UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #1
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

It's Official! HALO 3 sucks!

So today I finally beat HALO 3 on Legendary. And considering everything, I feel I need to say it. HALO 3 sucks. Congratulations Bungie! You made the worst HALO game the finisher. They're lucky it's the last one, because there's almost no chance I will ever buy a HALO 4 now. And how game reviewers give it an average rating over 8 is unfathomable. The game is so awful, if it didn't have multiplayer, I would probably cut it into a shuriken and throw it at Bill Gates. Now let me elaborate.

Years ago, Microsoft and Bungie made HALO: Combat Evolved. It was fairly new and innovative. The game was fun, had nice graphics, and had a decently strong story. It was different from the typical shooters at the time like Half Life and Tribes.

Years later, HALO 2 comes out. And it's a hit. It had enhanced graphics, continued the great story. The main thing that was great was the fact that there was a great plot twist. With the new perspective of the Elite's Arbiter, players were able to see why the Covenant waged their war against Earth and start the insurrection against their former masters.

And now the third installment is out. Everyone expects it to be the most amazing game for XBox 360. Why? It's Microsoft's flagship game! It should be the best game on the console to date. It should look prettier than last year's shooting master- Gears of War. And with the marketing campaign Microsoft wasted so much money on, it sounds like ti will be an excellent story, as this will be Master Chief's final game. He needs to "Finish the Fight!" Preferably with lots of cool fights and explosions and such.

What happens? None of that.

First the graphics. Nothing impressive. In fact, they're pretty disappointing. Sure, Master Chief is shiny and water ripples nicely, but it's not captivating or amazing. It's just HALO 2 graphics with slight improvements. It looks more like a HALO 2.5 than a new graphics engine. HALO 3 doesn't hold much against other 360 shooters either.

It's physics is horribly unimpressive compared to Orange Box's Half Life 2. Sure, gravity pulls things down and explosions launch you up. But that's the bare minimum. Jumping feels extremely unrealistic. You're seven feet tall in tons of high tech body armor. A squad of soldiers need to call for a transport ship with heavy lift equipment just to help you up. Yet when you jump, you practically feel like you're floating on winged shoes. WTF? Meanwhile, in Half Life 2, you can literally abuse the game's physics. Firing a magnum throws you completely off balance due to the gun's kick back. If you hit your target, they typically get sent flying back. Do any guns do this in HALO 3? No. I remember plenty of aggravating moments when I would throw a plasma grenade onto someone and shoot them with a shotgun as they charged me and they would still somehow land their corpse on my and explode. Thanks! I'm sure if I got shot at point blank with a shotgun, my body would fall towards the shooter. >>;;

HALO 3's AI is horrific. There were several moments in the game where I would run into a room- guns-a-blazing- only to realize the room is filled with WAY too many bad guys and run back to a hiding spot. Like behind a barrier or past some wall. Now, I typically expect the enemy, who SAW ME and FELT ME SHOOT THEM to start coming towards me. I generally didn't care if they came one by one or in a big group. I was expecting them to chase me down. What actually happened? They waited for me to come back. Huh?

In Gears of War, if you stand for too long and you're not giving enough suppression fire, those Locust Drones walk up to you and kills you with a melee hit (which is OHKO in the high difficulties). And even if you are shooting at them, they're always looking to get close to you, or around you. I remember several times in Gears of War when I was busy killing one guy, I didn't see another walk up to me and kill me with a forearm bash.

Meanwhile, in HALO 3, the only time someone tried to run up to my was typically when they were forced to. As in, they held a melee weapon (i.e. Brutes with the Gravity Hammer) or only had their melee attack (i.e. Floodlings) of when the Brutes were suiciding. As in, I shot them until their armor was gone or threw a grenade on them and they decided, "I should do a belly flop on him! WHEEE!!!" Usually they met death by either melee or a barrage of gunfire.

One of the wost scenarios was near the end. I was literally in a room with about 7 or 8 Brutes in it. Between me and them was a glass wall formation like so:
[attachment=0:bc62f]HALO 3.JPG[/attachment:bc62f]
What did the Brutes do? They spoke to one another about how I was 'The Demon' and how they would kill me and such. Did they ever walk around the glass and try to kill me? No. What happened? I would pop out for a brief moment, fire a dozen shots, then jump back. The perfect strategy for not getting shot to death, as it gave me plenty of time for my shields to come back before I start killing them again. Seems like the Brutes are all talk and no real backing. As they were easily some of the dumbest enemies I ever fought in a shooter before.

Another scenario was one one point where I sniped the Covenant soldiers from afar. What's so horrible about that? There was nothing between me and them. It was literally an open road. If they charged me, I would have had been in for a real challenge. But did they? Of coarse not! Instead, some would occasionally run behind a barrier. I merely waited until they decided to step back out and shoot them again. And the worst part was that my gun wasn't even a real sniper. It didn't even get close to OHKOing on head shots even. It was simply an Assault Rifle with a scope. One barrage of shots doesn't even kill Grunts. The computer easily could have overwhelmed me if they simply thought, "CHARGE!"

The gameplay of HALO 3 is nothing new. It's exactly the same as HALO 2. Wait! It's worse! Why? HALO 2 had something special that made it better than HALO. This is a minor story spoiler, but it's pretty important to mention: YOU NEVER PLAY AS THE ARBITER!! Yes. Be sad. Cry. Playing the Arbiter was easily half the fun of HALO 2. You got to turn invisible and you had more chances to kill guys with Beam Swords. No Arbiter fun this time! Just plain old Master Chief.

During the coarse of the game, you're never given a replay of HALO 2. So if you never played/beat it, you can find yourself pretty lost. The story itself is horrifically dull and extremely predictable. And the end boss- completely lame. And of coarse, it ends with a run away scene on a Warthog again. Just like HALO original.

[center:bc62f]NOTE: SPOILERS AHEAD! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
(For the Red Blind)
NOTE: I REPEAT! SPOILERS AHEAD! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK![/center:bc62f]

There are plenty of moments where I knew exactly what would happen. It didn't take a genius to figure it out either.

You and the combined forces of the Human Resistance and Elite Insurrection attack 4 Covenant shield generators protecting the Arc, a Forerunner HALO control station. Hmmmm. We lost contact with someone! What happened! Considering Humans turn out to be descendants of the Forerunners and only they can activate their technology, it's pretty obvious what.

So you go rescue them before that guy is forced to kill everyone. What happens? Well, you commanding officer crash lands her ship to try and save him. But outnumbered and out gunned, she can't hope to win. It's pretty obvious she needs to kill her friend and herself to stop the Covenant. But what does she do? She doesn't shoot. Instead she dies. Because is she did shoot, there'd be no game to keep playing.

Next, Master Chief and the Arbiter must cut through enemy forces to stop him. But half way there, the Flood shows up! OHZ NOZ! But wait, they're here to help! DUH! THEY DON'T WANT TO DIE EITHER!

So you finally reach the Prophet and the Arbiter kills him Note that you don't actually fight the Prophet. You just run up to him and a cut scene kills him. WTF? He couldn't even be a boss. I know he's frail and weak and old, but come on! All I did was RUN PAST PEOPLE! Anyway, guess what happens next? DUN DUN DUN! THE FLOOD BETRAYS YOU! NO SHIT SHERLOCK! We did what he wanted us to do. He doesn't need us anymore!

The game then continues to get more and more retarded. You escape the flood only to go into the middle of the flood's main ship to save Cortana. There, you run into a horrifically low amount of resistance considering where you are. The walls are made of flood flesh, yet you never really see more than 4 or 5 guys shooting at you. HUH?

Not only that, once you reach Cortana, there's no big bad boss monster protecting her. You just walk right up to that computer you dumped her at and put her in your helmet. WAIT! IT'S A TRAP!

WAIT! THERE WASN'T!

WTF?! They basically just let you take her off. Even though the flood knows she's dangerous to them and knows having her in their possession was probably the biggest one-up they ever had. No guards. No traps. Seems like the Flood doesn't actually care. Sure there's a whole hum-bug about you taking her and all the Flood infested guys start coming at you.... wait... they don't come to you >>;;

The Gravemind gives a whole speech about how it's going to kill you, but if you never leave the room where you got Cortana, the Flood will never come at you. You do need to run past the flood to get out. And obviously, you need to set off the reactor to blow them up. Hmmm... This sounds familiar. Set off the reactor. HALO had me set off a reactor too! Oh. Yeah. That must be it.

You get off the flood ship and then work to set off a single HALO to kill the flood surrounding the Arc. It turns out the HALO is not 100%. So the Forerunner's Monitor doesn't want you to set it off, fearing it will damage itself and the Arc. So what does it do? Obviously, betray you. Guess what else? He's the final boss. A small floating metal sphere with a flash light in it is a final boss. Also, 2-4 blasts of a Spartan Laser kills it. Yes. A boss that dies in 4 shots. A FINAL BOSS THAT DIES TO 4 SHOTS OF A GUN!

Congratulations, that was the weakest end game boss I ever fought!

So you activate the HALO, get on a Warthog and drive onto a ship, where you then flee. Thanks for repeating HALO's last chapter. It was real fun the first time.... >>;;

I won't give away the absolute ending, but I will say it was probably the best possible worst ending they could make.

That ends the spoilers.

AND NOW FOR THE ABSOLUTE SADDEST PART OF HALO 3- Dying was more fun than not dying.

Whenever Master Chief died, human soldiers would complain. Some of the lines were golden! For example:

"What?! Master Chief is dead? I might as well eat my gun!"

I couldn't stop laughing after hearing that line. Seems like without me, the whole human resistance would be completely dead.

So if you're looking for shooter fun, get BioShock, Rainbow Six, Orange Box, Call of Duty, or Gears of War. Skip HALO 3. It'll be the best $60 you ever saved.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:24 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: It's Official! HALO 3 sucks!

Awesome review in that it was a blast to read. No idea if I would agree with you or not, but hey, it sounds like what you say is true with minimal hyperbole. Which is really unfortunate. And while I really disliked Halo 2 (inlike you), I have to agree that the game's one saving grace and therefore one of the biggest disappointments about Halo 3 was that, in Halo 2, you could play as the Arbiter whereas in Halo 3 you cannot. Word on the gaming website-street is that too many Halo fanboys actually complained about the Arbiter levels (e.g. "these levels suck! I get all Covenant weapons but I have to fight the Flood!"). so Bungie responded, rather than rectifying the mistakes but keeping the Arbiter around, by removing him altogether and claiming that Halo 3 would be "returning to Halo [1]'s roots." Bulllllllllllshit.

Sounds like you enjoy really frustratingly challenging shooters, though. I ... do not. I guess Halo 3's "dummy badguys" wouldn't bother me too much. Even when it comes to shooters, I'm playing more for general fun factor (like in Mario 3) and for plot. I know, I know -- "What are you doing playing a shooter, then!?" This is why I don't play shooters very often. But when I do, I really don't mind if the enemies are as dumb and as easy to kill as Goombas and Koopa Troopas. I don't complain about it in Mario, and I don't complain about in Halo either, I guess. Just one difference between you and me. Or more like between me and most of the FPS fandom.

EDIT: Written w/o glasses on. I caught one amusing typo ("Bonugie"), but if there are any others, please be kind.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
Loki

They didn't completely remove the Arbiter. If you play Co-Op, player 2 is the Arbiter while player 1 is Master Chief. It's one minor improvement I like, but hate at the same time. There are plenty of missions on single player where Master Chief is alone and they explicitly say, "The Arbiter is going there to do something different," so unless the Arbiter has different battles or something, it really doesn't make sense why he's following the Master Chief.

I forgot to mention: Multiplayer is okay on HALO 3. It's HALO 2 + more guns + more maps + catapult. There's nothing new, but nothing awful about it.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

(barely on topic, but) I think GotY for multiplayer, whether people like fighters or not, whether fighter enthusiasts like me prefer SSB-styled fighters to traditional fighters or not, will go to SSBB simply because of stage creation. The only thing I've heard of as ambitious as stage creation in fighters is character creation (vide the sadly-failed project Shenmue Online or my dream for an Angelic Layer MMO-fighter), but stage creation seems just as ambitious and they're not only doing it but allowing players to share custom maps. Crazy. My only hope is that they will allow for some crazy-ass height, such that people can build stages with like 34 "floors" and you can fight your way down to the bottom because (at the bottom) is the only place where there aren't any protective barriers keeping you from flying out of the ring, lol.

(back on real topic), I dunno, one casual gamer I know (a fellow student at med school) bought his 360 for Halo 3, and bought Halo 3 the week it came out, and right off the bat his attitude was "single-player, meh; multiplayer, DA BEST!" and he's still enthused about Halo 3 MP. Weeks after. So I mean ... the novelty of the (apparently) shitty single-player wore off pretty quickly for him (he didn't even bother to beat it, last I talked with him about this), but he still enjoys the multiplayer. Could it be because he doesn't own the Orange Box, Gears of War, etc.? Maybe. Could it be because he's a casual gamer, and differs from hardcore FPS fans? Maybe. But to hear him explain it, Halo 3 multiplayer doesn't sound nearly as ho hum as you make it out to be.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
Loki

No. It's totally understandable that someone with XBox Live (or any online FPS connection) would get caught up in the multiplayer and forget other games. Bioshock has no online, so if you beat it enough times, you get tired of it. Gears' online is very limited. It's at best 4 vs. 4. Also, it doesn't have the same appeal as FPS (it's a third person shooter). Orange Box is different. Team Fortress 2 is insanely fun from everything my friends have told me. In fact, someone I know who dislikes FPSs said he liked Team Fortress 2. So it really comes down to what you like.

Gears is 3rd person shooting. It has fun in the fact that you can do things not normally done in other shooters, like running up to and putting your back against a wall, blind shooting over a sand bags, etc. That and a chainsaw bayonet. AWESOME!

Meanwhile, HALO 3 is the classic shoot-em-up FPS. Everything you basically want from a standard FPS plus the usual HALO quirks (like driving a Warthog or now using the catapult). It's as fun as Counterstrike. Maybe a bit more depending on your tastes.

And Team Fortress is your standard FPS with the element of different classes. You can be a Scout to get the fastest running and double jump. Or you can be a Spy and go invisible. Or you can be a Heavy Weapons Expert, moving slowly with a giant Gatling gun and mow down anyone who is in your line of sight. Different from the usual FPS with added strategy of using your preferred class and cooperating with people of various other classes.

So each is different in multiplayer aspects and each are respectably fun. If the games were rated on their multiplayer alone, I would definitely understand why HALO 3 has a 9.8 rating. But it isn't, and that's why I don't think it would really get more then a 7.5.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

When I game with friends, it's usually eight people, two consoles, and one system link; no internet. Thus, Halo 3 is pretty much the only thing we can play. Even though I dislike FPS, it's the only game I'm aware of that has both 4-way split screen and system link supported at the same time. Call of Duty does have split screen for multiplayer, but it is not supported during system link games, i.e. one person per console is all you can get. Team Fortress 2 is an awesome game, and it does support system link, but it has no split screen at all. Aaargh!

Fortunately, Halo 3 is really nice for multiplayer gaming. It even has some really cool game modes like Zombies and I'm The Juggernaut, Bitch. And even when that gets boring, you can edit the maps as well as change the defaults for gravity, speed, default weapons, etc.

Most people I know who bought the game for single player use only were pretty disappointed, but people who use it as a multiplayer game love it. I think it's worth the money if you're trying to get a good multiplayer game, but as loki said, save your money if you only plan on playing by yourself.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
Loki

Yeah. I got mad that I couldn't get split screen on Team Fortress either.

Did you ever figure out how to transfer files?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:26 AM   #8
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Well it turns out that the xbox *does* recognize the USB drive, but it's not allowed to be used to store downloads and game data. Basically it only allows the usb drive to copy music and pictures onto the xbox, but it's not all gone to waste: interestingly, the xbox media player overrides any in-game music. It was a pretty funny scene lighting people on fire in TF2 while the ending song from Portal was playing in the background. w

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #9
Loki

Why was my attachment viewed 108 times? lulz.

There should be a way to transfer save data. You probably need a XBox 360 Memory Stick or something because I do know who have carried over data to friend's houses and such.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Maybe the Brutes were trying to figure out how the Master Chief does it every time. ;)
Old 12-21-2007, 01:00 AM   #11
deoxys
Fog Badge

I actually pretty much completely disagree with you. I found Halo 3 easily the best game (Although I liked Halo 2 Multiplayer better, and Halo CE is a close tie). I can't have a full discussion right now as I'm on the Wii, but I found your review more hilarious than serious.
Also, the exclusion of the Arbiter was because a majority of the fans made a large outcry about how it obstructed gameplay (they are idiots).

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:17 AM   #12
Loki

I actually would like someone to explain exactly why anyone would think HALO 3 is a good game outside of multiplayer. I have a few other friends who have HALO 3 but don't play multiplayer much or at all and they all make the same complaints I do.

"AI is dumb."
"The game lacks Arbiter story."
"Graphics are only slightly better than HALO 2. Shit compared to today's standards."
"The story is dull and boring. Final boss (end of chapter 8 specifically) was lame. Final flight is retarded."

Lots of people agree. Just look on everyone's favorite Wikipedia under reception. Almost everyone says the story sucks. All the high ratings come purely from multiplayer aspect. It's literally like everyone forgave the game because multiplayer is so amazing.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:09 PM   #13
deoxys
Fog Badge

Well, as I mentioned before, a bunch of whiny prepubescent little idiots who shouldn't even play the game complained to Bungie that Arbiter's story was stupid and shouldn't have been in in the first place (apparently Master Chief is god). So they took it out of Halo 3.

Graphics: I disagree. I think the graphics are a lot better than Halo 2, and it's pretty noticeable. The graphics are gorgeous, some of the most beautiful I've seen, except maybe for games like Gears of War and possibly Lost Planet. The only complaint I have is that the faces look pretty bad. Not very good at all. You should check out this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=nTxEk7CI0hc

Physics: Uses the Unreal engine. I think the physics are true to the games fictional background. Remember, Master Chief can jump higher than an average human because he is essentially stronger than ten men.

AI: AI wasn't that great, I'll admit. I do think it was better than the AI in Halo 2. Compared to normal standards not to great.

Story: I loved the story! One of the only things that made me not want to stop playing Campaign until I finished it all the way through. No, I don't believe GS was really a "final boss" like you make him out to be, he was only a boss. And not even a real one at that. There really wasn't a "boss" in the game, killing GS was really only part of the plot line. I was most disappointed that I didn't get to fight Gravemind---I thought that would have been amazing. I did enjoy the Scarab fights a lot though, especially the one toward the end where you fight two at the same time using a hornet...that was classic. I'd get on co-op, my friend would hop on my hornet and I'd drop him off over one Scarab while I went to kill the other one.

I don't expect them to make a Halo 4. I do expect them to make another game in which the Chief is the main character. Unless Bungie intended on Marathon picking up where Halo 3 "leaves off". If you've seen the end of legendary, you'll know what I mean. The "thing you see" makes the marathon logo out of lights...and Bungie said they originally intended for Marathon to take place 250 years after Halo, and that the two main characters would be one in the same.

And I honestly am getting bored with Halo 3's multiplayer. My friend and I are contemplating going back to Halo 2. Melee system wasn't bad, and the weapons (aside from noob combo and sword) weren't really broken. I also thoroughly enjoyed Halo 2 maps WAY more than any of the Halo 3 maps. I think Halo 2 had the best map set out of the three games.

Loki, do you have Xbox Live?

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 12-22-2007, 03:14 PM   #14
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM Hiero
Well, as I mentioned before, a bunch of whiny prepubescent little idiots who shouldn't even play the game complained to Bungie that Arbiter's story was stupid and shouldn't have been in in the first place (apparently Master Chief is god). So they took it out of Halo 3.
Yeah, I was wondering why people would complain. Arbiter was pretty awesome.

Quote:
Graphics: I disagree. I think the graphics are a lot better than Halo 2, and it's pretty noticeable. The graphics are gorgeous, some of the most beautiful I've seen, except maybe for games like Gears of War and possibly Lost Planet. The only complaint I have is that the faces look pretty bad. Not very good at all. You should check out this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=nTxEk7CI0hc
That's exactly why the graphics are awful. Gears of War and Lost Planet came out a year ago. HALO 3 should be setting the standard for best graphics to this date. Instead it's been beaten by older games. And the sheer fact that HALO 3 is the system's flagship game, it really should be on top. Not somewhere in the middle.

Quote:
Physics: Uses the Unreal engine. I think the physics are true to the games fictional background. Remember, Master Chief can jump higher than an average human because he is essentially stronger than ten men.
I get that he can jump high, but why does he float? And he's no longer on a HALO world where we can argue that there's less gravity, he's on Earth! He should be hitting the ground like a ton of bricks and leaving a dent on the floors, yet he's as light as a feather and fluffy as a pillow.

Quote:
AI: AI wasn't that great, I'll admit. I do think it was better than the AI in Halo 2. Compared to normal standards not to great.
Agreed.

Quote:
Story: I loved the story! One of the only things that made me not want to stop playing Campaign until I finished it all the way through. No, I don't believe GS was really a "final boss" like you make him out to be, he was only a boss. And not even a real one at that. There really wasn't a "boss" in the game, killing GS was really only part of the plot line. I was most disappointed that I didn't get to fight Gravemind---I thought that would have been amazing. I did enjoy the Scarab fights a lot though, especially the one toward the end where you fight two at the same time using a hornet...that was classic. I'd get on co-op, my friend would hop on my hornet and I'd drop him off over one Scarab while I went to kill the other one.
Just because there are some fun portions like fighting a Scarab on a Mongoose, doesn't mean the story was great. It's merely a fun part of the game. Killing Scarabs isn't a story, it's just something you do.

The lack of a Gravemind fight, a Cortana fight, and an Arbiter story is really all the reasons the plot has failed. And the entire thing was predictable. No sudden plot twists. No betrayals (except the Gravemind which were extremely obvious, and Guilty Spark, which was obvious when they mentioned activating HALO might destroy the Ark).

Gravemind had almost no guards for protecting Cortana, something he knew was important to humanity. We can argue he wanted Master Chief to get her back so he could find out what data she held, but he set no trap for Master Chief for after he regains Cortana. Instead, Master Chief just walks on out, sets off the reactor, and blows up a bulk of his forces. WTF? He can't even defend himself after Master Chief storms in and shoots his way to Cortana? He can't stop them from escaping the heart of his ship, where most of his troops should be? And the walls are made of his flesh, yet they open to Master Chief. WTF?

And I do consider Guilty Spark to be a boss. He is unique, stops you from proceeding with the story, is tougher than the average monster, and does good damage (if he hits you). Now who does that roughly sound like? General RAAM perhaps? He was unique, blocked you, tough, and did ridiculous damage. Or maybe the Strider from HL: Ep1. Sure Striders aren't unique, but they're at least not common. It was certainly there blocking you, tough, and did heavy damage. It's just that GS is so abysmally awful that there is no real comparison to show how awful it is. No puzzle defeat. No minions (even though he can control those patrol bots ~_~). Ultimately- No challenge. It's easily the worst boss ever designed.

Quote:
Loki, do you have Xbox Live?
[/quote]

Sadly, no. I will get it soon though. Probably right after New Years.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #15
deoxys
Fog Badge

Ah, that sucks. At least you'll be getting it.

As for the story---I liked the story itself. I thought of it more as a book. There was a great deal of suspense in the game, and I loved it. I didn't like the lack of the things you mentioned, but I still think it was a decent game. A bit short, however. And there was a bit of a plot twist involving the ark, what with it turning out to actually be in space and whatnot.

Graphics---You gotta take into consideration that they started developing Halo 3 right around the time Halo 2 came out. Considering all of that, I think what they came up with is pretty decent. And GoW is considered to be one of the most beautiful games graphically ever created.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 12-23-2007, 02:28 AM   #16
Loki

Bungie started HALO 3 prior to HALO 2's release. While yes, Bungie was likely preoccupied with adding more HALO 2 content, it isn't really a reason why they didn't make any real improvements to graphics. They knew the third installment was coming (made obvious by the cliffhanger ending) and they knew it would be on the next generation console.

Meanwhile, if we compare Call of Duty 2 to Call of Duty 4 (note that Call of Duty 3 was made by a different developer), they put HALO 2 to HALO 3's upgrades to shame. Not only that, HALO 2 was a 2004 title. CoD2 is a 2005 title. Their newest installments of both titles came out roughly this year, meaning Call of Duty had one less year to work and still managed to get better graphics (among other things) than HALO 3.

I personally didn't feel any suspense in the plot. It was all very predictable to me. You don't ever get a chance to connect to any of the major characters aside from Master Chief and the Arbiter so when they died, I generally didn't care. The only reason why I cared was because they failed me. Not because I thought of any of those characters as friends.

Additionally, I'm angry with that HALO 3 ad where we see a boy talking to a girl in a grass field only to be revealed that it's Master Chief in a dream, alluding to it being a vision of his past. In the end, that ad had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GAME'S STORY!
Old 12-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
deoxys
Fog Badge

I was rather disappointed by that as well. I thought there would be a lot of CG cutscene's and flashbacks of MC's past...

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 01-04-2008, 01:10 AM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfzQ7LUuymo

Courtesy of Skrusti.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #19
Loki

That guy is 100% right. Anyone who thinks he's stupid is the actual moron.

In no way does HALO 3 deserve it's 9.5, 10/10, or 98% ratings it gets everywhere you look. Single player is awful. Multiplayer is a saving grace, but doesn't mean it should be scoring as ridiculously high as it is. He hits all the nails on their heads. Yes, he's 'not in the loop' plot-wise, but the plot is quite awful and it was probably the smartest thing he could do.

HALO 3 meets no expectations that 99% of it's fandom should have had and all of it's best aspects are multiplayer, which obviously doesn't need to meet any expectations because you're just messing around by shooting your friends or some stranger.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games