UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #76
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Managed to find the last copy in a Best Buy on Tuesday. Right now playing through normal (on classic, at least) so that I can kick back, find out what classes get what and not have to worry about Waifu optimization.

First S-rank is Chrom/Sumia. Holy shit I am boring. On the other hand when paired up together they're basically a fast-moving whirlwind of death.

Last edited by Blastoise; 02-21-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #77
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Do you have a 3DS or 3DSXL, Blastoise? And how do you like it so far, especially compared to other Fire Emblem games you might have played.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #78
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Do you have a 3DS or 3DSXL, Blastoise? And how do you like it so far, especially compared to other Fire Emblem games you might have played.
Normal 3DS.

Haven't played much in the way of Fire Emblem (got probably a quarter way through Shadow Dragon on the DS and lost interest due to lolarena grinding), but I've played enough SRPGs that I'm not exactly out to sea. It's good so far, but I'm not super deep into it (chapter 10 of 20ish?).
Old 02-22-2013, 03:38 AM   #79
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Yeah most of the romance support conversations are pretty lame. It's kind of disappointing. The only good one I found was between Severa and Brady.

I finished my first playthrough. It was a very enjoyable run. The story was cliche'd as hell towards the end, but otherwise no problems. Actually I enjoyed it enough to play through the game again. I made quite a few mistakes in recruitment and "breeding", so I wanna try again. I also want to do more with the tactician character.

EDIT: Slept on it.

I forgot to mention that they never even bother to explain (Safe through chapter 15)
Spoiler: show
the time travel thing. I know this game isn't exactly strong storywise, but they could have atleast tried to explain it. They just made it out like anyone could travel back through time. I wasn't exactly dieing for an answer, but it's a bit annoying that they don't bother explaining it.

I was also hoping for a map with the next gen crew in their world. They're all much more entertaining than the main cast, so some bits with them would have been really nice.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 02-22-2013 at 10:44 AM.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #80
deoxys
Fog Badge

Alright, so I'm about five chapters in and this is great so far. The story premise is interesting (at least where I think it's going is), and the upgrades to the system overall are fantastic. The pairing up system works well and freshens up the gameplay in strategic terms a bit.

I'm probably going to have Chrom get with Sumia even though it's canon, but it's sugoi kawaii, so you know. My avatar is probably going to wind up with Lissa at this rate, even though she's not the most useful in combat. If I were a more interesting person I'd pair Chrom up with Maribelle or Sully, but... I'm not.

I'm not going to get around to reviewing this one for a while because it's probably going to take about 40 hours to complete for me. based on everything I hear. So we'll se.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #81
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

FUCK YEAH
GUESS WHO FINALLY FOUND A COPY?

'GEET, IF YOU SEE THIS, I'M HALFWAY THROUGH TLO, BUT IT'LL HAVE TO WAIT A LITTLE. FE TRUMPS GREECE ANYDAY.

EDIT: 25 EXP for healing?!
Oh god. My cleric army shall take the kingdom.

EDIT2: Initial impressions:

Chrom: I like this Lordling. He's like a blend of Eliwood and Hector. Yeah. That's right.
Lissa: Hillarious. Also my highest level unit. Anyone who has seen me play a FE game will not be surprised in the slightest.
Frederick: Entertaining personality, but I have an oath to not use crutch characters.
Sully: This chick kicks serious ass. "Turns out the business end of my sword is ME." Indeed.
Virion: Frenchy with surprisingly equal parts lover and fighter. Like Sain, but much more suave.
Stahl: Seems like an honest, normal knight. His comment on Miriel telling him about the mission sealed his fate.
Miriel: Like Lute, but less useless chatter, more scientific discipline. Just as refreshingly abrupt, though.
Sumia: "Pink klutz? I might use her, but... That's so clique. No way I'm shipping her with Chrom." "...Wait, the refined looking girl is Sumia?" "...She's surprisingly badass." "Okay, fine, you can have Chrom." "You know, for a Pegasus Knight, you hit quite hard."
The-guy-everyone-forgets: Who now?

Currently in the process of trying to get Donnel, don't have enough information on him for an opinion yet.
Also Pair Up is the best new mechanic ever.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.

Last edited by Kindrindra; 03-15-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 AM   #82
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Spoilers please.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #83
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

But... there weren't any spoilers there?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #84
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Even their names are spoilers. Please just spoiler it.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #85
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

Hey guys. So, here's the thing: I've never played a FE game, and I'd like to try them out. Since I don't have a lot of time, what 2 or 3 would be worth playing the most? Save for 3DS games, I think I have no problem with the consoles.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #86
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Blazing Sword (Just called Fire Emblem here in the states) for the GBA was the first-released game here in the states, and it's probably the best introduction to it. Shadow Dragon for the DS is another good choice, as, if I am not mistaken, it takes place in the same world as Awakening, only many many many years before.

If you want an awesome Lord who can hold his own in battle, however, go with Sacred Stones for the GBA. Ephraim is the best Lord to appear so far in an English-translated handheld console. Maybe the best Lord ever.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #87
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

About Awakening's world...

It actually seems to imply that every FE game takes place in the same world, just... VASTLY separated by time.

But, yeah, Awakening and the world of Shadow Dragon have a deeeeeep connection. Or, if you know japanese, you could find a rom for the very first FE game for SNES, which is what Shadow Dragon is a remake of.
Quote:
Old 03-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #88
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Don't play Sacred Stones first. Play "Fire Emblem" for GBA, or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for Gamecube. It also has a storyline sequel for Wii called Radiant Dawn.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #89
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Fire Emblem for GBA is definitely the first one to do. After that I played Path of Radiance, and then Radiant Dawn. I think that's probably the best way to do it. Sacred Stones is inferior in many ways to those three, as is Shadow Dragon.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #90
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I'd agree that Blazing Sword (Fire Emblem) is the way to start, but Sacred Stones was personally my favorite until Awakening came along.

Shadow Dragon being inferior is to be expected, seeing as it's a remake of the very first Fire Emblem game.
...With text cut out to make it more streamlined.
Yeaaaah I think the guy who made that decision was crazy.
Quote:
Old 03-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #91
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Like the others say, I would start with the GBA Fire Emblems. I would start with Fire Emblem 7 (Blazing Sword), then go to Fire Emblem 6 (Fūin no Tsurugi), which is a sequel to 7, despite being released earlier. 6 and 7 are my personal favorites. 6 was more difficult, but also gave you more unit variety. 6 also requires a bit of digging around for an English patch (I'll provide one if you want).

I need to play the SNES ones. I think I'll add them to my things to do someday.

EDIT: After looking, it seems the sequel to Shadow Dragon, unreleased in the US, has an English patch for it. I might give that a shot.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 03-23-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #92
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I like FE8 mostly for the Trainee classes and a few of the branch classes like Great Knight. Plus, as a mineral buff, gotta love the gemstone motif of the generals. Not as badass overall as the Dark Fang, but certain individual members shine brighter than the Dark Fang members, bar Jaffar and Nino, the latter of which is debatable as far as how Dark Fang she was.

Which leads me on a tangent question: Why do you support together, whoever you support together?

I know some support for the romance (Niemi/Colm, Ephraim/Eirika), some for the background (Knoll/Natasha, Nino/Canas), and some for offensive/defensive capabilities (far, far too many to even list).

I know for me, I tend to support Niema and Garcia together, for instance, because they are both Fire affinity and they compliment each other's strengths. I do Ross and Amelia as well, mostly because the synergy (they'd normally be close anyway) and because they're cute together. Et cetera, et cetera.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:18 AM   #93
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

All for the romance- True Tacticians can excel with whatever they're given!

Disclaimer: I am also a completionist and believe in the merits of every single support and so I do them all eventually. Also, despite the confident tone of the previous statement, I have nothing against those who do it for the statistical advantages. In addition, I use the term 'romance' supremely loosely in this instance- I believe true friendship deserves just as much attention as love.
Quote:
Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #94
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I usually just go for the obvious/canon support pairings (with the exception of Awakening). You know, Hector/Florina, Eliwood/Ninian, Marth/Shiida, Roy/Lilina. Sometimes I get them by accidentally teaming two characters together, but otherwise, I'm more focused on map clearing and levels.

Awakening's nice about it. It kind of encourages you to pair the my unit with your favorite character. Since after getting the final rank, you get a special image and a little final word with the character. Nah's was really cute.

I started on New Mystery of the Emblem, or Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~. It seems this game started the "My unit" character that's used in Awakening. It's not as good as Awakening's my unit tactician, but "My unit" in NMotE is basically the strongest whatever you make it on your army. Like the one in Awakening, it has a terrible selection of appearances. I made her a myrmadon with boosted str growth.

I'm through the prologue chapters, which is basically just training your trainee characters/my unit. The art's really meh, but otherwise, another good Fire Emblem title. I just hope some more mage units join, because so far I'm just getting a bunch of cavaliers and junk.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #95
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
I loved Fire emblem Sacred stones. :p got it with the ambassador program and it easily was one of the best games Nintendo offered. (In the program)

Probably going to get Awakening, yay! *excited*
Old 05-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #96
Shadowshocker
used First Impression

With regards to support pairings, I think we've all tended to think that since Florina crash-lands on Hector that Hector/Florina is a shoo-in for canon. However, I've had to rethink this line of thinking on the basis that Hector and Lyn actually have a few closer moments together, especially in the final chapter if you've already had them up to Level A. Granted, it's not something that you're likely to see (if you're me) since it requires a predetermined sequence of your units talking to each other.

This is the Let's Play where I got that bit of information, and if the picture of Eliwood gently embracing Fiora makes you go "d'awww", I think Hector and Lyn's heartfelt conversation is going to register a higher reaction.

Awakening, however, has definitely proven to be a big hit. There's a lot I could say (probably a lot when it comes to pairing up), but allow me to say that Kellam is one of the best designed characters in my opinion. His entire existence is irony (the tallest, bulkiest unit, but somehow manages to go hilariously, disturbingly unnoticed by everyone), and like all the Awakening cast, his voice acting takes his character quirk and runs with it.

Delivering a critical hit: "Come on, look at me!" "They've gotta notice this!"
Getting a kill: "Stealthy!"
Helping a paired unit hit an enemy: "Surprise!"
Paired unit kills the enemy instead of him: "Another spotlight stolen..."
Defeat: "They... saw me!..."

And for all female characters married to him, save for a female Avatar, nobody remembers who her husband is in the endings.
Shadowshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #97
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Ah, Kellam.

Gotta love how somehow he's somehow actually the most forgotten member by FE Players. XD

(But damn can the man hold his own)
Quote:
Old 05-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #98
Shadowshocker
used First Impression

Just completed the first playthrough of Awakening, only skipping out on Priam's map. I'm not sure if it's because I should've grinded the levels of more than the characters I usually use, or because I should've paid more attention to skills and reclassing.

If anyone's interested, the following is how I've supported everyone that could possibly end up together:
Chrom/Sumia
Sully/Virion
Lissa/Vaike
Maribelle/Kellam
Cordelia/Lon'qu
Panne/Gaius
Olivia/Donnel
Libra/Tharja
Gregor/Nowi
Cherche/Stahl
Lucina/Owain
Inigo/Kjelle
Severa/Brady
Gerome/Noire
Laurent/Nah
Morgan/Yarne
Shadowshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #99
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I've been playing FE: Awakening, got my copy yesterday.

Initial thoughts:
They made supporting so much better in this game. It's a lot easier to do, and super useful. Having units Pair Up is ridiculously overpowered, and I love it.

I had Donnel wait until Lv. 15 before reclassing into a Mercenary, and now he is extremely powerful. Most of the bosses have had a 0% hit chance to do 0 damage against him, since I keep him paired up with Sully. He's amazing.

For the first few chapters, most of my units besides the Avatar, Chrom, and Lissa were a bit underpowered, but after one or two map battles they became as good, if not better, than those three. This game has a far more aggressive AI, and I find that I am clearing maps very quickly. Had to take a break for tonight because I started making some silly mistakes, but can't wait to play again tomorrow. I'm not sure if I like it or Radiant Dawn better. I think Radiant Dawn did the whole tier level up thing better, but that's mainly because I dislike having to find Master Seals. My first second tier unit was the Avatar. The Avatar still has basic Fire and Iron Swords, and so far he hasn't needed stronger weapons. Awesome.

Kinda feels like they nerfed Dark a bit, but I'm not sure if that's because the Dark user I got last chapter just sucks. She's only 3-4 levels behind most of my other units, but they were dealing way more damage with higher hit rates at that level.

Won't read spoiler'd replies until I finish the campaign because I don't trust you guys ;P
Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #100
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Not a spoiler, considering you've gotten a dark mage.

They didn't nerf Dark, it doesn't exist any more. There's only one kind of magic, and Dark Magic is just tomes (generally with special effects) exclusive to Dark Mages and Sorcerers (and those with the Shadowgift ability but lol).
Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games