UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Visionary Glade

Old 09-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to gmoyes
Bulbasaur Alex Morgan's Research Papers

In your travels of the land of Fizzy Bubbles, you’ve heard about a trainer who claimed was an expert on non-biological pokemon. Right now, you’ve decided to track him down, either to see if he could prove his claim, to ask him a question that you’ve always wondered, or even just to satisfy your own curiosity. You’ve heard that he was hanging around the library on the Island of Talas so you head there. You arrive at the lobby and ask the librarian behind the main desk if she knew where he was. “Oh, sure,” came the response. “He’ll be up the stairs and to the right. If you can’t find him, he’ll most likely be buried under a mountain of papers.”

You nod your thanks and head up the stairs. Sure enough on the right there was a room containing a desk stacked high with papers and a short, nerdy looking teenager reading some papers. You knock in the doorframe and he snapped his head up. “Huh? You want me for something? What is it?” You introduce yourself and stated the reason why you were there.

He chuckled. “No promises I’ll remember your name. I’m Alex Morgan, nerd extraordinaire.” He pushed his glasses up his nose. “Ah, you’d be looking for my research papers. Sorry for the mess, it’ll be like this until I get a place of my own. Then the mess would move there.” He grinned. “Anyways, I don’t have much written down for public viewing, but you can always come back later.” He waves you over to a bookshelf where there was currently a couple of thin bundles of papers. “Enjoy. If you ever have a topic you want me to research, or even if you have your own research you want to say, just leave me a message. I’ll try to get back to you as soon as I can.”

He went back to his own research while you browse through the material on the shelf.

Studies of Non-Biological Pokémon
Contents
-Introduction
-General Information
-The Magnemite Line
-The Bronzor Line
-The Klink Line
-The Beldum Line
-The Porygon Line
-The Voltorb Line
-The Slugma Line

Autobiography
-Backstory
-Adventures
--Phantom Island Adventure
--Isle of Talas Adventure
--Cortoza Adventure
--Lost City of Alph Campaign
--Arcane Realm Adventure

Theology
-Johtoian
-Sinnohist
-Personal
--Aura

Other
-The Juncture

You also spy a couple empty folders with titles on them and dividers sorting them into subjects.

Other Pokémon Information
-Fossils
-Pokémon Evolution
-Darwinian Evolution

Mechanics
-The Pokéball
-Pokémon Storage System
-The Pokédex

History

Reader Requests

Last edited by gmoyes; 09-09-2013 at 12:13 PM.
gmoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Studies of Non-biological Pokémon

Introduction

Welcome! If you are reading this, which means you’ve got questions about certain types of pokemon that some people don’t understand. Fortunately, here you have found a guide that will show you things that you wouldn’t be able to believe. Things that you wondered about and tips about how to handle your own non-biological pokemon. I have dedicated much time to this project and I hope you enjoy reading through what I have gathered. Please note that all print may be subjected to changes at any time. Now to paraphrase the famous words of Professor Oak; ‘Now go, your journey through the world of non-biological pokemon awaits.’

Last edited by gmoyes; 09-24-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Studies of Non-Biological Pokemon

So what make non-biological pokemon different from other pokemon? The same thing that separates all living and non-living things. Simply, all living things are made of cells while non-living things aren’t. Plants, animals, fungus and bacteria are all made up of cells. So you may ask, then what makes non-living pokemon live? The answer is as varied as the Pokémon. Even how some of these creatures can live can be chalked up to ‘because Mew made them so’. (more on that in theology)

However, there are other characteristics that all living things share other than the fact that they are made of cells. All living things respond to stimuli, can maintain their internal functions, can reproduce and have a lifespan. With a couple of exceptions to be noted in each species’ page, all non-biological pokemon can do all of these things. So technically they are both living and non-living, kind of like the Schrödinger’s Cat that all we scientists enjoy.

There are three main type of non-biological Pokémon and they are as follows:

Mechanical Non-biological
Examples of a mechanical non-biological pokemon would be the species Magnemite and Klink. Most mechanical non-biological pokemon are made mostly out of some sort of metal and operate electronically or magnetically. These are my main focus of my studies.

Non-mechanical Non-biological
Examples of non-mechanical non-biological pokemon would be the species Grimer and Vanilite. Non-mechanical non-biological pokemon are made from a wide assortment of materials, from garbage to lava. These are personally a big question mark for me. I’m unsure of what makes them tick.

Spiritual Non-biological
Examples of spiritual non-biological Pokémon would be the species Baltoy and Golett. This is sort of a gray area because in most cases they are a spirit that inhabits a non-biological body. There are other trainers more familiar with spirits so I hope to get some information from them.

There are some exceptions however. The extremely rare pokemon Deoxys is a space virus that was hit by some sort of radiation. Viruses also fall into the gray area between living and non-living. I would also like to note that many rock types are living creatures, they simply have a rocky shell.

Previous Page
Next Page

Last edited by gmoyes; 09-24-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Phantom Island Adventure

You look stunned as you look through the sheets of paper. Did this seriously belong in the autobiography section? It was completely unbelievable. You turn to the trainer and call him out for it. "Ah, yes," Alex says with a grimace. "Man that was a seriously messed up adventure. Even I have problems believing it. I mean, I've always had a thing for Porygon but never in my life did I think I would be one. But even then, in it I have pieces of information that are astounding. Like see here:" He grabs the stack of papers from you and points out the second page. "That is real insight right there. Now that I think about it, it just goes to show that in the face of death you can be surprised at what comes out of your mouth. Pretty much all of that is in my theology section." He eyed the empty spot on the shelf. "Or will be. And I should get around to typing up the rest of my adventure, but motivation comes and goes." He sadly looked at the pile and sighed. "I'll never look at a videogame the same way again." He hands back the papers and goes back to sorting through the mess on the desk.

Last edited by gmoyes; 01-21-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Isle of Talas Adventure

"Ah, you've found my fossil adventure," came a voice over your shoulder. You give a little jump and look up in surprise. There stood Alex looking a little flustered. "Sorry about that. It's just that this particular adventure took place relatively closeby. While I know I said my Phantom Isle was the creepiest, the single moment I was the most terrified was when I was almost run down by that Rampardos. Still, it was fun learning about the fossil pokemon and taking part in the tournement." You ask how well he did in the tournement and what was the grand prize. "You'll find out on your own once I finish writing it. It was valuable for my research on fossil pokemon and pokemon cloning." He glanced at the empty 'Other Pokemon Information' folder. He sighed. "I have my work cut out for me, don't I?" With that he leaves you to carry on looking through his collection.

Previous Page

Last edited by gmoyes; 11-13-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Cortoza Adventure

You read through what consisted of the story so far and you were conserned about what Alex put his pokemon through in order to explore the cavern. That place must have been hot enough kill within minutes. No way any responsible trainer would let their pokemon in there. You grab the attention of the young scholar and point it out. "Ah yes. I am well aware of my capabilities my pokemon. The biggest danger of this type heat is dehydration and being cooked. They have no water in their systems to evaporate and if anything they would melt, not bake. And short of taking an actual bath in the lava, that wouldn't happen. Come on, any pokemon can take a point blank Flamethrower and keep on swinging. Give some credit to pokemon suvivablity huh?" He grinned. "Hmm, maybe I should put some of that in my General Info section..." He shrugged and pulled a pencil out of his pocket and started writing notes. You give him an unsure look, but you continue to browze the selection.

Previous Page

Last edited by gmoyes; 05-09-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

The Magnemite Line

Oh boy, if mechanical non-biological pokemon are my area of expertise then the Magnemite line is my pinnacle of expertise. My very own Magnemite, Theta, was my very first Pokémon. Ever since then I have been uncovering some secrets about the species and Theta has always stood by my side. Figuratively of course.

Species Name: Magnemite
Entomology: The Magnet Pokémon
Typing: Electric, Electric/Steel (see history)
Height: 1 foot or 0.3 metres
Weight: 13.2 pounds or 6 kg
Special Abilities: Sturdy, Magnet Pull, Analytic
Evolution: Evolves into Magneton, then Magnezone.

Species Name: Magneton
Entomology: The Magnet Pokémon
Typing: Electric, Electric/Steel (see history)
Height: 3’ feet 3” inches or 1 metre (if measured with each Magnemite on top of each other)
Weight: 132.3 pounds or 60 kg (have not of yet discovered why the mass is tripled, yet weight goes up tenfold)
Evolution: Evolves from Magnemite, evolves into Magnezone

Species Name: Magnezone
Entomology: The Magnet Area Pokémon
Typing: Electric/Steel
Height: 3’ feet 11” inches or 1.2 metres
Weight: 396.8 pounds or 180 kg
Evolution: Evolves from Magnemite which evolves from Magneton

Area Found: Magnemites are usually found near sources of electricity with power plants attracting them in swarms. They can be found in cities, but places like the Kanto Power Plant and New Mauville in Hoenn are where you’ll find the most. There is also a rather healthy population in the Virbank Complex in Unova. Magnetons are found wherever their pre-evolutions are, though of course in far less numbers. Magnezones on the other hand a practically never found in the wild. They only evolve in places that emit a lot of natural magnetic energy like Mt. Cornet in Sinnoh and Chargestone Cave in Unova. These are usually a far distance away were they normally live and many times they can only get there with aid of a trainer.

Physical Makeup: A Magnemite is composed of a main stainless steel body with two U-shaped iron magnets on their sides. Their eye is actually a camera lens which is why they have a photographic memory. They literally take photographs. Their magnets and screws aren’t physically attached to the main body allowing them free movement.

History: Magnemites were first discovered at the Kanto Power Plant, along with their evolution, Magneton. No one really knows how they got there. They were catalogued and were deemed an official species soon after. This was before the steel type was recognized as an official type so they were classified as electric types. With the addition of the steel type years later, they were reclassified as Electric/Steel types.

For years, no one knew that Magneton had a potential evolved form. Magnemite were native to Kanto, a far distance to Sinnoh or Unova where their evolution areas were. It probably came as a shock when the first trainer to discover this. Since then the Magnemite line has become a signature pokemon for scientists such as yours truly. Some scientists believe that there might be another potential evolution for Magnezone, though there has been no success.

Behaviour: Magnemite have a habit of forming swarms when their territory is threatened. If you encounter a swarm of Magnemite, leave it be. It’s much easier to handle battling a solo Magnemite. Magnemite have a literal photographic memory and communicate with other members of their species through radio waves. This makes them highly organized when the need arises. Single Magnemite follows under the orders of Magneton, and though rare, Magneton follows order from Magnezone. Fortunately while they are territorial, they aren’t aggressive.

The most interesting thing about Magnemite behaviour is their evolution. Magnemite come in three variations corresponding to their special ability, A variant being Sturdy, B variant being Magnet Pull and C being Analytic. A variants are the most common type and are known for producing an access of electricity and being able to take hits better than the other variants. They are the type some people use to produce power. B variants are much rarer and have great control over their magnetic powers, though at a cost of not producing a lot of energy. My Theta is a B variant and its powers have been useful many times. C variants are extremely rare and while being slower than the other types, they are much stronger and the net electricity output of zero.

Normally when Magnemite evolve they produce two identical clones of itself to form the Magneton. However every eleven years, Magnemite from all over gather in one place to combine and evolve. I am unsure of the specifics, but from what I’ve found, it seems to be some sort of ritual. I guess seeing as the reproduce in an abiotic manner this is as much as a mating ceremony as you can get with the species. It makes sense; each Magnemite has to choose two others to spend the rest of their life together. There are a few factors in this. First of all, B variants are dominant Magnemite and there is rarely two or even three B’s in one Magneton and even if there were it would never evolve into a Magnezone. The Magnemite would never settle on who would be the core unit of the Magnezone. It also comes up with an issue that with two or three B variants, the energy needed to sustain itself would be more than it could produce on its own. A variants are the generators that provide the core unit with energy. The vast majority of Magneton are either ABA or AAA in their makeup. C variants can fit in anywhere in the Magneton seeing as their net energy produced is zero, so they are either in ACA or ABC format. The overall special ability of the Magneton is the one that belongs to the Magnemite at the core of the trio. My personal opinion is that Magnemite who evolve in this fashion are stronger than those who just evolve by cloning itself, due to the fact that each Magnemite adds to the trio their own strengths, instead of the strengths of one multiplied by three.

Reproduction: Magnemite reproduce the same way they evolve normally. When they evolve normally they produce clones of themselves. The way they reproduce is no different. Once strong enough and provided with enough energy, Magneton and Magnezone make a Magnemite offspring. This means all Magnemite are identical to their ancestor. In reproduction, A variants are dominate and B variants recessive, while C variant are even more recessive. AAA Magneton and Magnezone can only have A variant offspring while ABA have a chance of producing a B variant.

Lifespan: Practically unlimited, provided that they don’t run out of energy or sustain a fatal injury. There has never been a reported case of a member of the Magnemite line dying due to old age. Of course, the species is relatively new so this may prove to be wrong.

Training Tips: If you aim to capture a Magnemite, it is best if you go with someone who knows the area and the Magnemite are familiar with. This would prevent the Magnemite from perceiving you as a threat to their territory and swarming. Go for solitary Magnemite, not swarms or Magneton because they may overwhelm you in numbers. Be aware of their electric attacks, paralyzing opponents is the main focus of their combat. Also, while they carry a bunch of resistances, a single strong ground attack may knock it out in one blow.

Magnemite need little in the lines of maintenance other than an occasional polish or a supply of spare electricity if you have a B variant. If your Magnemite takes serious damage in a battle, take it to a Pokémon Center as soon as you can. Potions can only do so much and berries are next to useless. Scratches and dents that linger should be checked out.

Notes:
-If a Magnemite seems to be following your electric typed Pokémon it’s because of the excess electricity it produces. Do not be worried, it’s just a B variant getting electricity from a new source. It will not drain too much to worry about.

-The Magnemite line is known competitively for its great resistances, its levitation and its ability to trap opposing steel types. Their main downfall is being rather slow and having the curse that befalls many non-biological Pokémon, a shallow move pool.

-At first, Magnemite may seem like mindless drones, but they have just as much personality as any other Pokémon. Much of this is because of the hive-mind-like community. Take them out of the community and they become great partners.

Previous Page

Last edited by gmoyes; 03-26-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

The Bronzor Line

My very own Bronzor, Echo, was the very first Pokémon I gained here. While different in many ways from Theta, the two have been great partners. The Bronzor line is odd because while they are completely metal, they have characteristics of spiritual non-biological Pokémon.

Species Name: Bronzor
Entomology: The Bronze Pokemon
Typing: Steel/Psychic
Height: 1 foot 8 inches or 0.5 metres
Weight: 133.4 lb. or 60.5 kg
Special Abilities: Levitate, Heat Proof, Heavy Metal
Evolution: Evolves in Bronzong

Species: Bronzong
Entomology: The Bronze Bell Pokémon
Height: 4 feet 3 inches or 1.3 metres
Weight: 412.3 lb. or 187.0 kg
Special Abilities: Levitate, Heat Proof, Heavy Metal
Evolution: Evolves from Bronzor

Areas Found: Bronzor and Bronzong are primarily found in or near Mt. Cornet in the Sinnoh region. There is also a healthy population near the Fertility Shrine in Unova. Mt. Cornet is not just a major source of magnetic energy, but spiritual as well due to Spear Pillar’s connection to the legendary Pokémon. The population in the Fertility Shrine is due to the spiritual energy produced by Landorus and people bringing the species from Sinnoh due to the myth that Bronzong bring luck to the crops that which they tend.

Physical Make-up: As their name suggest, both Bronzor and Bronzong are primarily made of bronze, however some species are made of a denser metal that makes them about twice as heavy, which are those who have the special ability Heavy Metal. Others have a resistance to fire typed attack at a cost of being less agile in their levitation which shows the difference between those with the special ability Levitate and Heat Proof.

Bronzor take the shape of an old fashioned mirror and Bronzong, an old fashioned bell. Because they lack mechanical parts they use spiritual energy, as opposed to magnetic energy like Magnemite. They use this spiritual energy as fuel and propulsion.

History: Bronzor and Bronzong are an old species relative to other non-biological species. Reports of the species date back almost 2000 years. Some have been buried in ruins on the slopes of Mt. Cornet for a thousand years and awaken as if nothing happened. The majority of these older species are made of an older, heavier metal which gives them the ability Heavy Metal. The first Bronzor appeared in the Unova region a couple hundred years ago.

Behaviour: Bronzor and Bronzong are a solitary species. They are drawn to old spiritual centres. They are often thought of as sentries for the area, protecting and watching over the area. They are also said to bring fertility to the plants that live in the area. Some theories say that they are able to control the weather. I’m sure that they are able to learn Rain Dance and Sunny Day, though that is only for small areas of land.

Bronzor show a larger range of emotion than a majority of non-biological pokemon. They show amazing loyalty. My Echo even once sacrificed itself to protect Theta from a wild Arcanine. It’s somewhat astounding really. Sometimes I wonder if I focus way too much on the science instead of getting to really know my Pokémon.

Bronzong have been shown to have slight telepathic abilities, though for the most part, they remain quiet.

Reproduction: I’m actually not sure about this. A spirit inhabits a non-living body, so there are two different parts they need, a body and a spirit. The most likely case is that some spirits are easily attached to the bronze. This might mean that most Bronzor and Bronzong were normal mirrors and bells before they were taken over by spirit. So that may mean that without new mirrors or bells, no new Bronzor or Bronzong may be produced. But then again, not all bronze mirrors or bell are inhabited by a spirit. The first one that comes to mind is the bell at the top of Celestial Tower in Unova. But even then, the bell is said to have a great connection with the sprits that live in the tower. I have no clue how to get a spirit attached to a mirror, you’re better off asking someone who is familiar with them.

Lifespan: There have been no reported cases of a Bronzor or Bronzong dying. That can remain dormant for centuries, drawing from spiritual energy around them. Even if they sustain a major injury, they remain pretty much unaffected by cracks or chip in their body.

Training Tips: Bronzor aren’t aggressive so there isn't much danger if you want to capture one. They are more inclined to defend themselves than go on the attack. Just be aware of Reflects and Light Screens, it may become difficult to get through.

They require no food, getting all they need from the spiritual energy around them. If they take major damage, they can take it, but bring them to a Pokémon Centre as soon as possible. They greatly appreciate a good polish especially in their Bronzor stage. What good is a mirror if it doesn’t reflect light? Though personally, it make me think of them as a little vain, but they are reliable anyway.

Notes:
-A Bronzor with the ability Heat Proof practically has no weaknesses, being neutral to fire attack and being immune to the majority of ground attach due to it levitating. However, projectile ground attacks such as Mud Bomb are still super effective.
-Bronzor are heavier than they look.
-Bronzong are very effective at area altering moves. If you are wondering what’s going on with the physics when you are fighting one, this is why.

Previous Page

Last edited by gmoyes; 11-17-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Lost City of Alph Campaign

You read through the notes and wondered about the mysteries associated about the Unown. You call out to the researcher and pose your question. “Ah yes, this took place a little I started my collection here. The Unown fascinate me as well. I have a copy of Professor Hale’s notes from the expedition. Somewhere…” He eyed the large stack of papers. “Anyways, I’ll eventually have my own report on the Unown, as well as the significance of their signature move Hidden Power.” He pushed his glasses up his nose. “I may be an expert on non-biological things, but I’m also a fan of spirituality. The Unown play a key part in this, but for you to find out, you’re going to have to read the report.” He winked. “But anyways, I have to continue my research. Talk with you later.” He then sat down at the desk and started writing and you turn back to the shelf.

Pervious Page

Last edited by gmoyes; 03-30-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Aura

People sometimes wonder what an expert on non-biological Pokémon is doing with research on spirituality. People can be interested in more than one subject but both of my interests are related. Aura is something that lives within all living things. But then how does one explain the presence of Aura in non-biological Pokémon? This is a very interesting question which I plan on finding out. But first, some information.

What is Aura?

Aura is a type of energy that exists in all living things. It is invisible to the majority of people, Aura Guardians and Pokémon like Lucario and some psychic types being the exceptions. Aura is a mysterious force that can be shaped to be used for attacks such as Aura Sphere and Hidden Power or manipulated by psychic types for telekinesis and the like. While being mainly invisible, most people can sense it without realizing it. That feeling of you being watched is your Aura interacting with the Aura of the person focusing on you. There are many examples of mediums and psychics using Aura to detect things. Everyone has their own unique Aura and over time that Aura may change.

What does Aura look like?

I have only heard from second hand accounts, but most sources describe it as fire that surrounds every living thing and this fire reaches out and interacts with other Auras. What is interesting is that everyone’s Aura is a different colour, depending on how they follow the three spiritual aspects.

Three Spiritual Aspects?

Any Sinnohist can name them off by heart. They are the three things the Legendary Trio Uxie, Azelf and Mesprit represent. Namely, knowledge, willpower and emotion respectively. Depending on what proportions someone follows each aspect, their colour changes.

For example?

Each aspect is represented by a color, knowledge is yellow, willpower is blue and emotion is pink. Someone who dominantly focuses on only one of these aspects will have and Aura that matches it. The colours blend together to create a colour that represents them. A green spirit represents someone who follows both knowledge and willpower whereas someone who is about equal in all three will have more of a brown colour.

Also the brightness and size of the Aura correspond to how well connected they are with their spirit. Cliché ‘evil people’ have darker Auras than so call ‘good guys’. So there are two factors that determine the colour of your aura, which aspects you follow as well as your connectedness to your Aura.

You said Auras can change. How does that work?

From what I have researched, everything is born grey in spirit. Grey is the colour of neutrality and innocence. It’s only after they grow and become their own person that they get their own colour. Sometimes an Aura changes slightly over time, but after a life changing event it may experience a sudden jump in colour. There have also been cases of sparks of colour flaring through an Aura. These can be referred to as sparks of inspiration, rage, excitement or some other feeling like that depending on the colour. These sparks are temporary, but give a boost to the Aura while they last. It is rumored that Uxie, Azelf and Mesprit are able to give these sparks to people, but this is mostly speculation.

Do Pokémon have Aura too?

Of course! All living things do. What is interesting is that people can tell what colour a Pokémon’s Aura is by what type their Hidden Power is. Each type matches with a certain colour. Here’s a rundown of the corresponding types and colours. Mind you, I’m no expert on personality types so some of these may be incorrect.

Normal: Grey
The colour of innocence and neutrality. A rare colour, yet it exists none of the less. It fits with the general innocence of many normal types.
Fire: Orange/Red
The colour of passion and recklessness. Certainly fits with the fire type, though with a touch of intelligence.
Water: Blue
The colour of coolness and steadfastness. An image of an old sea captain braving a storm explains this comparison.
Electric: Yellow
The colour of intelligence and insight. This one is a bit odd, but all thinking is electrical impulses going through the brain.
Grass: Green
The colour of peace and organization. Many people with this Aura make good leaders. The grass type is all about calmly growing.
Ice: Blue/White
The colour of clarity and silence. Ice types usually display and air of disconnection, but that is because they can see what matters.
Fighting: Burgundy
The colour of drive and bravery. Fighting types will plow right through anything in their way and they have their feeling to back them up.
Poison: Purple
The colour of loyalty and slyness. Again, a bit odd, but purple is also associated with royalty. Poison types will always stand next to their trainer.
Ground: Tan
The colour of wisdom and sturdiness. Mainly focused around knowledge, but also knows that other things matter.
Flying: Lavender
The colour of hope and freedom. Just look at a bird flying and tell me that doesn’t represent freedom.
Psychic: Pink
The colour of emotion and impulse. I know people would usually associate this with knowledge, but psychic energy is mainly driven by emotions.
Bug: Green/Yellow
The colour of patience and persistence. Bugs are certainly smart enough to build webs and pursue their target.
Rock: Brown
The colour of blending and balance. A great majority of people are this, having connection with each of the aspects, but not all of them together.
Ghost: Navy Blue
The colour of tricksters and mystery. Ghost types enjoy messing with people and pursue their next victim relentlessly.
Dragon: Cyan
The colour of determination and power. Dragons have always struck at the heart of people by symbolizing strength.
Dark: Black
The colour of darkness and unknown. Actually, dark type Aura isn’t black, its colour is invisible to everything, including psychic types. This is why psychic types can’t affect dark types much.
Steel: Silver
The colour of union and purity. An extremely rare colour and symbolizes an almost pure spirit with an equal mix of aspects and a close connection with them.

Wait a minute! My Pokémon is X and has a Hidden Power of Y!

Every Pokémon has their own personality so each as their own Aura. My own Magnemite has a Hidden Power of grass. The Hidden Power of each Pokémon reflects their personality. A Pokémon that love pulling pranks on people might have a ghost typed Hidden Power. An ancient, wise Pokémon may have a ground typed one. It all depends on the Pokémon. Theoretically, a Pokémon’s Hidden Power might change type if the Pokémon has a drastic change in their Aura, but there aren’t any reports of this happening.

So what use is this information?

It can help you figure out what type of Hidden Power your Pokémon has just by personality. However, if you know the colour of someone’s Aura, it can tell you a lot about that person. You may even learn about yourself if you know your own Aura. Spirit is one of the things in life that we have very little knowledge on. I hope that with this you may learn more about that world in which we live in.

Previous Page
Next Page
Back to Shelf
Old 11-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

The Klink Line

Klink are in many ways similar to Magnemite, though there are some key differences. My own Klink, Kilo, is a strong battler and very passionate about speed. They are rather one track minded, but are very dependable once you are familiar with them.

Species Name: Klink
Entomology: The Gear Pokémon
Typing: Steel
Height: 1 foot or 0.3 metres (diameter of one minigear)
Weight: 46.3 lb. or 21 kg
Special Abilities: Plus, Minus, Clear Body
Evolutions: Evolves into Klang and then into Klinklang

Species Name: Klang
Height: 2 feet or 0.6 metres (diameter of large gear)
Weight: 112.4 lb. or 51 kg
Evolutions: Evolves from Klink and into Klinklang

Species Name: Klinklang
Height: 2 feet or 0.6 metres (again, diameter of large gear)
Weight: 178.6 lb. or 81 kg
Evolution: Evolves from Klang which evolves from Klink

Areas Found: Klink and its evolution are only found in Chargestone Cave in the Unova region. While there have been some reports of them existing somewhere else before they lived there, but today they solely live in the cave. They take their energy from the high magnetic energy within the cavern.

Physical Makeup: The Klink line is primarily made of iron. All Klink are made up of two minigears, each with its own personality. Every Klink is composed of a positive charged minigear and a negative charged minigear. The two stay together because of the fundamental law that opposites attract. The only real difference between the two is the direction they turn, positives clockwise, negatives counter clockwise. Klink produce electricity by using the energy used by spinning.

When Klink evolve into Klang, it has an important decision to make: which gear becomes the ‘head’ of the Klang, and which one will become the ‘body’ of the Klang and lose its sight forever. Depending on whichever one becomes the body, the Klang’s special ability becomes either Plus or Minus. However, there have been reports of some Klang that has lost their charge and some of their emotions rendering them unaffected by moves that intimidate or make them underestimate their opponent. This ability is called Clear Body.

When Klang evolve into Klinklang they gain a generator gear and a ring that helps them channel their electricity. This makes Klinklang much more skilled with electric attacks than their pre-evolved forms. However, they are less familiar with electric attacks than most electric typed Pokémon.

History: Klink and its evolution have been recorded to live in Chargestone Cave for the last hundred years, though there have been reports of them existing before they lived there. With Porygon being created 15 years ago and Voltorb and Magnemite being discovered 40-50 years ago at most makes Klink the oldest mechanical non-biological Pokémon without counting the Regi Trio who may have been around for thousands of years. They aren’t as widespread as the Magnemite line, usually found in the Unova region.

Behaviour: I’ve already explained about how Klink comes in positive/negative pair and that they must choose which gear becomes the head and the body. Besides the pairing of the gears, the Klink line doesn’t have much social structure. However, in times of need a bunch of Klink can join together to form a wall of gears and to share each other’s electricity. It is possible for a Klang to join up with another Klink or Klang, though there aren’t many places for the gears to mesh correctly. Klinklang could probably link up with a Klink, but it would be more difficult and very rare.

Lifespan: Unlike other non-biological Pokémon, there have been a few cases of Klink dying. A major reason for this is because the Klink line is more prone to rusting than the Magnemite line. If it rusts too much its gears will lock up and it won’t be able to produce enough energy to sustain itself. Trainer owned Klink don’t suffer from this problem however due to the pokeballs not allowing rust to form.

Training Tips: Klink are easy to find and battle in Chargestone Cave. However, the terrain of the cave is dangerous and there are many other Pokémon who live there. You may end up walking into a Galvantula web if you’re not careful. Klink mainly attack through trying to trap things between their gears, though paralysis can be a problem.

Klink desire a reliable source of electricity because they aren’t very efficient in producing their own electricity. This may cause some difficulties, but it’s not too much to handle. Also if anything gets caught between the gears, try to remove it as soon as possible. Trying to get a Klink to turn in the opposite direction is like trying to get a Gyarados to become a vegetarian. It just doesn’t work. Try to keep them away from water; they are rather prone to rust. Cracks and dents that linger should be checked out.

Notes:

-Klink’s steel typing gives it many resistances, though they get one of the shallowest move pools. But their claim to fame is Shift Gear which boosts their speed and attack.

-Oddly enough, when Klink evolve the gear that becomes the body turns backward to attach to the bigger gear. This means it now turns in the opposite direction it originally did.

-The hole on the face of the gear is not a mouth. Do not try putting anything in it.

Previous Page

Last edited by gmoyes; 11-27-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

The Beldum Line

Beldum is a very odd Pokémon. While it is non-biological, it doesn’t really fit into the three categories of non-biological Pokémon. It is made primarily out of metal so it’s not non-mechanical non-biological. Metagross is an avid predator so that doesn’t fit with mechanical or spiritual since they get energy by other means. They are brutal fighters as my own Beldum, Bravo, can prove.

Species Name: Beldum
Entomology: The Iron Ball Pokémon
Height: 2 feet or 0.6 metres
Weight: 209.9 lb. or 95.2 kg
Special Abilities: Clear Body, Light Metal
Evolution: Evolves into Metang and then into Metagross

Species Name: Metang
Entomology: The Iron Claw Pokémon
Height: 3 feet 11 inches or 1.2 meters
Weight: 446.4 lb. or 202.5 kg
Evolution: Evolves from Beldum and into Metagross

Species Name: Metagross
Entomology: The Iron Leg Pokémon
Height: 5 feet 3 inches or 1.6 metres
Weight: 1212.5 lb. or 550.0 kg
Evolution: Evolves from Metang which evolves from Beldum

Areas Found: The Beldum line is very rare in the wild; the only known major wild population is in Giant Chasm in Unova, even then it’s Metang that live there with the extremely rare Metagross. The Giant Chasm is perhaps the only place that is secluded enough and the wild Pokémon strong enough to handle them.

Physical Make-up: The Beldum line is primarily made up of iron. One of the things that makes the Beldum line unique is that they consume prey to produce energy instead of electricity like the Magnemite line or spiritual energy like the Bronzor. This raises the question of why a non-biological Pokémon requires biological fuel. The answer is this: while the Beldum line has metal bodies, they have a biological brain. This makes them Pokémon cyborgs. Some people would argue that this description also fits Pokémon like Steelix, but those Pokémon still have biological processes. When Metagross eats, the nutrients go toward developing the brain while the energy goes to the body.

When Beldum and Metang evolve, the process is similar to how Magnemite evolve. They either fuse together with another of their species or store up enough energy to evolve without needing another member of their species. While combining with other members works with Magnemite, because the Beldum line is much rarer combining evolution is much rarer. Some rare species of Beldum are made of a different alloy of metal which make them much lighter than other members of the species.

History: The very first report of the Beldum line is hundreds of years ago in the Ranse region. This is very old for a non-biological Pokémon. With the unique make-up of the Bedum line it is extremely unlikely that they were formed naturally. So where did they come from? My personal theory is that they are extraterrestrials. They are a seemingly unstoppable combination: strength, psychic powers, a steel body, super intelligence and a brutal personality. They seem like the perfect troops for invasion. However with our world filled with creature that could match and even surpass that power, they were suppressed. There isn’t much to back up this theory, it’s just something I’ve thought of.

Now a days, Metagross is a Pokémon that is symbolic of being a powerful trainer. Some of the most notable trainers who own a Metagross are Unova Elite Four member Catlin and Ex-Hoenn Champion Steven Stone.

Behaviour: The Beldum line is known for being aggressive. They know they have strong powers and aren’t afraid to show them off. Besides this, they may show little emotion, though this may be because of their special ability Clear Body which makes them immune to intimidation and charm. Be cautious when they evolve, because if they haven’t learned to respect their trainer they can get very unruly. There have been quite a few cases of trainers getting injured by their newly evolved Metang. A Metagross’s main hunting strategy is to locate prey with its psychic powers and then pin it down with its massive body.

The Beldum line is also extremely intelligent, once you get past the drive for strength that is. They are very calculating and paired with the power they have, they can be one of the most dangerous Pokémon to face off with.

Lifespan: The Beldum line has a lifespan of about 80-120 years. When Metagross get very old, sometimes their brain starts to break down. This is very dangerous as it may cause memory loss and mood swings which may cause it to lash out at anything. Most end up self-terminating once it gets to be too much.

Training Tips: Never try to catch a wild Metagross, you might not live to tell the tale. Metang are rather dangerous as well. It is best to catch a Beldum, but as a warning, they are notoriously hard to catch. If you do try to catch one, bring plenty of pokeballs, especially Timer Balls. It will probably end up as a marathon battle and chances are you’re more likely to knock it out or be knocked out yourself than it is to catch one. A much easier alternative is to buy one at the store, though you either need a ton of money or make friends with someone who does. I thank you for that Yuki!

The most important thing a trainer can do for their Beldum is to make sure it knows you’re in charge and to make sure it doesn’t get bored. A bored Beldum will pick fights with anyone it can. An in-team rival can help relieve this. My own Beldum and Klink have a rivalry of their own, though once Bravo evolves Kilo will have a hard time matching that power.

Notes:

-Beldum can only know a couple of moves, but once it evolves it will be one of the strongest non-biological Pokémon. It’s typing only gives it weaknesses to Fire and Ground and the fact that it can levitate helps out its ground weakness. It also has great resistances and their Meteor Mash can hit anything for strong damage.

-Their psychic powers are strong once they evolve and can learn telepathy.

-Don’t play chess with your Beldum, you’ll get your rear kicked.

Previous Page

Last edited by gmoyes; 03-27-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

The Pokeball

Pokeball is a vital piece of equipment for any Pokémon trainer, yet most have no clue how one works. It’s a miracle of modern science, yet its basis is ancient. Here I’ll walk you through the mechanics of the pokeball as well as the history, but first here’s some information on the pokeball as a symbol.

The Pokeball as a Symbol

The pokeball is the official symbol of the Pokémon League as well as anything Pokémon in general. It is a symbol used worldwide. It is recognizable to everyone and is everywhere from clothing for trainers to designs in arenas. So why is the pokeball the symbol of Pokémon? The most obvious thing is the fact that every trainer uses them, as well as that they are named after them. But as you go into history of the pokeball, you realize that there is a deeper connection than that.

The History of the Pokeball

The very first pokeballs were made from apricorns over 300 years ago, but as a symbol it has appeared a lot earlier. The clothing of the warlords of the Ranse region was decorated by pokeball symbols, yet the actual pokeball wouldn’t be invented for another couple hundred years. The Pokémon Foongus is much older than that and they have the pokeball symbol as part of their body. Some people assume that Foongus evolved because people would encounter them thinking they were pokeballs so they would have a larger chance of surviving under the care of a trainer. But how could this be when Foongus appeared thousands of years before the very first pokeball? This is a question that has stumped many scientists.

The first pokeballs were made out of hollowed out apricorns. Up until 50-60 years ago there was no way of creating a synthetic pokeball. The very first modern day pokeball was created by Silph Co. and soon after the trainer market exploded due to the slow growth rate of apricorns no longer restricting the amount of pokeballs produced. Now there is a wide range of pokeballs each with different uses. But they all stem from the same basic system.

The Mechanics of the Pokeball

When you look at the mechanics of a pokeball, the first thing you need to look at is their capability to turn mass into energy and information. Pokémon have the natural capability to turn energy into mass and vice versa when evolving and using certain attacks and while the physics aren’t fully understood, apricorns use that ability and use it store them in a natural occurring silicone matrix. Modern pokeballs use the exact same process.

When first capturing a Pokémon, pokeballs take a few seconds to safely covert the Pokémon into energy and analyze it. If the Pokémon is strong enough, it can halt this process and escape. Once captured, releasing and recalling a Pokémon becomes a split second thing. Pokedexs can also scan a Pokémon within a pokeball to reveal more about a Pokémon than if it was simply scanned outside of a pokeball. Of course, this only works on Pokémon you actually own.

Pokeballs are simple to operate. When you first purchase one, it is in a shrunken state for easy transportation. You simply press the button on the front to enlarge it to standard size. Press the button again to shrink it down again. To release the Pokémon within one or to attempt to catch a Pokémon, you simply throw it. The sensors within it react to the jolt and activate the release/catch mechanism. This only activates when the pokeball is standard size so you won’t have Pokémon popping out if you drop it accidentally. If you press the button while the Pokémon is outside the pokeball, it will release a beam which when it makes contact with the Pokémon, it will convert it back into energy and bring it back into the pokeball.

When captured, the Pokémon’s DNA is coded to the pokeball, making the pokeball unable to capture another Pokémon until the current one is released. Also the Pokémon is given an electronic signature which means only the pokeball it is currently captured in can work on it. However, there is a device that was made in the Orre region that overrides this programming allowing a pokeball to catch a Pokémon that is already caught by another pokeball. Fortunately only a couple of these devices exist and are secluded to the Orre region.

There are stories of pokeballs being able to catch items, but these are urban myths. Items don’t have the natural ability to convert to energy so they can’t be caught by pokeballs. Storing them in your PC is a completely different matter which I’ll touch on when I write about them.

Theories

Why is the pokeball tied so much to Pokémon? It’s been used as a symbol before pokeballs even existed. Why is this? What is the story behind Foongus’ appearance? What purpose were apricorns before they were converted into pokeballs? Why can Pokémon be caught at all? These are questions that are hard to answer.

Here are some theories of mine. The main one is that at some sort of fundamental level, the symbol of the pokeball is connected to Pokémon on a spiritual level. What this implies is perhaps that Pokémon were always meant to be captured. This is a somewhat radical theory and Team Plasma would love to disagree, but the facts support it. One little sub theory I have for this is that when you have some Pokémon with the ability to travel through time, things could be set up. Of course weird time shit is a whole different matter. But implementing the things needed for Pokémon to be able to be caught technically could be done by the Legendaries for some reason. I’ll probably touch more on this in theology.

I also have some theories about how this connects to the Pokémon Voltorb, but I’ll talk about them when I do my write up about the species.

Final Words

To many, the pokeball boarders on magic and in some ways it is. And it is also a tool that no trainers could do without.

Notes
-The programming of the pokeball is a closely guarded secret due to the fact that if you mess with it, you could potentially fatally injure a Pokémon contained within one.

- There are cases of Pokémon being able to escape from pokeballs on their own, though these are usually due to that they willingly captured themselves. It’s an interesting feature that willing partners can come out whenever they want, but those who fought have to be released by their trainer.

-If there is a major flaw in a pokeball, such as an incomplete capture or it sustains a bad damage, it will immediately self-destruct and release the Pokémon within.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

The Porygon Line

Porygon has always been a dream Pokémon for me, though if you’ve read my Phantom Island story, that dream was a nightmare for a while. Still, my dream was eventually fulfilled. I traded a lot for Glitch and it has been a great member of my team.

Species Name: Porygon
Entomology: The Virtual Pokémon
Type: Normal
Height: 2 feet 7 inches or 0.8 meters
Weight: 80.5 lb, 36.5 kg
Special Abilities: Trace, Download, Analytic
Evolution: Evolves into Porygon 2 and then Porygon Z

Species Name: Porygon 2
Height: 2 feet or 0.6 meters
Weight: 71.6 lb, or 32.5 kg
Special Abilities: Trace, Download, Analytic
Evolution: Evolve from Porygon, evolves into Porygon Z

Species Name: Porygon Z
Height: 2 feet 11 inches or 0.9 meters
Weight: 75.0 lb or 34.0 kg
Special Abilities: Adaptability, Download, Analytic
Evolution: Evolves from Porygon 2 which evolves from Porygon

Area Found: Porygon aren’t found in the wild. They are produced by Silph co. and the only way to get one is to buy it from them. They are commonly gained through gambling operations, though they cost a fair bit. I’m not a gambling man, my time is much well spent on my research. I was lucky to get my Porygon when I did.

Physical Make-up: Porygon has quite interesting make-up. They are completely made out of computer code. This allows them to enter computers at will. Though this begs the question, what gives them mass? To put it simply, it is the mechanics of the pokeball put in reverse. I’ll go more into that in history.

All three members of the line are composed of 5 parts, a head, a body 2 arms and a tail all separate from each other. When a Porygon evolves, all that happens is that it gains new programming. Downloading the Upgrade evolves it into Porygon 2, which is much more streamlined than its predecessor, and from that using the Dubious Disk gives it a smarter AI. While technically the Porygon line could be programmed to have as many evolutions and variations as the programmer wants, the code of the Porygons has been locked down. Probably a good move, there is too much potential to cause harm.

History: Porygon was first created almost 20 years ago by Silph co. and since then they have produced two evolutions of it. Porygon was created in a massive feat of using pokeball technology to turn information and energy into mass. The fact that they ended up making an actual Pokémon is astounding. It must have taken years to do that. I think it’s a good thing that only Silph co. has the equipment to produce Porygon, or else people would take advantage of technically being able to make something out of nothing. Team Rocket all those years ago struck the technological gold mine when they took over Silph co. headquarters. I shudder to think what would happen if they put that technology to use.

Behaviour: Porygon were programmed to learn and adapt. With its moves Conversion and Conversion 2 to change its type, special abilities to take advantage of its opponent and a wide range of moves, a Porygon can face any situation. Each Porygon has a different style of using these. A Porygon with the ability Trace learns and adapts by mimicking whatever special ability the opponent has, while one with the special ability Download analyzes its opponent and sees if it takes more damage from physical or special attacks and adjusts its stats accordingly. The rare Porygon with the ability Analytic is slightly slower, but by analyzing more, it attacks harder.

When it comes to personality, Porygon and Porygon 2 don’t have much. They are much more at home in computers than outside. This makes them valuable to hackers and programmers, though I’m not much of either. They are, unfortunately, skilled at virtual pranks. If you see you’re inbox filling up with spam, you can probably figure out what’s wrong.

What’s really interesting is when Porygon evolves into its final stage. Physically there isn’t much difference, it just changes its pose. But the biggest difference is its intelligence. So much so, there have been cases of a Porygon Z being too smart. I guess the program isn’t called the ‘Dubious Disk’ for nothing. Even Silph co. doesn’t really support it. Many trainers see this step in intelligence too much to handle and leave their Porygon in the Porygon 2 stage. I too have held off on evolving Glitch, though some of that is due to the fact that its skills with computers are unmatched.

Lifespan: Besides cases of viruses in their system, Porygon can live as long as there are computers to support them. Of course, the oldest Porygon is only about 20 years old so we don’t really know what would happen when they get older.

Reproduction: Porygon are unable to reproduce. They can only be created by Silph co. As such, any attempts to copy Porygon are illegal.

Training Tips: Anyone can easily get a Porygon if they have enough money or luck. Porygon don’t need any support besides computers to support them. Be careful with them, they are computers and computers never forget. Some Porygon when they are first obtained need to be taught some basic things, but they are quick learners.

Porygon can’t be physically in any known way. You simply can’t harm programming by punching it. They are, however, susceptible to viruses. If your Porygon catches a major bug, send it to a Silph co. branch as soon as you can to debug it. Don’t trust anyone else to do so.

Notes:

-When a Porygon 2 with the ability Trace evolves into a Porygon Z, they get the ability Adaptability. This means that they no longer copy the opponent. Instead, they focus their power on boosting their attacks.

-I must congratulate whoever came up with Porygon’s movepool. It’s no small feat to give Pokémon access to electric, ice and psychic type moves, especially on the scale of moves like Trick Room. Also for the pun of giving them Electroweb.

-Porygon were planned for space exploration, but it seems that they get lonely when they leave.

Previous Page

Last edited by gmoyes; 06-13-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Arcane Realm Adventure

You read through the pages of paper, concerned about the reckless charge of the young professor after the poachers. You call him over and talk to him. "Hmmm, yes," Alex said. "I guess I was mad because those two cowards trapped a pokemon and they disregarded it in favour of the one trying to get them out. The very same pokemon I was battling and weakened for them." He shook his head. "They didn't even notice me. Normally, I don't mind being off to the sidelines, but this..." He sighed. "At least they got what was coming to them." You asked what was coming for them. "Me of course," he said with a grin. "Though I need to write up what happened next. You know, that reminds me, I need to work on a write-up on how certain moves work." With that he wandered off and started writing down notes as you shuffle though the rest of the papers.

Previous Page
Next Page

Last edited by gmoyes; 06-07-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #16
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

The Voltorb Line

Ah, the curse of many adventurers who travel through old power plants. They think they’ve found an abandoned pokeball until it blows up in their face. The Voltorb line has become renowned as bombs that explode at any given opportunity they get. There is more to the species than that, having an interesting background.

Species Name: Voltorb
Entomology: The Ball Pokémon
Type: Electric
Height: 1 foot 8 inches or 0.5 meters
Weight: 22.9 lb. or 10.4 kg
Special Abilities: Static, Soundproof, Aftermath
Evolution: Evolves into Electrode

Species: Electrode
Entomology: The Ball Pokémon
Type: Electric
Height: 3 feet 11 inches or 1.2 meters
Weight: 146.8 lb. or 66.6 kg
Special Abilities: Static, Soundproof, Aftermath
Evolution: Evolves from Voltorb

Areas Found: Voltorb can be found in practically any power station. The power plant in Kanto and New Mauville are where the two largest populations of Voltorb are. Electrode can be found wherever Voltorb can be, though in lesser number of course. They feed off the electrical energy produced by the plants.

Physical Make-up: Unsurprisingly, Voltorb are made up of exactly what they look like, the components of a pokeball. Oddly enough, Voltorb are much bigger than a standard pokeball, and their evolution is even larger. My guess is that somehow the ability for pokeballs to shrink down was somehow reversed and now the Voltorb are larger. However, when resting the Voltorb shrink down to the size of a standard pokeball, which is why people think they are pokeballs until they wake up. Electrode are little different than their pre-evolved forms, being larger and the pokeball is upside down for some reason. Electrode don’t have the ability to shrink down, but make up for it by being stronger and faster.

The Voltorb line move around by shifting their inner center of mass around so they can roll around. Some can even achieve bouncing or spinning like a top by throwing this mass around. However, unless they build up a lot of speed, they can find going uphill very difficult. Some can also achieve levitation through using Magnet Rise. Voltorb and Electrode always have a lot of energy stored up. In some Voltorb, the stored electricity ends up being charging the surface of its body which can paralyze something that make contact with it giving them the Static ability. Other Voltorb are unable to hear sound and require other methods of communication. Some very rare Voltorb release all of their stored up energy if they are knocked out.

History: Voltorb are a rather new species, being discovered a few months after pokeballs first started being mass produced. It must have been shocking to discovered that hidden within a batch of newly produced pokeballs there where a few that moved by their own accord. It is difficult to figure out how in the world that a bunch or pokeballs turned into sentient beings. It seems to be an act of a god, which to me, seems like the most likely explanation. Of course, when it comes to the legendary Pokémon, there must be some sort of reason. Well, if you look at my paper on pokeballs, you’ll see my opinion that the symbol of the pokeball has some sort of spiritual connection with Pokémon. This may be in fact proven then the pokeballs themselves were turned into Pokémon. Maybe it was some sort of congratulation from the legendaries saying ‘congrats, you got it right’. But of course, they made it explode if it was provoked. They must have some sense of humour.

Nowadays, Voltorb and Electrode are parts of many electric type trainers’ teams. They have also been used to store electricity for various purposes. Some not-so-humane people also have a habit of using these Pokémon for ammunition.

Behaviour: Voltorb and Electrode are solitary Pokémon. Even though many of them live in the same area, they don’t form herds. This is mainly because if Voltorb got together in a group, if one of them ended up exploding, then the whole group ends up exploding through the chain reaction. Not only is this bad news for the Voltorb, but it is also bad for anything in the surrounding area. It is much better for everyone if they didn’t get together in groups.

Voltorb aren’t purposefully mean when they blow up in people’s faces. Keeping all of that stored energy under control takes a lot of focus, so when they are startled or under stress, they can’t control their energy and explode. Electrode on the other hand have much better control over their energy, so if they really do explode, it’s on their own accord.

Reproduction: It is unknown if Voltorb reproduce. All that is known is every once in a while, a couple of pokeballs mysteriously disappear from shipments. It may be chalked up to some sort of governmental conspiracy theory, but I like to think that the lost pokeballs have become new Voltorb.

Lifespan: As far as we know, unlimited. Voltorb is a rather newly discovered species so we’re not sure if they have a limited life span. Unless it sustains a fatal injury, it can keep living, provided that it can get a source of electricity.

Training Tips: Voltorb don’t need much in the lines of maintenance, though they need a source of electricity to sustain themselves. Like every other non-biological Pokémon, small scratches and dents don’t matter much, though large ones or ones that linger should be checked out. Don’t be too alarmed when your Voltorb explodes, it has only spent all of the energy it had and its body is perfectly fine, though it may be slightly singed.

If you wish to capture a wild Voltorb, the most important thing to know is speed. Voltorb are faster than they look and have a tendency to paralyze things that attack it. This may lead to the Voltorb out running you and either escaping or self-destructing. Paralyzing it will help deal with this problem, though if you try to catch it without paralyzing it, I recommend using a Quick or Fast Ball. Be gentle when training your Voltorb, never try to startle it. Also in the case of the Voltorb with the ability Soundproof, you need to figure out a way to communicate.

Notes:
-I have no clue why Electrode have mouths. They serve no purpose other than sneer at things that tick them off.

-Even though Voltorb are made from pokeballs, all capture mechanics are rendered useless. Do not try to catch Pokémon with them.

-Voltorb and Electrode can float in water, though I wouldn’t recommend riding one, unless you can figure out a way to stay on top of it and not mind being shocked.

Previous Page

Last edited by gmoyes; 09-09-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

The Slugma Line

Slugma and Magcargo are known for being the Pokémon with the highest body temperature, due to the fact they are living piles of lava. Nothing can even come close to one without sustaining some sort of damage from the heat. However, even without physical contact, that doesn’t stop someone from training one or me from studying one.

Species Name: Slugma
Entomology: The Lava Pokémon
Typing: Fire
Height: 2 feet 4 inches or 0.7 meters
Weight: 77.2 lb or 35.0 kg
Evolution: Evolves into Magcargo

Species Name: Magcargo
Entomology: The Lava Pokemon
Typing: Fire/Rock
Height: 2 feet 7 inches or 0.8 meters
Weight: 121.3 lb or 55.0 kg
Evolution: Evolves from Slugma

Areas Found: Slugma, and to a lesser extent, Magcargo are found anywhere where there are active volcanos. These volcanos include Mt. Ember on One Island in Kanto, Mt. Chimney in Hoenn and Stark Mountain in Sinnoh. Slugma and Magcargo are attracted to the heat and open lava, which without they would cool and die. Though curiously, some Slugma live along the cycling road in Kanto where there are no volcanos. Though interestingly enough, they first appeared there around the time Cinnabar Island erupted. They may have been displaced there during the disaster; it is the closest part of land. And though I think it would have been discovered during construction of the road, there may be some sort of underwater connection to the Cinnabar Island volcano near there allowing the Slugma that live there access to the lava.

Physical Make-up: I’m going to come right out and say it. The pokedex entries that say that a Magcargo’s body temperature is around 18,000 degrees Fahrenheit (10,000 degrees Celsius) are flat out wrong. The temperature of standard lava is only about a tenth of that, so why would Magcargo be ten times hotter than lava? Seeing as Slugma and Magcargo receive energy from lava, why would they be hotter than lava? Also Magcargo actually has a slightly cooler body temperature than Slugma, you can tell because part of it has become cool enough to harden, and it’s a little redder than its pre-evolution.

With that little rant done, Slugma and Magcargo are primarily made out of molten rock. These rocks are the type you would typically see in lava. They actually have a primitive circulatory system within their bodies to regulate their body heat. The rock shell on a Magcargo’s back is a pillow basalt type rock, so it’s actually more fragile than it looks, though it is easy to heal by having it flow some lava through the area so a new shell cools. While Slugma and Magcargo primarily sustain themselves with lava from an active volcano, provided that they can sustain their body temperatures, the can make do with sand. Small rocks could do, but they take much longer to ‘digest’.

Don’t ask why a mound of lava became animated, I have no sweet clue.

History: Slugma and Magcargo are an old species, judging by old stories of lava beasts. While they have been known about, there haven’t been many details about them because of people’s fears of them, as well as their hostile habitat. The Numel line were a much more prolific species because they were renowned for being beasts of burden and they were less hazardous to train. The Slugma line also wasn’t too popular with trainers because of its low mobility and poor typing put them behind pretty much all other fire types. As far as I know, the only notable trainer who regularly uses the Slugma line is Lavaridge Gym Leader Flannery. However, some breeders use them as incubators for hatching eggs.

Behaviour: Slugma are solitary creatures, and while many may mass in volcanic centers, they don’t form groups. They aren’t overly intelligent and are quiet besides moaning and noises associated with active lava. While usually docile, they are very aggressive if provoked. Because so few Pokémon can handle the heat a Slugma produces, they are rarely found with Pokémon from other species. They love sources of heat and if they are removed from their volcano home, they will flock to the warmest nearby object. Unfortunately, this has led Slugma to chase humans and Pokémon for their body heat.

Lifespan: In the wild, a Slugma’s lifespan is tied directly to its volcanic home. If it’s removed from its home or the volcano goes extinct, it only has a few days to find a new volcanic center. Otherwise it will harden and die. Capturing one in a pokeball resets the cooling so trainers only need to worry about it if they leave it out of its pokeball for extended periods of time. If you take care of your Slugma/Magcargo, it can live practically indefinitely.

Reproduction: While Slugma and Magcargo can be male and female, they are actually hermaphrodites and as such, can change gender if the situation requires. However, because of their rather long lifespan, they spawn rarely and when they do, only a few members do so. They lay a few eggs deep in a pool of lava to incubate them and protect them from anything that might harm them. Depending on the make up of the lava, it may take from a few months to a couple decades. Once born, it doesn’t take long for a Slugma to become full grown.

Training Tips: The number one when handling a Slugma or Magcargo is that you shouldn’t put anything flammable within a metre of its body. And yes, a part of your body counts as something flammable. Always treat these Pokémon with caution, otherwise you may end up charged with arson.

Besides these warnings, Slugma and Magcargo are rather easy to care for. Keep in mind that they are much more comfortable in in warm places than cold ones. Try to ‘feed’ your Slugma sand in order to keep up its body. When you can, take it to the heart of a volcano or another source of lava for it to bathe in. Other than that, try not to keep it out of its pokeball for extended periods of time, otherwise it will cool and harden.

If you want to try and catch a Slugma, be prepared to take the heat. Seeing as they live in volcanos, you must come ready to deal with the temperature. A water type Pokémon would be recommended, not only to hit the Slugma with super effective moves, but for a source of water as well. Slugma are slow, but due to the environment and the Slugma’s body heat, it may be a tough battle. These notes also apply to if you want to capture a Magcargo. Their shell provide them with extra defence, but also adds to their type weaknesses. It is recommended that to try battling these Pokémon from a distance.

Notes:

-If you use a Slugma/Magcargo in battle, don’t use it defensively. Due to its speed and weaknesses, it is best to deal as much damage as you can before it goes down.

-If for some reason you need to make physical contact with a Slugma’s body, I suggest you use a strong rock type Pokémon as that’s the only thing that can withstand the heat without harming the Slugma.

-There is a myth that if you feed a Slugma enough metal and somehow increase its body temperature, it will eventually turn into a Heatran. While I haven’t tested this myth, I doubt it would happen and I wouldn’t recommend trying it.

Last Page
Next Page

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Visionary Glade