We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoS View Post
jesus christ what is modern gaming
Imagine I linked that parody Steam game about opening loot boxes here
Old 01-24-2018, 06:31 PM   #477
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

To be fair I could play the game. I said I'd buy SFV when it has an Arcade mode and that is totally available to be played with any of the 16 default characters. But with the game whining at me for not having it up to date and saying I won't earn any Fighter Money I figure I may as well wait it out until I've got the total package. They were running a campaign letting peeps try out the newly released Sakura for a week... which I totally miss out on cause of all this nonsense lol.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:14 PM   #478
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Playing: Mechwarrior Online (I have more hours into this dumb game than Overwatch)

Piranha just came out, might as well be a gay fish

Spoiler: show
neener neener i'm comin' for that posterior
Old 02-04-2018, 05:39 PM   #479
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Demo'd!
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
Wow what a demo! All of the prologue and chapter 1 an took close ta 8 hours to get through it! MH Stories demo all over again! I first heard of this game like a week or so back an suddenly I'm playing the demo an wanting to get out there an pre-order the full game! Pretty easy rpg to get into an mostly uncomplicated to aside from having ta keep track of time travelling craziness! Love the PS1 era sprites on polygon world look and the musics nice to so far. Looking forward to the rest of it!
Old 02-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #480
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
That demo left me wanting more an now I can have not just more but all of it! Already put a few hours into this!

Secret of Mana
This remake looks, sounds, an plays good to me so far! Made it to the point of getting kicked outta the village an not much further. I love that you can now change directions while dashing instead of being locked into a straight line! And I set the item count max to 12 so take revenge on the originals early game being a real jerk to me for years ^_^!

Beat!
Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition
- 00:20:43
After 3 weeks I went an did something I coulda done all along! By this point I'd forgotten what the tutorial taught me so idk how to V-trigger or anything. But its fine, playing through the SFV arcade mode on easy posed little trouble! I rolled with Rashid an it turns out he's pretty cool! The game really looks nice I gotta say! The art styles only really off-putting when seeing closeups or stills of characters. Most of the stages seem to have some interactive element to 'em which is cool!
Old 02-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #481
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Playing: Warframe: The True Purpose of the Space Ninja is to Flip Out and Kill People (how do I have 100+ hours already)

BORKED

My long journey to find a loot shooter to fritter away my days may have come to an end. I may also have problems.

-Of the loot shooters I've played recently, this one is probably most my speed. Destiny 2 is a trash fire I've bitched about earlier in this thread and The Division--while much better than I expected--is still comparatively grounded by trying to maintain some level of realism despite the fact that you're playing one of Tom Clancy's future combat wet dreams. Meanwhile, Warframe is happy to hang closer to the sword-firing shotgun end of the continuum while you rocket through levels murdering everyone like Sonic the Hedgehog's workplace shooting.

-A space ninja for every flavor. Sword ninjas! Gun ninjas! Ice ninjas! Fire ninjas! Chinese twink ninjas! Mummy ninjas! Pirate ninjas! Ninja ninjas!

-They took a page from Destiny's rival faction system by making all the Syndicates you can ally with some flavor of psychotic asshole to the point where choosing any of them on a non-insane moral axis is totally pointless, so you may as well go with the one that gives you the coolest shit. Seriously, one of the factions is a fanatical death cult formed by a literal sperg and another talks ominously about the need to return to "human purity" in a posthuman future where many of the galaxy's inhabitants are clones or were probably gene-tampered with by the asshole fallen precursor civilization. There's also a faction run by Thomas Friedman.

-It's F2P, but this needs to be understood in the context of having limited inventory space for your fancy new guns and warframes, and that extra space can only be bought with the game's premium currency. Since your account level (which controls access to which guns/frames you can use) is tied to how many of your individual guns and frames you have leveled in turn, this is the game's vaguely-subtle way of shaking its change cup at you. The slots are relatively cheap (and are arguably the best use of the game's premium spacebux), but get ready to open your wallet unless...

-You want to chinafarm for things to sell in trade chat, because premium currency is tradeable in game. Poor people with nothing but time on their hands performing mindless drudgery for the benefit of indifferent rich benefactors is so American you won't believe the game is run by a Canadian company.

Last edited by Blastoise; 02-17-2018 at 03:21 AM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #482
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Beat!
- 34:58:26
I was real happy with this game up until I got roadblocked by somehow being underleveled... a second time. At which point I switched to "Friendly" difficulty an blew through the lil bit of the game I had left real quickly! I like grinding when I want to not when I have to. Allegedly the DS version didn't have this issue and the remake was "rebalanced" to sell grinding DLC or some nonsense which "Friendly" makes moot so dunno what they were thinking there. Otherwise this is a really strong rpg in terms of battles being pretty interesting and the story and characters. Like the MC is an actual real deal adult with a job no less. Most of them are adults instead of the usual ragtag team of teens! Really really good stuff balancing issues aside.

Xenogears
- 45:24:32
20 years later this is still a bad game that I can't bring myself to hate. I still have fun playing it when it lets me play it. Disc 1 is more cutscene than gameplay. Town/Dungeon exploration length has nothing on that of cutscenes. Disc 2 is so much better even in the state its in so there!

Secret of Mana
- 17:45:52
The remake! I loved it aside from the like 4 times it crashed >.>; Updated art/graphics/music/translation = all good by me! AI partner gets stuck? Leave 'em behind! No longer gotta babysit them! Dashing makes your 100% meter go down bit by bit and then starts refilling when you stop instead of draining it wholesale. Plus you can change directions while dashing! All this adds up to being able to avoid unwanted encounters and blow through one room after the next as you desire! I still dislike the ring menus but even so some of the menus were enhanced a good bit like the Weapons one. The inn skits are nice funny lil things to! Basically I'ma never play the SNES version again!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:23 PM   #483
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

>Warframe

My brother roped me into playing this with him online on weekends about a year ago. Can't say it's really my thing, but it's the main way we interact now, and it's a decent mindless filler of beating up monsters and taking their stuff. Also tipping enemies with Gravity Ninja powers is fun.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:21 AM   #484
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Motherload

I beat this game every once in a while, but stopped around 2007ish due to the bad times. When I last played it, about 4 years ago, I lost confidence and failed to beat the boss (who is fairly simple to defeat, if you just spam resources at it).

I handily beat it this time. The game is still fresh, although you have to come back to it once every few years, to get the most out of it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #485
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
Detective Pikachu
At long last a game name-dropped super early into the 3DS's yet released very late into it is here, and mine mine mine! Can't wait ta see this "lovably gruff" Pikachu in action!
Old 04-30-2018, 01:41 AM   #486
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Getting up to some Wolf's Dragoons plot bullshit: Battletech (41 hours)

As anyone who's watched me streaming already knows, if said streams didn't make you reevaluate ever liking any of my posts to begin with.

-Instead of a gender option, the game lets you select a pronoun (he/she/they): this has made r/kotakuinaction very mad, but then to no one's great surprise anyone who still has a deathgrip on their identity as a Gamergater in TYOOL 2018 is an irredeemable fucknugget.

-Also, most of the principal characters are a collection of minorities, so a lot of people are also coming out of the woodwork to share their thoughts on "white genocide" because the collective level of discourse could always go lower.

-In the interests of ethnics ethics in games journalism, I should probably mention that I Kickstarted this, both because I've enjoyed HBS' previous work and because I am broken enough to embrace a franchise whose fanbase is so fucking grognardy that they threw a fit over your space ship/base technically being illegal under Aerotech construction rules.

-Mercenaries in Battletech are what adventuring parties are to D&D: a plausible reason to be running around with deadly weapons while not being beholden to actual authority. This is probably the first Battletech/Mechwarrior "mercenaries" title that lives up to the ideal of randomly flying around the ass end of the Inner Sphere taking odd jobs and killing people for money, rather than being a linearish campaign where you could replay the same missions in a slightly different order. You're technically beholden to the main plot because Princess Protagonist paid off your Space Loan Sharks, but once you get your space ship/base unlocked early on there's nothing to stop you from puttering around and assembling your Steiner scout lance before continuing the story.

-Negotiations: each mission offers varying levels of payment/salvage rights, and you can choose to forgo some of one to get more of the other. Salvage is the only practical way to build up your stable of 'mechs, and it's cheaper (in terms of opportunity cost) to pull weapons/equipment from the battlefield versus buying them at a space gun store. However, sell prices are low and you can't pay your space bills with PPCs, so you have to learn to make an educated guess which missions are more worthwhile for cash than parts. This wrinkle gives the strategic layer a bit more heft than it would have otherwise.

-HBS looked at the contradiction in terms that is "Battletech balance" and made some decent decisions to iron things out. Weapons have been rebalanced compared to tabletop, so the AC/2 is now "merely bad" and not "why the fuck would I take this when the LRM 5 exists". An early pilot skill allows you to split fire between multiple targets, which tends to work best on a lot of stock 'mech "bracket builds" and makes the early game (when you're short on cash and parts to customize your rides) a lot more tolerable because you can make almost any hand you're dealt work.

-The tactical layer is fun, but can be slower paced than X-COM's rocket tag because 1)'mechs track damage to each location separately, and if you boat medium lasers/missiles damage will go all over the place 2)the game takes place at the low point of the setting's technological curve, so one hit KOs are rare unless one combatant wildly outweighs their target and 3)if you're trying to salvage shit you'll spend a lot of time knocking over the target to force pilot injuries like you're Talon's mom and you've been drinking again.

-Unfortunately, there are definitely signs that HBS' reach exceeded their grasp at points. Performance issues like hanging is noticeable at the strategic layer, to the point where I don't even bother customizing my 'mechs camo patterns because the game reacts like I asked it to calculate the 10^8675309 digit of pi. Sometimes you get fun things like reinforcements spawning almost immediately in missions, which turns the difficulty up to 11 because you're suddenly outnumbered in both units and sheer weight and if there is no chokepoint to exploit you are probably fucked.

-Like all Mechwarrior games, there's a baseline assumption of your familiarity with the franchise that may not hold: the game helpfully lets you hover over certain highlighted terms in character dialogue in case you're trying to remember why you give a fuck about the Magistracy of Canopus, but if you've ever felt like working in the Mechlab was akin to slamming your dick in the car door this game isn't going to change that.

But on the bright side, with your comparative lack of knowledge you will get to have a Chryssalid moment when you park one of your 'mechs too close to a Demolisher. If you do not know know what a Demolisher is, please do not read the previous sentence.

-But that's okay, because the loosey-gooseyness extends to a tutorial that feels overly long but simultaneously incomplete in teaching critical gameplay mechanics. Enjoy staring at 3-4 unit bars and not knowing what they represent until one of your 'mechs gets knocked down and shot to pieces by every enemy unit on the map!

Last edited by Blastoise; 04-30-2018 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #487
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Beat!
Detective Pikachu
- 13:15:25
From a really weird concept came a pretty fun game! Its really nice looking, the cases simple to solve, and ya gotta love Pikachu and his many words of wisdom! Here's hoping for a continuation!

Maze Walker
- 01:26:59
Fun lil Master System game that was part of the Sega 3D Classics Collection I grabbed a couple years back. I played it for alil back then an randomly sat down to try and beat... and I did! On my very last life! Theres a couple of nasty jumps late into the game but overall not the most difficult game ever, even if you're dumb an bad at games like I am!

Monster Hunter Stories
- 49:55:56
No Dragon Quest Monster localizations on the 3DS? No problem! This game scratches that very same itch! Its real addictive scavenging up items, doing quests, and diving into random nests for Monstie Eggs! The Rock/Paper/Scissor style combat feels good when you and your monstie nails it! Boss fights are tense since their HP isn't shown and ya don't know about their behaviors! Only the final boss felt unfair/fun imo. Post-games got even more new quests, powered up versions of monsters to fight, and the desire to continue refining and improving my team! After maaaany years of Capcom not making rpgs they've shown they still can, and well done at that! Now gimme another!!

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
- 11:17:14
This is the game that may well have been lil lindz' first experience with rpgs an it turned her away from 'em for a couple years. An ya know what? She was right! This game is B-O-R-I-N-G-! Its got a nice soundtrack, some good ideas that seemed ahead of their time (saving anywhere?!) but... there's no story. No characters. The dungeons are much to long for their own good. And the battling is braindead. And until the very end the hero character is underpowered compared to his companions that have waaay better stats an generally one-shot regular baddies. Bleh!
Old 06-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #488
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
Getting the game for $40 just 2 months after launch was a good deal to me both in price and time I didn't mind sitting out! I expect this one will make up for the massive failings of 0 an to a lesser extent Kiwami. Hopefully?

Beat!
Final Fantasy VII
- 17:37:57
My yearly playthrough of this game was focused on magic this time around! Magic! MAGIC! SPAM IT HARDER!!!!! Basic physically attacks were seen at an astonishingly low rate! Even limits were few & far between cause I kept everyone in the back row since magic power doesn't increase/decrease based on range. Stuff can be real powerful and its expense skyrockets as it levels. An I'm talkin' plain old Green materia magic, not summons or enemy skills though those did see some usage. An in the end Sephiroth gets blasted into oblivion never to be seen again... until next year...
Old 07-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #489
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
Asked around what a good first Tales of game would be an got this answer... well a couple others but this was the cheapest to acquire!! So far, I wanna like it but battles are tedious. Mash mash mash mash~ END ALREADY

Beat!
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
- 38:04:33
Now this was really good. Yakuza 0 may have sucked but here we gots a return to form. This game looks and feels like a real deal sequel! Haven't felt that since... Yakuza 3? Load times were nowhere near as bad as advertised but screen tearing was still very real, in Kamurocho. Never noticed it in Onomichi strangely enough. Liked the story, gameplay, an the fact that there was very lil in the way of bloat dragging it down!
Old 09-18-2018, 12:33 AM   #490
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Came down with a cold, so time to curl up with another loot shooter:

Destiny 2: Forsaken Dev Tools (how can I know how full my sock is of poop if there's no /played Bungo)
  • Oh no, the zany comedy relief robot (no, not that one, the other one) is dead, and all your space boss wants to do is stay home and jack it to Infrastructure Week! Guess you'll have to take it upon yourself to travel to far off vistas and pry shiny new guns from the hands of his killers!

• What follows is a No More Heroes-esque series of boss missions where you run a pre-boss fight gauntlet that plays to their individual quirks (e.g. the Mad Bomber requires you to disarm several bombs by holding a zone while waves spawn on top of you) before finally throwing down with the bosses themselves. There's a decent amount of variety to the fights, though some stick the landing better than others: the Rider in particular is a vehicle fight that runs up against the fact that Bungie's vehicle AI is complete ass, so it's mostly an overglorified turkey shoot.

• Weapon restrictions got overhauled, thank fuck. Bungie decided that "two shitty rifles and an actual Fun Weapon you will never have ammo for" was boring as shit, and so most weapon types can now go in either of your primary weapon slots (BFGs like Rocket Launchers are still restricted to the Power slot, but that's fine since they're no longer fighting with Shotguns and Sniper Rifles for that precious spot). More powerful weapons have relatively rarer ammo, but there are ways to mitigate that and the end result is that fights are faster paced since you can bring out heavier weapons more often for the bigger targets.

• Because of this, PVP is no longer exclusively a mid-long range poke fight with Scout Rifles, which played like "Overwatch, but everyone is Widowmaker and they have downs". I would still recommend pretty much any other straight PVP shooter on the market that doesn't require you to grind shit for 20 hours before you can stand on even footing, but I can now do my PVP dailies and not feel like I'm having to drag myself over broken glass to complete them.

On the other hand, Gambit (a hybrid PVE-PVP mode where two teams rush to summon and defeat a boss, with periodic invasions from a member of the opposite team to throw a spanner in the works ala Soulsbourne) feels like it plays much better to the game's mechanics and strengths as an ARPG-shooter hybrid. It's early so people are still trying to find out the optimal strats (though people seem to have settled on the best guns), but I'm enjoying the mode more than I expected.

• There's two ways to make an ARPG loot pool work: throw so much shit out there that you're never short of things to grind for (Warframe) or have some RNG on individual items so that people have an incentive to chase good rolls (Diablo and its ilk). Release Destiny 2 tried to do neither by having a relatively small loot pool with fixed rolls, and if you realized this would land like a wet fart you're smarter than most of Bungie's designers.

So random rolls are (back) in: guns get a selection of parts and quirks, and armor is now about more than whatever makes you feel prettiest. This puts some actual joy back into finding loot (one of OG Destiny 2's cardinal sins) because while you're going to see a lot of Duke Mk. 44's, at least they give you more to think about beyond "which one of these do I disenchant first?"

Also I got an Assault Rifle that refills the magazine as you get headshots, with a second quirk that reduces the recoil so that I can keep a constant stream of lead pouring onto the enemy's face like the world's angriest golden shower, so that's fun.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:17 PM   #491
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
WarioWare Gold
Was all set on buying this when it was instead given to me! Woohoo!

Shenmue I & II
This is a get and unget! Unget cause I returned it unopened due to the games being bugged out messes among other issues. Will reget someday if they ever get into a good release state.

Beat!
WarioWare Gold
- 04:04:00
Loved this long overdue return to WarioWare! The weakest link outta its trio of playstyles for me was the Touch games but even then theres still plenty of fun ones in that category! Story modes short & wacky, and the silly/weirdness factor of the games got lotsa laughs outta me! That short time to beats not even half the game here - I'm still working away at beating target scores on the, what, 300 games included? Lotsa fun to be had yet!

Yakuza 2
- 32:05:36
Seeing as how the recently released remake had no selling points to me (actually it has anti-selling points!) I decided ta replay the classic instead! And its still a good one! I did a NG+ run which meant there were next to no side stories for me to do, so instead I cleaned up a ton of other optional stuff I hadn't done in the previous run! The hostess & coliseum stuff were big timesinks, as was doing my best ta fill out other completion lists. That said, next time I play'll prolly be on a fresh file cause it did feel alil empty without the sidestories.

Style Savvy: Fashion Forward
- 20:36:00
Finally beat this one two years later! Not because I dropped the game or anything, I just played in really little spurts. Its fun to just sell some clothing, change your own style up, an call it a day. Its pretty nuts how much stuff there was to unlock in this one as the game progressed. Like ya think you'll just be selling clothing, maybe helping models put on shows like in Trendsetters? Ohhh no no no. If there's a job in this game then there a real high chance your character will be doing it o.o! I still haven't unlocked all the brands an I've read the post-games meaty so I'm still far from done-done!
Old 09-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #492
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Puyo Puyo Tetris: purchased this today, making it my first game for the Switch console I still don't own yet. ^^; Wanted my dollar-votes to count -- too late? -- and noticed today that the game is finally being pulled from store shelves , so I ran around town until I found a Wal-Mart that still had one sole copy sitting at the bottom of their glass case. Not sure how much playtime I will get out of it, considering it's already a year and a half old and by the time I get a Switch we all might have already moved on to the next Puyo Puyo title. But meh. It's nice to support the franchise in America, and it's nice to have the game on hand in case a friend invites me over to play Switch but doesn't own this title.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #493
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
Mega Man 11
I spent nearly 2 hours with 0 progress made on Normal difficulty. DO NOT PLAY NORMAL DIFFICULTY (or Super Hero!). Casual difficulty is where its at. Its the true Normal.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
Been meaning ta get this for a good while an now its mine!

Beat!
Mega Man 11
- 01:48:16
I tried unsuccessfully for 2 hours to beat even 1 stage on "Normal Mode" until giving up an lowering the difficulty. I say its name is very misleading. Its like old MM's where there's 1, maybe 2 checkpoints throughout a level but here's the problem with that: the levels are far longer than in the older games. And each one has a mini-boss, sometimes two! Sorry but old rules can't be applied like that when the circumstances are far different! I later tried the demo on "Casual" which was much more fair with the checkpointing while still being not on the easy side overall. But for the first full playthrough I went with "Newcomer" which was so SO easy even a cheater like me felt a tinge of "this is maybe to much" lol. I'll redeem myself with a "Casual" playthrough in the near future. Anyways difficulties, stage length, and mini-boss overdoses aside the games really good! The Power/Speedup mechanics that Capcom stole from Viewtiful Joe work well with MM! Movement is perfect, I never doubted a jump I was making. Alot of the weapons are once again good and pretty plentiful / easy to recover energy for ala MM8. And I really like that MM no longer gets just palatte swaps when using weapons, but a different hat and buster! Now thats progress!

Game & Watch Gallery 4
- 01:28:19
I took the high score for each of the 6 main games! Course there's no score by default... but still! Played 'em all in "Modern" style which made them far trickier (and harder imo) thant "Classic" G&W. I played the Boxing one for over an hour before throwing a fight just for it to be over lol. It wasn't getting any harder an I wasn't gonna lose unless my attention seriously slipped so ya. Also Waluigi was one of the opponents. Was more than happy to knock him out each an every time he came up! Donkey Kong Jr. was the game I liked most despite game over'ing in it pretty fast. Wanna put more time into that. And play all the games on "Classic" style.

Gran Turismo 3: A-spec
- 03:05:19
This and GT4 were on my backlog forever but I'd actually beaten each ones Arcade Mode in the past an plain forgotten about that fact. Coulda saved me 3 hours replaying GT3's but I had fun anyways. Tried many different cars an in the end mostly stuck with the Supra RZ(J). Special shoutout to Cote d'Azur and Tahiti Maze for being real bastards of tracks btw x.x;

The Pinball of the Dead
- 00:17:23
More high scoring! Not the highest scores mind you, getting 100 million on any of the 3 tables seems daunting but I did break into the Top 10 which was good enough for now! This whole games really funny. Just killing House of the Dead monsters & bosses with your pinball is great, but the devs went all out. Cheesy voice clips & fmvs add to the fun!

Azure Striker Gunvolt 2
- 04:34:37
This felt very similar to the first in just about every way so I feel about the same way I did towards the previous one. Fun, none to hard even if ya suck, and looks nice. Dun wanna talk about the last boss though. That was something just plain baffling and not so fun -.-

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns
- 00:29:00
I won... a single match... finally! Mexican Luchador wrestler ftw! I lost or drawed many times always with the CPU level as easy as they can be so this win was a huge breath of fresh air lol. Thats just one reason I lowered my standard of "beating" to winning just match. The other is that theres no preset arcade mode style thing, nor preset tournaments, nothing. Just about everything in the game is decided on and editted to what the player wants. So if everythings up to the player then the player can decide for themself what "beating the game" entails! btw this may be a PS2 game but it still looks great and the presentations top notch. Not to mention how crazy deep customizing everything can be.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
- 02:51:54
Story mode took alil longer than DOA: Dimensions did, but not much. Difficulty felt much higher to me though cause I lost alot of fights. An that was before the final boss which they really went all out with! Game looks nice as DOA games always do, even if ya can tell the PS4 versions clearly an upport from last-gen. Seems I can still play the game okay enough since the first thing I did was jump into Command Training as Helena and blew through her movelist pretty quickly! Looking forward to playing more!

Last edited by Lindz; 10-12-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #494
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Bought: Nier: Automata

Yep, I just got one of 2017's best games in late 2018. Please look forward to my RDR2 review sometime in 2027.

Warframe: Fortuna Update: No War But Class War
  • The news is so depressing these days. Let me kick back and relax with a Warframe update about helping free the beaten-down working class of Fortuna from the usurious debt fostered upon them by their Prosperity Gospel-spouting overlord

• Friendship ended with Hok, now Zuud is my best friend

• For this new open world area, they introduced hoverboards K-Drives, which you can do sick ollies on to earn standing with a faction of cockney-spouting orphans

• I am also bad at skateboarding games:

• This is Warframe's second open-world update, and while it definitely shows some of the lessons learned from the first (Plains of Eidolon), I still kind of feel the same way about it that I do about Plains and the various open world zones in Destiny: why? Everything surrounding it (the new factions/toys/fucking MOA pets fuck yes, etc.) is cool, but the zones themselves sit in this weird chasm between MMOs and single-player open world games: they're not large enough or populated by enough players to achieve novelty of the spectacle, and the zones themselves aren't alive or diverse enough to spend time in for their own sake.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Puyo Puyo Tetris: purchased this today, making it my first game for the Switch console I still don't own yet. ^^;
Please donate your brain to science: future generations deserve to know where things went so wrong.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:36 AM   #495
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

>Nier Automata

I got and played this recently myself, and while I wasn't actually a huge fan of its style of storytelling (plus I already knew some spoilers going in), it did invest me enough to watch one of the voice actors' playthrough of it + original Nier - the latter of which I think I actually prefer story- and character-wise. I enjoyed the banter between the entire party (Grimoire Weiss is especially great), and for an earlier entry, I felt it was a lot more cinematic than its successor at least. (Seriously, if I wanted to read the plot I'd just look up lore online.) It also annoyed me that a lot of Automata's sidequests were resolved off-screen, and the invariably depressing outcomes eventually became boringly predictable after a while. I didn't get a chance to do many of them either before finishing the game, since I was constantly thrust into the "point of no return" without warning - which probably contributed to my initial lack of caring for the characters themselves.

Endgame spoilers for both Automata and Nier:

I cried more for the characters in ending B of Nier than I did in Nier Automata. While the "final credits sequence" of Automata made me emotional, it was more bc I understood the sacrifice other players had made since I had been vaguely spoiled on the mechanics. Had I not realized the significance of what was happening it probably wouldn't have impacted me as much.

Also I ended up playing through the credits at least three times, since I wanted to see what different options would elicit - and by the end I was so pooped I just entered a joke message which the game interpreted as too negative and refused to take my save even though I was intending to delete it so welp. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

One thing's for sure: Yoko Taro definitely hates children. And happiness. Whee despair~

P.S. #plsprotectEmil #Emildeserveshappiness

Beat: Arkham Asylum

I picked up Batman: Return to Arkham on sale for $5, so I've been playing through Arkham Asylum. I already (basically) beat Arkham Knight a couple years ago, and while I miss free traveling around Gotham, having a more contained environment lets me take my time to look around and explore every nook and cranny, so I've enjoyed solving all the Riddler puzzles this time (whereas in AK it's too overwhelming; I just started Arkham City too and already it's making me dizzy x.X). A lot of them are steeped in Batman lore too, so basically if I see something that might be an Easter Egg I figure it's worth a scan. ;P It always makes me excited when I recognize a villain/reference now, and the games teach me a lot of new stuff too. =)

One thing these games have emphasized for me is just how fallible/weak Batman is as one human up against all these (super)villains ^^; When I was fighting Poison Ivy and she was in one of her monster plants I was trying to find some way to like... blow it up or something, but the only ranged attack that would reach is the Batarang so turns out I was really just supposed to keep whittling away with puny nicks. OTL (Meanwhile I'm running around trying not to get eaten. ='D) Seeing the super-high death toll at Joker's hands makes me wonder just why anyone works at Arkham anyway. >.>; =/

I do like that AA was a lot easier in terms of holding your hand through a linear storyline (aside from some of the bosses the first time; the wonky frame rate makes the fights kinda weird too), since the most frustrating part of AK to me was the battle system where I'd often have to stop what I was doing and go find some random thugs to beat up to regain health. I'm still really bad at acting sneaky since I'm the type to go in guns blazing (which is the fastest way to get one's self shot and killed), though I'm more used to it now which probably helped as well. Still, dreading the shift to more open world mechanics in AC since I'm bound to get lost with low health again. *gulp*

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 12-02-2018 at 12:34 AM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #496
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Grinding: Monster Hunter World

• It's fucking Monster Hunter. You use a large stick to beat a monster until candy comes out, which you use in turn to make better sticks that can you can use on monsters with even better candy, ad infinitum. You're on a niche Pokemon fan forum that's older than half of its userbase: you don't need me to explain what this game is.

• This is my first MonHun, so I expected the bear ass collecting, but not the avalanche of shitty cat puns as inescapable as the cold inevitability of death

• The game is "story light" in the sense that none of the NPCs you meet even have names, just titles ("Commander", "Curious Scientist", "Uncomfortably Thirsty Hunter"). Nobody appears to have told some of the developers this, because any main story mission you play with a cutscene won't permit other players to join you until you've watched the lengthy mid-mission sequence where a Rathalos lights its farts on fire for giggles or some shit.

• And even with such a thin story, they still manage to stick you with an NPC companion that could be charitably described as "Ralph Wiggum as a genki girl", a creation so foully obnoxious that it could have only been produced in a DARPA lab that was working off of Unit 731's notes.

• That aside, the core gameplay loop is pretty fun. The monsters are cool, the zones are well realized with their own quirks to learn (e.g. luring a monster into a cave, then dropping stalactites on its head), and the wide variety of weapon types means that it's easy to find something that clicks with you. Once you get into the virtuous cycle of learn monster mechanics->beat monster->get better gear->beat monster harder the game winds up shooting the dopamine straight into your lizard hindbrain.

• While the game is apparently the most accessible MonHun has ever been the in-game tutorials are pretty thin and often don't cover important mechanics (e.g. Insect Glaive extract buffs), so this is yet another "read the Wiki/Reddit" game. I generally don't mind doing this, but I have an engineering degree and am therefore already dead inside so YMMV.

• I'm playing this on PC and it's a surprisingly good port, albeit with no current 21:9 support and capped at 60 FPS. Like the deliberate flaws in a Navajo rug it's not a true Japanese PC port if shit isn't at least a little jank.

• The PC port also unexpectedly has a modding community which has produced good QoL mods, an inevitable tide of shit made by dudes who desperately need to get laid, and the only mod that truly matters:

Last edited by Blastoise; 12-12-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #497
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I heard MHW had a lot of bugs on release. A lot of connection issues in party play. Has it become more stable? Also what controls are you using? A controller or keyboard/mouse and if keyboard, is it comfortable?

I'm planning to pick it up come Christmas if it's on sale. I opted for Nier Automata on Black Friday instead of MHW, but I do love me some MonHun. If you ever want to destroy your hands, get MHFU for PSP and learn the claw. lol. MH3U is also good.

I wasn't a big fan of MH4 and MHGen though. I didn't like the change to monster speeds, but keeping many of the player movesets pretty immobile. So many fights were actually me doing a draw attack, then tucking away to chase monsters because as a Lance/Gunlance main, I had gimped movement speeds. (I know they improved Lance charge, but that move used to be suicidal to use to I don't get into the habit of doing that)
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #498
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I heard MHW had a lot of bugs on release. A lot of connection issues in party play. Has it become more stable? Also what controls are you using? A controller or keyboard/mouse and if keyboard, is it comfortable?
No bugs so far. I've had one disconnect in 80+ hours, and in that situation the game simply continued as a solo hunt so while it was annoying it wasn't a particularly big deal.

I use a controller, haven't played with keyboard but shit like aiming with bows/bowguns is bound to V by default so it's the sort of keybindings you would make if the only games you played on PC involved flirting with underage girls.

Quote:
learn the claw
Old 12-22-2018, 10:59 PM   #499
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
That subtitle still doesn't make any sense to me.

Beat!
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
- 36:49:30
This was another fun one! Main flaws include environments being way to big, having to reload areas to activate new private actions, and having not nearly enough warp points! Pros is that battlings fun, the story and characters are good for the most part, some fresh well done ideas like an option to continue the battle music from one to the other as opposed to hearing it from the start each time, and its pretty short! That last thing being important for replay factor. Like it tooks me near 37 hours, but thats cause I was grinding out PAs and ended up doing every quest cause I got hooked on 'em. Games got a bad rep for being small and other things but I sure had a blast so w/e!
Old 12-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #500
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
Sonic Forces
Super Bomberman R

Christmas edition!! These are all games I've had my eyes on for awhile and as of very recently have been real cheap. Coulda got them for myself but wheres the fun in that when presents day is so near?! Plus the mystery factor of not know if you'll get all/any of 'em has its allure!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games