UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 03-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #7451
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
More like the story was canned after 5 volumes. Kadokawa might be the LN monopoly but there's no shortage of fresh new entries into its ranks every month. It's not as brutal and political as the manga market is, but it's still a competitive job market.
A good alternative explanation were it not for the sequel. If you were 100% correct, then Kadokawa would never have greenlit the sequel. The fact that they did -- and that the sequel is ongoing -- suggests that the project was in as much "canned" as, say, a concluded Index would have been canned in the wake of Railgun's popularity. Which is to say -- I could still be right about the author wrapping things up on his own terms.

I dunno. Hard to say without reading/watching it ourselves (and making quality judgments), interviewing others, reading interviews and press statements, etc. But I doubt it was outright canceled because "it's a jungle out there." The jungle doesn't have room for sequels to dead weight.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:52 PM   #7452
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
For works designed to make money, first and foremost, the progenitor series is cheap and disposable. A sequel in this case might be more of a "reboot" rather than a sequel proper, since the first series might not have had enough material to sustain itself very long.

It's a bit of a stretch, but consider Nanoha as an example of this. Nanoha was originally a normal, minor character in Triangle Heart 3, the third edition of the Triangle Heart eroge franchise. The previous two titles featured entirely different casts, but all three had the same basic plot of a main guy and two girls fighting over him. There was incest too (not between Nanoha's brother and Nanoha, but Nanoha's older sister).

The earlier Triangle Heart titles didn't have enough material worth sequel, which is why the premise got rebooted with newer graphics and an updated system each generation. Nanoha, technically a sequel to Triangle Heart 3 as it takes place during and after it, has had a multitude of sequels and spinoffs on its own, all original material. There were limits to the Triangle Heart premise designed to sell sex. No such limits existed for Nanoha.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:19 AM   #7453
Talon87
時の彼方へ

High School of the Dead was a joint effort from two brothers -- Satou Daisuke, who wrote the story, and his younger brother Shouji who illustrated it and designed the characters. Shouji had already made a name for himself on the eromanga scene as erodoujin artist Inazuma, whose circle name was Digital Accel Works. You may remember the brothers' work best, as I do, from this one scene:

Well, love HotD or hate it, sad news: the elder brother, Daisuke, has passed away due to ischemic heart failure. He was just shy of 53 years old. I'd never watched HotD myself, zombie stories typically not being my cup of tea; but I know a lot of people enjoyed it and were wanting closure that the first season did not provide. Unfortunately, it now seems like that closure may never come -- or, if it does come, comes too late for its original author.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #7454
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Youjo Senki 12

NUUUUUUUUT!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-12-2017, 12:07 AM   #7455
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

There's something weird going on in cyberspace.

I've found two English covers of anime OPs, and they've been superior to the original. I can't tell if it's the quality of the English artists, the not quality of the Japanese artists, or some combo of both. Usual covers are kind of amateurish, but these are outright superior to the originals

"Clattanoia", Overlord (JP)
"Clattanoia" (ENG)

"Jingo Jungle", Youjo Senki (JP)
"Jingo Jungle" (ENG)
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-12-2017, 01:19 AM   #7456
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
There's something weird going on in cyberspace.

I've found two English covers of anime OPs, and they've been superior to the original. I can't tell if it's the quality of the English artists, the not quality of the Japanese artists, or some combo of both. Usual covers are kind of amateurish, but these are outright superior to the originals
You've piqued my curiosity.

Quote:
"Jingo Jungle", Youjo Senki (JP)
"Jingo Jungle" (ENG)
The problems here are,
  1. the original is so terribly AutoTuned and cacophonous to begin with, and despite passing her voice through some filters the English singer noticeably uses less AutoTune / sounds more natural
  2. the original song lyrics are over 50% English, so of course a native English speaker is going to ace it better than an Engrishy Japanese singer
But I dislike the song, which makes this one tough to judge. Next! ^^;

Quote:
"Clattanoia", Overlord (JP)
"Clattanoia" (ENG)
Once again, you submit a terribly AutoTuned original for my perusal. It's sad to see that T-Pain levels of AutoTune abuse have finally reached otakudom's shores, but I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later in the nation that produced Vocaloid and AKB48. :\ This song at least is a lot more enjoyable, so there's hope for my ability to actually discern a victor!

Well, this song -- just like the last one -- is around 50% English to begin with. So the native English speaker gets an automatic edge there on the lyrics you, the native English listener, are more attuned to. And just like the last cover artist, this young man uses fewer filters than the Japanese singer and consequently might sound more authentic or wholesome to your ears.

In conclusion, I think you might have cherrypicked some songs here for your point. I don't see this as some general "anime trend" of late, although admittedly I haven't watched comparatively much anime in the past two years. I think these particular two songs are predisposed to suit your theorem, because of 1) the severe degree of AutoTuning in the originals and 2) the higher-than-average amount of English words present in the song lyrics.

If we were to look at other songs ... well heck, the first thing that came to my mind was "to the beginning" (Fate/Zero OP2) and I found this horrendous cover that's so poor it's not even in the right key! Now okay, that one is especially bad (and proves your point about the two covers you linked being surprisingly solid! ), but ... I don't think it's much of an exception, but rather the ongoing rule. I severely doubt we've reached an age where covers are generally better than their originals; and if we have entered into such an age, it can only be because while I've been sleeping the whole of anime has decided to go full "Kuusou Mesorogiwi" on us. (Which, aside, I consider to be a very catchy and fun song. I'm just going for the initial impression of cacophony here, as well as the obvious use of multiple filters to achieve different sounds.)

Obligatory replug: Takahashi Chiaki performs "Tonari ni" live, and then does it again with a symphony orchestra
Old 04-12-2017, 01:31 AM   #7457
Talon87
時の彼方へ

More Chiaking, just to prove a point: "Mythmaker" from THE IDOLM@STER M@STERS OF IDOL WORLD 2014.

Going to be hard for your average English-speaking cover artist to top this.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:43 AM   #7458
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Music preference is pretty subjective, but there are some pretty good English covers out there. (I've mentioned Rebecca Watanabe's versions of Kimi no Na Wa's OST before as an example; incidentally I just found out the Western release of the film just came out in cinemas and am trying to convince my friend to go see it with me.) NateWantsToBattle and AmaLee are good candidates as well, I like both their covers of BokuMachi's OP. (Aside: I like this Japanese cover for the instrumentals and intonation, although his accent is pretty heavy lol.)

Also plugging this English cover of Children Record, which is one of the best I've encountered lyrically. (I love how the chorus is reinterpreted as "boys and girls it's time to wake up/grow up" at different points.) His Flyers cover is pretty fun too. I like that they're not afraid to take liberties and employ a plethora of English colloquialisms.

This Rewrite cover is not bad either (making a fairly decent replacement for the original being blocked on YT lol).
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:03 AM   #7459
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Also, I'm sure all of us can probably appreciate this.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:04 AM   #7460
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Somehow my post got messed up. I originally made reference to the Autotune nature of the two, but the sentences got cut off somehow.

I usually skip OPs/EDs for anime these days unless they're particularly catchy (like the aforementioned "Kuusou Mesorogiwi", alongside "Guren no Yumiya"). If the song is designed for the anime, and not produced as an independent single then picked for the anime OP (think Inner Circle's "Bad Boys") I'm far more likely to listen to it than a generic J-pop OP.

I didn't cherrypick the two OPs myself, since I skipped both when watching both series after listening to them once. This isn't my usual scene. Rather, the English covers were brought to my attention because competent English artists adapted what were considered garbage songs. Japanese OPs routinely trounce English covers, although it's hard to evaluate since you have professional v. amateur there. Here, we have some really, really competent amateurs who have done pro work versus some really bad pros, evening the playing field.

That said...I find it interesting because what exposure I've had to covers, over the past decade, has been exclusively negative. I know YT has especially now been really good at allowing talent to float to the surface, but I would have figured super talented folks would still largely ignore seasonal anime like Overlord or Youjo Senki.

The "Chattanoia" one is especially grabbing to me because while the original does feature copious English, it is a nice translation for the Japanese language lyrics in the original and still fits the melody. That's sort of hard to do, preserving the original meaning while also making it lyrical.

Though sometimes you can just "hear it".

ファイナルフュージョン承認だ!
Final Fusion is now Authorized!
今だ! 超人合体だ!
Now super robot, it's time to combine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
That and "Rewrite" are really good, but what I really want to hear is a Japanese translation of the 4Kids Opening, in a Japanese-like key, portraying itself as the original Pokemon OP from which the 4Kids version was derived.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-12-2017, 03:06 AM   #7461
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
Sorry. ^^; Quit halfway through the second line of the first cycle of the chorus. She just ... she's not the original, not even close. She puts passion on weird words and omits it from others that need it. (The way she says "Pokemon!" in the chorus is so utterly devoid of passion as to make me want to quit listening. ^^;; ) Not trying to be negative, just sharing honest feedback.

What it did make me do is want to listen to the original again.

Quote:
what I really want to hear is a Japanese translation of the 4Kids Opening, in a Japanese-like key, portraying itself as the original Pokemon OP from which the 4Kids version was derived.
Now that's an in interesting idea. The musical style of the US opening is so American, or rather, so not Japanese as to break the illusion, I think. But it would still be interesting to hear a Japanese cover. And so with that said ...

A Japanese upload of our OP, with comments!

I couldn't find what you were looking for, Doppel, but I did try. :') For now, let's enjoy these comments!
アメリカらしい なんと言うか冒険らしさ、ワイルドさ、希望を感じる
It's so like America. How do I say it ... the adventure-likeness, the wildness, you feel the hope

英語版のいいねー
The English version sure is great, isn't it?
There was also an upload on NicoNico, in which half the people seemed to tease and make fun on the basis of it not being the original while the other half all had this or similar to say;
かっこいいいいいいいい!
SOOOO COOL!
It's nice to see that roughly 50% of Japanese viewers can agree that, even if it's not the version that they grew up with, our (American) first OP theme song is still great on its own merits and can be enjoyed alongside "Mezase! Pokémon Master".
Old 04-12-2017, 03:24 AM   #7462
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Sorry. ^^; Quit halfway through the second line of the first cycle of the chorus. She just ... she's not the original, not even close. She puts passion on weird words and omits it from others that need it. (The way she says "Pokemon!" in the chorus is so utterly devoid of passion as to make me want to quit listening. ^^;; ) Not trying to be negative, just sharing honest feedback.
*shrug* Again, subjective. I don't think it's a particularly standout rendition myself, but it's more the nostalgic sentiment behind it (with the video as well). Same with her God Knows cover.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:51 AM   #7463
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Now that's an in interesting idea. The musical style of the US opening is so American, or rather, so not Japanese as to break the illusion, I think. But it would still be interesting to hear a Japanese cover. And so with that said ...

A Japanese upload of our OP, with comments!

I couldn't find what you were looking for, Doppel, but I did try. :') For now, let's enjoy these comments!
アメリカらしい なんと言うか冒険らしさ、ワイルドさ、希望を感じる
It's so like America. How do I say it ... the adventure-likeness, the wildness, you feel the hope

英語版のいいねー
The English version sure is great, isn't it?
There was also an upload on NicoNico, in which half the people seemed to tease and make fun on the basis of it not being the original while the other half all had this or similar to say;
かっこいいいいいいいい!
SOOOO COOL!
It's nice to see that roughly 50% of Japanese viewers can agree that, even if it's not the version that they grew up with, our (American) first OP theme song is still great on its own merits and can be enjoyed alongside "Mezase! Pokémon Master".
Japan has about the same level of interest in Japanese dubs of American songs for anime or tokusatsu as we do for English dubs of the same. When Masaaki Endoh was commissioned to do one of the modern Super Sentai OPs for JAM PROJECT, someone linked him to this, which lead to THIS.

Since I saw that cover, I've held out hope someone will, someday, do a Japanese one for the American Pokemon OP and try to pass it off on April Fools as the original. Like that Pixar Lotso viral marketing campaign.

A few more examples of what I'm talking about, with the "Japanese sound", which is French for "it sounds a bit different":

"Moonlight Densetsu", Sailor Moon (JP)
"Moonlight Densetsu" (ENG)

"Makafushigi Adventure", Dragonball (JP)
"Makafushigi Adventure" (ENG)

"We Are!", One Piece (JP)
"We Are! (ENG)
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-12-2017, 04:15 AM   #7464
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

On the subject of Masaaki Endoh and God Knows...
Old 04-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #7465
deoxys
Fog Badge

I finally watched kimi no na wa. I don't have much to add on top of what has already been said by other people here due to similar opinions, but it was absolutely worth the watch, gorgeously animated, and incredibly moving and emotional. It may have a lot of problems, but it was a phenomenal journey, and one I am glad I invested my time in being a part of.

Side note; I have no idea why, but I've managed to limp my way through 20 episodes of Shin Sekai Yori. Anime fans have insisted that it's some sort of hidden sci-fi gem not to be missed, and here I am 20 episodes in feeling like I could have better invested my time in a well-known gem not to be missed that I have yet to watch. I can't help but feel the story is preparing to do something explosively out of left field for its finale that made fans go from zero to "what an incredible show", because I quite frankly see no other justification for it being anything worth investing in up to this point in time. I will say that if it DOES turn out to be a show that becomes "retroactively good" due to developments in the last two or three episodes, that does not make an entire 25 episode show suddenly "good" and worth watching. If it was 12 episodes? Okay, yeah, maybe that works - I've watched plenty of 12-13 episode anime that managed to really impress me enough with the last few episodes to bump up my overall impression of the show, even if it wasn't exactly great before that. But 25? You have to do something really crazy in the final stretch to be able to justify 20 episodes of such an uninteresting story with uninteresting characters, and to me I just don't see that happening.

Last edited by deoxys; 04-13-2017 at 10:52 AM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #7466
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I've downloaded Granblue Fantasy though BBB insists it's horribly generic. Primarily because it's like a JRPG without the mechanics.

But in this day and age, where every JRPG anime features mechanics, that's fresh and invgorating!

The new SnK OP isn't much. It feels like another verse of "Jiyuu no Tsubasa" which itself felt like movement two of "Guren no Yumiya". The OP direction was pretty bleh too, nowhere near as iconic as the one from 2013. I feel bad for Linked Horizon, it's beginning to seem like they were a one-hit-wonder.

Fushigi no iipatsu?

2013 had so many pimped out OPs for franchise-tier shows. Jojo, Mirai Nikki, and SnK all had good stuff. Not a ton stands out since then except "Heart wo Rock!" from last Fall, and "Los! Los! Los!" from this Winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Side note; I have no idea why, but I've managed to limp my way through 20 episodes of Shin Sekai Yori. Anime fans have insisted that it's some sort of hidden sci-fi gem not to be missed, and here I am 20 episodes in feeling like I could have better invested my time in a well-known gem not to be missed that I have yet to watch. I can't help but feel the story is preparing to do something explosively out of left field for its finale that made fans go from zero to "what an incredible show", because I quite frankly see no other justification for it being anything worth investing in up to this point in time. I will say that if it DOES turn out to be a show that becomes "retroactively good" due to developments in the last two or three episodes, that does not make an entire 25 episode show suddenly "good" and worth watching. If it was 12 episodes? Okay, yeah, maybe that works - I've watched plenty of 12-13 episode anime that managed to really impress me enough with the last few episodes to bump up my overall impression of the show, even if it wasn't exactly great before that. But 25? You have to do something really crazy in the final stretch to be able to justify 20 episodes of such an uninteresting story with uninteresting characters, and to me I just don't see that happening.
Is that the show with Squealer? If so, I think there's a certain meme quality to it. The same thing goes with Kemono Friends from this season.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #7467
Talon87
時の彼方へ

My friend's brother says Shinsekai yori is a 10/10.

I know better. (See Shinsekai yori thread for detailed posts on each episode.)
Old 04-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #7468
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Granblue Fantasy

This show ain't bad. It's well acted, looks good, and the characters are very attractive. I would go gay for Gran, if you know what I mean, but I don't have to because Lyria and Katalina look like supermodels. And I already know in advance from certain anatomically arousing doujins that characters like Mary are pretty too.

The dialogue had an unintentional effect of triggering some feelings of regret, because I'm still coming off the end of Youjo Senki. I heard words like "lieutenant", "empire" and "soldier" and got some complicated feelings surfaced.

I have to ask myself why I have emotional investment in World War I, a story that ended 70 years before I was born.

Man, I need to write that topic...I got time tomorrow.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-15-2017, 09:13 PM   #7469
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Granblue Fantasy Episode II:

OH WELL I slept through the day, so that Youjo Senki topic will have to wait, tee hee~

Now for this thing. I'm disappointed because of the plot it's basically saying that the canon ship is Gran x Lyria. THAT SUCKS.

Also, I was listening to Vyr. The more he talks, the more he sounds like Kugumiya Rie. Am I imagining things?!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #7470
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I don't think I'm going to be watching any Spring shows for a while. Persona 5 is as good as it is time consuming. How time consuming is it? I put 40 hours into it and I'm only 1/3 through with it.

I did sample two Spring shows, so I guess I can go on about them.

Alice to Zouroku
It's the old man disciplining magical lolis show! This show doesn't seem so bad, but nothing really stands out about it either. The only thing about it that caught my attention is the fact the art style looks kind of like Ume's art style. One good thing is that it's JC Staff, and it's not obnoxious. That in itself is amazing.

Renai Boukun
The premise sounded so incredibly stupid, but I was so dry on things to watch that I just picked it up. Surprisingly, I actually like this show. It is stupid as hell, but it's a good stupid. The main draw is that the female protagonist keeps pulling crazy unexpected bullshit out of her ass. It's similar to Dokuro-chan, but it's more than the same obnoxious "Guy bets beat to death for "misunderstandings"" nonsense. I'm afraid it'll end up getting stale, because while most of the jokes had fair variety, it's difficult to make an entire show of fresh jokes. Out of the entire two shows I watched, this is my favorite of the season!

God damnit Persona.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #7471
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
I don't think I'm going to be watching any Spring shows for a while. Persona 5 is as good as it is time consuming. How time consuming is it? I put 40 hours into it and I'm only 1/3 through with it.

[...]

God damnit Persona.
Haha, it's okay. I've been in much the same boat for, man does the time fly, two years now. Too much good stuff competing for my attention. It's a good problem to have, but it does necessarily mean that a lot of things I care about get neglected for long periods of time.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:30 AM   #7472
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Granblue Fantasy Episode 3

This continues to be he Katalina show and I've told BBB about how stimulating it is. It's like taking an over-sized electrode, setting it to XXX and jamming it into the erogenous zones of the brain. I practically short-circuited my keyboard with drool oozing from my limp jaw.

Rackam is also a terrible shot. He obviously did not learn to shoot in the Marine Corps.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #7473
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Granblue Fantasy 4

To cope with now the horrible realization that I am a "long sleeper", here's a comfy anime to lullaby me to sleep!

Rackam is great. Definitely my top male character in this show, though I don't want him to pair off with my #1 female Katalina (who I want for myself). The adults in Granblue are pretty cool actually.

Are adolescents really this boring in real life? =3=

It's just so odd to see how uninteresting they are, despite being the main leads. I guess Gran is okay. But Lyria's startling resemblance to a cardboard flap is stunning.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-23-2017, 11:51 PM   #7474
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I need to start watching Granblue, if only so that I can see what all the fuss is about in the doujin and greater fanart communities. I still have Episodes 01 and 02 from months ago to watch, let alone the newest ones. Hmm ...

Enjoying Lia's vocal rendition of "Negai ga Kanau Basho" / "The Place Where Wishes Come True" tonight. Once again reminded of Mcsweeney's opinions on this scene, and this moment in time. And still find myself agreeing so, so strongly. Not only one of the greatest scenes in all of anime, not only one of the best build-ups in all of anime, but what should have been one of the most grand and memorable finales in all of anime ... and then ... they just kept going. ^^;; Stop. You already had the perfect ending. Where are you going. Well ... I guess this is okay too, but ... You left the perfect ending back there, guys ... Guys? D:

Been busy these past few weeks with studies and the occasional Zyuranger episode. I'm through Episode 30 right now, of 50 total. I'll post about it tomorrow or so in the Zyuranger thread if I remember to.

Learned from a co-worker today that apparently Kūjō Jōtarō's voice actor voices one of the characters in the Japanese dub of the Blizzard PC game Overwatch. Kantai Collection had gotten me accustomed to the trend of sourcing cheap/nascent voice acting talent in place of expensive/veteran talent, so it was surprising to me, amusingly so, to hear that someone like him would be voicing a character in Overwatch. Going to have to look up tomorrow who all else voices those characters, just to see if any others of our favorites are voicing them. Couldn't wait: here's the list! Mai waifu Itou Shizuka voices the sexy Widowmaker, yes please. I don't recognize too many of the other names, and the few I looked up all seem to be pretty new to the industry, which suggests to me that maybe the KanColle trend continues. Sad for fans of established VAs but great news for budding VAs looking to break into an ever-crowded field of work.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:23 AM   #7475
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I watched episode 1 of Granblue Fantasy and I was really bothered by the art style. The weird lines make the images look like they aren't sharp and distract me. They look like they should be paintings or drawings, but they're animated and not odd. I know it's a stylistic choice to match the game's Final Fantasy Tactic's like art, but it's one that irks me. If it was only for like background or wide shots I could understand, but all the characters should be in focus with clean lines. Also I hate that little dragon thing.

I also hate the heavier and heavier use of CGI in anime now. It's very clearly not the same art quality as the non-CGI portions and it gets distracting. Berserk became unwatchable for me because of it.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime