UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

View Poll Results: Will you be sitting out spoilers for Gen 7?
Yes! No spoilers for me this time! 5 26.32%
No! I love learning the latest news during pre-release season! 14 73.68%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Will you be sitting out spoilers this time? Gen 7 edition

In 2011, I created a thread to share my personal experience with Generations 2, 4, 5, and the role that spoilers played in each of these generations. If you haven't read it before, give the OP post a read; it'll give you a good idea for what we're on about here in this thread.

Then, in 2013, I created a formal poll for the community about the 2011 discussion topic. Sure, I'd sourced people's opinions in 2011, but opinions can change, right? And with the new Gen 6 games right around the corner, it seemed appropriate to create a new poll and bring awareness to this topic once again. 35 members voted, and the community seemed split pretty much 50-50 between wanting spoilers and wanting to avoid them.

Now it's 2016, and once again we have a brand-new generation on our doorstep: Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon! People are happy. They're excited to see where these new games will take us, what surprises they have in store. ... But not everyone wants to find out from CoroCoro and the Internet. ^^; As always, you've got some people who adore information leaks and others who feel like they just plain ruin the games for them.

So what about you? :o What are your plans for Generation 7's pre-release season? Are you planning to avoid spoilers? Or do you plan to lap up every little morsel leaked to the public between now and Holiday 2016?

Last edited by Talon87; 02-27-2016 at 10:18 AM. Reason: I can do basic math, I swear.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I'm more than okay with stuff released by Nintendo that they want the public to know about. But for leaks and stuff like that...I'm probably going to be taking more of a backseat on it myself, personally. I'm not going to try and remain spoiler-free adamantly though.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
Going in spoiler-free is fun, yes, but I browse enough pokemon media that trying to avoid all of it would just be a hassle. I'm not going to go expressly looking, but I don't particularly mind if stuff about them gets spoiled to me.

That and the fact it might well be subject to change, knowing my tendency to go spoil myself on details sometimes regardless.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I never sit out spoilers (hell, I actively seek them out!) and this time will be no different. Leaves me free to not worry about what I look at on Pokémon sites, and keeps my ever-ravenous thirst for new info satiated.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #5
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

I went in knowing spoilers for XY/ORAS, and that won't change this time. I want to know how the games are like, so that way I can make a decision whether to skip out Sun and Moon or buy them.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

When asked how Gen 6 compared, I had this to say about my excitement while playing Pokémon Y for the first time:

Quote:
Not sure how much is Gen 6 and how much is me avoiding spoilers but I don't think I've been quite this excited while playing since Gen 2. Particularly exciting pre-Gym 2 when you've played for 20-30 hours, still have only one gym badge, and imagine that this Story Mode may be 150 hours long. (Sadly no. ^^; ;p)
Ten months later, when ranking Gen 6 within the pantheon of Pokémon generations, I had this to say:
Quote:
I've said it before, I'll say it again: Pokémon Y is in many ways the Pokémon game of my childhood dreams. So many things I'd been asking Game Freak for for years now were finally delivered in X and Y. True 3D graphics. Vivid colors. A game that looks and feels like "I am playing the anime in real time." (We've had anime-faithful character designs since Pokémon Yellow, but an anime-faithful graphics engine didn't happen until now.) The game is so breathtaking and so much fun to explore that while most players complained of its relatively short completion time (reporting 20 to 30 hours?), I took over 80 hours to beat the game, in absolutely no rush to clear it, enjoying my stay in Poké-France and lapping up every last droplet of every corner of the world. The game isn't perfect. It has its flaws, as do all the games in the Pokémon franchise. But it's the pinnacle of the series to date. If Gen 1 is subjectively rated my favorite generation, X and Y would be rated the best overall titles.
I think a lot of my love for Generation 6 is credited to its innate properties, ranging from its overworld graphics and battle engine to its French setting and all the landmarks I remember from my childhood studies of la France. But I think another big factor in the "first impressions form lasting impressions" category for why I love this generation so much ... is the fact that I avoided spoilers as best I could during pre-release and on into October, November, and December before I had the chance to complete the game for myself. I've hated spoilers for many years now, and it wasn't until after Black and White came out that I started to realize that my previous pre-release habits of soaking up all the information Serebii reported were damaging my enjoyment of the games.

I know not everyone feels the same as me. But for anyone who does, I have this to say:

You absolutely must do yourself this favor and avoid as many spoilers as you can. =)

The single greatest gift I gave to myself for Generation 6 was avoiding spoilers as best I could. Not knowing the majority of the creatures ahead of time allowed me to be truly surprised by them when I first discovered them during the course of normal gameplay. It made me want to explore the tall grass, for the first time in years. Not knowing who the gym leaders were, what they looked like or what types they represented, made each and every introduction a lasting one. Not knowing which French landmarks had made it into the games and which hadn't made the entire game a wondrous experience of exploration and discovery. (And the sheer level of recognizable landmarks that did make it in made Kalos such a joy!) While I knew of the Fairy type's existence, I did not know the full list of which creatures got retyped to be Fairy nor did I know what Fairy's resistances, weaknesses, effectivenesses, and ineffectivenesses were. That experience I had with Jasmine's Steelix, not knowing whether my attacks would be effective or not and not knowing why they were being effective or ineffective? I got to relive that experience with XY, each and every time I fought against Fairies or used Fairy-type attacks of my own. It was wonderful.

Everyone draws the line somewhere different, and even I have a couple of things I don't mind knowing ahead of time. I'm much excited to know which country the region is based off of, so I'll probably go seeking that information out. I don't want to know ahead of time that the game is an all-regions-in-one adventure, because it was epic discovering that for myself with the Tohjo Falls in Gold and Silver, but I also know it isn't very realistic of me to expect to not get spoiled about something that momentous in 2016. Those sorts of things aside, though, I'd like to go in as unspoiled as possible. Since they didn't even bother to include starters in the Pokémon Direct, I might even try to avoid that information. (Good luck! ) We'll see.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I always avoid spoilers.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:30 PM   #8
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
I should avoid them, but I'm too information hungry to do so.

Plus you know some little shit it going to spam Sun/Moon info in just about every TO they visit because there always has to be that guy.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #9
satosere
Cascade Badge

I really don't like spoilers. I mean that's what spoiler bars are for.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #10
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I think I'm gonna give it a try this time. The only spoilers I'm going to look for are the Starters....maybe their evolutions (though those typically don't come out until closer to/during launch).
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
tbh, I haven't wholly ever cared about spoilers. I like to know what's going to be beating the absolute crap out of me, and sometimes knowledge is nothing if you get jack-shit to work with. Think first gym being like, Dragon. Starter's no help unless they change the type triangle, and I doubt anything else would be worth getting.

Currently finding this in my Red run where I picked Charmander and now I have nothing for the first gym.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #12
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Something, something, Mankey.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #13
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

You don't get Mankey in Red till like, after Mt Moon. After a bit of looking around, it appears I am royally boned.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #14
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I soloed Brock with Charmander. Kinda had to- the earliest I was able to catch something else I wanted for my team wasn't until after Mt. Moon. It's not that hard in this one- Brock's team is devoid of any Rock or Ground moves, and Ember, while resisted, still targets Geodude and Onix's abysmal Special stats. Just don't attack Onix when it's using Bide, and the Boulder Badge is as good as yours.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:27 PM   #15
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Oh ok. Yeah, I need to train charmander, been focusing on Kakuna. I don't think charmander's hit level 8 yet.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #16
Heather
Naga's Voice

If you had yellow I would say go for Nido-F's level 12 Double Kick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #17
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Yeah, Yellow gives you some good options. Nidoran's Double Kick, Mankey's Low Kick, even Butterfree's Confusion.

That said, I've actually soloed Brock with Pikachu once or twice. Obviously not recommended, and not easy by any stretch of the imagination, but still doable.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:11 PM   #18
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I think I'm going to do what I did last time - accept any spoilers given officially but avoid the spoilers that crop up between the Japanese release and the English one.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #19
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I avoided spoilers for Gen 5, because I intended to play it. That was the last Pokemon title I recall that could be emulated effectively (and I still have desume on this computer!).

I didn't care about Gen 6 because I couldn't play it. I still don't know anything about it, except that Zinnia is just a pretty face (*cough*).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:51 PM   #20
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
I might actually try it this time, though I would like to know the starters and the box legendaries at least. Maaaaybe the new version exclusives as well.
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:53 PM   #21
phoopes
Double Dragon

For the first time ever, I'm tempted to sit out spoilers. I went into both FE: Awakening and FE: Fates with no spoilers and I feel like it improved the experience by like 1000%. However, knowing me, and knowing that I spend a lot of time on here and Smogon, I'll probably end up spoiling myself like usual.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:37 AM   #22
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
I think I'm going to do what I did last time - accept any spoilers given officially but avoid the spoilers that crop up between the Japanese release and the English one.
Didn't they say it was a worldwide release?
Old 02-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #23
Snorby
Snackin'

I'm not gonna actively avoid spoilers, but I'm not really gonna seek 'em out, either.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #24
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Yeah, neither option really fits me. I'm fine with spoilers, but I ain't going to be hunting them down or anything. Not really fussed about getting all the latest everything
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:59 PM   #25
Emp
Volcano Badge

I’m going spoiler-free again for sure.

While actively avoiding spoilers after the first CoroCoro reveal or so, I’d say I had about 30% of the Kalos dex spoiled for me, so it was really fun discovering the other 70% by myself. This time I’m going to see if I can find out even less. I can imagine how awesome it would be picking my starter based on my very first impression, although I was sorely disappointed when my Chespin (who is one of the coolest designed first form starters we’ve had for a while) evolved into Chesnaut (IMO the fugliest final form of every starter Pokémon).

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON