UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #26
Bluejolteon
Boulder Badge

The problem is that we can sort of see 2 romances going here, jinta and anaru/menma, its obvious that anaru has feelings for jinta and junta POSSIBLY has feelings for menma, but the last one is creepy for obvious reasons.

You talkin to me?
Bluejolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #27
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The thing is, so long as they keep Menma childlike and innocent (which who knows if they'll do or not ...), there's no long-term love triangle trouble: Yukiatsu will pair off with Tsuruko and Jintan will pair off with Anaru. If, on the other hand, they introduce the idea that Menma romantically cares for either (or both) of the two boys who liked her, then that not only opens up the loli can of worms, it also produces not one but two love triangles. I dunno: I don't think Menma will come between either of the two other girls. The group wouldn't be able to reunite if that were the case.

About the ending theme song ... Yuki, I owe you an apology, I guess. I still think the OP's better , but this ending has really grown on me. I'm even listening to the full-length version right now as I type this. Have you gotten the ED single yet? You should: since you liked the TV version of the song, I think you'll be pleased with the 5m52s version. (Not a fan of the 30+ second instrumental fade at the end of the track, but whatever. ^^; )

Episode 03 aired today and the first sets of raws are already up. Shouldn't be too long before gg gets their version out.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #28
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I can see this complaint, but I don't think Chii's in the same camp as Menma. Chii feels more like someone who is being reborn: she's more like Spock in Star Trek III than she is like Menma. As the show progresses and she develops more and more, she becomes less childlike and more young adult-like. The thing is, the most childish aspect to Chii's character is one which we miss in adults and admire when we do find it in adults -- and that is her perpetual bemusement at life. Everything fascinates her. She has a, as the saying goes, "childlike innocence" about her. But does this make her behaviorally child-like? Only partially. Or at least, to me and probably to unownmew, only partially. To you, it may be what drives her into the childlike state of mind camp, plopping her right down next to Menma.
The issue I have with this is that, as you said, she is literally being "reborn". A robot created from scratch may physically function as an adult well enough, but I still consider her mental capabilities practically on the level of a newborn's. It's not a matter of whether she acts childish or not - on a technical level, she is at the most a few years old. No matter how advanced her learning program may be, I don't believe maturity is something you can gain just through a few months of observation. It comes through experience. As far as I can see, Chii is merely behaving the same as a child who imitates an older role model. In my opinion, she has not yet progressed past the stage of a "reward and punishment" mindset. She performs in whatever manner will earn her praise and attention, the same as a young child or even pet would. I'm sure you will disagree with me on this account, but I cannot fathom how a one or two-year-old robot could begin to comprehend complex ideas such as love or justice - when even humans have a hard time grasping them - and then apply that reasoning to her actions.

That's not to say I'm against the idea she could never develop an understanding of human morals. I'd be happy and interested to watch such an event unfold - gradually, as it should. I think my problem with most robot romances is not so much the outcome, but the anticipation of it. I feel the appearance of robots create an illusion of physical maturity, when in essence they are no more than "token lolis". I wouldn't hold it against anyone, but if people who would directly pursue a relationship with a robot fail to realize that it's effectively the same as lusting over a loli... The thought just doesn't sit well with me. Of course, I wouldn't mind as much if a person was patient enough to teach and wait for the partner to grow, a relationship I sincerely hope Hideki will be able to keep up until Chii's fully ready to handle the next level. (Although I'm still slightly unsettled by the idea of a teacher prepping a pupil with the specific aim of dating said student.)

Quote:
Have you seen Elfen Lied? I think that Nyuu and Chii are very very similar characters and I'd be interested/surprised to hear you say that you think Nyuu, too, is in the same boat as Menma. (EDIT: If you haven't seen Elfen Lied, here's a good and pretty darn spoiler-free sample of Nyuu's behavior.) Whereas Chii and Nyuu are childlike because of their amnesia/completely wiped-clean slates, Menma is childlike because she is a child. Perhaps that subtlety is not so subtle to my brain or to unownmew's but is too subtle to yours to be acceptable. *shrug*
Nyuu reminds me more of Makoto. I'd have to know more of her background to make a fair judgment on her level of social development, and from what you say perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions on the extent of Chii's past wisdom and experience as well. I guess I'll have to watch the rest and find out... Sometime in summer. =3

Quote:
About the ending theme song ... Yuki, I owe you an apology, I guess. I still think the OP's better , but this ending has really grown on me. I'm even listening to the full-length version right now as I type this. Have you gotten the ED single yet? You should: since you liked the TV version of the song, I think you'll be pleased with the 5m52s version. (Not a fan of the 30+ second instrumental fade at the end of the track, but whatever. ^^; )
I actually don't care for the ED that much, but I've been listening to ZONE's original version of the song on replay for the past week. The cover is pretty too, but I mostly appreciate it for introducing me to ZONE's deeper, heartfelt rendition.

On the topic of music, I looked up the band behind Hanasaku Iroha's OP and promotional music and ended up downloading their album. The singing's kind of weird, but I like their instrumentals. I think my favorite is "Yumeji" from the fourth PV. The second PV is nice as well. If nothing else, the pretty opening hooks are enough to draw me in.

I'll try to catch the last episode of AnoHana (and Hanasaku Iroha) before I head home tomorrow. ...Sure no one wants to join me in waiting for the series to finish before watching the rest? *shot*

Edit- By the way, thought I'd also let you know there's another animé ED cover. Full version here. I think I like this rendition better than AnoHana's, actually. Especially the chorus.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 04-28-2011 at 08:08 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #29
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh wow, I had no idea it was a cover! That kind of ruins it for me, actually. lol I'm a "original > cover" guy 99.9% of the time. I'll even seek out the artist's own original performance of a song rather than settling for re-recordings by that same artist. (Memorable example was Nakajima Miyuki's Jidai. Click to expand for discusison.)
Spoiler: show
The 1977 Version, sadly littered with clapping and microphone voiceovers, has completely different pacing and intonation from the later 197x/8x Version, wherein you hear a much stronger-voiced Nakajima singing and who takes ... how do I put it ... heavier, more momentous turns around delicious lyrical turning points than does her Version A self. And she has done reperformances and re-recordings of the song throughout the 1980s and 1990s, each a different version entirely with a different spirit. Like this third version here. For me, though, there's just no comparison with the original{s}.

If you watch that third version, btw, the English translation is pretty good. There are a few places he condenses two half-stanzas into one, or two lines into one, but retains the basic idea; and a few other places where the interpretation of the lyric is up to the individual and he and I disagree; but more or less it's a good translation and you can use it to appreciate what Nakajima Miyuki is wonderfully singing about in her song "Jidai."
Old 04-29-2011, 04:24 AM   #30
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Saw the third episode -

I didn't like this one as much as the second and first. Things are moving perhaps a bit too quickly in some areas, but not others. I was really glad Jinta was going to school but grew upset as he aborted the plan. And instead of going back or fessing up at home, he loitered. I know he's traumatized, but it was still bothersome.

Yukiatsu claiming to see Menma was probably the worst part, I felt. How that revelation was introduced - where Yukiatsu suddenly appears at the end despite no involvement in the episode, and after he smelled Menma's clothes in the previous episode, makes me think the director is trying to bait the viewers into thinking he can see "ghost" Menma, when it's probably going to be Yukiatsu seeing Menma's influence in the people or something, like how that other girl noticed Anaru was wearing a white one-piece.

All things considered, a kind of boring episode with uneven pace. Nothing happened in the first half, then we have set-up for the ending and a continuation of the previous episode (which would seem repetitive but doesn't feel like it because of how deep rooted the rift between friends is) plus a surprise TWIST! at the end. Not my cup of tea.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #31
Bluejolteon
Boulder Badge

Well from what i've seen its an ok episodes but there are a few flaws, why didnt jintas dad even care about him not going to school? some dad :L also at the end when yugiatsu said others oculd see menma, why couldnt they in episodes 1 or 2. i mean its only a few days difference in the show, and why is it that yugiatsu and the girl hes with all the time (forgot her name) get so little charicter development(or screen time) yet jinta and anaru and menma get most of it? Other than that though its a decent episode and sets up for the later episodes, but like you said doppel, it does feel a bit rushed.

You talkin to me?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #32
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Oh wow, I had no idea it was a cover!
XD Did you miss my whole ZONE rant right after I linked the ED the first time?

Watched the third episode. Despite its pacing problems, I liked it.

From an observational standpoint, I think if Jinta had gone to school, the only development that could have come out of it was his relationship with Anaru. Seeing as Bluejolteon is already complaining about how so much time is focused on those two, it's probably better that the writers put it off for the time being and instead concentrated on getting the whole gang back together. I too would like to see Jinta return to school, but I didn't honestly expect it to happen until a later episode, when the connections are established and Menma can start putting her effort into solving each individual's problems one by one. Plus moving the setting suddenly to the school would likely rush Jinta's and Anaru's relationship, giving the other four even less screentime/involvement with each other.

I can understand Jinta's loitering and later lying to Menma to save face, since he's scared to betray what he may truly believe is the wish of his dead best friend. Now he has two heavy burdens on his conscience. I think Jinta's just the type of guy who ends up accumulating guilt by avoiding problems or chickening out at the last minute, and he doesn't know how to escape the cycle. I bet when Menma finds out about it, there'll be hell to pay - a scene which I'm rather looking forward to seeing.

I don't believe Yukiatsu actually saw Menma. I think he's lying because he's jealous of Jinta and wants to be the one closest to her. I'm not sure what Poppo saw in the woods, but I doubt it's Menma's actual ghost - or at least the Menma we've seen so far.

On a random note, lots of pretty girls this episode. Anaru looks lovely with her hair down, and Tsuruko's not too shabby with hers up either (we need Kyon's opinion). Jinta's mom is gorgeous. I couldn't believe Menma thought her photo was unflattering.

Anyone know how many episodes total this series is planned for? 12-13? Or 24-26?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #33
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Last I heard: 11.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #34
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Ah. I did expect it to be on the shorter end, which is good since I usually prefer short series. I still don't see a reason to send Jinta to school just yet other than to force him deal more with Anaru. I think he needs to realize first that he actually wants to come out of his shell and return to society before he'll be willing to stick with it.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #35
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's a bit weird, but in occult camps it's possible to see two ghosts of the same person can exist. I've read stories of "ghosts" appearing for living beings, and if one thinks about it, what exactly precludes the idea of there being multiple ghosts? We accept science fiction stuff like parallel worlds and parallel selves, but why can't ghosts be derivative copies of the same master record?

The episode hint suggests -

That Poppo's ghost is NOT Menma, but Jinta's mother. My impression was Menma looked up to Jinta's mother and tried to imitate her, and since Poppo is more familiar with Menma's style, he would mistake her inspiration for Menma herself.

My only question is why Jinta's mother would appear in the woods, and what motivation would her spirit have to come back?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #36
Bluejolteon
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
My only question is why Jinta's mother would appear in the woods, and what motivation would her spirit have to come back?[/spoiler]
Its possible that when she saw how jintas life had spiraled she came back, but poppo was focused on menma at the time so he mistook her for menma

You talkin to me?
Old 04-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #37
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I watched episode 3 as well. Like everyone else, I'm a bit disappointed in how rushed it was.

I honestly didn't expect everyone to get back together until episode 6 or something. Since everyone in the group seemed to pretty much hate each other, I thought this episode and the next few would be spent on patching up their(Jinta, Anaru, and Poppo) relationship with the glasses couple. So the glasses couple instantly agreeing to come to the barbecue kind of surprised me. It also killed alot of room for development. Oh well, no big deal. I still enjoyed the episode.

As far as what I think about the others seeing Menma. It's Jesus. Problem solved.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 04-29-2011 at 11:58 PM.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #38
Bluejolteon
Boulder Badge

to be fair, theres only 11 episodes in it from what we know, although they were getitng 2 or 3 episodes ahead of themselves

And bertha, its not jesus, its chuck norris

You talkin to me?

Last edited by Bluejolteon; 04-29-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #39
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I saw Episode 03 yesterday. Thoughts:

This episode was yet another great episode. (What are you guys complaining about!? Will read closer once I finish writing this post as unbiased by your views as possible first.)

The episode opens with an important scene -- Poppo sees Menma's ghost walking in the woods. This confirms (?) that she's really come back as a ghost and is not just an illusion of Jinta's. Then again, the Menma ghost Jinta knows later denies knowledge of having walked through the woods late at night, so it's possible that Jinta's Menma is still a hallucination for all we know. We'll just have to wait and see if the others are capable of seeing Jinta's Menma or not.

Jinta going to school because he feels he owes it to Anaru but then not being able to go through with it when Anaru's bitch friends poke fun at him seemed very realistic.

The knowledge that Jinta's mother died is very interesting. One wonders how this will further tie into the plot of the story.

LOL when Poppo called Jinta "aibou".

Nice touch having Menma know that Jinta's lying about school letting out early but letting it slide. It's clear that she's satisfied that he at least made the effort to go. She recognizes that this is hard for him.

Interesting that Menma can touch, eat food. This is not new to Japanese ghost stories by any means, but what it does mean is that (theoretically) Jinta should be able to use Menma's ability to cook food to prove to himself or to the others that the Menma he's seeing is real. Then again -- we only saw her cook and eat food with Jinta. So we'll have to see her do it again in front of others before we can really confirm that she's real or not. Again: I want her to be real, but I'll play the Devil's Advocate as long as I have to if it means being a good sleuth and not getting tricked by later plot developments!

Yukiatsu purchasing bangles for Menma = CREEPY! ^^; Poor bastard! What is wrong with him!? I mean ......... And poor Tsuruko. She must really like this guy to keep tagging along with him in the hopes that he'll wake up one day and pick her.

Wow, talk about fast pacing! Already the entire gang is back together again, by episode 03! I didn't expect to see this until, like, Episode 08 or so. Wow! Major kudos to the writers for not wasting time! This show is blazing along! (The opposite of slow development!)

Anaru with her hair down = MAJOR HOTTIE. I can now confidently predict that there will be an ample number of AnoHana Anaru doujins this summer. lol

LOL @ how Tsuruko is like the gloomy type who'd think to bring candles for a spiritual summoning, hahahahaha. LOL @ how Poppo breaks up the budding argument between Tsuruko and Anaru when Anaru reveals she brought fireworks. That guy is amazing.

When Yukiatsu showed up, it was nice confirmation love-triangle wise to see that he didn't 100% confidently recognize her at first or seem excited to see her, and that she likewise didn't really seem enthusiastic to see him. So we can pretty damn confidently at this point cross of Yukiatsu x Anaru, confirming (as if it wasn't confirmed already) that Yukiatsu's beef with Jinta is over Menma.

As for the final scene of the episode: I wonder if Yukiatsu is just trolling the group because he's disgusted by their lack of respect for Menma, deceased. I wonder if Episode 04 will open with Menma, Poppo, and Anaru running to the stream but seeing nothing. And meanwhile, back at base camp, Yukiatsu will get into a fight with Jinta and Tsuruko will be the only one there to witness it and/or break it up. Then again, it'll be interesting, too, if Yukiatsu actually did see Menma near the stream ... though it'd beg the question of why he'd not pursue her and would instead make his way towards the others. I mean, this guy has been missing Menma for years. You'd think that if he saw her, he'd chase after her.

Okay, now that I've posted thoughts ... I'll go back through and read your guys' posts and spoiler comments.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #40
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Wow, talk about fast pacing! Already the entire gang is back together again, by episode 03! I didn't expect to see this until, like, Episode 08 or so. Wow! Major kudos to the writers for not wasting time! This show is blazing along! (The opposite of slow development!)
I must admit I can't really call the sudden reunion a terrible move because we still don't know what the show will do with that, but I'm not getting a clear focus for where the show wants to go. Are we going to rehabilitate Jinta and get Yukiatsu to finally move on? Or is the show really focused around Menma's ghost and granting her wish?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #41
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

I really liked the episode. ^^; I just didn't want to be the first dissenting voice.

I'm surprised few of you thought Yukiatsu was lying about seeing Menma. I thought you could totally tell the sarcasm in his eyes and tone. I mean, like Talon said, if he really saw Menma, why wouldn't he chase after her and probably try to keep her all to himself? From what we've seen, this guy is 100% possessive stalker material.

As for his reasons for lying, I can see where Talon got the idea that he may be disgusted with the entire group, but I really think it's more than just that. I'm honestly surprised you didn't come up with the jealousy theory too. I'm sure if the group finds out he lied and they ask him about it, he'd probably claim he was just trolling because he couldn't stand to see them playing around in a dead girl's name and they needed a wake-up call. Deep down he probably wants to believe in it though, and is angry at the fact that Menma would only appear to Jinta.

...Maybe I'm just more attuned to the creepy, dark, jealous types since I analyzed Itsuki Koizumi. XD Eh heh heh.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #42
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't subscribe to the jealousy theory because I don't believe he believes Jinta can genuinely see Menma. I think he was upset when Poppo ran into him in Episode 02 and was talking about Menma not because that convinced him Menma was back and was real and had picked Jinta to hang around with but because he was getting more and more angry that Jinta was involving others in his sick, selfish, delusional fantasies. Yukiatsu, of course, knows better than to involve others in his fantasies. lol

However, I could be wrong. We know too little right now to rule me in and you out or vice versa. Both theories are on the table for now.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #43
Bluejolteon
Boulder Badge

lets just wait till the next episode to see if any of our theorys are right ;)

You talkin to me?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #44
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

I agree that Yukiatsu doesn't fully believe Jinta can see Menma yet and mostly wants to teach him a lesson. I'm just saying there must be a small part of him that's considered the possibility Jinta's telling the truth - and if so, that pisses him off because he wants to be Menma's #1 go-to guy.

Anyway, you guys have fun watching the rest of the series. XP Guess I won't find out if my theory's right until much later. *resists urge to ask for spoilers*
Old 04-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #45
Bluejolteon
Boulder Badge

why not just watch it with us rather than ask for spoilers and get shot again?

You talkin to me?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #46
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

I guess you haven't been around long enough to hear my complaints, but I have dial-up at home. I'll be here for at least a month of summer.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #47
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I called it. Not like it was the most difficult thing to predict , but still. When your nickname is Anaru ("anal"), this is bound to happen to you:

One artist's samples for the comic convention this spring. WARNING!! Content is strictly 18+. The link can be safely clicked on from anywhere at any time, but clicking on the picture will take you to the album (five sample images), somewhere that is 100% for adult eyes only and is NSFW!

Another artist's thoughts on where Anaru'd be working in America.

Here's another NSFW 18+ only one. This one you mustn't click if you're underage or not somewhere safe. It's 18+ right from the get-go, this one.

I think you get the idea with three. Suffice to say, the "anaru = anaru" meme has taken off and there are going to be lots of comics exploring it. This is certainly helped along by the fact that Anaru has shaped up to be quite the beauty and that AnoHana is quite the anime this season.

If you want to see more Anaru fanart, try searching for あの花 ("ano hana") on Pixiv. That was what I did. For obvious reasons, I did not attempt to search for Anaru by name.

EDIT:
Let's add some more fanart, shall we? And how about some worksafe stuff that's fun for the whole family? ^^;

wallpaper of the flowers from the ED video sequence
movie poster-style pic of the entire group
Ocean's Eleven-style picture of the group all grown up
fan rendering of scene from Episode 01 of Jinta and Menma in sunset
Anaru (child w/ umbrella) and Anaru (teen) in the rain of flowers
hahaha, humorous fan comic about the end of Episode 03
big fanart picture of the group grown up
a more individual take, artistically/design-wise, on the opening shot of the grown-up group
Anaru gets teary-eyed looking at photo in bedroom, Menma Ghost appears in second shot

Last edited by Talon87; 04-30-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #48
Bluejolteon
Boulder Badge

ah rule 34 has already applied to this show, if u dont know what rule 34 is......
http://ohinternet.com/Rule_34

You talkin to me?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #49
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

So a friend of mine told me this strange/interesting theory he's apparently been hearing...

Yukiatsu is crossdressing as Menma.

What do you guys think? Would he go so far to troll everyone? The more I think about it, the more it kinda makes sense. He's got the dress (+ accessories), the grade A creepiness, and that mysterious air of knowledge...

...Uh oh. I think Yukiatsu's becoming my new Itsuki. Oh boy a new puppet to play with. This is gonna be fun. *cackle*

Edit- Guys... I just found this image... DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE (PREMATURELY) SCARRED:

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 05-06-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #50
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Clicked first spoiler box, avoided clicking second spoiler box out of admitted fear that first spoiler box proves to be correct. O_o; For now, I will sit here in my comfortable position of having only clicked on box 1 and say "Nooooooooo " to you. "No way, Yuki. There's no way that's gonna happen." But who knows. Whooooo knooooooooows ...

Let's say your theory is right? It wouldn't explain away the ending scene of Episode 03.
(safe if you've clicked on Yuki's first spoiler box last post)
Yukiatsu can't be in two places at once, after all, so there's not much point in telling the others "Rush to the creek!" if his intention was to then cross-dress as Menma and fool them. He wouldn't be able to. Not enough time, no guarantee all four others would part from his side, etc etc.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime