UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 07-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Penny Arcade on the father & son bonding pasttime of ...

... the Pokemon TCG? If you missed Wednesday's comic, well, there it is. Today's comic picks up from where Wednesday's left off. It'll be nice if they humorously continue this one next week but even if they don't Mike's news post today more than makes up for it, giving us full closure about all the real-world details surrounding the comic.

I couldn't help but "awwwww ^^;" when he mentioned how Little Gabe lost all five games, "some of them after only a few turns," but it was nice to hear Gabe/Mike then write about how he plans to help his son learn about what it is that makes one deck well-oiled and another broken-down all while still letting his son ultimately decide what kind of deck he hopes to run and with what creatures. Even if the deck still loses 4 out of every 5 games because (say) Emboar is entirely unserviceable in the PTCG metagame, it's still pretty nice to hear that Gabe isn't the sort of dad who is like, "No. Don't use Emboar. He's shitty. Come over here and use EX Mewtwo Xtreme." (Which reminds me, good lord is this card broken by the standards I'm used to. Power creep? Power creep. )

Anyone else read the comics this week and enjoy them? Usually I bemoan the fact that Penny Arcade has evolved away from making comics about video games, but I guess this one, owing to how relatable it was and what a nice story it had behind it, was a solid winner for me.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I don't read the comics, but my roommate has the deck building game. That's pretty fun. Pax Pox for the win, er loss.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
(Which reminds me, good lord is this card broken by the standards I'm used to. Power creep? Power creep. )
Man that card is ugly.

Man that card is broke.

hfs!

On the comic, nice share Talon. I got a laugh out of that one as well. I'm still not over the shock of parents and kids both enjoying the Pokemon TCG. I mean...immortal, time-weathered games like chess, I could understand. Mahjong, yes too. But not something created in recent memory.

It would be really weird for me to catch my grand-son watching hentai in 2067. >_<;
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
... the Pokemon TCG? If you missed Wednesday's comic, well, there it is. Today's comic picks up from where Wednesday's left off. It'll be nice if they humorously continue this one next week but even if they don't Mike's news post today more than makes up for it, giving us full closure about all the real-world details surrounding the comic.

I couldn't help but "awwwww ^^;" when he mentioned how Little Gabe lost all five games, "some of them after only a few turns," but it was nice to hear Gabe/Mike then write about how he plans to help his son learn about what it is that makes one deck well-oiled and another broken-down all while still letting his son ultimately decide what kind of deck he hopes to run and with what creatures. Even if the deck still loses 4 out of every 5 games because (say) Emboar is entirely unserviceable in the PTCG metagame, it's still pretty nice to hear that Gabe isn't the sort of dad who is like, "No. Don't use Emboar. He's shitty. Come over here and use EX Mewtwo Xtreme." (Which reminds me, good lord is this card broken by the standards I'm used to. Power creep? Power creep. )

Anyone else read the comics this week and enjoy them? Usually I bemoan the fact that Penny Arcade has evolved away from making comics about video games, but I guess this one, owing to how relatable it was and what a nice story it had behind it, was a solid winner for me.
I'd probably still be playing the TCG if the prices for a single booster pack, not to mention anything bigger than that, weren't through the roof on this side of the planet. The box of cards my brother and I managed to build up is still at my parents' house - "inherited" by my two youngest brothers (ages 10 and 11). They don't play the card game themselves, the cards are in a box stashed under a bed.

For comparison's sake: when I was their age, I could spend hours arranging and rearranging those cards and that was fun to me. Last time I checked the box my OCD took over and I had to arrange them - which went over the heads of my brothers who failed to grasp why having the cards in neat piles was worth putting time and effort on.

As for the EX-cards: I was shocked at that Mewtwo. At least in the video games there are tournament rules that forbid mass-slaughtering broken Pokémon like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
On the comic, nice share Talon. I got a laugh out of that one as well. I'm still not over the shock of parents and kids both enjoying the Pokemon TCG. I mean...immortal, time-weathered games like chess, I could understand. Mahjong, yes too. But not something created in recent memory.

It would be really weird for me to catch my grand-son watching hentai in 2067. >_<;
As hard as it is to believe, Pokémon is about 20-years-old now and still going strong. What I'd like to know is how many of us who were neck-deep in Pokémon are un/intentionally passing it on to our own kids, siblings etc. I personally use it as a way to bond with my brothers.

My Little Pony? No idea what the racket is about. Pokémon? WAIT, I KNOW THIS! 83

Not sure how much my brothers appreciate this though.

And I truly hope hentai won't become a family-event. >.<'' That's...just...so wrong on so many levels.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Firewater
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Firewater
Comic looks pretty good, I read it quite a bit when I remember it exists, and Pokemon TCG always has a place in my heart. More or less, I played in the days before R/S/E was added to the mix, and by then i'd grown bored of the game/the only place that held a league was defunct.

At this point, I don't really have any urge to get into it, and looking at the cards makes me lol. I miss and remember the days when 120 HP was the max, and Charizard OHKO'ed everything if you got enough energy, where I used to run a Grass/Water deck with Blastoise Rain Dancing funsies and have fun/few problems. (except with the one guy who had some Erica based card that you only dealt 10 damage every turn or something)

but that was a fun time, I do have thousands of the cards strewn through my house, but they are slowly being tossed to the trash/far winds.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #6
lucarioisawesome
Pokemon Trainer

i play the TCG.
i luv it too.
Nice comic.
lucarioisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON