UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 05-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Orson Scott Card

And god dammit we will have a discussion on Orson Scott Card in this thread as well. He's best known for the Enderverse, but he's written some other good ones too so check them out. The Earthborn (I think) is the best one I've read that isn't Enderverse, just putting that out there.

AND HE IS MORMON.

This concludes all discussion on that topic except in context with relevant discussion. Thank you.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Wow, that's quite a complicated interconnection of data there. Are those all books He's written?

I've only read Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, and the one side-book detailing the childhood of that one really short kid Ender's Shadow maybe? I forget the name. Anyhow, I really enjoyed them, and really ought to spend a little more effort trying to get a hold of the other ones to read.

Orson Scott Card is a Mormon? That's news to me (though I do know he became more "Christian" later in life). If so, he has to have been a convert.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I liked Ender's Game well enough.

I was pretty disappointed to find out that Card is a raging homophobe though. Which is ironic, considering the homoerotic imagery prevalent through Ender's Game and his other books.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Quote:
Originally Posted by unownmew View Post
I've only read Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, and the one side-book detailing the childhood of that one really short kid Ender's Shadow maybe? I forget the name. Anyhow, I really enjoyed them, and really ought to spend a little more effort trying to get a hold of the other ones to read.
You're thinking of the Bean books. I think the fourth of that series is due to be released later this year and promises to tie up the rest of the loose ends from both the Bean and Ender series.

I've read both the Ender and Bean series and enjoyed them quite a lot. A raging God-Warrior of an author does irk me a slight bit though.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post

I was pretty disappointed to find out that Card is a raging homophobe though. Which is ironic, considering the homoerotic imagery prevalent through Ender's Game and his other books.
I never noticed any of this. You sure it wasn't just reading into things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusari View Post
You're thinking of the Bean books. I think the fourth of that series is due to be released later this year and promises to tie up the rest of the loose ends from both the Bean and Ender series.

I've read both the Ender and Bean series and enjoyed them quite a lot. A raging God-Warrior of an author does irk me a slight bit though.
Yeah, Bean, that was the guy's name, thanks. At least I have that bit of information now.

How is Card a "raging God-Warrior" though?
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
GrJackass
Night Man

not reading any because of spoilers, just saw the authors name and realized i just started reading enders game, any other recommendations from him? after like 2-3 good books i usually pick up everything from an author

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment