UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 01-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #126
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: big bad birtha's suggestion box 2: secret passions unveiled

Just finished Prince of Tennis Nationals OAV (13 episodes long). It was decent. The good news is, they did what fans of the show had been clamoring for -- they took matches between athletes and contained them within one episode. The good news about this was that we covered a lot of ground (two full teams) in just 13 episodes. (Usually 13 episodes, if you were lucky, would get you through just one team. Much more normal for it to cover only 60-75% of one team.) The bad news about this was that we've gotten so accustomed to the way TeniPuri tells the story long-and-drawn-outedly that, even though we bitched for change, the change felt really awkward. There were a lot of times I caught myself thinking, "Man, I sort of wish that had been a two-parter and we could have seen more tennis from both sides. " xfd @ fans like me and the poor position they place Studio Pierrot in.

Rather than starting on Clannad, Wolf & Spice, or other Fall 2007 and Winter 2008 series, I'm thinking about (in between med school and daily life) starting Monster. I've put it off for long enough, there aren't really that many shows right now grabbing my attention, and the only show I've significantly started (and so won't put down) is Kaiji (plus Kaiji rocks so why would I put it down!?). So ... probably going to start Monster later tonight or tomorrow. We'll see.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #127
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Monster is really good. I personally like the manga more, but the anime isn't much worse. Anyway, it's like 79? episodes, so it takes up a lot of room HDD-wise and time-wise.

Anyway, I started downloading and watching Futari Wa Pretty Cure and it's not so bad. It's like watching a show that combines a bit of DBZ, Sailor Moon, and a tiny bit of Power Rangers. The fights are definitely cooler than original Sailor Moon and the characters are definitely less annoying than Usagi-chan. Fights are still won with "combining our might~!" which basically means they hold hands and shoot super powerful kamehameha, except Cure White shoots white blasts and Cure Blast shoots black blasts.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #128
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I already have it all burned to DVD; the issue is time.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #129
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"YES! Yes, yes, YES!" - me irl just now, and then I shut myself up because I realized I was being too loud and the neighbors might mistake it for something naughty O_o;

Tales of Symphonia wins it by a hair! It looks like the Gundam fans either (a) happened to rally around midday or (b) may have gotten some insider information about Lloyd kicking their asses and attempted to stage a coup. Regardless, as the graph shows, one vote made all the difference, and Lloyd won.

I was one of those votes. My vote made a difference. You could say my vote made the difference.

YES. First SaiGar 2008 win I've been unsure about the victor, have cared about, and have ended up winning. I've never had all three happen before tonight. Oh yeah.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #130
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

Wow, that's pretty awesome. I didn't think Jesus Yamato would get many votes, but thought he could end up winning since this was a low voter round. But I've got one word to describe the match - crucified!

Next round for me will be Ladd Russo and Kenpachi. Ken's an OK candidate, but his opponents are pretty close to trash (Potemayo? ). Ladd is extremely awesome; I wasn't partial to him at first, but at the end of Baccano! he showed he had all the stellar qualities I prize in a Gar character.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #131
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm done voting until the first match of the 2nd Round matches. But I've already loaded up my vote for today and it just needs 2 more mintues before I can vote, so ... anyone you need me to vote for? Ladd and Kenpachi, is it? Whatever. Dunno who they are, but I can lend you my vote tonight for them.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:43 PM   #132
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

My thanks. I'll be through following until the second round as well - too many of these matches are dangerous for my taste, i.e. the Alucard, Lord Genome, and Giovanni matches.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #133
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't understand how Giovanni has such a following and will be voting against him at ever corner. How is he gar!? Just because you like Pokemon doesn't make him gar. Show me where he was gar in Seasons 1-4. Show me where he's been gar since I quit watching. I doubt he's become gar, and he was never gar in the first place. He was just an asshole.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:08 AM   #134
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I have watched a few episodes. =D Here are my thoughts.

Kaiji 14 (yea, I have put this off for a while.)- OMFG! This episode was awesome. Err....don't know any spoiler-free ways of describing it, so I'll stop there.

H2O~ Footprints in the Sand~ 4- This episode was pretty pointless, but something has been revealed that I have kind of wanted to know. What is going to be great is the next episode. This was left at kind of a cliffhanger.

I have downloaded episode 15 of Shana II. I have also downloaded episode 41 of Hayate, so expect my thoughts when I watch them.

(Also, how's my adorable new avatar? =3 I'm just trying this out though. I will most likely switch back to Ayu in time.)
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:59 AM   #135
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
I don't understand how Giovanni has such a following and will be voting against him at ever corner. How is he gar!? Just because you like Pokemon doesn't make him gar. Show me where he was gar in Seasons 1-4. Show me where he's been gar since I quit watching. I doubt he's become gar, and he was never gar in the first place. He was just an asshole.
It's a long, complicated story.

A while ago, the 4.5M GET on /a/ (on appearance) was a parody of Twelve Kingdoms featuring the characters from Azumanga Daioh, but for whatever reason, either a server error or whatnot, when clicked that picture would detour to a picture of Giovanni knocking out a Chansey. The GET was considered horrible because /v/ had an influence on it, but the surprise Giovanni picture struck a lot of people as very funny. Somebody then realized that Chansey had some of the highest hit points of any Pokemon ever, and for a normal human - especially a businessman-type clandestine leader who shouldn't be getting out much - to defeat a Pokemon like that with his bare hands impressed a lot of people. Such awe was inflamed when someone else posted pictures of a Giovanni "excursion", where he wore a Tauros skin loin-cloth and ran around in a jungle, mingling with/beating up various Pokemon, swinging from vines and jumping off of a cliff just to out-dive an Aerodactyl. Such images earned him the title, "a buffet of manliness" and from then on many shops were made of Giovanni punching things /a/ didn't like, such as Haruhi, Lucky Star, various trolls, and such. Not long after that, he started punching annoying memes, and that was when he became REALLY popular. The first example was Pimp Ed, which is a borrowed idea from Futaba where an Edward Elric picture that came from Ed sprawled out on a couch was shopped onto various girls, men, whatever, to show "how much of a pimp" Ed was, like so. Most didn't expect the outcome and were very pleased. However, Pimp Ed was but the beginning, and was actually overshadowed by the big explosion of Giovanni love - when he fought Cirno.

People were annoyed with the Touhou fanbase and felt it had over-stayed its welcome on /a/. They were especially fed up with Cirno, who became a poster girl for the franchise because of ZUN's biography comment in one of the instruction manuals, allegedly because of Cirno's legendary stupidity - "?: Idiot". Cirno was so popular as "?" her likeness was the subject of fan-art, particularly my avatar, the whole image of which features Cirno in the classic "PROMOTIONS" pose. This particular image, which was the best drawn and cutest of the ELC fanart, angered a lot of people whenever it appeared. So someone shopped Giovanni onto it, and all heck broke lose between the Touhou fans and Giovanni folk, who weren't very large at the time but became more famous after the fact. This new "rivalry" became rather famous (or infamous), and soon pictures of Giovanni and Cirno slugging it out in the boxing ring started to appear. Some folks attempted to create a pairing out of the two (as in this case) but they're more frequently portrayed in fan art as rivals, an even more commonly, with Cirno living near Giovanni and annoying the heck out of him.

The final boost of fame came from something called "Card Crusher", a format from a Japanese video of a guy named "Rude Dude" who crumples this lady's business card after she gives it to him. Most Card Crusher edits were done in MS Paint and sucked, but to curb the suckiness one really taleneted fellow did a parody featuring (who else?) Giovanni and Cirno. It's probably the funniest Card Crusher ever, but since it's an inside joke it'll probably be wasted on most people. The original one done by a Japanese artist (before the imitations appeared) can be found (right to left) here, see the Giovanni x Cirno one here.

So that's the history, in a nut-shell. Basically, Giovanni became famous because of a GET, and various fanart productions (my personal favourite being this) appeared and fanart/original doujin work always excites people. The little fan-made story between Ed, Giovanni, Cirno and recently Lord Genome (who had a guitar duel with him, a la the Guitar Ninjas from Princess Tutu) created a sort of "fictional Gar" character. He's not Gar in the Pokemon series so much as /a/ has made him a hero unofficially, and once in a while more fanart comes out and that just makes people love him more (myself included). So in a sense, we gained a bit of the Japanese Touhou mind-set with a few characters gone meme.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-27-2008, 01:13 AM   #136
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Suisei Seki : SaiMoe :: Giovanni : SaiGar

Gotcha.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:23 AM   #137
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Is that so? I never made it past the first episode of Rozen Maiden's first season, so I don't know much about her role in the story - is her popularity really from doujin depiction? I know that's frequently the case with Nanoha and the alleged lesbian pairings between Nanoha and Fate, but I didn't know that was the case with Suiseiseki. I thought people liked her because she acted like a Yamato Nadeshiko.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-27-2008, 01:37 AM   #138
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Do you even know who Yamato Nadeshiko is? >_> One does not simply act like the perfect Japanese bride; one either is or is not the perfect Japanese bride. And Suisei Seki is a far cry from most Japanese or white males' perfect bride. (Even if she is my 2nd favorite Rozen Maiden right behind Suigin Tou.)

No, what I meant was, 4chan catapulted Suisei Seki to victory in Saimoe 2006 based purely on her memetic popularity, and I'm beginning to fear that the same is about to take place with Giovanni. Yeah, it's all good fun that a 4chan meme can compete with serious Garsident candidates, but it's not funny when he starts knocking out legitimate candidates. (Hell, he already did -- Kratos Aurion was the first casualty of this meme's nonsense.)

Maybe you don't realize this, but Suisei Seki did not win SaiMoe 2006 because "the Internets" voted for her. No; instead what happened was that 4chan campaigned heavily for her, more or less invaded the then-almost-entirely-Japanese SaiMoe contest, and cast hundreds of ballots for Suisei Seki. This is why the Japanese moe freaks hate us Westerners so much -- because (to them) some dumb Rozen Maiden won a contest that belonged to superior candidates.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:36 AM   #139
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Do you even know who Yamato Nadeshiko is? >_> One does not simply act like the perfect Japanese bride; one either is or is not the perfect Japanese bride. And Suisei Seki is a far cry from most Japanese or white males' perfect bride. (Even if she is my 2nd favorite Rozen Maiden right behind Suigin Tou.)
I do. But to my knowledge, Suiseiseki's popularity in Japan was because she acted so much like the perfect wife, and how she ended her sentences just seasoned the appeal. Then again I haven't seen the show proper so for all I know she could be tsundere or something worse.

Quote:
No, what I meant was, 4chan catapulted Suisei Seki to victory in Saimoe 2006 based purely on her memetic popularity, and I'm beginning to fear that the same is about to take place with Giovanni. Yeah, it's all good fun that a 4chan meme can compete with serious Garsident candidates, but it's not funny when he starts knocking out legitimate candidates. (Hell, he already did -- Kratos Aurion was the first casualty of this meme's nonsense.)
That's a misconception, actually. I can speak about this from having taken part in SaiMoe 2006 - very few, if any, 4channers took part in it. Fifty tops; most of the topics were ignored, only getting a couple posts until after the results for the final were announced, whereby people got pissed. SaiMoe 2006's controversial vote was one of the founding reasons SaiGar came into being. Just between you and me, I voted Suiseiseki for SaiMoe 2006 because I vehemently despise Nanoha and anything related to it- up until then, I voted for Eruru, Shana, Rin and even Shinku - anyone but a Nanoha character.

Most of the consistent SaiMoe voting bloc comes from AnimeSuki, who churned out two hundred votes in 2006 and between five and six hundred in 2007. I've forgotten the rankings for SaiMoe 2006, but the margin was decent, I think Suiseiseki would have won even without aid from AnimeSuki. The situation changes drastically for 2007, where from the data released by the SaiMoe coordinators, Nagi would have won SaiMoe by a two hundred vote safety net, until the foreign votes are factored in, most tracked to AnimeSuki. A hundred people from there voted Nagi, four hundred voted for Rika, which angered the Japanese as well. For SaiGar, the three hundred vote large voting bloc is 70% from NarutoFan users and 30% GaiaOnline, with nearly all AnimeSuki voters being 4channers themselves.

As for Giovanni, I consider him a semi-legitimate candidate, moreso than "Bruce Ironstaunch" anyway. He's got some credibility in the Pokemon show even if his deeds are exaggerated, and the fictional story makes for a better vote than some other candidates (particularly the other jokes, like KONATA of all creatures). Not saying Kratos, since I don't know much about him, but clearly far better than Andou/Dango/Rika/Makoto. If Giovanni wasn't in that match, I think Negi would have pulled it since there's bias against game adapted anime and against not widely seen shows. With Jonathan Joestar in the opposite bracket, a low voter turn-out for the right seems unlikely, and high votes are death to not well known candidates. Once the candidates get past their first round, people think to themselves "well, if this character got past the first round, maybe there's something to him after-all" and they actually start to research. This was what popularised Akagi last year and will probably help Baccano! and Seto no Hanayome this time around. This was why I wanted Hiroshi to win - I want Jeeg to be better known. Hiroshi just needed to win one round to get Jeeg known, that was all I could ask for. A topic not made by me appeared today and I was quite happy, since it tells me my campaigning wasn't totally worthless.

Lloyd's victory today was contingent on a number of factors; people voting against Jesus, people voting FOR ToS, people voting on Gar and the low voter turnout overall because some folks don't care unless a character is from "Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann". I voted for Lloyd on two grounds; against Jesus, and for Gar, since by your testament Kratos was an excellent vote and from what I read on Lloyd, he wasn't a bad choice either.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #140
Loki

Jeez Doppleganger. For a guy who keeps saying 4channers are tards, you seem to know a ridiculously large amount of information about them and the stupid things they do.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #141
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That's because he is a 4channer. Duh.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #142
Loki

I know that >>;; But for someone to say how they don't like 4channer and then go and hang around their forums all the time seems hypocritical.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #143
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's why I keep plugging iichan. In the hopes that he'll choose our community (despite our many shortcomings) over the Mos Eisley that is 4chan. Anyway ...

I forgot to mention that I watched Kaiji 16 last night. It was pretty good. E-Card seems like it's way too similar to the first story arc, so (1) band news is, it's hard to get worked up over it, but (2) good news is, it looks like the anime team is aware of that problem and that the story arc will be done in just 2-3 more episodes. I say this because Kaiji has already completed 2 of his 12 rounds and we spent the first 2/3 of the episode explaining the situation. So I figure we'll get through at least 3 rounds an episode, possibly more. Also, as in the show, each round is limited to 5 minutes, so theoretically they'd have to go faster unless they want to slow down time. And Kaiji has been pretty good so far about trying to maintain the relationship between how much time passes within the show and how much airtime has passed (e.g. Espoir lasted 7 episodes and was about 4 hours to the men onboard; crossing the beam, the men had about 2 hours and it was accomplished by Kaiji in about 3 episodes; etc).

I'm looking forward to seeing Kaiji defeat Tonegawa (as we know he must) simply because it will mean that we're that much closer to the mafia leader (I've forgotten his name again already >_<) formally employing Kaiji as his representative in gambling affairs.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #144
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaDevourer
I know that >>;; But for someone to say how they don't like 4channer[s] and then go and hang around their forums all the time seems hypocritical.
I don't see what's hypocritical. I can think for myself, right? Just because I'm a 4channer doesn't mean I have to subscribe to their ridiculous "hive mind" all of the time - sufficient lurking is enough for people to get a grasp of the place, but the key is to not get swept up in it, especially since there's a lot of un-desirable views that would be absolutely dreadful to passively internalize (the Nietzsche quote best applies here). Even then, most of the dissent with Yotsuba related issues stems from it's long term illness - cancer, or the continual growth of the place and leaking of the inside jokes. If SaiGar was simply the light hearted but still serious little anime festival of a few boards, I couldn't complain, but becoming some large-scale commercial troll infestation is just frown inducing.

This only applies to /a/, though. I either don't care for or hate the other boards, specifically /b/ because of the bad reputation and ire that board invokes by simply being the largest and most noisy. It's almost a visual representation of chaos, and that plus racism, pornography, and malicious cruelty just disgust me.

Quote:
It's why I keep plugging iichan. In the hopes that he'll choose our community (despite our many shortcomings) over the Mos Eisley that is 4chan. Anyway ...
It worked, actually. I've been visiting there more frequently when I'm at home.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #145
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Cool. I dunno if you'll recognize my posts all the time, though, since I post as one Anon amongst many, but if it's really lengthy, I'd say there's a 1-in-5 chance it's me. (I think there's about 5 of us who write tomes. Not quite certain.) I'm pretty vocal in News, Anime, Cute Females, and as vocal as I need to be in about half of the hentai channels.

lol if we ever get in nasty arguments and don't realize it XD

If you're ever in the hentai channels (and don't want to admit it here ) , you'll know it's me who's helped you out or argued with you if the format of my help posts looks like this one. (NSFW)

Maybe so you know it's me, I'll start using a subtle code, like ... like the inclusion of some word. Hmm. Can't think of one that's neither too common nor too rare. We'll see.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #146
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

This just in: Cloe is an anime-original character. More on this story at 11:00...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-27-2008, 11:25 PM   #147
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
This just in: Cloe is an anime-original character. More on this story at 11:00...
What?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:19 AM   #148
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

PROMOTIONS! =D Sry ;_; I wanted to try it out. I know this is a strange and stupid question, but does the whole promotions thing have anything to do with showing your boss a bunch of NSFW pictures? My chat buddies have yelled "PROMOTIONS!" at random times and shown that Cirno pic. When I asked what the hell was up with it, all I got was "Birtha, show your boss a bunch of NSFW pictures and get promoted." (that's right, they actually spell out one of my names ) I was too confused to say anything more.

I had to work today, so no new episodes. However, I have found a series that I'll watch after OER (if I can get to watching it >.>) That series is Bottle Fairy =D OMG, is it cute. I don't know if it will be a good anime or not, but it does guarantee adorableness, and that's good enough for me. I mean, look at this! X3

One more thing and I'll shut up. If I say anything strange in the next few days, please disregard it. I don't mean the stupid stuff that I usually say. I mean anything that is out of character. I have had these fits of depression the past few days, and I might say something that just isn't me. However, I have better control of them than usual, so I most likely will not.

Everyone: Hey, guess what! I don't ****ing care!

I thought that was the case. I'll shut up now.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:29 AM   #149
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It sounds like most of your Touhou friends are 4channers. o.o In any matter, I'd post lurk's entry on promo but since it's in the /v/ section, I had no part of it and it's rather poorly written. So I'll have to give you my own summary. For the record, that Cirno image is in-complete since the original one had her wings as well.

"Promotions" derives from the fact that on the work-safe (no nudity) boards of Yotsuba, people who want to get banned post not safe for work images, often to the chagrin of those who don't want to see them (like myself). The joke is that if someone was caught seeing not safe for work pictures while at work, that person would be fired, or someone in management above him would get fired. So, phrases like "I just got promoted" implies that, after just moving up the corporate ladder the fellow is fired, or that the firing of the manager leaves a slot open for that fellow to move up.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #150
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Bottle Fairy is a cute, okay show. I watched it in Spring 2006. The larger your knowledge of Japanese culture, the better, but then again, it's a show targeted towards children ages 4-6 in Japan (by my personal assessment), so it actually does a decent job of teaching those very cultural elements I'm saying you'd do well to know in advance. In other words ... you might learn quite a bit of fun trivia from this series.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime