UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 10-26-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

No BC = crap.

Nuts to Nintendo (DS/Micro), Sony (PS3 40gb) and Microsoft (no hdd or 'net connection) for fudging up on BC as of late. It oughta be standard not reduced back to being a feature. ~_~ New VCR's/CD Players/Dvd Players/etc can still play their versions of old media and if gaming is to grow up the past should try to be kept intact for all to enjoy which includes reprinting and stocking of old games but that's something else entirely!

Discuss.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:29 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: No BC = crap.

When I read this, I thought you were talking about this BC and it took me the longest time to figure out you meant Backwards Compatibility. I've never heard anyone call it "BC" before, but hey, I appove, I s'pose -- it sure does save some typing time.

Anyway, I think that -- from a consumer-minded standpoint -- you're right on target. Backwards compatibility ought not to be a "bonus feature" but rather a standard in video game consoles; but, from a corporate standpoint, I think you've made one mistake; and from a historic standpoint, I think you've made another mistake.

First, the historic, because it's short and simple. You claim that other hardware in our life has always been on top of BC. I'd ask you, wtf. ^_^; What about all my audio cassettes that went the way of the dodo with CD-ROMs in the early 90s? (Where was my audio cassette drive on my 1997 computer, I'd like to know! Never had one!) What about all those VHS cassettes our family collected over the years that became absolutely worthless once we (as a family) made the push to buy a DVD player in 2000? Sure, they weren't completely wasted immediately -- we still had both the VCR and the DVD player hooked up to the family TV -- but once the VCR died in 2002, we were faced with the dilemma of having to buy a new VCR since buying a VCR-DVD combo would be a waste of money at this point in time. That exact statement applies to my broken XBox, Lindz: it's dead, and there are several games on it that play better for XBox than XBox 360, so I'd have to buy a 2nd XBox if I wanted to play them optimally again.

Second, the corporate, which you don't have to respect at all, but at least tell me if you think I'm making a valid point with respect to others' mentalities. I have been told by a lot of electrical engineering-types that the reason things like BC fall by the wayside is reducing costs. In the case of video game consoles, where sometimes the format changes so greatly (e.g. N64 to GameCube), it would be like having to buy 1 next-gen console for the price of 1.5 to 2 -- because you'd essentially be buying two video game consoles, the new one with the old one built into it somehow. Even in the case of more "software-oriented" upgrades (like the XBox vs. XBox 360, where both still use optical discs), you have the issue of having to install a flawless emulator of the original console -- and this can be tricky because of hardware changes like video cards, audio cards, etc. So what's the point of all this/ The point is, companies opt to leave these features out to meet the consumer demand for more affordable consoles. Consider how many people freaked over Sony's PS3. Consider how many people orgasmed over the Wii, despite it being little more than a GameCube with a DVD tray and more wireless ports. People demand cheaper (i.e. more affordable) consoles, even if it comes with the price of getting cheaper (i.e. crappier) consoles.

If this was all "too long, didn't read" for you, fast-forward here: I think you may be making a few mistakes with regards the world's arguments, BUT I for one agree with you (as a consumer) that BC really ought to be treated as a standard feature and that it is bullshit for companies to not be treating it as such.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Nothing is backwards compatible with beta and 8-track. No one liked them.

Anyway, no one really made such complaints when SNES put the NES down. Or when the N64 or the Gamecube came out. It's only now that we see everything is on a disc and we think, "It fits in the same slot, it should work!" and sadly it doesn't.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Eh, I don't mind. I still have my SP if I want to play Game Boy games. The like, three that I have. And have an N64 still.

The Wii plays gamecube games. I'm pretty satisfied here.

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Another Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games