UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction

Old 11-24-2015, 12:56 AM   #1
Hanatori
Skippy.

Delibird UPN Secret Santa 2015: Because we don't make you work on Black Friday

Sign-ups and requests are now open until December 3rd! Yes, that's right, we've changed the dates this year. Even if you have participated in previous Secret Santas, be sure to read the rules as there are, as usual, a few changes around.
Presents threads: 2014 l 2013 l 2012 l 2011 ~ Main threads: 2014 l 2013 l 2012 l 2011

Yes, like the moment you realize you just saw a Christmas catalog in October, we've come to colonize November. Look out, UPN.

What am I reading?
This is the main thread for the fifth annual UPN Fanart and Fanfiction Secret Santa! To summarize, you send me a request for some fanwork, and somebody will be picked at random to do it for you. Alternately, you could be the one picked at random to do a request, or you could be both the requester and the volunteer.

Mind giving me the specifics there?
Keep reading...

FIRST: A QUICK NOTE ABOUT THE SPRITING CATEGORY
In an admittedly experimental last-minute decision, the Sprites category has been renamed Sprites and Graphics this year. Sprites still covers the same ground it always has - fusions, edits - while Graphics covers anything you might want to use as an avatar, banner, or cool image for your RP summary page. It doesn't have to be pixel art anymore, but it can be.

FOR VOLUNTEERS
There are two ways to pick up requests for Secret Santa. One of them, the Wild Card, will be detailed in a separate section below. The other way is to be a volunteer.
-You may sign up for Secret Santa as an artist, a writer, or a spriter by posting in this thread.
-Volunteers are required to answer three questions in addition to which request medium they would like to pick up: Whether they would like a maximum of one or two requests, whether they would like first pick of the Wild Card requests in case they do not receive a request from the RNG, and whether they would like to be notified if another request in their medium is abandoned. (The form will be in the main thread OP before the sign-up list, don't worry.)
-If you don't think you will have time to do two requests, you are encouraged to ask for just one - if you finish, still have time, and would like another request, there will always be Wild Cards.
-NEW THIS YEAR! IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO WORK ON YOUR REQUEST DUE TO TIME CONSTRAINTS AND WOULD LIKE SOMEBODY ELSE TO PICK IT UP: ...just PM me by December 18th and I'll notify the people who agreed to be asked if another request is unable to be completed, provided they have completed at least one request at the time. If nobody has agreed to pinch-hit (either because nobody said so in their volunteer posts or because nobody took the request), it will be posted in the main thread as if it were a Wild Card request - anybody can claim it, though they will obviously have to stick to the specified medium.
-Speaking of Wild Cards, in the event that there are not enough requests in a medium for every volunteer to receive a request, anybody who asked to have priority on Wild Cards will be PMed with a list of the Wild Card requests. If 72 hours pass and somebody who elected to pick a Wild Card still has yet to claim, the Wild Cards will be posted in the main thread.
-Once you finish your request, you can PM it to me.

FOR REQUESTERS
As there are two ways to volunteer for Secret Santa, there are two ways to request for Secret Santa. The Wild Card will be covered in the following section, but this section covers the more traditional Secret Santa requesting route.
-You are allowed one request, which must be in one of three media: Art, writing, or sprites.
-Requests here are to be worksafe, not too complicated, and vaguely Pokemon-related. They never have to be holiday related (though they can be.)
-Crossovers with other games, books, shows, comics etc. are allowed, but if you make such a request, you should provide some reference material and/or give your prospective volunteer another option, in case they don't have any clue what you're talking about when you ask for Peridot eating snacks with a Torterra.
-And no, you don't have to volunteer in order to make a request.
-This should finally go without saying, but PM your request to me. Don't post it in the main thread. That's what makes Secret Santa secret.

THE WILD CARD
The Wild Card is the second way to do Secret Santa, one that can be experienced separately from the above request-volunteer model or as a supplement to it. Wild Card request submissions are open to all members of UPN, regardless of whether they want to request for "normal" Secret Santa. Conversely, you do not have to be a volunteer in order to claim a Wild Card request. Everybody is allowed up to two Wild Card requests, and they differ from regular requests in the following ways:
-Requests must be about a general theme or subject (does not have to be Pokemon) and must be in the form of a short, nonspecific phrase. (Format examples: "Doduo," "Safari Zone," "Argument" but not "Doduo having an argument" or "Doduo arguing with itself in the Safari Zone." See last year's Wild Card post for more.)
-If you'd like to request characters from other fandoms, it's probably better off here, as somebody who likes the same thing can seek out your request.
-After PMs are sent to volunteers and any volunteers who receive no requests pick a Wild Card, a complete listing of Wild Card requests will be posted in the main thread. From there, everybody can claim up to two requests each. Requests are to be picked up via PM (hey, it's still Secret Santa), with the post to be updated a couple of times per day as requests are claimed. All claims will be on a first-come first-serve basis, and if you take a request that somebody else PMed me about an hour before you, I'll let you know. Wild Card requests can be carried out in any medium you can imagine - art, writing, sprites, music, theatre, gifs, photography, just anything. If you specifically want a drawing, you might want to go for the normal request.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can [USERNAME] do my request?
If they sign up and you get lucky with the RNG. (Alternatively, if they see your Wild Card and think, "Oh, that's super cool and something I want to draw.")

I can't draw/write/make graphics, should I bother?
If you want to and you have time, do it! Secret Santa should by no means be limited to art forum regulars, and a lot of the most positive feedback towards requests is directed towards people who don't post here often, or even at all. And if you want my opinion, seeing who else comes out to work on requests is one of the best parts of Secret Santa.

I can't make the request deadline!
I'm a bit flexible. If there's room in your chosen request medium and you come up only a few hours late, I can fit your request in.

Are there word count requirements for writing requests?
Only if your requester asks for a specific length/word count, there are no minimum requirements. Use as many words as you need.

I don't like this request!
Sorry, I don't reassign requests just because someone didn't like what they got.

I have a question about my request...
PM me. I'll ask your requester about it and get back to you.

Uh, what do I do if I can't get done by Christmas?
Post it in the presents thread when it's done, regardless of when that is. I do prefer that volunteers be certain before signing up that they will be able to do their requests, but things come up and matters are never quite certain three weeks ahead of time. Do what you can.

REMEMBER THE DATES!
The all-important Secret Santa schedule:

November 24th
Secret Santa main thread goes up, and volunteer sign-ups and request submissions begin.

December 3rd
Volunteer sign-ups and request submissions will be closed at 6 PM EST, to be confirmed by a post in the main thread. At that point, all requests will be assigned by RNG to volunteers, who will each receive a PM detailing their assignment. This process, in most years, has taken upwards of a couple hours, so be patient! If six or more hours pass from the confirmation post and you don't have your assignment, let me know! If no volunteers have chosen to have priority on Wild Card requests, another post will be made listing every single Wild Card request. From here, all UPNers looking to take Wild Card requests can PM their claims to me. (If there are volunteers that need to pick Wild Card requests, the post will come no later than December 6-7.)

December 18th
Deadline for volunteers to get their request reassigned if they are unable to carry it out. Details are in the For Volunteers section.

December 25th
All requests sent in by this deadline will be posted around late morning/early afternoon in a new thread, usually called the presents thread.

VOLUNTEER SIGN-UPS
Remember to answer the following questions:

Quote:
-What medium am I volunteering in?
-Would I like a maximum of one or two requests?
-Would I like priority on the Wild Card requests in case the RNG does not assign me a request?
-Would I like to be notified in case somebody else drops a request?
Writing Volunteers
Request Count: 3
1. phoopes
2. Mew the Gato
3. Emi
4. Lil'twick
5. biggggg5
6. Connor
7. KamenAeons
8. Crys

Art Volunteers
Request Count: 10
1. Sneaze
2. phoopes
3. Mew the Gato
4. Myles Fowl II
5. Emi
6. Hanatori
7. DaisyInari
8. Apollo77
9. KamenAeons
10. Crys

Sprites/Graphics Volunteers
Request Count: 3
1. Myles Fowl II
2. Apollo77
3. Machamp-X
4. Le Morg

Wild Card Request Count: 15

Quick recap of dates: December 3rd is when sign-ups end and assignments are sent out, which gives you until December 25th to finish and PM me your requests. On that day, all of the finished work will be posted in a new thread. If you have a question or would like to volunteer, post here! If you would like to make a request, send me a PM.

Last edited by Hanatori; 12-03-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Hanatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:01 AM   #2
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

I can write basic poetry or rehash songs. I can also semi-flood with art.

My body is not ready.

Should probably clarify: one writing, one drawing, no priority or notification.

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.

Last edited by KamenAeons; 11-24-2015 at 06:08 AM.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:37 AM   #3
Sneaze
Mrow?

Volunteering for the usual two art requests. No priority. No notification.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:13 AM   #4
phoopes
Double Dragon

I'll do one art and one writing request.

Don't give me priority/notification, however.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:44 AM   #5
Mew The Gato

One writing and one art request, along with priority and notification, please.
Mew The Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:30 AM   #6
Heather
Naga's Voice

Time to sentence myself to pain >_>

One Art request maximum, though it MAY be a Graphic so long as it isn't pixelart, so if it's an avi/banner, specify dimensions in pixels!
No priority on Wild Cards, and no notifications (I only have time for one thing!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
One art, one writing request. No priority, no notification.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #8
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Two writing requests, no priority, no notifications.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
Hanatori
Skippy.

Delibird

A couple notes on Wild Card requests: You can request up to 2-3 characters as long as you're not being more specific than that, and I'll allow you to link to something if it's a specific reference that would require a bit of explanation. It'll just be listed with the link, say if somebody requests "Thunder Armor" and includes a link to a screencap of it, I'll have it listed as Thunder Armor.

Throwing my hat in more officially: Art, two requests max, no priority but yes to notification.

And for future reference: If I don't reply to your request PM, you're doing it right and I didn't feel the need to clarify anything. If I do reply, you haven't necessarily done anything wrong. Thanks for the requests and sign-ups so far!
Old 11-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Sign me up for one art request! If I'm able to I'll sign up for more, but I don't want to disappoint anyone ;v; You can give me priority and notifications Hana :>

*looks at the commissions she still has to do and sighs*

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #11
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

I can take a writing request but no priority or notification.

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #12
Connor
Flashbacker

Happy to do a single writing piece again this year. Would like priority and notification.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:11 PM   #13
Apollo77
Done With Your Shit

Send a message via Skype™ to Apollo77
Not really feeling writing right now, so I think I'll try my hand at art instead!

One art request and one sprites/graphics request, no priority or notification.
Apollo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #14
Chalis
Activating Rampage

Well, I guess I could be a bit more active...

Two spriting requests, no priority, no notification.

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:01 PM   #15
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Sign me up for Graphics, one request!

Give me a Wild Card if there aren't enough requests!

Notify me if you need a pinch hitter!

WHERE MAKING THIS HAPEN

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #16
Hanatori
Skippy.

Delibird

Hello everyone, just a reminder that you still have until December 3rd to sign up and/or make your requests. Any questions on how to go about this are welcome in this thread.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #17
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Slap me on the writing and art lists pls, one request each.

Oh, and the Wild Card list should the rng wish so. Got to give back to this community ha ha
Old 12-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #18
Hanatori
Skippy.

Delibird

>Crys

Can I put you down for no pinch-hit then, since it wasn't specified?

Anyway, if you sent in a request last night/this morning and didn't get a PM back, you did it correctly.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #19
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Oh my bad. Yeah.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #20
Hanatori
Skippy.

Delibird

Cool, thanks for clarifying.

This is the point in Secret Santa where I tell you that there's just under a day left to send in your requests and volunteer! Unfortunately, I also have to warn you in advance that if I wake up in the morning and find a certain number too many art or spriting requests, I might have to shut things down and start rejecting further (or even already-made) requests. This happens; in some years, the number of requests in a category begins to equal the total number of requests that volunteers have indicated they are willing to take. With no further volunteers, the maximum request numbers for the art and spriting categories are 12 and 4. Writing requests are well away from their maximum (9) and Wild Cards will always be fine, as taking one is optional to begin with.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #21
Hanatori
Skippy.

Delibird

The people who PM'd me last night/this morning are all good and accounted for. Here's how today goes:

I'll keep accepting requests and sign-ups until 6 PM EST, at which point I will be firing up the RNG to assign requests to volunteers. PMs will be coming with your assignment(s) after this. Some of you might not receive a request, and if you asked for priority on Wild Cards, then you'll get a list of Wild Cards to choose from. If everybody who asked for priority receives a request, then Wild Cards will be posted here after PMs are sent out.

The process of assigning requests and sending out PMs usually takes at least a couple of hours - if it's been, say, 12 hours since I started sending out requests and you don't have your PM, let me know!
Old 12-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #22
Hanatori
Skippy.

Delibird

Request assignments have begun! In fact, it's pretty much over. Some notes about this year's request/RNG crop before PMs start going out:

-When I RNGed writing requests, priority was given to the volunteers who were in it strictly for writing, since everybody else already had a request. Request and volunteer numbers this year fell in such a way that all but one volunteer will receive exactly one request, with the remaining volunteer receiving two requests. This is a long-winded way of saying that Wild Cards will be posted in the main thread after PMs go out.
-There's a common theme running through quite a few art requests this year, and it should make for an interesting presents thread.
-Somebody has drawn a female recipient for at least a second year.

Last edited by Hanatori; 12-03-2015 at 06:41 PM. Reason: i take my secret santa factoids seriously officer
Old 12-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #23
Hanatori
Skippy.

Delibird

Assignments are out! A couple of reminders for all volunteers now that they have received their requests:

Quote:
-If you have questions about what your requester wants, PM me and I'll contact them for you.
-If you are unable to complete your request and would like me to give it to somebody else, you are to let me know by December 18th.
-All finished requests should be PMed to me, and everything received in this manner will be posted in a separate "presents thread" on December 25th.
Wild Card prompts are ready for posting, so a few notes about that:

Quote:
-Anybody, including people not on the volunteer list, can claim up to two Wild Card requests each. Claims are to be made via PM for MAXIMUM SECRECY.
-Claims will be handled on a first-come-first-serve basis, so if you ask for, say, "Scarf" a minute after somebody else sent in their PM, you're out of luck and I'll let you know as much.
-Wild Card requests can be completed in any format you want.
In the spoiler, in a handy list format, to be crossed out when they are claimed... are the Wild Card prompts:
Celestial
Dragons
Dreams Time Heroes
Electrical
Fall Festival
Female!Shulk
Graves (League of Legends)
Indiana Jones and Grave's Cigar
Jintsuu/Light Cruiser Princess
Kancolle/Jello
Orbit
Petals
Scarf
Splatoon
You Can't Get Ye Flask (THIS IS A TV TROPES LINK!!! —ED.)

Last edited by Hanatori; 12-19-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:48 AM   #24
Sneaze
Mrow?

Hana for everyone's sanity I'm officially requesting that you put a TVTropes warning on that last wildcard link.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #25
Hanatori
Skippy.

Delibird

(It's been a while since Sneeze made his request, but yes, there's a TV Tropes warning on that link now.)

Here to post a reminder that anybody who will not have time to complete their request and would like somebody else to take it has until the end of December 18th to let me know. If you've been considering a Wild Card request, there's still a few prompts available.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction