I got as far as 21. It was right around there that I tabled Monster for other things and then ... well, it's been some five years since now. ^^; I think I might've gotten around that far. Let's see ... *goes to MyAnimeList* ... 20! XD I made it through Episode 20. Just one shy of where you are now. Congrats.

*tempted to ask you to catch me up on Episodes 1-20 just so I can resume without having to watch 1-20 all over again ... that's 8-9 hours ;_;*
Old 03-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #4858
McSweeney
Soul Badge

So remember how I was talking about "The Madoka Movie" and how it's the anime series compressed into one film? It's actually TWO movies. I was also lamenting about it not coming to my city. I just found out that it IS coming to my city ... on Thursday. It's a one time only showing, but I managed to get the day off work, so I'M THERE! The second movie will be one week later, but there's no way I'll be able to get that day off too. I think I can live with only seeing the first movie in the theatre, and catching the second one later when it's released on DVD. Just seeing Madoka once, on the big screen, with the big sound in a theatre full of people instead of on my computer screen cooped up in my room should be a sufficiently bizarre experience that I can cherish for the rest of my life.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #4859
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Still not doing much as far as anime goes. P3 is a massive timesink. I think I'll start on Period soon though. Anyway I mostly just posted to talk about the latest Jewelpet.

Jewelpet Kiradeco
I'm 48 episodes through this. I'm still not sure when this will end, since the latest few episodes haven't exactly been "last episode" episodes. This is really cool for a kid's show. One of the more recent episodes was about a girl who believed end of world theories. It was amusing because everyone treated her like a fucking moron. Then at the end of the episode, when the end of the world was "prevented", she said "the next end of the world is in 2 weeks, so I better get started on preventing that from happening!". For whatever reason, it has a bunch of shout-outs to older viewers. There's not much in the way of plot, but it's still a very fun show, even if it's pretty fucked up at times.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #4860
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Sakurasou: Seen 22, will post later.

Puchimas: Seen thru 53, will post later.

Polar Bear Cafe: Seen 48, will post later.

Gintama: Seen 263, can comment now. This arc strikes me as "the Elizabeth arc done right". It's silly and bears a lot of similarities to past arcs, but I'm still able to enjoy it. I honestly prefer this arc to the previous one, even though the previous arc had a lot more bearing on the franchise's overall plot.

Saint Young Men: So, there's this manga called Saint Young Men. It's about Jesus Christ and Siddhartha Gautama (the Buddha) imagined as flatmates in modern Japan. A film is coming out in theaters this May, but the first of a two-part OAV just came out earlier this week. The premise sounds like it could be either quite amusing or else really, really awful. (I'm a little anxious given the Buddha is shown with ginormous ears and Jesus is shown wearing the crown of thorns. ^^;; ) But we'll see, we'll see!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #4861
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Period
I'm a few days into this. I've been introduced to the main cast and have been introduced to what this VN is possibly about. So far I'm not impressed. While I like the main guy's thought process, he's still dull. He's like Oreki from Hyouka, but more hotheaded. Some of the characters are annoying, and the first meetings with some of them are really cliche. Speaking of Oreki, the part I went through was kinda like Hyouka, where the main guy had to solve a riddle to find a key. It wasn't bad, but when he solved it, oh holy fuck was it ridiculously overdramatic. It started a god damn emotional insert song and a bunch of characters I haven't even been with long enough to care for came in cool shounen recruit style, which just left me with an eyebrow raised the entire time. I'm hoping things improve. Quartet had potential to be really good, but ended up being rushed out the ass. This is longer, but from the same people, so hopefully this will fix Quartet's problem. One plus is the art. I've mentioned before, but I really like Oyari Ashito's art.

I guess a small update on other things will be nice. Some will be things that already have a thread, but they're just a sentence, so I'm not bothering making another post just for something that short.

Tamako Market
Last week's episode was good, but that's one good episode in a sea of dull. Hopefully I can choke through this without incident.

Minami-ke Tadaima
Nothing special. It has some cute moments, and I get a chuckle here and there, but otherwise it's eeeh. Though if it's any consolation, it's the only show of the season that I don't consider bad, so it's the best show of the season!

Doki Doki Precure
We just ran into our first horribly written episode. We had some hints at it for the first few episodes, but this episode just blew us away with awful. I hope this is a one-time thing. I don't want to treat this like Smile.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #4862
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I have returned from Madoka movie 1! The house was nearly packed, I should have expected as much from a one time only showing. It was rather bizarre how they started the movie right away without a single ad or preview. Not even some anthropomorphic popcorn boxes and Coke cups urging me to go to the lobby to get myself a treat. This isn't how I remember movie theatres ...

It was indeed a condensed TV series. You're paying for the novelty of seeing Madoka on the big screen, not for anything new. One unfortunate omission from the movie was ol' Football Head's dream at the start of the TV series. That was a neat little "wtf am I watching, wtf was that?" moment to start off the story. OH WELL. Another thing I wasn't happy about was how they rushed Mami's last battle against a witch. It featured a new rendition of the Credens Justitiam song, but the anime version of Mami showing off her fancy rifle slinging moves was longer and cooler. out of all the things they could have condensed, this should not have been one of them. If anything, they should have made this part longer for the movie!

Other than that, it was good. If someone, god forbid, said that they had no time to watch a 12 episode anime series and wanted to watch the movies instead, I would have no major objections. This first movie covered the first 8 episodes, the next one will cover only 4, so it shouldn't have many omissions at all. A damn shame I won't be able to watch it and see the shit really hit the fan in a full theatre environment.

During the intro, they showed this clip of Madoka and Homura nuzzling their faces together and I heard female squees in the audience (????????).

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #4863
Talon87
時の彼方へ

hahaha @ that last bit

Surprised it's just the TV series condensed. Is the animation significantly improved or different? Is there new content?

How long was it? 'Cause if you say 2h40m, and if the next one is (say) 2h00m, then it'd be so flipping nuts of somebody to be okay with watching the films but not the TV series on the basis of length. (12 x 25 / 60 = 5 hours, and that hypothetical film math would be 4 hours 40 minutes. THEY'RE THE SAME! ) But if it's like 90 minutes and 80 minutes, then I guess that's different. (Still though. >_>)

Did the first film end after a "blue fight"?

Surprised they cut Mami's fight from Episode 03 so short, you're saying. I too would think that'd be the sort of scene they'd play up in a film version of the series given just how wild the fans went over it. (People are still making artwork referencing that scene.)

Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:36 AM   #4864
McSweeney
Soul Badge

It was 2 hours 10 minutes long. Yeah, it would be pretty dumb to watch the movie over the TV series due to time constraints, I'm just saying, if someone insisted on doing it this way it wouldn't be a huge loss.

Animation improvement: Not really. I'm not actually sure if they genuinely re-animated the whole thing or just upscaled the TV anime, but it looked similar. Good thing the TV series already had good animation if that's the case! I heard that they added some small things though, like a new Sayaka transformation sequence? I didn't really notice.

The movie ended on a nice "Oh shit" revelation for the uninitiated.

Shortly after Sayaka kills the two assholes on the subway train, and it cuts to Kyubey who says, "Half-grown women are called magical girls here, so it's only appropriate that they grow into witches."

Daaaamn, it sucks so much that I won't be able to see the infamous episode 10 play out on the big screen. That, and Homura attempting to nuke Walpurgis Night.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 03-15-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #4865
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Oh look, I found a gif of that clip I was talking about.

It's not like I didn't know what was going on with those girls, but that many? I expect to hear female squees when two dudes rub their faces together.

Wait a minute, how in god's name is that jpg animated?

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #4866
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Reading three manga. I think I'll head back to LB in a bit.

TerraForMars - kind of a weird MLA-ish spin-off, humans decide in the late 21st century to colonize Mars, and sent moss and cockroaches to the planet's surface to enrich the soil. Fifty years later, the first expedition to Mars is wiped out. A few decades after that, a second expedition arrives to discover Mars inhabited by life - the cockroaches have evolved into humanoid brutes, with a pathogenic hatred of humans!

The plot's a bit dumb, but the art is dang sexy in this. I don't use that adjective often but it's ridiculously good looking. Here's a sample.

Not the most substantial title, but a decent read for the gorgeous art.

Miman Renai - this was a title I started a while back, and spoiled myself on the ending of. Thus far, it's a bit sweet but I can't help but find it a bit too contrived as well. It's basically the story of a 30 something computer programmer working for a famous eroge company (which he started with his busty, female high school senpai) analogous to elf, and he finds himself in a budding relationship with a 14 year old girl.

I like to call this title "Kodomo no Jikan for kids" because KnJ kind of compromises its supposedly substantial message with loli fanservice, and there's none of that in this title. The main guy is pretty decent, I kind of think of him as loner Morg, and doesn't entertain any impure thoughts. Rather, his affectionate relationship (which I will point out isn't a brother-sister or father-daughter style one, or moe relationship) brings insight into his own childhood and how he became who he was. There's a scene early on where Tomoe asks him about his dream, and he realizes he doesn't have one, but she pointed out that he loved video games as a child, and ended up becoming a video game programmer (in a way), so he inadvertently succeeded in what he wanted to do.

Iinazuke Kyoutei - this is like Muv-Luv Extra. I swear, the first chapter reeked of it. The childhood friend un-screws the main guy's door so she can wake him up, feed him breakfast and put him in a perverted situation. The two live side-by-side in close houses where their balconies line-up. Main dude has a bunch of child-hood friends who are betrothed to him and they're not only aggressive, they're comically rich and powerful.

Unlike Extra, the three pushy girls are not as charming as Meiya, and the child-hood friend is a lot less obnoxious than Sumika. Main guy is different but equal to Takeru. It's not hard to guess who I'm shipping.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 03-15-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #4867
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Geez, I have such a backlog of stuff to watch and to comment on. @_@ But while I'm thinking of it, this one can cut in line, I guess ...

Saint Young Men: so, I watched this Thursday and ... it was okay. Very slow, very light humor. There were a few heavy hitters here or there (the most notable one coming at the end of the first half), but for the most part this is the sort of series which will make you chuckle internally while perhaps not even breaking a smile externally. Not that that's necessarily bad! It's just not what I was expecting from the enthusiastic comments I saw online, e.g. "one of the funniest things I've ever read."

Jesus is portrayed as more of the boke of the group and Buddha as the tsukkomi, but the use of those terms by me is somewhat forced: Jesus isn't really a boke for Buddha to pick on (and he doesn't) and Buddha's got his fair share of boke moments that Jesus has to deal with.

The author seems to have a better grasp on the Buddha than Jesus. I guess this shouldn't surprise me given the author is Japanese, but that's one hell of a colossal assumption on my part: for all I know the author is a Japanese Christian who knows the Bible by heart and whose only exposure to Buddhism was through public school and the occasional reference in media. But her probable lack of familiarity with Jesus comes across in the manner of jokes she plays with each of the men. The author seems to have decided that one of Jesus's things is goats, as they come up several times throughout the episode, which strikes me as a bit strange. Most of Jesus's other gags either loosely parody actual stuff (e.g. his relationship with his twelve disciples is portrayed analogous to Jesus being an undercover yakuza princess and the disciples are "her" servants/bodyguards) or else are completely made up for the story (e.g. his interest in following every single TV drama there is on the planet and then blogging about them). Buddha's gags seem to be a bit more based around his actual legend, what with his radiant halo, his ability to fast no sweat, and his making at least some of their clothes out of homespun cloth. Still, there's plenty of liberties the author takes with both men, to the point that you'll feel they're less like Jesus and Buddha on Earth and more like the shadows of Jesus and Buddha on Earth. It's hard to blame her though when clearly she has to find some way to rationalize how Jesus and Buddha would act in modern Japan if they were there incognito (they're on vacation, y'see), if they were hanging out as best friends, and if they had at least some interests in the material world to which her audience can easily relate.

The first episode felt like it was Chapter 01 and Chapter 02 of the manga. Not that I know, 'cause I don't, but I'm just saying that that's what they felt like. I'd be very shocked if we received more than two chapters' worth of stuff in that episode. And given that there are three manga tankoubons out (from what I understand), I don't know why the series is only slated for one more OAV. That might not even be enough to polish off Volume 1! ¬_¬ Never mind Volume 2. It'd be nice to have more material to work with before I pass judgment on the franchise, but for now I'd give it a "6/10 - Fair" and, were it not for the cute premise, probably more like a "5/10 - Average". Still, that's only based on the first two stories. I'd definitely encourage those of you who are looking for religious comedy to check it out as maybe you'll enjoy it a lot more than I did. You should check out the first half if for no other reason than to see the climax when:

I'm serious, go watch it!

the cat jumps up on that empty dinner plate and offers himself as food to Jesus and Buddha. XD And as if that wasn't already bad enough ...

... that other cat then, with tears raining down his cheeks, offers a matchbox! OH MY LORD.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #4868
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

An anime about Jesus....I might take you up on that. As long as it isn't religious, then it shouldn't be bad.

I umm...I played a little further into Period and something has bothered me to the point to where I think I need to bitch about it.

Period
Remember where I said the main guy was like Oreki? Well they set him up like it, but his personality turned into typical harem protagonist. He has no interest in school activities, wants to conserve energy, and he's observant and sharp. As the story goes on, he's such a god damn pushover. He keeps getting used by the other characters, and he's supposed to be sharp enough to tell when he's being manipulated. During this one activity, he gets stuck with most of the work while everyone else just has fun with themselves. It's probably meant to be comedic, but I just see it as terrible. He was made to stay up and guard something all night while everyone else had a fun sleepover. He contemplated breaking everything and going home, but decided against it. Honestly, I hope that will foreshadow something he might do later on, because I don't want to read something where the main guy keeps getting used and manipulated. The few times he stands up for himself, he gets the shit beat out of him. I REALLY hope he stands up for himself more or just snaps on the people using him. EDIT: If I were to mention something good, one of the main character has Komari's VA and talks like her.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 03-16-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:57 AM   #4869
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's not religious. But it requires at least some familiarity with the lives and lessons of Jesus and the Buddha to get. There were several times they cracked jokes that either I completely failed to get or else I had to read between the lines. In that sense, it's sort of like watching Hetalia Axis Powers if you lack familiarity with the stereotypes associated with those countries (both historically as well as contemporarily).

Light spoilers: you know about Jesus's turning water into wine? You know about the crown of thorns? You know Peter was his #1 disciple? Then you're good to go. You know the Buddha was said to be incredibly wise? Calm? You know how he fasted? You know how statues of Buddha always show him with ridiculously long earlobes? Then you're good to go. A lot more is parodied, but most of it is explained. (E.g. "seven gods in every grain of rice" or Buddha's dislike of this one dish he's traditionally served.)
Old 03-17-2013, 02:06 AM   #4870
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Saint Young Men
This was okay. The premise is amusing, and as a character, I've always liked Jesus (not as a religious figure). It's charming, but it's also pretty dull. None of the jokes were really any big hits with me. The cat scene was really cute though. Overall, it wasn't great, but it was decent enough for me to want to check out any future episodes.

Period
More Period talk! I finished my first path. Before that, it seems right after I made that bitchy post, they stopped it completely, so I wasted my damn time! It would have been a nice development though. The main guy getting sick of being exploited and going batshit insane. Anyway, the route I went through was really dull and rushed. It's pretty disheartening, because that girl was pretty unique. Their conversations with each other are basically like this: "You look nice." "No, YOU look nice!" "YOU look nice!" "I disagree, you look nice!" There's a few questions they gave this path, but never answered. Another annoying thing is that despite how rushed the path was, the god damn H scene was LOOOOOOONG. Jesus christ. The writers could have put some more effort in the path than that dull ass H scene. Overall the path is a 5 to me. Anyway, onto the more interesting characters I guess.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #4871
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Saint Young Men:

I watched this too. It was cute. The cat scene actually kinda bothered me since I don't see why animals would offer themselves up to humanity's religious figures, but I guess that's just my agnosticism/athiesm(?) speaking. I liked the "turning rocks into bread" joke. It was simple but at least I got it. Jesus following J-dramas seemed random but I liked the jokes they made surrounding that.

Anyway, what I really came here to talk about was...

Kyou no Asuka Show:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAL
Asuka is a cute and clueless high school girl who habitually does things, in all innocence, that seem sexually suggestive to the men around her. Each chapter in "Today's Asuka Show" features a different awkward situation.
So I stumbled on this short series by accident, and after reading the premise I thought, "Eh, why not. Could be amusing." And it turns out it was. The summary is a little misleading though. Asuka is at least somewhat aware of what she's doing, she just doesn't care. I found her straight-faced reactions rather refreshing, honestly - almost endearing, if a bit unrealistic. -^^-; Though I don't find her design all that attractive when it closes on her face, there were times when I found myself falling for her cute, down-to-earth personality. <3 *donates to charity*

Talon may like this. It's based off an ecchi manga. I could only find five episodes so far, but was left wanting more. Hear there are 10 available but the release schedule is weird or something.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #4872
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, I checked out Kyou no Asuka Show because of what Yuki said about thinking I would like it. Umm ... ^^;

Episodes 02 (the swimsuit commentary one) and 05 (the not selling yourself short one) were excellent, and if the whole series were like them it'd be 8/10 or higher.

But Episodes 01 (the lifted skirt at the bus stop), 03 (the popsicle), and 04 (the lifted skirt at the crosswalk) were all blegh gross uncomfortable >_<. ^^;

As ironic as this may sound to you given my enthusiasm for hentai, I can't stand perverts in a regular story. Well, more specifically, I can't stand peeping Toms, creepers, voyeurs, etc. And that's what all those scenes were about. There's a difference between being interested in sex (or in "kinky" / "perverse" sexual activities) like the girl in Doujin Work or the guys in Genshiken and being a creeper, and all those dudes crossed that line; and then, by extension, they made me feel uncomfortable, like if I approved of the show then I was complicit in their skeeziness.

But Episodes 02 and 05 were fucking awesome. Episode 02 (swimsuit commentary) is something I've OFTEN thought, and extended to fashion in general. (This whole idea of "KYAAAAA! Don't look! Pervert! " that some women go on about even though they're wearing boob-hugging clothing, ass-about-to-bust-out clothing, etc, making it look as though they're trying to sell themselves like a piece of meat.) And I *loved* ...

... the bit with the typhoon. How she prepared for that day, how she was SO, SO RIGHT that she looked like the smart one during the typhoon, and how she then looked so weird and out of place once it suddenly quit raining.

Overall, I'd say:
  • thanks for drawing my attention to it
  • I look forward to more like 02 and 05
  • but I sure hope you weren't thinking of me during 01, 03, or 04. >_>
Old 03-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #4873
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
So, I checked out Kyou no Asuka Show because of what Yuki said about thinking I would like it. Umm ... ^^;

Episodes 02 (the swimsuit commentary one) and 05 (the not selling yourself short one) were excellent, and if the whole series were like them it'd be 8/10 or higher.

But Episodes 01 (the lifted skirt at the bus stop), 03 (the popsicle), and 04 (the lifted skirt at the crosswalk) were all blegh gross uncomfortable >_<. ^^;

As ironic as this may sound to you given my enthusiasm for hentai, I can't stand perverts in a regular story. Well, more specifically, I can't stand peeping Toms, creepers, voyeurs, etc. And that's what all those scenes were about. There's a difference between being interested in sex (or in "kinky" / "perverse" sexual activities) like the girl in Doujin Work or the guys in Genshiken and being a creeper, and all those dudes crossed that line; and then, by extension, they made me feel uncomfortable, like if I approved of the show then I was complicit in their skeeziness.

But Episodes 02 and 05 were fucking awesome. Episode 02 (swimsuit commentary) is something I've OFTEN thought, and extended to fashion in general. (This whole idea of "KYAAAAA! Don't look! Pervert! " that some women go on about even though they're wearing boob-hugging clothing, ass-about-to-bust-out clothing, etc, making it look as though they're trying to sell themselves like a piece of meat.) And I *loved* ...

... the bit with the typhoon. How she prepared for that day, how she was SO, SO RIGHT that she looked like the smart one during the typhoon, and how she then looked so weird and out of place once it suddenly quit raining.

Overall, I'd say:
  • thanks for drawing my attention to it
  • I look forward to more like 02 and 05
  • but I sure hope you weren't thinking of me during 01, 03, or 04. >_>
Some of them were hit or miss, to be sure, but I didn't want to go into detail until you'd seen them. I agree the perverted ones were uncomfortable in a way - especially the first - but I do admire how she handled those situations by laughing it off instead of going "KYAA!" like in those clichéd fantasies. While I don't care for her "I don't mind doing it if it makes you happy" attitude regarding sexual favors towards guys, I did find it funny how in the popsicle sketch she immediately recognized what they were up to... And yet shamed them into giving her a free one anyway. XP She's clearly cleverer than the summary gives her credit for. ^^;

Although on the above note, while I agree she has a point about the swimsuits, for some reason I found her reaction there more of a stretch than others... *shrug* Guess I wasn't sure what to think of the show yet and just getting a handle on her personality. (Still don't really know whether she's supposed to be dumb or smart. Maybe a mix of both.) Or perhaps it's just my own crazy female mentality kicking in. >.>;

05 was definitely great though, and so true. Even though the outcome was obvious, her advice to the poor guy was pretty sound. Hope there are more like that as well. =)
Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #4874
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just a little notice: I will be out of town for the next two weeks likely beginning tomorrow (Wednesday) or Thursday. Anticipate return circa March 31. As such, I will be unable to weigh in on the following series:
  • Hunter x Hunter (72, 73)
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (24,25)
  • Magi (23, 24)
  • Maoyuu (11)
  • Minami-ke Tadaima (12, 13{F})
  • Polar Bear Cafe (49, 50{F})
  • Psycho-Pass (22{F})
  • Puchimasu! (58,59,60,61,62,63,64{F})
  • Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (24{F})
  • Senran Kagura (12{F})
  • Shinsekai yori (25{F})
  • Uchuu Kyoudai (50,51)
until some time the week of April 1. And that's because I won't have seen any of them until then.

I realize that this is a pretty bad week or two to disappear on, but it can't be helped. I'm especially bummed out about Minami-ke Tadaima and Psycho-Pass. I love our discussions on Minami-ke, Mcsweeney, and I'm really wanting to see how Psycho-Pass goes. I might, might not have to leave until Thursday evening. If that's the case, I should be able to at least catch Psycho-Pass 22. But Shinsekai yori and all of the other series wrapping up this or next week are just going to have to wait. =\
Old 03-20-2013, 01:49 AM   #4875
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Maybe big bad birtha can be my discussion buddy for the next couple of episodes. I thought he had given up on Minami-ke completely, but according to a post he made a few days ago he is still watching it, just doesn't have much to say.

Well I hope you have fun on your ... pilgrimage? Brief prison sentence? Not having Internet sucks!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime