UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 08-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #201
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Something I've been wondering about that franchise - why does it work like a game? Also, how can anyone like Scott, considering he is the textbook definition of a "douchebag"?
Sounds like you need to see it to answer these questions yourself.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #202
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

You should write lengthy reviews for money, Nick. I find them often more entertaining than the movie themselves.

As for Up, I have to say it was one of the better Pixar movies in my book. Sure, I had some problems with it and a few things (like the dog-biplane incident) did seem like they were pandering to their demographic more than anything else, but I thought it was relatively enjoyable. Provided, I'm not a huge Pixar fanboy, but I do enjoy their work fairly consistently (with the exception of Cars, which I found to be pretty terrible) and enough to watch most of their movies twice.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #203
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Awwww. Disappointed two days in a row. But it's not your fault this time, Muyo: I simply haven't gotten around to seeing Up yet, so I wasn't able to read any of your post except for Paragraph #1, the italics disclaimer, and the final sentence.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #204
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
You should write lengthy reviews for money, Nick. I find them often more entertaining than the movie themselves.
Cracked list incoming- Top 5 chase scenes... from Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Provided, I'm not a huge Pixar fanboy, but I do enjoy their work fairly consistently (with the exception of Cars, which I found to be pretty terrible) and enough to watch most of their movies twice
Did you like Ratatouille? If so... why?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #205
Emp
Volcano Badge

Ratatouille had a nice warm vibe, but it lacked a decent plot and memorable characters in my opinion.

I watched Star Trek on Sky Movies. Probably the best Star Trek thing I've seen, although Kirk was a bit annoying at times.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #206
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

>Probably the best Star Trek thing I've seen

Please say the only other Star Trek things you've seen are STV and Threshold.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #207
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
Sounds like you need to see it to answer these questions yourself.
I'd rather not, from everything I've heard about that movie it's everything it represents all my hatred & contempt for comic books, adolescent melodrama, rock bands and video games rolled into a single big, fat Havana cigar. I haven't dared to talk to fans of it, so I'd like to hear an outsider's opinion, because apparently most outsiders are not pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraJolteon View Post
>Probably the best Star Trek thing I've seen

Please say the only other Star Trek things you've seen are STV and Threshold.
My Dad was so excited by the new movie he started rewatching the classic ST episodes, and got me to watch a few. I've got to say I pride myself in enjoying them because it seems like so many people these days decide to watch things for completely superficial details (like CGI) while the basic plots and characters of well-written stories like in the ST episodes I saw resonate no matter what era they're in. So far I've only seen three of his "top ten" episodes - The Changeling, Space Seed (which I picked out of three choices because I thought it had to do with alien plants) and This Side of Paradise (ironic given this was another of the three choices).

I've heard J.J. Abrahms wasn't a fan of the ST franchise growing up (a SW kind of guy, and it shows), but seeing as he's manning the new franchise I can only hope that he incorporates more of the science fiction from the series into the next movie. I'd also like to see new Kirk's character evolve because while I liked new Kirk in the movie, he pales in comparison to Shatner's Kirk. I give him credit for being a hot-head though, since he's a lot younger. I'm not hoping for an imitation Kirk, maybe a fusion of both portrayals.

If the next movie is just a repeat of the first, I'll be disappointed. It needs to aspire for a deeper meaning beyond "space pandemonium!", though that was fitting for the first film. I've suggested in discussions that redoing The Wrath of Khan would be the ideal choice, because as far as the science fiction discussion goes it's not quite as abstract and sophisticated as a few of the other plots, so a mainstream audience wouldn't be alienated by it. Additionally, the idea's been tossed about from time to time (by the director himself) but Kahn being a potential ally of the Federation and

Spoiler: show
not a tragic victim of circumstance like he was, would allow for the exponential technological growth he mentioned in his debut. In fact, with the three episodes I saw, Nomad and Khan both possessed incredible potential to boost humanity's technological strength, both squandered due to a lack of foresight. Even one of them alone (Khan) could change things and it would have been interesting to see how that worked out. Especially since Older Spock is in the movie and can steer Khan away from the planet his people were deployed on.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #208
Emp
Volcano Badge

STV, NG and all the NG movies.. I guess I like the bigger budget, action, special effects?

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Old 08-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #209
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

So you're ranking STXI above "The Inner Light", "I, Borg" or "First Contact"?

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #210
Emp
Volcano Badge

I haven't seen The Inner Light Oo; I'd have thought someone who likes borg stories would be a fan of voyager
Old 08-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #211
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I enjoyed Star Trek 11. Any Trek fan who feels that Brannon Braga and Rick Berman could do a better job with Trek than J.J. Abrams has done need to be reminded of the trainwreck that was Star Trek: Voyager and the atom bomb of badness that was Star Trek X: Nemesis.

But since Zora seems to be in a hating mood, why not:

Highly recommended to haters of Trek XI. But fans like myself will enjoy it, too.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #212
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>Did you like Ratatouille? If so... why?

At first, kinda. I was never like 100% impressed this is a great movie. I did find the theater-going experience to be... enjoyable, I suppose, but I really didn't like. Love it. Or even like it all that much.

I am a little biased towards it because the Parisian theme (which in retrospect they portrayed horridly) inspired one of my favorite short stories. But aside from that I really didn't love it that much. I actually remember drifting away from the movie mentally to pen said story in my head and actually ended up missing like an eight of the movie because that was a more interesting activity.

It definitely decays in hindsight.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 08-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #213
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraJolteon View Post
So you're ranking STXI above "The Inner Light", "I, Borg" or "First Contact"?
The Inner Light is fucking brilliant. Definitely my favorite episode.
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #214
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm not a big fan of Family Guy, but it just got +5 points in my book for this cultural nod at "The Inner Light".

And if you haven't watched Red Letter Media's full review of the Star Trek films from the TNG era, you really should. (He's reviewed all four of them!) But for now, since we're discussing Picard's flute ... check this bit out. Watch from where I've linked you (5:04) until the scene ends around the 7-minute mark.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EH_9gky57M = The Inner Light, Part 1 of x on Youtube. This way you can watch it if you've never seen it before.

Last edited by Talon87; 08-18-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #215
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Oh, so that's the famous flute! I saw a "Trekkie" auction on TV where props from TNG (and maybe the the original series?) were being auctioned off, and Picard reminisced about the flute prop...and how it doesn't actually play.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #216
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I just finished "The Inner Light" and wow that was beautiful.

One of the best Star Trek episodes of all time. A masterful feat of short story telling in television program form.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 08-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #217
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Well, let's build the hype for Muyo's Toy Story 3 review just a little higher.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-21-2010, 04:19 AM   #218
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Eh, with the 3D ticket price gouge going on, it's not surprising and not nearly as aggravating as Finding Nemo breaking The Lion King's record.

Let's Disney.

Beauty and the Beast block
Quote:
Beauty and the Beast is one of the worst. For all that Belle is a strong, independent woman, the basic message is "See girls, it's ok if your boyfriend is a controlling, jealous, physically abusive jerk, because your love will make him all better!"
This is interesting, because "controlling, jealous, physically abusive jerk" applies a great deal more to Gaston than it does to Beast, and Belle makes it perfectly clear she's not taking Gaston's shit.
"Madame Gaston!"

Let's look at her relationship with Beast though, and see what we've got to work with. In the first place, she is his prisoner- she offers herself to take the place of her father (her idea, not his). That's not going to score points with the feminists, but if everything were spiff from the start it would be a shitty movie. Belle explores the castle, Beast yells at her for entering the banned area, Belle runs away- Again, not taking abusive shit. Then Beast saves her life and she takes him back and cares for him- I think most people will agree that if someone risks their life to successfully save yours, they get a do over. From that point on, there aren't any real squabbles, certainly not controlling/jealous/abusive shit, and Beast does what abusive partners would never do- he lets her go. No condition that she return or anything. As for the "her love makes it better" bit, she doesn't love him until the end- otherwise the spell would have been broken. Belle's story isn't one of compromising herself to placate an abusive overlord, if anything she imposes her own will on Beast and makes him better for it. Don't compromise, don't settle, don't marry a man who doesn't stimulate you intellectually and don't put up with being treated poorly. Our battered Disney Princess, ladies and gentlemen!

Mulan block
The Mulan stuff I've seen is just moronic though. I've seen people lambasting Mulan because "She had to dress like a man to join the army, she should have shown that women are as good as men straight out!" I shit you not. It's set in feudal fucking China, people! The entire point is- if she gets found out she's a woman, she's dead. The message I get is "Don't let gender roles hold you back from what you want to do". Though Mulan is cunning, she still has to bust her ass to cut it as a soldier, and she still almost gets tossed out of camp. Mulan is special- she worked harder than everyone else and was rewarded for it, and you don't have to be a woman to get the message there.

The Lion King
Quote:
The last Disney movie I sat through was The Lion King -- and I fumed through most of it. It's xenophobic propaganda, pure and simple.

"The animal kingdom was happy happy happy because the lions were in charge. The other animals didn't mind being eaten by the lions, because the lions were the rightful rulers and that made it okay. Then one day a nasty old faggot lion broke the color line and invited in some horrible black people hyenas who really messed things up. Fortunately the lions got their revenge on the faggot lion and the black people and now everything is wonderful again. The End."
My mind is full of fuck. My first response would be
THE KING AND QUEEN ARE BLACK. But I think that misses the point. Scar is an evil mofo, no getting around that, and his mane is black... But so what? Lions have black manes for real. It just happens. This is not just some rogue black lion who comes along, kills the leader and kills the cubs (what happens in nature all the time), that you could possibly make an argument for as racist. However Scar and Mufasa are brothers. Full brothers. And for what it's worth, TLK2 spoiler
Simba's daughter ends up marrying one of those nasty darkie lions in the sequel.

So let's move on to the Hyena complaint. They're not black (okay, Whoopi is, but that's beside the point)

They're Nazis. They plot a coup at the behest of their charismatic leader in order to remove the ruling party from power, and put their guy in charge. This is not the black people rising up, this is a military coup, as seen in history approximately 80 million times. This is followed by a revolution, where an exiled rightful heir returns at the head of an army, having made unexpected allies

as seen in history 40 million times (with the returning heir angle, it's smaller). This is not anti-black, this is anti-fascist. Also some wildlife groups called it anti-hyena, but feminists don't care about that.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #219
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyo
Also some wildlife groups called it anti-hyena, but feminists don't care about that.
LOL.

Thanks for the reply. I enjoyed reading every bit of it, and I only wish you could have posted it in the blog update from which I took those excerpts back when the update was fresh and the very people who wrote those inane things would have still been F5'ing it.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:15 AM   #220
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I just saw Turtles Forever, the 4Kids + Mirage Studios ode to the TMNT franchise. It was incredibly, ridiculously wicked. The coolest cartoon I've seen in years, surpassing even the best of the Cartoon Network block at its time. It was also funny, so the movie gets bonus points!

First thing, it primarily featured the 1987 TMNT cartoon's cast and the 2003 TMNT's cast. The 1987 series was famous for being comic relief, but when played against the straight men of 2003 they're utterly hilarious. It's mind-bogglingly funny to watch how stupefied the 2003 cast is at the absurdities of the 1987 cartoon and how they bizarrely work thanks to the magic of plothax.

Now imagine what happens if that plothax is taken out of its comedic role and used for serious business. And that's what happens when 1987 Shredder gets the brilliant idea to resuscitate the 2003 Shredder. Chaos and carnage ensue as 2003 Shredder goes on a maniacal rampage, turning the comically inept "Technodrome" fortress of the 1987 Shredder into a miniature Death Star.

I won't spoil the ending. It's suitably epic, and feels like the ending of a long saga. But boy, was this movie a ride. I hadn't seen the 2003 series since like 2004, but it still feels fresh and awesome especially in comparison to today's programming.

My favourite line of the film -

"WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING THAT?? THERE'S NO ONE THERE!!!" - Hun
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #221
Torkoal Stu
This

I saw Scott Pilgrim VS The World today. Loved it.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #222
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Saw Requiem for a Dream and 9 recently.

I really enjoyed Requiem, especially considering my background in addiction psychology (they did it REALLY well), plus the music was awesome.

9 was ok.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #223
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Machete.

"I absolve you of all your sins. Now get the fuck out."

Best line ever.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #224
Emp
Volcano Badge

The Last Exorcist is by far the worst film I have ever seen at the cinema. Please do me a favour and NOT WATCH IT
Old 09-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #225
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Catholic Church tried to exorcise demons from M. Night Shyamalan's body only to discover much to their horror and yours that Shyamalan himself is the root cause of his movies' terribleness?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment