UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The more you know!

I'm surprised this wasn't a topic yet. I could have sworn someone made something similar to this, (i.e. myself). It'll basically be an FYI topic where we share interesting finds or discoveries.

For the kickoff...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_bear

The common perception of the cave bear, like all other prehistoric animals, is that it was bigger and nastier than modern bears. Not true, while they were certainly larger than most bears of today, the big Kodiaks are around the same size. Moreover, cave bears were almost obligate herbivores and somewhat fragile, dying very often during their hibernation spells due to the lack of calories they could accumulate throughout the year.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #2
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

I always make my scouts end their turn in forest+hill squares in case any cave bears show up!

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

How to tear a phone book in half with your bare hands.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Been racking my brains researching Greek/Latin to find something to name a senate-like entity in my story.

Found this: Eupatridae (eu meaning "excellent" and patridae "of the father", i.e. well-born or noble birth)

"father" is too loaded for me, so I look up "parent" and get "goneus". Now we know where the origin of the word "gonad" is from.

This lead to Eugenics, with genics meaning "birth" in this case.

How about this common name, then: Eugene? You couldn't get anymore narcissistic naming your child Adonis.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

In the movie Oliver and Company, Billy Joel as Dodger continually refers to something called "street...something". Writing it out I'd always get "sawafare" when I was little. I had assumed from a young age it was some kind of New York slang, like 'hakuna matata' was Swahili.

Listening closer, Joel's '80s New York accent is really hard to delineate, but my brain recognized it as "streetside warefare". Is that what it was all this time?

Nope...apparently it's "street savoir faire", basically a plug for "street smarts". It's a French phrase but I have literally never heard it out of the context of that movie.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Did you know that Green Eggs and Ham was written on a bet?

Quote:
Green Eggs and Ham is one of Seuss's "Beginner Books", written in a very simple vocabulary for beginning readers.

The vocabulary of the text consists of just fifty different words and was the result of a bet between Seuss and Bennett Cerf (Dr. Seuss's publisher) that Seuss (after completing The Cat in the Hat using 225 words) could not complete an entire book using so few words.

The 50 words are: a, am, and, anywhere, are, be, boat, box, car, could, dark, do, eat, eggs, fox, goat, good, green, ham, here, house, I, if, in, let, like, may, me, mouse, not, on, or, rain, Sam, say, see, so, thank, that, the, them, there, they, train, tree, try, will, with, would, you.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I learned about this last Winter when my teacher casually dropped it, but anyone who knows about Kodak might be surprised to learn that the company went bankrupt two years ago and just emerged from it lately. This, the huge camera corporation that dominated places like at amusement parks or one-hour photo stations and was almost synonymous with photography. What happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Kodak began to struggle financially in the late 1990s as a result of the decline in sales of photographic film and its slowness in transitioning to digital photography, despite having invented the core technology used in current digital cameras. 2007 was the most recent year in which the company made a profit. As part of a turnaround strategy, Kodak focused on digital photography and digital printing and attempted to generate revenues through aggressive patent litigation.

In January 2012, Kodak filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. In February 2012, Kodak announced that it would cease making digital cameras, pocket video cameras and digital picture frames and focus on the corporate digital imaging market. In August 2012, Kodak announced the intention to sell its photographic film (excluding motion picture film), commercial scanners and kiosk operations as a measure to emerge from bankruptcy. In January 2013, the Court approved financing for the company to emerge from bankruptcy by mid-2013. Kodak sold many of its patents for approximately $525,000,000 to a group of companies (including Apple, Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, Samsung, Adobe Systems and HTC) under the name Intellectual Ventures and RPX Corporation.
How Kodak was relevant to me was they developed a kind of "slide technology" chromatography, which made it even more bizarre that Kodak didn't follow similar pioneers of old tech like AT&T (who moved on from just traditional phones into telecommunications) and stuck by traditional photos. Intuitively one would think Kodak extend into the photocopier, scanner and iPhone business but apparently they never had anything like "Bell Labs" to develop that technology nor did they acquire it through buying stock until after their decline phase.

Part of the story is that the chemical aspect relevant to my chromatography became "Eastman Chemical" which is a big successful company right now. It's no Sigma Aldrich, but it's in a much stronger place than Eastman Kodak.

On September 3, 2013, Kodak emerged from bankruptcy having shed its large legacy liabilities and exited several businesses.[19] Personalized Imaging and Document Imaging are now part of Kodak Alaris, a separate company owned by the U.K.-based Kodak Pension Plan.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-15-2014, 01:10 AM   #8
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracked
#3. Rabbits Eat Carrots, Mice Love Cheese

So How'd It Get Started?

As for rabbits and carrots, it goes back to Bugs Bunny and an old Clark Gable movie from 1934. The film was a romantic comedy called It Happened One Night, and it was a huge hit at the time. There was a scene where Gable was talking around a carrot he was chewing on and the animators for Bugs Bunny depicted Bugs doing the same, in an open parody of the scene that audiences of the time would have immediately recognized (kind of the way we immediately recognize when a Shrek character imitates "bullet time" from The Matrix). That became standard Bugs Bunny behavior, and what followed was 75 years of kids growing up thinking that rabbits were carrot junkies.
This is pretty surprising. You'd think Bugs Bunny ate a carrot because that was a popular myth at the time. I never would have imagined he was the source of the myth!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-15-2014, 01:53 AM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
This is pretty surprising. You'd think Bugs Bunny ate a carrot because that was a popular myth at the time. I never would have imagined he was the source of the myth!
I know Cracked tends to do their homework, but that's such a mindblowing bit of trivia that I'd have to see a trustworthy authority confirming it before I believed it. Not the Clark Gable bit. That's fine. I don't deny that Bugs' specific way of holding and eating his carrot came from parodying Gable. But the idea that rabbits' love of carrots is a popular myth with its origins in Bugs Bunny ... crazy. O_o That'd be like telling us that making a wish upon a star has its origins in Disney's Pinocchio or that the saying about a cat having nine lives has its origins in an old Sylvester the Cat cartoon.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:59 AM   #10
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Doesn't sound far fetched to me. Peter Pan practically invented the name "Wendy".

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:30 AM   #11
Mercutio
Banned

I think to say that Cracked does their homework is being quite kind. But I can get on board with this. The British invented the idea rhat carrots give you night vision after all.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:54 AM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

You've heard of the African Elephant. You've also heard of the African Lion.

You've heard of the Indian Elephant. But have you heard of the Indian Lion?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
Red Panda
head head bitch

On a similar note, what about the Iranian Cheetah?
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

The Asiatic Lion was the original lions of Greek mythology. They didn't import them from Africa to have people fight for myths. Sadly, humans have been hunting them since those ancient times and when they receded down to near extinction, we pretty much thought they were myth or thought they were African Lions.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Fish

Mammal

Reptile
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #16
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

There's no copyright infringement in nature.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #17
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The Order Carnivora has two suborders, Feliformia and Caniformia. This is because the common ancestors that formed both suborders is the progenitor of modern cats and dogs, and traits of both are seen in animals within both suborders.

Some of the members are quite interesting.

Caniformia: Bears, Weasels, Seals/Walrus
Feliformia: Hyenas, Moongoose
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-06-2014, 02:50 AM   #18
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
This would by why I cry every time people think that Mightyena is a wolf.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:07 AM   #19
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
But it's obviously modeled somewhat after a wolf as well as a hyena.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #20
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah applying actual zoology to pokemon doesn't work so well.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #21
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Aleister Crowley pioneered the use of IRL screen-names; he renamed himself TheBeast666.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #22
Yinreaper
Pokemon Trainer

POKEZOOLOGY IS A THING!!!!!111! I promise...

Ok it's not
Yinreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #23
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Attila the Hun's country still exists today. It's called Hungary.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #24
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I had never heard of a diva cup before today.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

How to find your lost dog. Did not know about this, but it makes pretty good sense given dogs' keen sense of smell.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc