UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 08-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
Torkoal Stu
This

Klefki Harry Potter & The Cursed Child {Spoilers}

I was unsure of how much of a HP fandom existed within UPN but I thought I would give it a go.

So...the script for the play has been officially released now. Anyone seen/read it?

I'm trying desperately to get tickets to see the play (more released this week woo!) but out of curiosity I read the script as it was released yesterday, and it's a very quick and easy read.
I finished it in a couple of hours.

Now if people want to discuss it definitely use spoiler tags!

So warning there will probably be spoilers~

Spoiler: show
So it was...okay. Like it has some amazing scenes, poignant and moving, however no matter how you shape it up the plot is down right poor.

The new characters are interesting and the developments with the established characters are really well written and they are captured perfectly. Scorpius is especially good. The plot seems to be an afterthought which hangs it together (questionably). It is really just about how the events of the series have affected these characters and how they've grown. All that stuff is good.

But the issues with the plot hold it back so much. Like I can't see how anyone can defend that.

I'd be excited to see how they pull it off on stage, I bet that it is spectacular. But while JK oversaw and developed this project I am really surprised she let it run in the state it is. It just seems very...messy in terms of how it affects the established universe she spent seven books developing.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Is the book shit or nah?

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:11 PM   #3
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
Is the book shit or nah?
It's not a book. It's literally the script for the play.

But I enjoyed it. It's okay. It's not on par with the books, and I bet it's amazing to watch as a play. People kind of have to go in with the mentality that it's not an 8th book in the sense the other installments are. It's different. It's a continuation of the world and it revolves around the characters and how the series has affected them and their lives.

Just don't read a summary online, that'll really ruin any enjoyment you have of it. It's definitely not a plot going in you can know anything about.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #4
dirkac
uhhhhh

Yeah, I got the script yesterday and have been readjng through it.

Its ok so far.
Not a return to form or otherwise really good but its passable I guess.
Not the biggest fan tbh but eh
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #5
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

I'm a pretty huge HP fan. Have been since the first book and wouldn't have met my girlfriend without it. I really enjoyed the book, though it does seem a little fanfictiony, especially concerning the villain. I do think it would be better to see it as the play or see it adapted into a movie though honestly. It wasn't perfect but I don't think it was horrible either.

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
IMV books belong in Misc.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:36 AM   #7
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
Yeah, I got the script yesterday and have been readjng through it.

Its ok so far.
Not a return to form or otherwise really good but its passable I guess.
Not the biggest fan tbh but eh
I think the final two acts are much stronger than the first half. So I'd be interested hearing your thoughts when you're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggggg5 View Post
I'm a pretty huge HP fan. Have been since the first book and wouldn't have met my girlfriend without it. I really enjoyed the book, though it does seem a little fanfictiony, especially concerning the villain. I do think it would be better to see it as the play or see it adapted into a movie though honestly. It wasn't perfect but I don't think it was horrible either.
Spoiler: show
The villain is one of the major contentions I have with this. It seems like a total slap in the face to the continuity of the HP universe. Like I don't think it even makes sense. I don't think it'll ever become a movie due to the attachment of the characters to key actors (especially some of the characters who cameo within this). The play uses different actors/actresses and it works because it's a different medium but a movie would be overshadowed by 'they cast someone else as Harry' etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
IMV books belong in Misc.
Well the description of the 'Entertainment Forum' mentions books and there's a recently read book thread here so...
Old 08-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #8
Mercutio
Banned

They unarguably belong in Entertainment.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment