UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 03-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Are You Being Served?

Are You Being Served? is a British sitcom broadcast from 1972 to 1985. It was set in the ladies' and gentlemen's clothing departments of Grace Brothers, a fictional London department store.

Are You Being Served? featured humour based on sexual innuendo, misunderstandings, mistaken identity and occasional slapstick. In addition, there were sight gags generated by outrageous costumes which the characters were sometimes required to wear for store promotions, and gaudy store displays frequently featuring malfunctioning robotic mannequins. The show is remembered for its prolific use of double entendres.

The main humorous base of the series was a merciless parody of the British class system. This permeated almost every interaction and was especially evident in the conversations between the maintenance men and the ostensibly higher-class store personnel. The episodes rarely left the store, and to parody the stereotype of the British class system, characters rarely addressed each other by their first names, even after work, opting for their formal titled names ("Mr", "Mrs", "Miss", or even "Captain"). When they did address each other by their first names, it was almost either as an aside, or often for a comical effect (e.g. an underling addressing a superior).
Discuss one of television's greatest sitcoms here.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Sorry to get us started with such sad news, but I just learned that Frank Thornton, the actor who played Captain Peacock, passed away on March 16. I wanted to share this news but thought it might be a bit too narrow to make a thread just for this ... so rather than make an obituaries thread T_T , I decided to make us an AYBS? thread. Requiescat en pace, Stephen.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Mercutio
Banned

I was sad to see the news today. I'm not sure I'd put AYBS in the greatest sitcoms category myself, but it's pretty great (as opposed to the spin off, which is a bit bland). I prefer him in Last of the Summer Wine, though.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment