UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 07-17-2020, 01:57 AM   #7951
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I got my sister to watch Kaguya-sama.

She hates it, because "nothing happens".
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:41 PM   #7952
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

That's not an uncommon response to a lot of modern media. People have been conditioned by great shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and The Expanse and expect that shows to have long running plot lines. While I do understand the appeal, it doesn't fit every story.

Cowboy Bebop, while the story advances in timeline, the characters pretty much don't grow and their situation in life doesn't change. They need money and they gotta take up a new bounty hunting job. It mirrors people's everyday lives of going to work and dealing with a mess or a disaster at their job and ending the day going home only to repeat the process the next day. The show would lose the metaphor if the Bebop crew got a big score and paid off their debts and succeeded in life.

In Kaguya-sama, I feel like it's about the everyday school life of the characters. I don't know about you, but a lot of my school days were the same thing and while I enjoyed fun times with my friends, it was basically the same thing tomorrow and the day after until graduation. There was no great plot and big moments were not regular and not big enough to change my everyday life.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:58 PM   #7953
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

We have some details on the KyoAni killer, whose name is "Aoba".

Apparently his motivation for burning down KyoAni is he submitted a novel to KyoAni, but they ended up selecting a similar work called Tsurune and quickly adapting it for an anime. Scenes from Aoba's manuscript where plagiarised and appeared in the Tsurune anime, and he was furious that he spend 2 years on his work only for it to be plagiarized.

KyoAni is denying they even read his work, but if this accusation is true this probably won't be the last incidence of authors complaining that KyoAni plagiarized from their submissions.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-21-2020, 12:40 AM   #7954
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Demon King, Retry!

Episode 04 of this. It's like a less edgy Overlord. The basic framework is similar - guy gets isekai'd to a world based on an MMORPG he is familiar with, and NPCs he created come alive as his underlings.

The key distinction is the original MMORPG is a science fiction, and this "Demon King" is actually a high-ranking yakuza lord. The guy who gets transported is also the programmer of the game, and he knows the reason he was summoned to the new world fairly quickly.

So while less edgy, it's far more focused and goal-oriented than Overlord. Paradoxically, the character designer appears to be the same as Re:Zero, so you get similar-looking characters about:

i'll probably keep watching this. It's pretty inoffensive despite having parents in Overlord and Re:Zero of all things.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-21-2020, 03:04 PM   #7955
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Demon King, Retry!
RATING: 7/10 (Good)

This is fairly low budget but it's comfy and goes at a nice pace. It stays on track and doesn't deviate from the basic premise due to side stories. You get a lot of Kunai, since he is the most interesting character.

The downside is the story ends abruptly. It leaves off on a TBC without the guarantee of a second season. Otherwise, I'd give this an 8/10. Despite none of the components being original, the show is special (like Tsukimichi) in that the entire thing transcends the parts.

Is it overall better than Overlord and Re:Zero? Yes...if you concede that the lows of those shows are not balanced out by the highs. For many, Overlord is a premise first, delivery second. Demon King, Retry! is the opposite, and that's a good thing.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-27-2020, 11:08 PM   #7956
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Tsukimichi web novel

I should be doing my CMP, but I can't stop reading this. I sung the praises of the manga earlier and the novel is just as good.
Quite simply, this is the greatest isekai. The writer of this is definitely great, as he shows incredibly savvy and restraint with his characters and isn't afraid to show real emotion.
This novel is laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawng, I've been at it for 3 days and I'm only 30% of the way through, but if it delivers...I could place it in the same pantheon as other masterpieces like Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Not an exaggeration. Time will tell.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-02-2020, 10:22 PM   #7957
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I finally caught up with everything. I will be making a topic dedicated to this epic.

What's most amazing about Tsukimichi aside from its quality? The release schedule. 1 chapter every two days. That's like web comic release schedule, but...it's a freaking manga/anime episode script.

And earlier this year it was 1 chapter/day. Holy fudge!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-03-2020, 01:56 PM   #7958
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Mou ni natta node dungeon tsukutte jingai musume to honobono suru

Isekai Apocalypse Mynoghira

Reading these two got me to realize how special Tsukimichi is, as the above two coast on cute girls carrying the plot. Otherwise, there's very little unique substance to them.

Ugh, I'm feeling withdrawal...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #7959
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I know nobody remembers Hataraku Maoh but the final novel spoilers dropped and the shippers are seething more loudly than a leaking balloon.

Spoiler: show
Chiho wins over Emi.

Seems solid to me. Shippos got rekt hahaha.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-29-2020, 01:52 AM   #7960
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Touge Oni

Pretty OK manga about Japanese folklore. At least it's not isekai!

Also, I've spent the last month re-reading Tsukimichi and also reading machine translations of the webnovel.

I hate myself, I'm so hopless.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-01-2020, 03:15 AM   #7961
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Mushoku Tensei

Unexpectedly good, I regret bashing it previously. It's very different from what people think of it on the outside. I'd say from the translated manga it's

-30% cultivation
-60% drama
-10% action-adventure

It plays into the "isekai" gimmick very well. In the back of Rudeus mind are his embarrassment and shame for his former life, which haunt his actions in his reincarnation like the spectre of a malicious ghost.

I had also expected that Rudeus would be morally disgusting but for a former otaku he's surprisingly fragile. At least, the romances in this are good. Like, better than shoujo good. The relationships are messy but as Loki would say they're 'realistic'?

I'm unsure if I'll continue with the webnovel, though. I burned through 7 years of manga and the art is really good - honestly, better than [i]Tsukimichi[/i's. Maybe after 1 more chapter I'll finish with the WN.

The King of Caves will Live a Paradise Life

Not an isekai but might as well. It's about a human forming a dwarf kingdom at coral reef in the middle of an ocean. Burty good.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-02-2020, 12:56 AM   #7962
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Maken no Harem Life

It's a blood hentai. But that isn't bad. Pretty sensual although regrettably low on emotional investment.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-02-2020, 02:50 AM   #7963
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Strongest Mage

This is like isekai Geass. The MC is Level 1002 and wants to live his life in his reincarnated world lazily. However, stuff keeps trying to mess with him, so he has to turn into "ZERO" to deal with it.

Weakest Mage

This is OK. The 'weakest mage' is obviously OP and not weak at all, but this is a harem story (unlike Strongest Mage) and isn't as fun.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #7964
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kuro no Shoukanshi - pretty boring. Main guy isn't likeable though he bangs his slave in Chapter 6-7, but the characters are so weak there's no gravitas to it.

Most isekais that seem to cross the line have so far been pretty disappointing. The only ones with a slow burn romance were Mushoku and Tsukimichi.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-05-2020, 06:29 AM   #7965
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ore no Ie ga Maryoku Spot Datta Ken: Sundeiru dake de Sekai Saikyou

I'm not going to even attempt to shorten this one. It's an isekai of a guy who gets teleported with his house...who was built with the wood of a magic cherry tree and projects as the spirit of a cute girl. Suffice to say, the guy bangs his house, and more houses sprout up when she gets "pregnant".

Outside of this early chapter hook there's not a lot to this series that is entertaining or original, outside of some preliminary gags that get old fast.

Risou no Himo

This is excellent and just what the doctor ordered. I was looking for an "isekai with banging that wasn't total smut" and this is it.

Main guy gets summoned to another world by a beautiful Queen who is looking for a husband. He's the descendant of distant royals of hers who went to another world and she needs to thicken the bloodline with magic.
He agrees and becomes her prince consort, and much of the story is the management of her fiefdom without eroding her power as a strong Queen. So, most of the main guy's accomplishments go to her, and he has to submarine his own reputation so her rule isn't challenged.

It's really wholesome. A truly Christian-approved manga, if you know what I mean.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-07-2020, 11:21 PM   #7966
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Shingeki no Kyojin is still excellent and I'm excited to see the new season even if it's animated by garbage MAPPA.

Now, Chainsaw Man has gotten really awful really quickly. Apparently the author has an issue with trainwrecks. Looks like Loki was right to bail on this one.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-08-2020, 08:03 AM   #7967
Connor
Flashbacker

In what way do you feel Chainsawman has dropped off in quality?
Old 09-08-2020, 11:16 AM   #7968
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The 'main villain' is already dead and the manga is trying to find new direction, but it isn't clicking for me at all. It's completely pointless. Similar to Kaguya, once the main conflict is solved the manga doesn't have much reason to exist anymore, yet, the authors are continuing them.

If KnY is the gold standard, once Muzan died the manga lasted 4 chapters after that. Add this to some recent breaks for Chainsaw I don't think is justified by the artwork and its been a real pain to follow the past few months.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #7969
Connor
Flashbacker

I feel like the series has been very upfront about the fact Makima posed just as much threat as the Gun Devil ever did. She has at every turn been portrayed ominously and there was even a clear discussion between characters on attempting to kill her.

I kinda get where you're coming from but I also think you're misinterpreting the content.

Of course I could be being slightly influenced by having read Fire Punch (the author's previous work) which had a similar kind of delineation between arcs, especially in that the initial "main villain" ended up dying long before the completion of the manga.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:49 PM   #7970
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

"threat" but to who? The world?

I don't care about any of the faceless humans in this series. I only care about Denji, Aki and to a lesser extent, Power. But because Power is a Fiend, we know that when she dies she just goes back to Heck...so there's less tension if she's killed versus, say, Aki.

The series was all about Denji's story and made no statements about why humanity was worth protecting...if anything, Denji had the least connection to the Gun Devil, only seeking it due to his agreement with Makima. Aki's connection was far more personal.

Most of the principal characters are now dead, so unless Denji's life is in danger - which I highly doubt - the manga seems directionless.

I hold a different opinion toward most people regarding the recent chapter - namely, I see it as Makima honouring Aki's wish by preventing the future he saw from happening.

When we consider the contents of the Future Devil's hints, it seems like the original future = good for humanity and Aki's future = good for Makima, Denji. The true form of the Chainsaw Devil is bad for Makima but good for humans, so Aki asking for help means he prioritized Denji over the human race.

So instrumentality happens, the named characters are happy, cue curtain. Kind of a bad end but at least it's not The Rumbling.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-17-2020, 10:26 PM   #7971
Loki

Dragon's Dogma

Capcom made a Netflix anime of their game. I liked the original game and I know Capcom has been thinking about making a sequel to it as well since it was surprisingly successful, but they opted for Devil May Cry 5 instead. This led me to believe this would be a retelling of the original story to drive up a bit of possible hype for a sequel. Well... nope.

The main protagonist loses his family to the dragon and has his heart stolen away by said dragon and set upon the path of vengeance. He is accompanied by a pawn, a soulless human who acts as his guardian to aid in the slaying of the dragon. As he travels in search of the beast, he begins to see the dark nature of humanity and sinks into darkness himself. Telling anymore and it's basically stating the whole show's plot. There's only seven episodes and they're pretty quick.

The story is very short and there's no real plot. Where it could have gone on a kind of Berserk Guts-esque revenge plot with a dark hero, it really doesn't explore the depths of the main protagonist enough to really give it much weight. We only really know he's a kind person at the start and then we're told later that he's changed. Other characters also act very strangely just for the theme of the episode and doesn't give us much to work with. Characters are introduced and immediately die or are never seen again.

I don't really suggest this show, but it's like 3 hours in total so whatever.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:43 PM   #7972
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'd heard Netflix anime are pretty cheap-looking, did it look QUALITY?

If only a 7-episode OVA it probably shouldn't, but I dunno. Isn't Capcom broke?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-18-2020, 09:03 AM   #7973
Loki

Land of the Lustrous and Beastars kind of proved that CGI animation can look good, but this was just kinda okay. Not Berserk 2016/17 bad, but not Beastars good either. Faces look alright, movement is good. Things still look a bit stiff, but not horribly. Also doesn't stand out like a sore thumb from everything else since everything is CGI as opposed to mixing with CGI.

Capcom has had three years of profits thanks to great stuff like RE remakes, Devil May Cry 5, and Monster Hunter World. The rumors of bankruptcy for Capcom is an old meme from like 2012 and hasn't been true since Monster Hunter 4. And they've had 4 more Monster Hunters releases since then.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:31 PM   #7974
Loki

Deca-Dence

Remember when I made a joke that Attack on Titan was a real world video game simulation that everyone forgot was a video game? Well, apparently that's what Deca-Dence is! Are Kadokawa Studios reading UPNf posts for ideas? I'm enjoying what I've seen thus far, but it is 2020, so I can't get my hopes up like I did for Darling in the Franxx.

Last edited by Loki; 09-18-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:13 PM   #7975
Loki

Up to Deca-Dence's penultimate episode, I might regret saying this come next week, but... Anime of the Year. Hands down. They might still Franxx it, but it's 2020, we gotta have hope to get through this year lol.

1) Deca-Dence
2) Kaguya-sama: Love is War S2
3) Hamefura

I didn't watch Re:Zero S2 because they repeated "Who's Rem?" and I kinda gave up. Rem isn't my best girl or anything, but that joke was repeated so much to me that when the series started with it, I just kinda stopped. Maybe I'll watch it after it's done. Rent-a-Girlfriend might be on my radar but I haven't been in the mood for such a show.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime