UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 07-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #26
deoxys
Fog Badge

Watching now.

3 seconds in and holy shit they got Jen Taylor to narrate this!? Well I'll be a sonofa...

Will edit in my thoughts when the episode ends.

EDIT: Alrighty, some non-spoilery thoughts:

First of all, Ruby Red is fucking ADORABLE. That's about all that needs to be said on that subject.

Story: Eh. All I'm going to say is early impressions feel like it's forced to focus on the fights, but it's Monty Oum so I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking or not cliched, and to be honest the entire episode was built on cliches from top to bottom.

Actually, I'm just going to keep this brief. For what it is and for the way it's animated, I can already tell it's going to be a fun series. It's not one I'm going to take seriously though. The designs are GREAT, the voice acting is great given this is a small studio production, and the music was EXCELLENT. Everything else was... under par, but it's not really important for this series I don't think.

Actually yeah, I don't really have any spoilery thoughts. That's about it. But yes, I'm already in love with Ruby.

Last edited by deoxys; 07-18-2013 at 10:17 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
phoopes
Double Dragon

I was a bit underwhelmed by the first episode after how excited I was by the trailers. Everything looks beautiful at a standstill, though when stuff is moving some things annoy me. Like the fight scenes look fantastic, but the simple walking and talking animations just seem a bit off to me. As for the story, there's really not much to say that I couldn't say before: It's a really interesting concept. I'm still excited for how it develops, as we've only seen two of the main characters so far, hopefully it won't disappoint.

Fucking Glenda Goodwitch though. Only thing that I absolutely hated about the first episode is her name, and it looks like she's going to be a major character. Ugh horrible name.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #28
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Fucking Glenda Goodwitch though. Only thing that I absolutely hated about the first episode is her name, and it looks like she's going to be a major character. Ugh horrible name.
I love her as a character, but yeah...the name sucks.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #29
phoopes
Double Dragon

Episode 2

Okay, so this episode kiiiiiiinda sucked.

First off, I've decided that the whole "every character not essential to the plot is a silhouette" thing bothers me. I know the team that works on this is kind of small and are all very busy trying to finish episodes, but it wouldn't kill them to at least put a bit more effort into the background characters. Then again, this could be a look they were going for, and if so, great! Executed well, I just personally don't like it.

There were a few other things I didn't like as well, even though they were supposed to be there. The scene between Ruby and Weiss where Weiss is a complete bitch is supposed to be a plot point, and that's great. The four overcoming a bit of inner conflict to become a working team (I assume) can be set up like this, but I feel it's a bit cliche. Same with the scene where Ruby feels like an outsider and meets an awkward boy, John(?) Jean(?) Arc. The little awkward conversation between them feels cliche to me too, so that didn't sit well with me.

Oh and the scene where Ruby's art style changes completely when she's reacting to being at Beacon is horrible! The one thing this show does really really well so far is look beautiful. It's a sin in my book to change that even for a few seconds to go for the stereotypical "female protagonist is excited" look in anime.

One final thing that irked me was as far as the actual episode goes, it was less than six minutes long. See, I thought this was going to be like an actual show that might be aired on TV. While the first episode didn't meet the ~22 minute requirement for a half-hour block on TV, it was 13 minutes if I remember right, good for two episodes in a half-hour. I really wasn't expecting the lack of content that showed up here.

...All that said, the show still looks beautiful and the voice acting for this episode was great. And even if I thought the progression of the plot was a bit cliched, it's building towards something better so I'm happy about that. Even though I didn't like this episode, I'm confident that it will improve in the future. I'm a fan of pretty much everything RoosterTeeth produces, and they haven't disappointed me yet.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #30
deoxys
Fog Badge

Wait, that was the whole episode?

Yeah, not going to lie, that was pretty shitty.

Spoiler: show
I didn't like White's voice, or the Sokka knock off "Vomit boy". I really just... ugh.

This episode was just everything the first was NOT, and even the first episode wasn't great. If it wasn't for Ruby being such a likable adorakable character I'd probably drop this here and now. "It'll get better maybe!" Yeah well the first 18 minutes of the show are pretty disappointing overall and it just has "cliched" and "girls with guns (and bewbies)" written all over it. Something for a more 13-17 year old audience, I guess.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #31
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Disappointed with White's personality, considering she was my favorite from the trailers. Red is pretty fun though.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:59 AM   #32
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Red is fantastic, Yellow is a good foil for her, White is played amazingly straight, Black has potential, Jean d' Arc is entertaining.

Episodes are short, background characters are boring (but I think they're using a 3D program so that's entirely understandable because UGH TEXTURES), major/non-major characters are easy to determine.

I get what they were going for with the art change they had Red do, but they did the wrong thing- a motion blur would have been a far more effective effect for the feeling they were going for. On that matter, what program are they using? I'm curious.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #33
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
Been enjoying the show so far - not got a lot to complain about at all. Weiss' personality was a bit jarring (though I can get used to it), as was sudden artstyle shift for Ruby's little weapon geekout and Goodwitch's name is just terribad. Other than that, pretty satisfied so far - though I'm somewhat easy to please, I guess.

And for the record, Vomit Boy is called Jaune because that looks like it needs saying.

Also Kin, the animation software used is Poser - there's a mention thing at the end of each episode.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #34
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
I gotta say, I was pretty surprised with Weiss's personality too, I thought she'd be more humble than that. And she was my and my girlfriend's favorite character too! Anyway, looks a bit like Soul Eater from what I've seen except cooler weapons, and they aren't sentient beings. Also, Vomit Boy. XD

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #35
phoopes
Double Dragon

Episode 3

Honestly I'm about to abandon ship, I hated this episode too. I realize that we're still in the exposition phase here and that things are still starting to develop but man this has just been disappointing for me. Most of the same reasons as last time, some of the animations looked kind of awkward, cliche dialogue, short episode length, lol random scene where we change artstyle, etc. Bleh I'll probably continue to sit through it anyway because I'm admittedly a Rooster Teeth fanboy but I'm really hoping to see improvement in this.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #36
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I actually kinda liked episode 03. The (idle) animation was a step up, aside from the style shift/still frames at the end. Some nice close-ups on expressions too. Dialogue and character interactions were cute if cliché.

Lol at Ruby's "It's happening again!" and leaping into her sister's arms.

Also huh she's a lefty too? Maybe she and Weiss do have something in common.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 08-07-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #37
deoxys
Fog Badge

03:

Better than episode two and a half-decent attempt at trying to develop characters.

Idle animation is still gross and is something they need to just not do at all. Sorry, Monty, but it's ugly, cringe worthy, and pulls you out of the zone the show's mood is supposed to put you in and completely kills it. It's the equivalent of Meelo "fartbending" during a serious fight in The Legend of Korra. DON'T. DO IT.

Other generic cheesy things annoy the hell out of me, too, like

the sister's screaming "Oh no, not you again!" in unison and the bad attempt at what I call "4kids Dub Humor" with things like "Where am I going to find a quirky girl now?" or whatever he said. The fast forwarding of White talking about Dust was alright and acceptable humor in my book, but puns and bad attempts at snarky/witty comments kill it.

I guess I don't know what I expected. It just feels like this is something that I would have watched on Fox Kids/FoxBox/4Kids TV/Kids! WB etc. on a Saturday morning. It feels so... purposely generic. :/

By all means, I'm not trying to poop on anyone's parade here, if you enjoy it hey, awesome. But for me, three episodes in, the show has already laid the groundwork and told you what it's going to be and how it's going to be it. I feel like it has potential to be something greater and I know they're working with what they have, but even with what they have it wouldn't be very hard to make it better than it has been.

So anyway, episode three wasn't bad, wasn't memorable or particularly good either. But it was a sincere attempt at development, so...

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #38
phoopes
Double Dragon

Episode 4

Holy shit, I actually liked this one!

This episode was a bit more plot development, but we're getting close to some real action here. Introduced to a few new characters, not exactly clear on what their roles will be yet but you can make some predictions based off this episode. Obviously Ruby, Weiss, Yang, and Blake are all going to be on a team, that should be clear. Any other teams are sort of up in the air, but there are really only four other characters that have been introduced, Jean, Pyra, Li, and Nora. My guess is that they'll end up working together as well. My complaints from before are virtually nonexistant in this episode, all the animations seem fluid to me, and the dialogue was actually good, it even made me laugh a bit where it was supposed to! My only real problem with this episode was that the "teams" thing was given little to no explanation, suddenly all the characters just knew they were going to be teamed up. Other than that though, fantastic episode, even if they're still short.

Best cereal 2013:
Pumpkin Pete's Marshmallow Flakes
Old 08-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #39
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Ironically, I didn't like this episode. ^^; *orange kind of girl* Humor just felt kind of cheesy, and the voice acting wasn't that great. Weiss really got on my nerves, and don't care for the "cereal" girl's tone. The other new character's okay, but Ruby's already hyperactive enough, and it was hard to understand her at times.

The very end made me laugh though.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #40
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

What I'm most bothered by is that the episodes are so short. I personally believe the original plan was to have Episode 2 and Episode 3 as one 13-minute episode - no idea why this didn't happen, but now the 6-minute episodes frustrate me with their shortness. RvB's shortness per episode is easier for me to handle than an anime-inspired show having short episodes that have either one well-executed battle scene or about a paragraph's worth of humor. I'd let this issue go if this was a daily show, but 6 minutes once a week?

RWBY's 6 minutes per week is not in the same scale of worthiness to me as Chi's Sweet Home and AIURA (although part of why those two work in a 6-minute-format is that they're slice of life animes, unlike RWBY). If there's a proper plot to RWBY as I was lead to believe, I'd love to start actually seeing that instead of "wacky" let's-be-friends-episodes.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #41
deoxys
Fog Badge

But that's always been the Rooster Teeth model. Release an episode 5-10 minutes long once a week and then wrap up the season at around episode 20 - 25 and release it on DVD as 2-3 hour movie and call it a "season". RWBY is no exception.

I just think this model is killing any potential the show had (amongst other things). It doesn't fit for an "anime" show. It works with Red vs. Blue because it wasn't a plot heavy show (until later seasons) and mostly focused around the comedy. It worked with that other show by Rooster Teeth I saw a long time ago which I forget because it was the same principle there, too. But RWBY isn't a comedy heavy machinima - it's supposed to be an "original series" anime, basically, full of cheesy Monty Oum action. That just doesn't work with the standard Rooster Teeth model!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #42
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm not watching this series myself, but one thing you can opt to do if you can't stand the shortness is to not watch it for the next n weeks. Allow it to build up a meaty backlog of episodes and then, one night when you're in the mood, watch all of them. If you're the sort who can't be asked to do this more than once, then set n equal to the total number of episodes in the season, i.e. wait until you've found out that the season is over and then go and watch it.

It's not the easiest thing in the world to do for everybody, and it also depends on the series, but I've done it before and it can definitely be a personally rewarding decision if you really hate watching it in short bursts that badly.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #43
deoxys
Fog Badge

And really, that's the best option. You lose talking about it weekly, but with a show like RWBY, it's not really the most viable for a weekly discussion given the 5 minute episode model. I used to actually do this with Red vs Blue - I'd just wait until the whole thing was up and watch it all in one sitting as a film, which was much more satisfying since it clipped the credits and intros from each episode and connected it all into one seamless movie.

I'd bet that RWBY will have a DVD out by Christmas, so I'll just wait for that.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #44
phoopes
Double Dragon

I'm starting to think that the best option is to wait until the end of the season and then watch all of them at once too. I just watched the 5th episode, and while I liked it, there was less than four minutes of actual content (taking out intro and closing credits). I don't think I can really deal with that, so yeah I'll probably wait until the end of the season.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #45
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

So now that RWBY's got a Volume 1 DVD/yaddayaddaray out, I've gotten around to watching it. Feast upon these short comments on some of the episodes!

Episode 4!

Monty Oum as Ren. Because why wouldn't a guy who's called Real-Life Anime have a part in...almost-anime? (I admit, I like Monty. A lot.)

"You're starting to sound like dad!" <- My dad actually did the whole "go meet and hang out with people" speech when I was in high school. I did not enjoy it. Least I've got people to hang out with now.

Episode 5!

Oh lord I know that "NEW PEOPLE OH GOD NO D8" feeling. My sympathies, Ruby.

Didn't think Weiss would be such a fancy pants when I first saw the trailers.

Episode 6! No, the box contents aren't getting much longer!

So Ruby and Weiss better not develop some Uber-Fusion thing - that's the vibe I'm getting from the "we totally can't work together" bit.

Wait, RWBY's diving into Persona territory now? "MANIFESTATION OF THE SOUL" and...everything. And somehow even Monty's insert-character is awesome in a purely awesome-and-not-annoying way. :3

"Boop." x3

Episode.....lucky 7!

Oh Jean/Jan/Jeanne/Comic Relief. That's...all.

Episode 8.

Okay, I loved this episode.

"I'M QUEEN OF THE CASTLE! 83"
"NORA! >"

I love Ren and Nora. It's official. My favorite duo.
Favorite team? JNPR all the way, screw Team RWBY! >:3

Episode 9!

The Achievement Hunter boyband poster. Okay. That was a good one.

Realistic portrayal of my classes in middle school. Except that's more like how my history and chemistry lessons went. Wait, monster taming?

Episode...10.

Osben is a Wise Guy. AND THANK GOD SOMEONE'S GIVING A (VERBAL) BITCH SLAP TO WEISS!

Episode 11...GO TEAM JNPR, RIGHT?! PLEASE?!

Combat tournament combat tournament 83

Poor Jaune. (This'll be a recurring statement, huh?)

Bunny girl? Bunny girl.

Episode....you'll never guess...12!

Wow, Coffee Teacher! x3 -cuddles-

Racism theme continues. Please just break that jerk Cardin(???)'s legs. He deserves it.

Jaune...cheated his way in? Okay, for once a guy who's not born-awesome-and-just-waiting-for-The-Moment but just a regular wimp who doesn't want to be a wimp anymore! And trouble ensues...

Episode 13 why yes I'm up at 2:41 AM watching cartoons

Jaune the Whipped. Just TELL YOUR FRIENDS ALREADY! OR THROW THE FREAKING SAP AT THE JERKS!

Oh. Thank you! 83

Episode 14: "This Will Be The Day We Have A 6-Minute-Episode"

Jaune's a HEALER OF ALL THINGS?! Alright, I can live with this.

"Magnets are cool too." Yeeep.

D'aw the beauty of friendship and combat tutoring. :3

Episode 15 In Which There Is A School Festival

Having so many flashbacks to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire for some reason.

Slow-motion wink? Check.

Racism continues. Blake's a Faunus/Fauna, we've all known that since Day 1, right? Well, let's wait for a bit longer until the show gets that far- OKAY INSERT ROMANCE PLOT HERE.

Episode 16, the last one so far! LET'S DO THIS!

PROPER DRAWN ANIME GRAPHICS! ...for about 5 seconds.

Dumb cat jokes and actual tumbleweed? Check.
Awkward exposition character? Check.

Oh hi flamboyant bad guy from Episode 1! Racist to boot, too!

This show really shines when it comes to action sequences. Damn Sun Wukong and Penny got some MOVES!

Wait, end of first season? JUST WHEN I GOT AROUND TO WANTING MORE?! DAMN YOU ROOSTER TEETH!

I'm on board with this show again. Took my sweet time warming up to it, and yeah it's a lot better to marathon it by season than wait ages between 3-4-minute-clips, but there's worse stuff out there. Like SAO, for example!

Okies, back to True Anime again, hopefully I'm not trying to beat a dead horse back to life here...
Old 11-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #46
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I've still been checking this on occasion. (Looks like I had missed the conclusion to Jaune's Arc though. *shot for making the joke*) It's gotten more interesting.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #47
phoopes
Double Dragon

So I finally got around to watching all of the first season since "Volume 2" comes out in two days. Overall thoughts on the show can be summed up into the following: pretty cheesy but enjoyable. The main flaws that we were all mentioning before, like awkward non-battle animation, some cringe-worthy voice acting, etc. are still present by the end but I don't think they're as bad as they were. That could be me just getting used to it, though.

Anyway, I talked a bit to one of my friends on Smogon who's a big fan of the show and keep up with all the news. Apparently they've promised more content per episode this time around. Hopefully between that and everything being more polished after a season's experience, we'll see an improvement in quality. Might start watching weekly again, and this time I don't think I'll jump ship unless we get four minute episodes again.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #48
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Should we move this out of Anime since it technically by all definitions isn't anime?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #49
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
If you want, although I don't really care. It's not like the MLP topic that was always being bumped.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #50
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

4th episode of Volume 2 came out. Waaaay better than Volume 1. Silhouettes are gone. Episode length is now proper. Non-combat animations are less wooden. Writing is better. We have now reached the plot. Production value is generally up.

Idk if they just had more time to produce this set of episodes or more money or both, but whatever it is it's better. It still could use some work (some parts of the character models are still stiff such as McGonagall's cape, and there was a bit of two models phasing into one another in this episode), but it's a marked improvement.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime