UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 12-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Volcanion Officially Revealed

BORKED

"A new Mythical Pokémon has been found in the world of Pokémon, which cannot be encountered through regular gameplay. This Pokémon’s name is Volcanion!

Unlike any Pokémon discovered before it, this Pokémon is both Fire and Water type. It uses fire and water to create steam within its body, expelling explosive shock waves and boiling steam from the arms on its back. The power is said to be great enough to blow away an entire mountain, gouging out the earth and changing the shape of the land. Learn more on our site!"

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
The shocker of the century right here. Totally unprecedented. This does make me wonder if we'll get any cool event moves with it though, this was a while to hold back Volcanion.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Eh, it's been roughly one a year. Games came out in late '13, Diancie was announced soon after and was released Summer '14. Hoopa was announced last Winter and was released this Summer. This ties in with Volcanion being released with the movie this coming Summer.

I mean wow oh my what an utter shock I would never have guessed.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Taking a wild punt on past events and extrapolating, from this we can assume Z version to come at some point this year, as sequel games (when they happen) usually contain the final legendary as an event (Genesect and BW2, Shaymin and Platinum, probably some further). Even further, 2017 should herald gen 7. And a whole new fuckfest for ASB!
Old 12-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
phoopes
Double Dragon

I'm okay with them "revealing" new Pokemon long after dataminers have found them. However, the way in which they "revealed" Volcanion was really lame. They could have done a lot better choo-choo hype train announcement but instead it felt kind of blah
Old 12-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

What, you mean like the smash reveals? Where it shows a bit more cool stuff than the thing and one move? Probably.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #7
phoopes
Double Dragon

Yeah, sort of. Like all we got was a 30 second look at this "new Mythical Pokemon" and got to see it use two moves. It was the same old music that we've all heard 1,000 times before. There was no presentation, no pizzazz. It didn't get me excited for Volcanion at all really. I think that even if I had never heard of Volcanion before I still wouldn't be that excited.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #8
Link
Banned

I am going to get this pokemon.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I'm mostly just surprised that Game Freak has continued to fail to abuse their ability to update the actual data on the cartridges. Smash Bros has done it and is regularly updated (it is patched every sometimes and actually seems to take competitive play into account) with no problems and a sensible system.

I dislike event legends now, but I can see why they're still there: my little cousins think legends are cool as fuck and don't pay attention to things that are datamined. Still, I just find the whole process kind of lame in execution - they hyped up the whole game but couldn't even save a little bit of hype for stuff after the game?
Old 12-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
I'm mostly just surprised that Game Freak has continued to fail to abuse their ability to update the actual data on the cartridges.
Because of the franchise's history, Pokémon is one of the very few franchises out there that can get away with robbing its fandom blind with de facto annual patches that are sold at full price. Most gaming fandoms have never had to put up with anything remotely resembling Game Freak's sales model for Pokémon. The fighting fandoms had to, but they recently mutinied against Capcom and other fighting game developers for selling patched versions of the games every year. You see the fruits of that civil unrest in Sm4sh: rather than making fat cash by selling a "Smash 4 Turbo" or "Smash 4 Ultimate" one to two years after Sm4sh's release, they've just kept patching the original game.

Pokémon fans requested/demanded that Game Freak patch XY to be ORAS compatible. Whether because they genuinely couldn't or because they simply chose not to, they didn't patch it. So long as Pokémon fans continue to be suckers and buy Game Freak's games, Game Freak is correct to call the fandom out for its hollow threats of abandonment and to make money hand over fist. What the fandom needs is two things. First, true competition for Pokémon. (Yo-Kai Watch was purported to be this but afaik it hasn't taken off in the West. VGChartz claims it's only sold under 50,000 copies in the U.S. so far, putting it in Shenmue IIx territory. ) Second, for the fandom to hop on over to it. Not necessarily all of us, and not necessarily forever, but enough of us for a long enough period of time that Game Freak realizes they have competition and that they need to court us again rather more seriously than they have done.

EDIT: You know something? I'm going to have take back what I said about "most gaming fandoms haven't known ...". The more I think about it, the more I'm willing to agree that the following all fit Pokémon's sales model (at least intergenerationally, if not intragenerationally):
  • any JRPG franchise that has achieved recognizable franchise status through multiple sequels (e.g. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest)
  • any platformer that likewise (e.g. Mario, Mega Man)
  • pretty much the entire genre of sports games
  • the entire genre of racing games ...
Yeah ... I'm going to have to take back what I was implying about Pokémon being in a unique position. It's nowhere near unique. I think the rest of the post still applies though. Lack of competition --> we all keep buying them --> Game Freak has no incentive to do more than the bare minimum to get us to keep buying --> they're not going to slay the goose that lays the golden eggs by giving us ORAS as a $15 patch for XY.

Last edited by Talon87; 12-16-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #11
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

I think the main issue with having ORAS as an XY patch/update/DLC thing is memory space. It would likely be fucking huge, and take up a nice chunk of the 3ds's shitey memory. Especially on the new ones that seem to hold like, three games and then say 'sorry, full'.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #12
Heather
Naga's Voice

...it's literally a few more mega stones and forms. You're not sticking all of ORAS into the back closet of X/Y.

It's also weird because you could bring later gen things into earlier games viably, but there would be obvious seams (Skymin not showing up as Skymin but still being part flying, Kyurem B/W having Teravolt/Turboblaze but still looking like normal Kyurem, etc.). Here, they can actually fully integrate everything, but they choose not to and instead run a separate server for Battle Spot and the like for ORAS, and cripple teams that used ORAS megas if they had to face an X/Y player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News