UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 06-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #2276
Heather
Naga's Voice

I don't think I've ever been boned by moveset outcomes in Randbats, I usually get boned by having a crappy team compared to one that's 50% or more Übers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #2277
Red Panda
head head bitch

Ah, thanks Talon.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #2278
phoopes
Double Dragon

Yeah I complain about the RandBats all the time. Like obvious dedicated attackers not having a STAB move... ugh. If there are any changes to how RandBats moves are decided, I'll let ya'll know.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #2279
Red Panda
head head bitch

Yeah I've been frustrated quite a few times in the case that I get something like Druddigon where the only attacking move it has is ThunderPunch. With some pokemon it isn't as bad (like Escavalier, who basically has all attacking moves + SD), but with things like Claydol you might get screwed over with just Ice Beam, you might get no attacking moves bar Rapid Spin, you never know.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #2280
Talon87
時の彼方へ

There are some cases where you're better off without a STAB move than with one. Since you mention Claydol, he's a pretty good example: I'd rather have Ice Beam, Reflect/Light Screen, Stealth Rock, and {some other move; Rapid Spin, the other screen, Toxic} than have either Earth Power or Earthquake overwrite Ice Beam or Stealth Rock. STAB doesn't help Claydol out too much and plenty of things are immune to Ground-type attacks. But Ice Beam? Ice Beam, even without a STAB to back it up, is going to decimate those pesky Dragon/Flying or Dragon/Ground dragons as well as (if you're not killed by Giga Drain / Leaf Storm first) those peskier Harvest Sitrus Berry Tropius.

I agree though that in general you want to have a damage-dealing move of one of your own types.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #2281
Red Panda
head head bitch

Yeah, I can see your point about that. And at least nothing is immune to Ice. But in some cases the moves have been like Toxic/Light Screen/Reflect/Rapid Spin and I'm just like "Seriously?" Yes, the screens and toxic have some utility, but Claydol quickly becomes set up fodder for the other team so I basically use it as a free switch in for one of my pokemon (see: death fodder).
Old 06-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #2282
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Fowl II View Post
I don't think I've ever been boned by moveset outcomes in Randbats, I usually get boned by having a crappy team compared to one that's 50% or more Übers.
But doesn't randbats scale level based on BST, making such things pretty much irrelevant? I remember hearing in this thread that, like, Dodrio is a randbat allstar.

Like iirc I once dismantled a team of legends primarily with a Ninetales and that was great.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #2283
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post

But doesn't randbats scale level based on BST, making such things pretty much irrelevant? I remember hearing in this thread that, like, Dodrio is a randbat allstar.

Like iirc I once dismantled a team of legends primarily with a Ninetales and that was great.
Tiers come into play before BST, but stuff like Farfetch'd is gonna be a higher level than like, say, Sawk.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #2284
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post

I've given up on trying to get Myles to understand this at this point.

Dodrio is pretty phenomenal. You can use him early game to put your enemy in a corner with respect to switching options or you can save him for endgame to carry out a merciless sweep of the enemy's remaining forces. Swellow (Guts, Toxic Orb, Facade) is in this same camp as are a number of other UU, RU, or NU Normals.

Ninetales is definitely powerful but I find that she tends to fail to sweep more easily than the Flying/Normal superstars do. Too much Flash Fire, Drizzle, etc. Her Grass Knot against enemy Kyogre fails to OHKO, which is disappointing, and away she goes.

Give me a Flame Orb Magic Guard Sigilyph or a Hone Claws Hustle Durant any day over a Groudon or a Zekrom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
Tiers come into play before BST
This isn't right. See above. The Random Battle tier makes gods out of men and men out of gods. Some Übers remain über even in Random Battle (Mewtwo, Lugia, Xerneas) but many of the OU heroes are Random Battle's equivalent of UU and vice versa. Cobalion > Virizion > Terrakion is one example. Swellow is the format's equivalent of an OU star and outperforms Random Battle Alakazam, Gardevoir, Groudon, Zekrom, etc. The point is that the tiers are shaken up in Random Battle. You can't say "OU is OU, UU is UU, but within those boxes things have been shaken up." It just isn't accurate to say. :\ Some RU Pokémon are RandBat monarchs while some OU Pokémon are RandBat paupers.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #2285
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
Thats not exactly what I meant. I meant that the levels of the Pokemon are based off of the tiers and not the BST (except in extreme cases). Most OU Pokes are ~72 or so, while UU is like ~78. So on and so forth. I didnt mean that the tier determines the viability of a Pokemon, because thats simply not true.

Anyways...

Volc has no place in UU

(UU 20 turns)

Spoiler: show
Even when I was at 11% health with Volc, I was able to come in on Blastoise and seal the deal with Giga Drain. Seriously, GET OUT OF UU!!! Blissey and Florges are the only things that stand a chance against against him :S
Old 06-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #2286
Heather
Naga's Voice

When you face a team that has 3 title legends and you've got stuff that's likely 1/3 OU at best, rest of it lower in Randbats...

Then you can talk to me about getting screwed team wise. Because that has legitimately happened to me. And levels don't do crap. In my Pearl version, my highest level is like 44-45, yet I can still kick the shit out of Flint's level SIXTY ONE Infernape. Making a legends level lower doesn't make it any less of a powerhouse.

Quote:
Old 06-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #2287
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
When you face a team that has 3 title legends and you've got stuff that's likely 1/3 OU at best, rest of it lower in Randbats...

Then you can talk to me about getting screwed team wise.
When you get your Random Battle Elo score up past 1500, then you can talk to me about understanding why the box cover legendaries are typically the worst legendaries you could ask for in Random Battle and why it is more of an embarrassment than anything else to say, "I lost to a team that had three of them! "
Old 06-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #2288
Red Panda
head head bitch

Some of the dragons aren't bad. Palkia's probably the best of them, since most of his attacks are, well, attacking moves, with Flame Charge Reshiram and the Kyurem Forms right behind (not pure Kyurem though). Giratina-O is definitely the worst. Usually no recovery (the only is RestTalk I believe), yet they sometimes give him Substitute, and pretty poor attacking stats.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:35 AM   #2289
phoopes
Double Dragon

>Mewtwo, Lugia, Xerneas remain Über

Oh my god Xerneas for most broken RandBats mon.

Another legend I really like in RandBats is Darkrai, even at Level 70 I think it is. You have to work around Choice Scarf if you want to use Dark Void but it's just so valuable sometimes. Love it.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #2290
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
>Giratina-O

No Altered is a million times worse.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #2291
Red Panda
head head bitch

At least Altered has Leftovers or something. It functions decently as a wall.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #2292
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I think both Giratinas are fine in Random Battle. It depends on how you use them, what moves you're given, and what you're up against (a lot of variables), but on average I would say that Giratina-O is Random Battle's equivalent of "UU serviceable in OU" and default Giratina is the equivalent of solid UU.
  • While less so than in Challenge Cup where Normal-type attacks are everywhere, Ghost types are still a great asset in Random Battles. Return is a fairly common copy+paste move for most physical attackers and being immune to it is nice. Being immune to the entirety of the Fighting type is nice too. While a niche example, Giratina is an excellent counter to most Hitmonlee. (Unburden @ Normal Gem @ Fake Out, Sucker Punch, Hi Jump Kick, and something else.) Not only are you immune to its STAB and to its Normal Gem's activating move, you're also able to use Will-o-Wisp or Calm Mind + Whirlwind/Roar to utterly wreck it.
  • Default Giratina, while its defenses have been neutered from what they'd be in Übers, still has nice defenses for the format. Its Dragon typing offers some nice resistances to complement the immunities and resistances offered by its Ghost typing.
  • Origin Forme Giratina, while not as fast as it would be in Übers, is still fast enough (like an OU version of base 100) to outspeed most slowpoke threats. And its Dragon Pulses and Shadow Balls, while they certainly won't OHKO (they may not even 2HKO), do decent damage against vulnerable foes.
I would agree though that Giratina tends to be more of a burden than a boon. Going second sucks. Not being able to OHKO things also sucks. I'd definitely much rather have a Virizion than have a Giratina.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #2293
Heather
Naga's Voice

Mismagius says FEAR ME!

Despte the forfeit at the end, iIthink we know how that would have gone. Someone give this witch a medal-One Nasty Plot and that team was dead. Don't ask me about normal types-She was running T-bolt too, so basically all Missy had to fear was a Diggersby-which was not present.

Quote:
Old 06-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #2294
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Mismagius says FEAR ME!

Despte the forfeit at the end, iIthink we know how that would have gone. Someone give this witch a medal-One Nasty Plot and that team was dead. Don't ask me about normal types-She was running T-bolt too, so basically all Missy had to fear was a Diggersby-which was not present.
Good job!

The Head Smash feint on Turn 1 was smart but could've backfired on you horribly. In a sense it did backfire as he didn't fall for the feint and opted to use Leaf Blade anyway. But lucky for you it wasn't enough to OHKO. Unlucky for you your Head Smash still missed, making your good feint all for nothing.

Excellent call on Turn 4.

The rest wasn't so much skill as LOL SHADOW BALL SPAM I WIN NOW 'K BYE, but good for you that you didn't make the newbie mistake of using Nasty Plot more than once. Even using it once was technically risky as Mienshao might've had Knock Off and killed you in one hit; but as they say, "no risk, no gain." You took a risk and it paid off handsomely.

Congratulations on mid-1100s. Next goal: hitting and holding onto 1200. You can do it!
Old 06-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #2295
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Ugh I'm going against my better judgement and making a VGC team with both Murkrow and Honchkrow named LeFou and Gaston respectively. LeFou plays the same as all other Murkrows with Taunt / Tailwind / Thunder Wave and Gaston is offensive with Assurance / Sucker Punch / Brave Bird. Anyone have any suggestions for other Pokemon?
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #2296
Heather
Naga's Voice

New Day, New Team, and a victory on the first try!

Who knew a BL such as Crawdaunt could have pulled off such an epic save? Thank you based Adaptability! <3

Quote:
Old 06-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #2297
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Hi, my name is Blaze, and I approve of the FFVI references.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #2298
Heather
Naga's Voice

Yes, I just started the game on my iPad, and though I'm lost after shadow just left for the first time, love the game. I slipped in some of my custom names because I cant remember some of the default ones.

Quote:
Old 06-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #2299
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

LeFou the Champ*

*This battle does not represent what Murkrows are supposed to do in any way
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #2300
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

>Using Mega Venusaur when you could be using Five Dozen the Exeggutor

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON