UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 04-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #26
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Compared to Skype, Discord has far better network performance. Skype is basically bittorrent but with voip instead of warez. So I'd recommend Discord for people with limited data plans or online games that need more bandwidth.

Compared to Skype, Discord has far heavier memory usage: about 3x for me. So I wouldn't recommend Discord for anyone on a low RAM system, or for anyone whose games (or productivity software, for that matter) take a performance hit when memory usage is high.

The UI on both is awful, of course. There's so much wasted space. Every line of text has to have multiple lines of empty padding around it. Emi's screenshot shows readability for the Discord window attained at what looks like 1300 pixels wide. Skype isn't much better. And while I haven't used Slack, it seems to have the same problem. This is just like how Chrome and Firefox are all trying to look like Internet Explorer (and vice versa). Forget usability, gotta look shiny like those other apps!

I think this is a worse problem for something like Slack, which is supposed to be for work. Screen real estate is valuable for work. You've got your messages over here in this window, and your work over here in this window. So you can keep focused on your work while passively monitoring the incoming messages. But with these new bulky chat apps, you've got to drop everything you're working on, maximise the chat app, and dedicate all of your focus and working memory to checking the message to see if it's important information or just another youtube video.

I do like Line as a text replacement for mobile. But the fact that you have to pay for smilies really bothers me.

So I guess it isn't just Skype that sucks, it's everything that sucks now. I can't recommend one client for everyone. I can say that I'll be keeping Skype around for VoIP for the foreseeable future, but other than that, I don't even know what I'll be using a year from now.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:49 PM   #27
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Discord: Settings on the bottom left -> Appearance -> Compact. They understand you, Morg. They know your problems.

They just added the ability to key through servers and channels so I expect that support for tiny windows will be added in soon. As of now, you cannot make the window tiny - the server and channel list, annoyingly enough, remain the same size and take up all your space.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:20 PM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Discord: Settings on the bottom left -> Appearance -> Compact.
This rendered everything no different in fullscreen mode and less compact in non-fullscreen mode. Utterly worthless.

Everything shaded in pink should be toggle-able to be hidden.

All I ask for is a quick and easy toggle to hide the left list (channels) and the right list (users). I get that most people want to see that information. I want to see that information, from time to time. Key thing being, from time to time. I don't want it taking up my screen real estate COOOONSTANTLY. It's no better than Skype's advertisements -- it's all wasted real estate that takes away from my ability to see the most text on screen at once.

And it's especially problematic when I'm trying to watch videos with a friend. Here, we'll use Skype as an example this time:

A friend wants to watch a TV program with me. Here it is, loaded and paused, in my browser window which by default is on full screen.

But oh, no! When I bring up Skype, even on a reasonably-sized non-fullscreen mode, it covers too much of the video! Whatever shall I do?

I know! I'll just make the browser window smaller than full screen! Sure I lose some video size :') , but it's worth it just to ...

GYAAAAAAAAAAH!

(The Skype window still covers a small portion of the video screen.)

Shrinking the video further is undesirable. So is shrinking the Skype chat window. And really, I shouldn't have to shrink either --

If we go back here and re-examine this picture again, why, just look! If only the Friends List were hidden, this wouldn't be an issue! If only I saw only the chat text box, why, I could have my cake and eat it too!

"But, Talon!" you say. "You can hide the Friends List." I can? How?

"Why, all you need to do is go to 'View' and select 'Compact Sidebar Vi--'"

Doesn't do shit. I just tried it. Sidebar stays exactly the same width.

"Well how about 'Split Window Vi--'"

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOP. As I already explained last page, doing this on my previous computer doubled to tripled the lagginess of the entire app -- and the lag wouldn't go away even after I undid the change. Shit is bugged. I don't want to separate the Friends List into some buggy-ass separate window. And I don't want each of my Skype chats to become a separate window either. (Which is exactly what it does. It spins off all of your chats into separate windows instead of keeping them in one mega-window.) I just want the Friends List hidden within the window it's already in. That's all.

And, as with Discord, I don't even want it permanently hidden. I want it toggle-able. Let me hide it for when I'm wanting to do things like watching videos with a friend. Let me re-enable it for when I'm focused on Skype and not simply using it as a means to communicate with friends about some other window that has my primary attention.

EDIT: Misremembered some things. Tried some others out. Text above adjusted accordingly.

Last edited by Talon87; 04-04-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:44 AM   #29
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Discord: Settings on the bottom left -> Appearance -> Compact. They understand you, Morg. They know your problems.
Trust me, I tried that a long time ago and it didn't really help. I just hope that their developers don't feel that this minimal effort on their part is sufficient. They most certainly do not understand this problem.

I really want them to get their act together :V

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #30
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I have to say I'm astounded by the fact that Skype, a first-party Microsoft app, works horribly on Windows.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #31
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
If you click the Member list button next to the search bar, it hides the member list. Hell, it wasn't even in my picture.

:/
Old 04-05-2017, 08:26 PM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
If you click the Member list button next to the search bar, it hides the member list. Hell, it wasn't even in my picture.

:/
Help a brother out. Which client? I don't see the appropriate button next to a search bar in either Skype or Discord. (Keep in mind I have app Skype and browser applet Discord. If it's a Discord app-only thing, that might be that.)
Old 04-05-2017, 09:23 PM   #33
Emi

It might be app only, but its just to the left of the search bar

Old 04-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #34
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
It might be app only, but its just to the left of the search bar

I was in the Direct Messages area so I didn't see it. I see it now and have used it. Okay. Cool --

NOW GIVE ME THE SAME TRICK FOR THE OTHER SIDE. :')
Old 04-05-2017, 10:14 PM   #35
Emi

I haven't found that trick. Sorry. ;;
Old 04-06-2017, 03:24 AM   #36
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Hey VGM, gonna use this chance to ask, how do you get the free calls on Line?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #37
Apollo77
Done With Your Shit

Send a message via Skype™ to Apollo77
I miss xat tbh
Apollo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #38
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

fucking same
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:52 AM   #39
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Fuck Xat, piece of shit worse than Skype garbage program, get that shit out of here
Old 04-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #40
Heather
Naga's Voice

Hiding the left side on Discord as Talon suggests isn't exactly a good idea unless you're proficient with keying through your channels/servers. Which, if you are, that's great! But if you aren't, having that there is kinda your only navigation, so yeah. It would be much less an issue for you because you seem to be in one server period.
However, I'm in enough servers that I should actually consider learning how to key through but don't necessarily want to, so I'm better off with my left bar, and I like my right bar because i can check if someone i want to address is online or idle or in do not disturb, which suppresses i think any and all notifications.

long story short, its hardly fair to call these a waste of space when for a fair few users, such features are useful and convenient or actually necessary.

If there is one thing that bugs me to no end, though, try typing out a message and sending it,
then sending another. Then type a third message with a use of shift/Enter to insert a linebreak. The spacing between the first two messages and the two lines of the third is different, and this drives me batty, because it looks rather sloppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #41
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Hey VGM, gonna use this chance to ask, how do you get the free calls on Line?
Whoops, I have no idea how I missed this comment, sorry

Do you use Line on Android? Because when I'm in a chat with someone, there is usually just a phone button you can click in the chat itself to immediately dial them. Or, if you go to your contact's page, you can tap a person's name and a small box will pop up with the option to either message or call them.

In my experience that's all I've ever had to do and the call just goes through without any issues. I believe Line has a limit of five free calls a day though.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #42
Apollo77
Done With Your Shit

Send a message via Skype™ to Apollo77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
Hiding the left side on Discord as Talon suggests isn't exactly a good idea unless you're proficient with keying through your channels/servers. Which, if you are, that's great! But if you aren't, having that there is kinda your only navigation, so yeah. It would be much less an issue for you because you seem to be in one server period.
However, I'm in enough servers that I should actually consider learning how to key through but don't necessarily want to, so I'm better off with my left bar, and I like my right bar because i can check if someone i want to address is online or idle or in do not disturb, which suppresses i think any and all notifications.

long story short, its hardly fair to call these a waste of space when for a fair few users, such features are useful and convenient or actually necessary.

If there is one thing that bugs me to no end, though, try typing out a message and sending it,
then sending another. Then type a third message with a use of shift/Enter to insert a linebreak. The spacing between the first two messages and the two lines of the third is different, and this drives me batty, because it looks rather sloppy.
Discord just came out with this lovely new thing with its most recent update which allows you to navigate through multiple servers/channels easily. Just press Ctrl + K and you can instantly get to whatever server/channel you want. So you could probably do away with the left bar by using this, as long as you know what servers/channels you want to go to.
Apollo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #43
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

It's not so much that the left bar exists, it's more that when you shrink the window, it doesn't scale down at all. At current, as an example, my Discord window is literally just the server list and channel list, even though my window is an appropriate size to place in the corner and chat with, because Discord refuses to do anything about the left-side bar.

Even if you want to just have Discord anchored to the side, the left side bar takes up asinine levels of space.

Again, though, they're probably just getting everyone used to keyboard navigation before they let you take away the left-side bar.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #44
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Whoops, I have no idea how I missed this comment, sorry

Do you use Line on Android? Because when I'm in a chat with someone, there is usually just a phone button you can click in the chat itself to immediately dial them. Or, if you go to your contact's page, you can tap a person's name and a small box will pop up with the option to either message or call them.

In my experience that's all I've ever had to do and the call just goes through without any issues. I believe Line has a limit of five free calls a day though.
On the version I have, there was no option for free calls. However, I played one of their games, got 20 points, which I converted into 10 or so coins, and was able to place a 5-minute call.

The problem as I see it, is why I am not getting ANY free calls per day.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #45
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
On the version I have, there was no option for free calls. However, I played one of their games, got 20 points, which I converted into 10 or so coins, and was able to place a 5-minute call.

The problem as I see it, is why I am not getting ANY free calls per day.
That's weird. What kind of phone do you have and how long has it been since you've updated the app?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #46
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it's running the most recent version of the app. It's a data-only line, but that didn't seem to hinder me from using the coins to make a call.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-30-2017, 03:14 AM   #47
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So for the past couple days I haven't been able to access AIM, but I see BBB is still on when I use the new (awful) "New AIM" client. I presume the collectors have come for Trillian 5x? Do I have to upgrade to Trillian 6.0 to ditch using the MD5 authentication?

I would rather not upgrade and potentially lose my skins if I can help but, but I'll upgrade if there's no choice. Not using that new AIM client. Hideous.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-07-2017, 10:11 PM   #48
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So I just came back from vacation to learn that AIM is dying for good!

It's quite sad, considering AIM is one of the few clients that actually work over a hidden tethered connection and its simplicity has always been refreshing. Though perhaps, it is time to say goodbye to it if a good successor is in order.

It seems BBB, Morg, and dami all have Discord. I will register an account on it but I really don't see it as a permanent solution.

I'm looking into Threema, though there is no Windows client yet. Will give experimentation.

LINE is still on the table I think.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-07-2017, 11:28 PM   #49
Beautiful Savage
Oh, hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo77 View Post
I miss xat tbh
:$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$
Old 10-08-2017, 02:08 AM   #50